Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Anybody Want a Good Laugh?
Bookmark and Share
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
Anybody Want a Good Laugh?
Read this article from Big East Coast Bias way back in Oct.

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2012/10/...ll-schools

My favorite line:

"The Big East basketball schools like Providence, Georgetown, St. John's, and Villanova, will never be better off, financially, on their own. Despite what is often claimed, those schools, were they to form their own conference and leave their association with the football-playing Big East schools, would get only a fraction of the television money on their own compared to what they get by being in a conference with football playing members. Even ones that aren't all that successful at basketball."

04-cheers
07-06-2013 07:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn
RE: Anybody Want a Good Laugh?
ROTFLMAO. 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 10:36 PM by Melky Cabrera.)
07-07-2013 10:35 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
(07-06-2013 07:37 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  Read this article from Big East Coast Bias way back in Oct.

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2012/10/...ll-schools

My favorite line:

"The Big East basketball schools like Providence, Georgetown, St. John's, and Villanova, will never be better off, financially, on their own. Despite what is often claimed, those schools, were they to form their own conference and leave their association with the football-playing Big East schools, would get only a fraction of the television money on their own compared to what they get by being in a conference with football playing members. Even ones that aren't all that successful at basketball."

04-cheers

And this:

"NBC Sports is reportedly prepared to offer the Big East basketball members as much as $4 million per year as part of a larger deal to get the rights to both football and basketball. Are schools like Georgetown, Marquette, and St. John's bigger and more valuable basketball properties than St. Louis, Butler and others in the A-10? Sure. Nevertheless, there's no conceivable collection of basketball schools, without football also being a part of the equation, that would be able to command a number that large. Basketball just doesn't earn the money that football does."

I guess this is why this guy is a blogger and not a TV exec.
07-08-2013 08:54 AM
Advertisement

DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Fox Sports One to Big East: $4.2 million per school per year.
ESPN to AAC: $1.9 million per school per year.

Enough said.
07-08-2013 09:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

The comments section is locked, surprise surprise.
07-08-2013 10:50 AM
Advertisement

aughnanure Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marquette
Give the guy a break. I don't think anyone thought we were going to get what we got. Part of that is the fact that we had ONLY heard about how much football was worth, how football drives the money for conference TV deals, how football was God's gift to TV advertisers, etc and thus the conclusion by many that basketball must not be that important to TV deals (remember when people were talking about KU being left out?).
07-08-2013 12:30 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(07-08-2013 12:30 PM)aughnanure Wrote:  Give the guy a break. I don't think anyone thought we were going to get what we got. Part of that is the fact that we had ONLY heard about how much football was worth, how football drives the money for conference TV deals, how football was God's gift to TV advertisers, etc and thus the conclusion by many that basketball must not be that important to TV deals (remember when people were talking about KU being left out?).

Hey, we have to be able to call out folks who are sooooo far off what happens. They want hits for their site by making claims they have to be called out when they miss the mark as bad as this guy did.
07-08-2013 12:53 PM
Advertisement

IceJus10 Offline
All American

I Root For: Sports
(07-08-2013 09:54 AM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  Fox Sports One to Big East: $4.2 million per school per year.

Enough said.

The Big East no doubt has the BETTER main deal, but those numbers are still a little misleading:

The Big East deal is all-inclusive with Fox Sports, which means: "The agreement grants FOX Sports rights to ALL conference-controlled men’s basketball games, select rights to women’s basketball, ALL Olympic sports and extensive rights for highlights and to produce ancillary programming."

The American doesn't have an all-inclusive media deal. Their deal sells part to ESPN, part to CBS, and the conference maintains ownership/control of the digital media and some television sponsorship properties which will be additional revenue producers to distribute yearly. The American will also see a contract increase once Navy's media rights deal expires and their rights are rolled into the conference.

The only part of the Big East's Fox Sports deal I'm gray about from Fox's own pressers are the "non-select" women's basketball rights, as all other rights appear to belong to Fox and can be sold at their discretion and without additional monetary benefit to the member or conference. While, the American deal doesn't include any 3rd tier rights, so members like UConn can continue to get millions more regionally from all sports including the Husky's more than $1.1-million annually in just women's basketball money.

Anyway you look at these media contracts, it's mission accomplished for both conferences... the Big East got it's basketball-centric conference, will be an anchor for Fox Sports 1, and more tv money per member than they were making. The American got fantastic exposure on CBS/ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 that is better than the old Big East deal seriously P5-like, even if the money isn't. However, with look-ins during year three and contracts that are only six and seven years long - it should benefit their conference as they get established, especially if they deliver some numbers.
07-08-2013 01:44 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(07-08-2013 01:44 PM)IceJus10 Wrote:  
(07-08-2013 09:54 AM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  Fox Sports One to Big East: $4.2 million per school per year.

Enough said.

The Big East no doubt has the BETTER main deal, but those numbers are still a little misleading:

The Big East deal is all-inclusive with Fox Sports, which means: "The agreement grants FOX Sports rights to ALL conference-controlled men’s basketball games, select rights to women’s basketball, ALL Olympic sports and extensive rights for highlights and to produce ancillary programming."

The American doesn't have an all-inclusive media deal. Their deal sells part to ESPN, part to CBS, and the conference maintains ownership/control of the digital media and some television sponsorship properties which will be additional revenue producers to distribute yearly. The American will also see a contract increase once Navy's media rights deal expires and their rights are rolled into the conference.

The only part of the Big East's Fox Sports deal I'm gray about from Fox's own pressers are the "non-select" women's basketball rights, as all other rights appear to belong to Fox and can be sold at their discretion and without additional monetary benefit to the member or conference. While, the American deal doesn't include any 3rd tier rights, so members like UConn can continue to get millions more regionally from all sports including the Husky's more than $1.1-million annually in just women's basketball money.

Anyway you look at these media contracts, it's mission accomplished for both conferences... the Big East got it's basketball-centric conference, will be an anchor for Fox Sports 1, and more tv money per member than they were making. The American got fantastic exposure on CBS/ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 that is better than the old Big East deal seriously P5-like, even if the money isn't. However, with look-ins during year three and contracts that are only six and seven years long - it should benefit their conference as they get established, especially if they deliver some numbers.

Im sorry but i've never seen anything that suggests that the AAC deal gets a bump once Navy comes aboard. There might be a slight bump so that the rest of the members don't start losing money but I doubt that they would get any kind of significant bump for the other 11 members.
07-08-2013 02:17 PM
Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
(07-08-2013 01:44 PM)IceJus10 Wrote:  

Enough said.

Fact of the matter is, we are getting 4 million a year per team for basketball while the AAC is getting ~ 2 million for basketball AND football. Just running a football team easily eats up all that money and alot more.
07-08-2013 07:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.