Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

All-Time Top Big East Coaches
Bookmark and Share
billyjack Offline
1st String

I Root For: Providence
All-Time Top Big East Coaches
So, the alltime players lists are cool. Then I started thinking of how our conference coaches have had such a big impact throughout the years. And off the top of my head, I listed my top all-time Big East coaches in four tiers.

1) Legends in order of how they helped build the conference.
2) Excellent coaches who either had early significance or who maintained our great Big East reputation.
3) Legends outside of Big East success. (3a. Odd Ducks).
4) Legends just arrived and legends of the future.

My lists follow below...
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2013 04:35 PM by billyjack.)
06-27-2013 03:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

billyjack Offline
1st String

RE: All-Time Top Big East Coaches
1) Legends who built the conference or who maintained great reputation of Big East at key points:

1. John Thompson, Jr.. Our first national title. Plus 2 more title game appearances. Plus atleast 3 additional Elite-8's. So 6 Elite-8's in our first 10 years. Plus built a great attitude and toughness that made GU and the Big East must see TV.

2. Lou Carnesecca. Excellent program in most important BE city. Great personality and great ambassador for the conference.

3. Rollie Massimino. His 85 title (which wasn't a surprise to Big East fans) overshadowed the fact that Villanova had brass ones throughout the 80's with a string of Elite-8's and huge wins through his amazing coaching ability. Plus awesome personality. We would usually try to get Villanova tickets vs PC just to watch his antics and marvel at his strategy.

4. Jim Boeheim. Can't believe he's still there. Great team personality, from Marty Headd teaming with Cone in the backcourt, to the Louie-Bouie Show, to Pearl, etc. Huge breakthrough in 87 after so many great years. Now an all time great. Will miss the Orangemen.

5. Jim Calhoun. Tough working class New Englander with gritty no nonsense personality. Picked up the Big East standard when GU and others had lean years. Always fun watching Huskies in Calhoun years, if only to see him flip out on the bench. :)
6. Rick Pitino. Hired by Lou Lamoriello in 86 and in 2 years had the Friars crushing opponents in Final Four run. Returned to rebuild Louisville into perennial title contender. In building PC, he helped build our conference's reputation as being stacked top to bottom.
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2013 04:39 PM by billyjack.)
06-27-2013 03:58 PM
billyjack Offline
1st String

2) Excellent coaches who maintained our reputation by either accomplishment or presence.

1. PJ Carlesimo. Seton Hall in 89 was one of the deepest most talented teams ever in BE. Annihilated UNLV and Duke to make title game before OT loss. The Hall maintained Top 10 status thru mid 90's when PJ left.

2. Dr Tom Davis and Gary Williams at BC. Davis led BC to Elite-8 in 82 before moving to Iowa. Williams had a couple of good years at BC with nice ornery personality before moving Maryland and winning a title there.

3. Rick Barnes. Made 3 NCAAs with PC and won BET before moving on to great years at Clemson and Texas.

4. JT-iii. Put the Hoyas back into a regular Top 20 position and made Final Four.

5. Jay Wright. Re-built Villanova back into an excellent program and looks impeccable.

6. Bob Huggins. Final Four at WVa, and good for the league while he was here.

7. Buzz Williams. Has Marquette at top of conference. Perennial power.

8. Steve Lavin. Great years at UCLA and building St John's into exciting young team. Good name and reputation to have coaching our New York team.

9. Jamie Dixon. Fun to watch him to see how far on the court he will walk.

10. Al Skinner. Had solid years at BC.

11. Pete Gillen. Took Friars to Elite-8 with lopsided wins over Marquette and Duke. Great years at Xavier prior to that.
06-27-2013 04:16 PM
billyjack Offline
1st String

3) Legends who made mark outside of Big East.

1. Joe Mullaney. Holy Cross alum who took over Friars in mid 50's to make them a perennial power. Left PC to coach LA Lakers (lost Game 7 on Don Nelson's oddball shot). Returned to Rhode Island and coached at Brown until Providence job opened up. Great gentleman and a Rhode Island legend.

2. Bill Raftery. Coached Seton Hall first 2 years of conference. Soon found himself announcing Big East games. My least favorite call was Jerome Lane's dunk vs Friars in 88.

(Subset category: Odd Ducks:
1. Paul Evans. Got Pitt gig after Navy upset Syracuse in 86. Ornery personality who clashed with Panther players. 88 should've been Pitt's year, but they blew game to Vanderbilt.

2. Bobby Gonzalez. I forgot the specifics, but was emotionally disturbed on sideline.

3. Mike Rice and the other 2 Rutgers guys. One guy made players practice in the nude, another got drunk twice at Rutgers baseball games and berated opposing team, and the third acted like a lunatic to his players.)
06-27-2013 04:28 PM
billyjack Offline
1st String

4) Newly Arrived Stars and Future Legends.

1. Brad Stevens. I will see Butler this year mainly to see Stevens. All class. Already a legend. Great for the league. The Big East is lucky to have him.

2. Ed Cooley. Captivating personality, Rhode Island local, adored by fans, and rebuilding Providence into a powerhouse.

3. Chris Mack. Current in line of excellent Musketeer coaches.

4. McDermott of Creighton. Looking forward to watching the Bluejays visit the dunk.
06-27-2013 04:33 PM
Advertisement

ivet Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePaul, Hoya
1. John Thompson II (Georgetown)
2. Al McGuire (Marquette)
3. Brad Stevens (Butler)
4. Ray Meyer (DePaul)
5. Rollie Massimino ('Nova)
6. Lou Carnesecca (St. John's)
7. Dave Gavitt (Providence)
8. P. J. Carlesimo (Seton Hall)

It's unfortunate that Xavier basically had great coaches (Matta, Miller) leave but hopefully now they are in the BE the school wont be used as a stepping stone to bigger programs. I put Brad up there because of what he has done at a young age and a short amount of time. I don't know Creighton too much to make a comment
06-27-2013 06:03 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(06-27-2013 06:03 PM)ivet Wrote:  1. John Thompson II (Georgetown)
3. Brad Stevens (Butler)
4. Ray Meyer (DePaul)

It's unfortunate that Xavier basically had great coaches (Matta, Miller) leave but hopefully now they are in the BE the school wont be used as a stepping stone to bigger programs. I put Brad up there because of what he has done at a young age and a short amount of time. I don't know Creighton too much to make a comment

Uh MacGuire and Meyer never coached in the Big East. If we are going past the BE then Joe Lapchick deserves to be on that list. If you don't know who that is, it's the guy who taught MacGuire and Carrnesecca at St. John's.
06-27-2013 10:21 PM
ivet Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePaul, Hoya
(06-27-2013 10:21 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(06-27-2013 06:03 PM)ivet Wrote:  1. John Thompson II (Georgetown)
3. Brad Stevens (Butler)
4. Ray Meyer (DePaul)

Uh MacGuire and Meyer never coached in the Big East. If we are going past the BE then Joe Lapchick deserves to be on that list. If you don't know who that is, it's the guy who taught MacGuire and Carrnesecca at St. John's.

I thought this was for all the schools that are in or going to be in the BE. If that's the case it really doesn't matter because it'll just be the 5 catholic schools.
06-28-2013 08:39 AM
Title Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Butler
Brad Stevens is the winningest coach in the history of college basketball over the first 6 years of of a career, 12 of those wins coming in the NCAA Tournament.
06-28-2013 01:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.