Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NIU scheduling
Bookmark and Share
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
NIU scheduling
My apologies if someone else posted this and I missed it, but when it comes to discussing whether or not NIU is scheduling up to its potential.....here's one outlet that lists us 11th -- third weakest -- just within the MAC!

http://www.fbschedules.com/2013/06/tough...schedules/
07-02-2013 08:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RitzHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: NIU scheduling
This is definitely an area of improvement for our new AD. We can all agree on that, but there is no where to go but up.
07-02-2013 09:36 AM
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
The Huskies do have a fairly light OOC schedule in '13, considering last year's records of their opponents.

Iowa 4-8
Purdue 6-7
Idaho 1-11

But it is only luck that the Huskies ended up with three OOC FBS opponents who total 11-27 last year. These opponents are determined years in advance. In 2010, the three finished as such:

Iowa 8-5
Purdue 4-8
Idaho 6-7

Total 18-20.

Rumor has it Northwestern wants to schedule a game. Who knows what kind of a team the Wildcats will have four years from now?
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 09:58 AM by Huskie_Jon.)
07-02-2013 09:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
The criticism to the scheduling I don't think is really related to the strength of the opponents solely, because as Jon says you don't know how good a team will be when you schedule them. I don't care where we rank, going on the road into 2 big 10 venues for the non-conf is a strong enough schedule for me. The valid criticism is the fact home scheduling has been neglected for almost 10 years.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 10:03 AM by MaddDawgz02.)
07-02-2013 10:03 AM
cagy cager Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
your constant rants on this are typical of a madman.........you actually think the AD's in the past did not try to schedule better, even big time schools for Huskie Stadium? You don't think they made hundreds of phone calls trying to upgrade the home schedule? do you actually believe the ignored or "neglected" this issue? Why would they do that? Isn't football the cash cow and the ticket for AD's to bigger and better jobs? You have no credibility when you assume AD's did not care or want to get better teams into DeKalb. There are many issues involved which you simplistically or naively ignore. The need for cash games at Soldier Field or away....the idea that of late NIU is too good for many teams to even consider coming to DeKalb....there are only a few dates a year to play with after the conferences lock in their dates....it is complicated so quit acting like it is a simple process that has been ignored.
07-02-2013 12:02 PM
niuco90 Offline
1st String

I Root For: N.I.U.
(07-02-2013 12:02 PM)cagy cager Wrote:  your constant rants on this are typical of a madman.........you actually think the AD's in the past did not try to schedule better, even big time schools for Huskie Stadium? You don't think they made hundreds of phone calls trying to upgrade the home schedule? do you actually believe the ignored or "neglected" this issue? Why would they do that? Isn't football the cash cow and the ticket for AD's to bigger and better jobs? You have no credibility when you assume AD's did not care or want to get better teams into DeKalb. There are many issues involved which you simplistically or naively ignore. The need for cash games at Soldier Field or away....the idea that of late NIU is too good for many teams to even consider coming to DeKalb....there are only a few dates a year to play with after the conferences lock in their dates....it is complicated so quit acting like it is a simple process that has been ignored.

Nicely put.
Wait for it..............Well Toledo brings good teams to the Glass Bowl. Why can't we?
07-02-2013 12:12 PM
Advertisement

HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
(07-02-2013 12:02 PM)cagy cager Wrote:  your constant rants on this are typical of a madman.........you actually think the AD's in the past did not try to schedule better, even big time schools for Huskie Stadium? You don't think they made hundreds of phone calls trying to upgrade the home schedule? do you actually believe the ignored or "neglected" this issue? Why would they do that? Isn't football the cash cow and the ticket for AD's to bigger and better jobs? You have no credibility when you assume AD's did not care or want to get better teams into DeKalb. There are many issues involved which you simplistically or naively ignore. The need for cash games at Soldier Field or away....the idea that of late NIU is too good for many teams to even consider coming to DeKalb....there are only a few dates a year to play with after the conferences lock in their dates....it is complicated so quit acting like it is a simple process that has been ignored.
Try, no not really. He asked us who we wanted to see between Memphis or New Mexico St.
07-02-2013 12:12 PM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

(07-02-2013 10:03 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  The criticism to the scheduling I don't think is really related to the strength of the opponents solely, because as Jon says you don't know how good a team will be when you schedule them. I don't care where we rank, going on the road into 2 big 10 venues for the non-conf is a strong enough schedule for me. The valid criticism is the fact home scheduling has been neglected for almost 10 years.

1) It takes two to tango.

2) As we all know, 24K is max attendance at HS.

3) And finally, those that come to HS typically leave with an "L", so there's that.
07-02-2013 12:19 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-02-2013 12:19 PM)thxjoenovak Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 10:03 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  The criticism to the scheduling I don't think is really related to the strength of the opponents solely, because as Jon says you don't know how good a team will be when you schedule them. I don't care where we rank, going on the road into 2 big 10 venues for the non-conf is a strong enough schedule for me. The valid criticism is the fact home scheduling has been neglected for almost 10 years.

3) And finally, those that come to HS typically leave with an "L", so there's that.
#3 is a poor excuse...Last Three FBS OOC wins at home for NIU...Kansas 2012, Army 2010 and Iowa St 2003
07-02-2013 12:37 PM
DiehardHuskie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Hard Way
Regarding Toledo, I believe their 1-for-1 with Miami includes Toledo receiving no payment for the game in Miami and a payout to Miami (don't know the amount) for their trip to the Glass Bowl. Or maybe visa-versa, but I'm pretty sure they are not paying Toledo a dime for one of the games.
07-02-2013 12:37 PM
chihuskie Offline
Heisman

So, if we get bad, then we will be able "to get" teams to come to Huskie Stadium? Or does what we pay matter at all? If we pay out well, might they come? And if they come, might we be able to pay out well?

Or is it just that it can;t be done? I know that's the answer, it can;t be done. And yet, where is teh response to how other MAC schools are doing it?
07-02-2013 12:55 PM
Advertisement

chihuskie Offline
Heisman

(07-02-2013 12:37 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 12:19 PM)thxjoenovak Wrote:  

#3 is a poor excuse...Last Three FBS OOC wins at home for NIU...Kansas 2012, Army 2010 and Iowa St 2003

03-hissyfit03-hissyfit03-hissyfit Stop using facts!
1) I sometimes tango by myself! 03-shhhh
2) For Maryland we had (unofficial, but i was there) over 30K and many other games at near 29k;
3) well, see above. Anyone who says all FBS teams are afraid of NIU are delusional. Anyone would pay us anywhere if the payout was right. That is the ONLY issue.
07-02-2013 01:00 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(07-02-2013 12:55 PM)chihuskie Wrote:  

So, if we get bad, then we will be able "to get" teams to come to Huskie Stadium? Or does what we pay matter at all? If we pay out well, might they come? And if they come, might we be able to pay out well?

Or is it just that it can;t be done? I know that's the answer, it can;t be done. And yet, where is teh response to how other MAC schools are doing it?

Yea that's the question I've never heard an answer to. Also, Compher basically said scheduling good teams at home wasn't a priority. So we really don't know what's possible. I'd be happy with a 2-1 or even 3-1, and if we had to accept a smaller payout for the away games we could maybe pull that off.
07-02-2013 01:39 PM
GCD70 Offline
1st String

I Root For: niu

since we play 4 non con games, 2 on the road and 2 at home, if one of those home games is against a bigger time opponent then that would make everyone happy, correct. Or are you looking for 2 home games with better foes.
07-02-2013 02:07 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer

Is your "constant rants" statement aimed strictly at MaddDawgz02 or any of us who have been questioning our scheduling?
Your statements include:
-- you don't hink they made 100s of calls
How do you know how many calls were made?
--you actually believe the(y) ignored or "neglected" this Compher said on record scheduling wins at home as opposed to name opponents wasn't a priority.
--isn't football the cash cow and the ticket for ADs to bigger/better jobs It can a play part, but some ADs get hired for their marketing, fund-raising, facility improvements, overall athletic program success.
--it's complicated so quit acting like it's simple ...no one has said it's simple, but quit acting like it's impossible when there are examples of other MAC schools having better non-conference foes. We need someone to get aggressive and innovative. Perhaps you offer someone a 3-for-1, or you get another MAC school to go in with you on a 4-for-2 to a major program: year one: you get two home games / year two, you get one home game and make one road trip / year three, you get one home game and make one road trip -- end of three-season 4-for-2 deal. TRY SOMETHING. Worse case, offer more money.

As chihuskie said, now we have to "get bad" in order to get teams to come to DeKalb?
As NIU007 asked, "where is the response to how other MAC schools are doing it?
As GCD70 put it, out of four non-con games, if one of the two home games was against a bigger time opponent, most people would be happier.

cagey cager, since you don't seem to think NIU "settles" when it comes to home opponents and claim anyone questioning the scheduling has no credibility, then start planning your excuses now for the upcoming announcement that the replacement for Idaho in 2014 is going to be none other than that vaunted FCS foe (drum roll) Presbyterian. Before that visit to DeKalb next fall, let's play "trivia pursuit PC edition" and see if you can honestly get the right answers (without using the internet). What conference is Presybterian in? Do you know their nickname? Any idea of the city and state the school's located in?
07-02-2013 06:10 PM
HappyHuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pigdog's Demise
It's not that Compher didn't try to get better teams at Huskie Stadium. He tried the best he could. He just didn't have the tactical skills necessary to do the job. Other MAC schools get name teams. Compher could not. He went the easy way out and got lesser teams that were happy to come here.
07-02-2013 06:16 PM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

We need to get one thing straight, home scheduling was NOT a priority to Jeff Compher, he simply did not care about it. That is not something that is even in question.

I do not ignore the fact that the Soldier Field games were of benefit to NIU in bringing in money. The only problem is, once you milk that cow over and over, either the milk runs out or the cow dies. That cow is dead or on the respirator. Same thing with the ESPN deal, its great for a short term fix, but for a long term stable success, you need a fanbase too. On the plus side, kudos to Compher for getting Coach Doeren, that is an accomplishment of his, and coming off an Orange Bowl will at least mask our long term declining fanbase problem for at least this year. Much of the motivation for the Soldier Field games besides a short term financial fix was career motivated too, it obviously was a path Phillips laid out to get to a new position, and Compher followed Phillips path precisely. Compher was very successful in carving out his own personal success, but to turn a blind eye and ignore the impacts neglecting home scheduling had on the fanbase and the fact our season ticket sales are at a near decade low is just ignorant. You are going to pay a price for short term fixes and we are paying that now with fan support. You can call it a rant or whatever you like, but there is no hiding from the fact that home scheduling is the single most important factor in generating long term support, attendance, and donations. When a team has success at home or even the fact you are drawing recognizable names at home, fans feel a stronger connection to the program and the wallets open up. For those people that say, Compher tried hard in this respect (which I know for a fact he did not), then the only other conclusion was that he was incompetent in his job. So you can either choose incompetence or neglect, both are bad. How come other MAC programs have been successful drawing programs into their stadiums, are we that far behind the MAC?

Yes I understand the fact it takes 2 to tango, but you have to show up to the dance to have any chance of tangoing, and we have not shown up or stressed this to the level it needs to be stressed. Any AD could have scheduled the Soldier Field games, heck we have financed the Iowa and Wisconsin athletic programs, what teams don't want a SF game? You don't pay an AD for a short term easy fix that even an untrained monkey could provide, you pay him/her to do the grunt work (which is hard I admit) of enhancing your own schedule. That's the only way you assure long term stability. Korcek may have been more right than we want to admit in that the next AD needs to have NIU's interest in mind, it might make a world a difference.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 07:17 PM by MaddDawgz02.)
07-02-2013 07:08 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(07-02-2013 02:07 PM)GCD70 Wrote:  

since we play 4 non con games, 2 on the road and 2 at home, if one of those home games is against a bigger time opponent then that would make everyone happy, correct. Or are you looking for 2 home games with better foes.

That would be fine with me. Heck, it wouldn't even have to be every year. But doing it once every 10 years (or less) is ridiculous.
07-02-2013 08:41 PM
huskiealum03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU & Go Go Sox
ultimately what matters, just like in any job, is execution, not simply 'trying'. our former AD did a piss-poor job of executing a solid home schedule. period.
07-02-2013 09:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(07-02-2013 09:28 PM)huskiealum03 Wrote:  ultimately what matters, just like in any job, is execution, not simply 'trying'. our former AD did a piss-poor job of executing a solid home schedule. period.

I don't think he did a bad job of execution because he didn't even try. His vision was not state of NIU 10 years from now, it was state of Compher 10 years from now. It would be hypocritical of me to say I would not be looking out for my own interests too, but at the same time, to ignore this fact is also not fair.
07-02-2013 09:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.