Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

McMurphy - Boise and SDSU glad they didn't stick around AAC
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
McMurphy - Boise and SDSU glad they didn't stick around AAC
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 05:45 PM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
07-11-2013 05:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
RE: McMurphy - AAC bowl lineup will be no better than MWC
To be fair, I didn't get that same impression. He said, "bowl lineup still TBA for American, media rights $ about same, don't have excessive travel costs & keep all sports in same league." For those two, everything on there except bowls made more sense with the Mountain West and the bowls line-up is still work in progress for now.
07-11-2013 05:22 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(07-11-2013 05:19 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  And says Boise and San Diego glad they didn't stick around AAC.

https://mobile.twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/...9385831424

07-11-2013 05:31 PM
RobUCF Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
(07-11-2013 05:22 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  To be fair, I didn't get that same impression. He said, "bowl lineup still TBA for American, media rights $ about same, don't have excessive travel costs & keep all sports in same league." For those two, everything on there except bowls made more sense with the Mountain West and the bowls line-up is still work in progress for now.

I agree, all McMurphy stated was that the AAC bowl lineup was TBA and with other considerations (travel costs, keeping sports in same league, etc.), they do not regret their choice. Nowhere did he state that the AAC bowl lineup will not be better...
07-11-2013 05:31 PM
monarchman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
Misleading thread title.

"Bowl lineup still TBA for American" says it all.
07-11-2013 05:40 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: McMurphy - Boise and SDSU glad they didn't stick around AAC
Boise is going to make 3 million a year probably. That's more than they would have earned in the AAC and they done have the extensive travel and they don't throw their Olympic sports under a bus. Keep in mind, Boise was going to have to pay about 900K in travel subsidies a year just to be in the modest little Big West conference. The move to stay in the MW makes a lot of sense for them regardless of the final bowl outcome.

SDSU doesn't get as much of a financial boost, but they probably are better off too--especially if the AAC wasn't going to add anymore western teams.
07-11-2013 06:02 PM
Advertisement

johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
Is it rude to say that Boise isn't concerned with the MWC bowls besides the Las Vegas and maybe Poinsettia? They're not going to be playing in the New Mexico Bowl or Armed Forces Bowl, or substituting for a 5-7 UH in the Hawaii Bowl.

You could always say, though, that AAC + Boise would have had better bowls than AAC or MWC + Boise.
07-11-2013 07:14 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
McMurphy's opinions only. Nowhere does he state he is speaking for Boise and SDSU. They probably are glad to be in MWC, despite AAC having (potentially) better bowls. Mainly due to all sports being in one conf.
07-11-2013 07:28 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-11-2013 06:02 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Boise is going to make 3 million a year probably. That's more than they would have earned in the AAC and they done have the extensive travel and they don't throw their Olympic sports under a bus. Keep in mind, Boise was going to have to pay about 900K in travel subsidies a year just to be in the modest little Big West conference. The move to stay in the MW makes a lot of sense for them regardless of the final bowl outcome.

SDSU doesn't get as much of a financial boost, but they probably are better off too--especially if the AAC wasn't going to add anymore western teams.

Tulsa's prez stated that when they joined they would make 3.5-4 mil a year in AAC. Aresco has stated several times AAC revenue is under reported. We have never seen a firm figure for revenues.
07-11-2013 07:30 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
Two reasons why they could be happier in the MWC than the AAC:

1) Travel expenses.
2) Easier path to a conference championship.
07-11-2013 07:46 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
less travel is obvious, but not having to find a separate home(s) for your other sports is also a big factor, IMO. This way Boise & SDSU can play all sports in the Mtn West.
07-11-2013 07:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
Staying in the MWC is huge for their non-football sports, specifically basketball. Their programs would have died in the Big West. Eight of eleven MWC members have basketball arenas exceeding 10k in capacity, four of which exceed 15k. The Big West has one of nine members with a capacity exceeding 10k (Hawaii).
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 08:11 PM by OrangeCrush22.)
07-11-2013 08:10 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(07-11-2013 07:30 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  
(07-11-2013 06:02 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Boise is going to make 3 million a year probably. That's more than they would have earned in the AAC and they done have the extensive travel and they don't throw their Olympic sports under a bus. Keep in mind, Boise was going to have to pay about 900K in travel subsidies a year just to be in the modest little Big West conference. The move to stay in the MW makes a lot of sense for them regardless of the final bowl outcome.

Tulsa's prez stated that when they joined they would make 3.5-4 mil a year in AAC. Aresco has stated several times AAC revenue is under reported. We have never seen a firm figure for revenues.

I never said what the AAC revenue was, but I'll use your best number.

Keep in mind, Boise was football only. They would not have participated in NCAA basketball credits and would have only received a partial share of media money and exit fees. Whatever the AAC income is, Boise was only going to make about 70% of what the full members make. Same goes for SDSU. So even if we make 4 million each, Boise would have only received 2.8 million. Plus they would be paying 900K in travel subsidies in the Big West. So effectively, Boise would have been netting 1.9 million a year by the most optimistic figures floated by Tulsa.

That doesn't even count the extra travel costs and the demotion of their Olympic sports to the Big West. Without a western all sports AAC western division, the AAC's current media contract just didn't work for Boise. The move was made with the assumption that AAC schools would make at least 6.8 million a year--when we were no where near that number, the original strategy was dead.
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 08:15 PM by Attackcoog.)
07-11-2013 08:12 PM
johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(07-11-2013 08:12 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Keep in mind, Boise was football only. They would not have participated in NCAA basketball credits and would have only received a partial share of media money and exit fees. Whatever the AAC income is, Boise was only going to make about 70% of what the full members make. Same goes for SDSU. So even if we make 4 million each, Boise would have only received 2.8 million. Plus they would be paying 900K in travel subsidies in the Big West. So effectively, Boise would have been netting 1.9 million a year by the most optimistic figures floated by Tulsa.

That doesn't even count the extra travel costs and the demotion of their Olympic sports to the Big West. Without a western all sports AAC western division, the AAC's current media contract just didn't work for Boise. The move was made with the assumption that AAC schools would make at least 6.8 million a year--when we were no where near that number, the original strategy was dead.

Unless y'all were willing to kick in a significant bribe to Boise to stay, which you weren't.
07-11-2013 08:40 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(07-11-2013 07:14 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  Is it rude to say that Boise isn't concerned with the MWC bowls besides the Las Vegas and maybe Poinsettia? They're not going to be playing in the New Mexico Bowl or Armed Forces Bowl, or substituting for a 5-7 UH in the Hawaii Bowl.

I could see Boise in a Hawaii Bowl every so often. If they're not cracking into the CFP, playing in the same two games every year will get old. They won't want to play in the Hawaii Bowl in a year when they play a regular-season game there, but Boise will have only one regular-season game at Hawaii every four years.
07-11-2013 09:03 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

One thing your forgetting, AAC/BE TV money would been greater than it currently is had Boise and SDSU stayed in BE. How much more, we'll never know. We're using AAC figures based on a league currently without them.
07-11-2013 09:08 PM
Advertisement

Bones N Skulls Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU
(07-11-2013 05:19 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  https://mobile.twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/...9385831424

You posting this drivel on bathroom walls too? Might as well, you've posted it everywhere else....
07-11-2013 09:21 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(07-11-2013 09:08 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  

One thing your forgetting, AAC/BE TV money would been greater than it currently is had Boise and SDSU stayed in BE. How much more, we'll never know. We're using AAC figures based on a league currently without them.

I do think the money would have been better with Boise. My preference was an aggressive all sports westward push. I think if we had added Fresno, New Mexico, and UNLV to go with Boise and SDSU as all sports members, we would have made more money and been a more relevant league. Not only that, but I think we would have won the non-AQ slot so often that we would have been seen as a quasi-AQ league. It think it would have been a pretty good basketball league with UNLV, New Mexico, and SDSU out west. We could have even added VCU in the east and BYU in the west as Olympic only members. That league would have 8 bids most years.
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 09:30 PM by Attackcoog.)
07-11-2013 09:29 PM
Underdog Offline
All American

I Root For: The American
(07-11-2013 05:19 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  https://mobile.twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/...9385831424

Another MAC attack on the AAC with this value menu thread that you started....
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2013 09:10 AM by Underdog.)
07-12-2013 09:05 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Seriously?
Talk about stretching something for effect.
The American will be fine. Perhaps now, once all this conference realignment stuff settles down, The AAC will be able to grow into what The Big East has never been: a stable conference. Like Mick Cronin pointed out in the ESPN article. Most kids don't care what conference you are in. They are more concerned about how you can help them reach their dreams of making it to the next level. Most recruits can't tell you whose in a conference.

The reality all this conference realignment stuff is for the fans and media. It's the opportunity for the media have something to talk about while fans point fingers at each other.
CJ
07-12-2013 10:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.