Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
RE: Boswell on Groza Award watch list
Absolutely and well deserved.

Tough thing about his position... Honors are as much about opportunity as stats. Boz kicks some very long field goals that are meaningful. Others might kick some long field goals as well, but they may not be meaningful. Example. Alabama's kicker might attempt some long FGs, but they are usually against inferior competition with the game not in doubt. 4th and 2 from inside the 40 in a tight game and Bailiff is probably kicking because of his confidence in Boz. Same situation, Alabama is probably punting because of their faith in their defense. If they both end the year with 5 kicks over 50 yards and the same percentage overall, guess who is going to win the award.

Bottom line is that he is one of the top kickers in the country and WILL get a good shot somewhere at the next level whether he wins this award or not.

He deserves this award and might get it... but he deserves it whether or not he gets it
07-10-2013 11:53 AM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
(07-10-2013 11:53 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  Absolutely and well deserved.

Tough thing about his position... Honors are as much about opportunity as stats. Boz kicks some very long field goals that are meaningful. Others might kick some long field goals as well, but they may not be meaningful. Example. Alabama's kicker might attempt some long FGs, but they are usually against inferior competition with the game not in doubt. 4th and 2 from inside the 40 in a tight game and Bailiff is probably kicking because of his confidence in Boz. Same situation, Alabama is probably punting because of their faith in their defense. If they both end the year with 5 kicks over 50 yards and the same percentage overall, guess who is going to win the award.

Bottom line is that he is one of the top kickers in the country and WILL get a good shot somewhere at the next level whether he wins this award or not.

He deserves this award and might get it... but he deserves it whether or not he gets it

Amongst active collegians, Boz has kicked 11 FGs beyond 50 yards. Next highest has just 4 such FGs.
07-10-2013 11:58 AM
mrbig Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
I want to see him nail some 60's, but in the Alabama scenario that Hambone mentioned where Rice is already comfortably ahead.
07-11-2013 11:36 AM
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

(07-10-2013 11:58 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(07-10-2013 11:53 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  He deserves this award and might get it... but he deserves it whether or not he gets it

Amongst active collegians, Boz has kicked 11 FGs beyond 50 yards. Next highest has just 4 such FGs.

Hence the obvious proof that he deserves it. Unfortunately, these awards rarely consider "overall" stats. If he kicks 5 this year, including a 60 yarder and ALL of them to win the game... and the Alabama kicker kicks 5, including a 60 yarder, none of them with any impact whatsoever on the game... and Boz misses 2 completely immaterial 49 yarders into a gale while the Alabama kicker misses two 35 yarders in tight games that they end up winning anyway... he could get screwed.

My points are simply
1) this kid is one of the top kickers in the game - period, and the people who get paid to know this, know this.

2) Being nominated shows his value. Winning would be deserved. Not winning would be immaterial to his value.

I just don't want to put too much stock in any award such that some freak occurrence would somehow diminish his accomplishments. He's not only breaking, but DEMOLISHING records that have been around for a pretty good while.
07-11-2013 12:04 PM
RiceDoc Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsFootball GeniusNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(07-11-2013 12:04 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  He's not only breaking, but DEMOLISHING records that have been around for a pretty good while.

Probably because his HOLDER has a light touch and doesn't pin the ball to the ground in such a way that all the kicking force goes into getting sufficient lift to clear the linemen and instead goes into sufficient distance. Just a SWAG! 05-stirthepot
07-11-2013 01:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

(07-11-2013 01:18 PM)RiceDoc Wrote:  
(07-11-2013 12:04 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  He's not only breaking, but DEMOLISHING records that have been around for a pretty good while.

Probably because his HOLDER has a light touch and doesn't pin the ball to the ground in such a way that all the kicking force goes into getting sufficient lift to clear the linemen and instead goes into sufficient distance. Just a SWAG! 05-stirthepot

Some holders don't like to let go of the ball.
07-11-2013 01:57 PM
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(07-11-2013 01:57 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(07-11-2013 01:18 PM)RiceDoc Wrote:  

Some holders don't like to let go of the ball.

[Image: PAThold_zps5a1130ce.jpg]
07-11-2013 02:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.