Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Penn State Fundraising is Recovering
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Oklahoma
Penn State Fundraising is Recovering
Penn State said Monday its fundraising efforts rebounded last year after a drop-off in donations followed the arrest of former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky
07-08-2013 02:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
RE: Penn State Fundraising is Recovering
That is a little misleading considering they got the largest contribution in their school's history from alum and Buffalo Sabres' owner Terry Pegula. Pegula is a fracking magnate and his gift was for PSU to start a D1 hockey program.
07-08-2013 02:37 PM
psualltheway5 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Penn State
(07-08-2013 02:37 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  That is a little misleading considering they got the largest contribution in their school's history from alum and Buffalo Sabres' owner Terry Pegula. Pegula is a fracking magnate and his gift was for PSU to start a D1 hockey program.

His arena he built on campus is awesome and is set to open this coming season.
07-08-2013 02:39 PM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

The are reporting $238 million last year, an increase of $29 million from a year earlier.
07-08-2013 02:42 PM
psualltheway5 Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-08-2013 02:42 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  The are reporting $238 million last year, an increase of $29 million from a year earlier.

That's surprising considering we have a completely incompetent interim president who sold us out to the NCAA. I'd expect whenever our new president arrives that number could get a whole lot higher.
07-08-2013 02:44 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(07-08-2013 02:30 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  Penn State said Monday its fundraising efforts rebounded last year after a drop-off in donations followed the arrest of former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky

Actually PSU had the second best year ever the year before last (the most recent numbers that I've seen). Scandals are usually GREAT for fundraising because all the alumni feel the need to give.
07-08-2013 02:59 PM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(07-08-2013 02:44 PM)psualltheway5 Wrote:  
(07-08-2013 02:42 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote:  The are reporting $238 million last year, an increase of $29 million from a year earlier.

That's surprising considering we have a completely incompetent interim president who sold us out to the NCAA. I'd expect whenever our new president arrives that number could get a whole lot higher.

When you say "Sold us out" do you mean "Completely saved us from being bent over by the NCAA and possibly kicked out of the B1G"?
07-08-2013 03:00 PM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

It could also be PR.
07-08-2013 03:00 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(07-08-2013 02:39 PM)psualltheway5 Wrote:  
(07-08-2013 02:37 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  That is a little misleading considering they got the largest contribution in their school's history from alum and Buffalo Sabres' owner Terry Pegula. Pegula is a fracking magnate and his gift was for PSU to start a D1 hockey program.

I sincerely hope that they built it over the BJC. The Bryce Jordan Center may honestly be the ugliest building that I've ever seen. It has a decent inside around the court, but the rest is horrific (and that's putting it mildly)
07-08-2013 03:01 PM
psualltheway5 Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-08-2013 03:00 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

When you say "Sold us out" do you mean "Completely saved us from being bent over by the NCAA and possibly kicked out of the B1G"?

No, what the NCAA did was against their own byways and could have easily been fought by any competent lawyer. Errickson signed the consent decree saying that we accept these penalties even though NCAA rules weren't broken. I wouldn't care if the Big 10 kicked us out. They need us more than we need them financially.
07-08-2013 03:04 PM
psualltheway5 Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-08-2013 03:01 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  

I sincerely hope that they built it over the BJC. The Bryce Jordan Center may honestly be the ugliest building that I've ever seen. It has a decent inside around the court, but the rest is horrific (and that's putting it mildly)

No the hockey arena is solely for hockey, nothing else.
07-08-2013 03:06 PM
Advertisement

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(07-08-2013 03:06 PM)psualltheway5 Wrote:  
(07-08-2013 03:01 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  

No the hockey arena is solely for hockey, nothing else.

Well in that case, here's to hoping that lot #44 (I think) gets extended north a little....
07-08-2013 03:11 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(07-08-2013 03:04 PM)psualltheway5 Wrote:  

No, what the NCAA did was against their own byways and could have easily been fought by any competent lawyer. Errickson signed the consent decree saying that we accept these penalties even though NCAA rules weren't broken. I wouldn't care if the Big 10 kicked us out. They need us more than we need them financially.

No it couldn't, the NCAA is a private group and the members used actual by laws to punish PSU. Also the B1G is much bigger than PSU. Count your lucky stars someone with half a brain realized they needed to take their medicine and get on with it. If they fought it then people would have dug deeper into the schools past and the possibility of even more skeletons spilling out was a real risk. Was getting kicked out of the NCAA and having your certification being under review worth it for your egos?
07-08-2013 03:13 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy

Even though an alumni, that's not even close to the truth. Do you have any idea how enrollment there changed since joining that conference? The satellite campuses used to be 2-and-2's, but now almost function as self-servicing colleges. It takes a lot more to get onto Main Campus as an undergrad than it used to.

...and it's even more challenging becoming a faculty member there.
07-08-2013 03:14 PM
psualltheway5 Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-08-2013 03:13 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

No it couldn't, the NCAA is a private group and the members used actual by laws to punish PSU. Also the B1G is much bigger than PSU. Count your lucky stars someone with half a brain realized they needed to take their medicine and get on with it. If they fought it then people would have dug deeper into the schools past and the possibility of even more skeletons spilling out was a real risk. Was getting kicked out of the NCAA and having your certification being under review worth it for your egos?

The NCAA had no right to get involved in the first place as it had nothing to do with football. Penn State was independent until 1991 and they were fine as an independent. Penn State brings in the most money out of anyone in the Big 10 along with the Pittsburgh/Philadelphia markets. Penn State also has the largest alumni association in the country, so we'd be perfectly fine going independent. Not to mention the ACC would quickly swoop us up without hesitation.
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2013 03:17 PM by psualltheway5.)
07-08-2013 03:16 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I agree.

My esteemed alma mater is lucky that it didn't get a 4-5 year death penalty. Fighting the penalty would have been catastrophic for the entire athletic department and much of the school's identity.
07-08-2013 03:16 PM
Advertisement

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(07-08-2013 03:16 PM)psualltheway5 Wrote:  
(07-08-2013 02:44 PM)psualltheway5 Wrote:  That's surprising considering we have a completely incompetent interim president who sold us out to the NCAA. I'd expect whenever our new president arrives that number could get a whole lot higher.

The NCAA had no right to get involved in the first place as it had nothing to do with football. Penn State was independent until 1991 and they were fine as an independent. Penn State brings in the most money out of anyone in the Big 10 along with the Pittsburgh/Philadelphia markets. Penn State also has the largest alumni association in the country, so we'd be perfectly fine going independent.

No. PSU is #3 behind Michigan and Ohio State and it isn't particularly close.

Also, there's no way that anyone would have looked the other way if it was a math teacher or a basketball coach. It absolutely had to do with football and protecting the PSU football brand.

You're right about the alumni network and ACC, though. The problem is that most of the PSU grads that I know don't hire PSU grads for meaningful employment, even those that are PSU fans.
(And yes, I've seen the article about PSU being the #1 place for employers, but if you read the article it's A) because PSU is really, really big, and B) because PSU grads stay put, whereas IVY grads advance, so it's a shallow victory at best)
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2013 03:21 PM by nzmorange.)
07-08-2013 03:18 PM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

This may be an unpopular statement, but I'm not so sure the NCAA had any jurisdiction over this kind of crime. This is an actual crime...not an athletic violation.
psualltheway5 Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-08-2013 03:16 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  
(07-08-2013 02:44 PM)psualltheway5 Wrote:  That's surprising considering we have a completely incompetent interim president who sold us out to the NCAA. I'd expect whenever our new president arrives that number could get a whole lot higher.

I agree.

My esteemed alma mater is lucky that it didn't get a 4-5 year death penalty. Fighting the penalty would have been catastrophic for the entire athletic department and much of the school's identity.

How are we lucky? This had NOTHING to do with football. The NCAA shouldn't be involved in the first place.
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(07-08-2013 03:16 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  

I agree.

One writer said it best, "Should the NCAA have to put in rules to NOT allow and cover up former staff members molesting children on school property?" It's such a heinous crime that such a specific rule would just seem unnecessary before this came out.
07-08-2013 03:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.