Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

All for Rice's Honor: Owls vs Aggies 1994
Pan95 Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice/WY
All for Rice's Honor: Owls vs Aggies 1994
August 31st is coming soon. In honor of that, here are the highlights of the 7-0 loss to A&M at College Station in 1994. Outcome be damned, that was one of the finest displays of Rice defense ever. Special thanks to Equinometrics for recording and uploading the game highlights to youtube. Enjoy!

1st Half

06-24-2013 11:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pan95 Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice/WY
RE: All for Rice's Honor: Owls vs Aggies 1994
2nd Half

06-24-2013 11:01 PM
Wiessman Away
All American

I Root For: Rice
1973 (a legendary game for more than one reason):

Someone posted this on here a few years back. It's one of my favorites, as it recalls an era in which Rice could still ambush the big boys every so often.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2013 11:20 PM by Wiessman.)
06-24-2013 11:19 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Just an amazing game in a desert like setting at Kyle Field (before the Aggies learned to grow real grass). Has to be one of the finest defensive games ever by an Owl team. Halftime in the locker room looked like a battlefield triage area with all the IV's going.
06-24-2013 11:19 PM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
(06-24-2013 11:19 PM)Wiessman Wrote:  1973 (a legendary game for more than one reason):

Someone posted this on here a few years back. It's one of my favorites, as it recalls an era in which Rice could still ambush the big boys every so often.

I didn't realize that it will be 40 years this year since that game. Quite something to hang your hat on coming into this year's game.

I think the MOB, if it's not going to recognize that show from 40 years ago, should at least use that groovy background music from that video as part of the show. That background music was actually probably more relevant for a few years before it, but it helped make that video IMO.
06-25-2013 07:07 AM
Advertisement

HawaiiOwl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Owls
(06-25-2013 07:07 AM)gsloth Wrote:  
(06-24-2013 11:19 PM)Wiessman Wrote:  1973 (a legendary game for more than one reason):

I didn't realize that it will be 40 years this year since that game. Quite something to hang your hat on coming into this year's game.

I think the MOB, if it's not going to recognize that show from 40 years ago, should at least use that groovy background music from that video as part of the show. That background music was actually probably more relevant for a few years before it, but it helped make that video IMO.
That was such an awesome game. I hope we can start showing up for big games like that soon!
06-25-2013 07:40 PM
son of SID Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: owls
I was there ! 95 yards to beat the Ags Remember the Food service trucks transporting the MOB back to the campus because of that halftime show ! Where is that doggie in the window?
06-25-2013 10:10 PM
3-OwlsInTheNest Offline
Special Teams

(06-25-2013 10:10 PM)son of SID Wrote:  I was there ! 95 yards to beat the Ags Remember the Food service trucks transporting the MOB back to the campus because of that halftime show ! Where is that doggie in the window?

The 1973 Rice-A&M game ranks as one of the best. When the Aggies scored that go-ahead TD in the 4th quarter I admit I thought we were going to let an upset slip away --again. I was sitting in the east stands, north end, edge of the upper level, maybe around the 25 yard line, so I had a great view of the Swertz' (sp?) kick-off return. Per the youtube video, Swertz fielded the kick at the Rice 5 and took off. Then he disappeared in the scrum. I know we're talking fractions of a second but it seemed like he was lost in the mass of Aggie uniforms for an eternity. Then suddenly he bursts out -- it looked like a high-speed squeeze. And it's open field to the end zone. That return electrified Rice fans. The Ags could not believe it.

I was supposed to link up with a friend of mine who was in the MOB. But disenchanted Aggies delayed the link up.
06-26-2013 07:37 AM
son of SID Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: owls
The returner was Carl Swierc from 1A Falls city
06-26-2013 09:03 AM
Advertisement

3-OwlsInTheNest Offline
Special Teams

(06-26-2013 09:03 AM)son of SID Wrote:  The returner was Carl Swierc from 1A Falls city

Thanks for the correct spelling. I think Swierc ran the high-hurdles in track in high school. And I went and looked. He was state high hurdles champ in 1970.
06-26-2013 10:11 AM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH
How much time was left after the Rice touchdown?
06-26-2013 10:54 AM
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(06-26-2013 10:54 AM)Afflicted Wrote:  How much time was left after the Rice touchdown?

I also wondered due to the dogpile in the tunnel. Seems like time ran out during the runback.
06-26-2013 10:58 AM
HawaiiOwl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Owls
(06-26-2013 10:58 AM)Da.Owl Wrote:  
(06-26-2013 10:54 AM)Afflicted Wrote:  How much time was left after the Rice touchdown?

I also wondered due to the dogpile in the tunnel. Seems like time ran out during the runback.

Actually, there was a little over 2 minutes left, and IIRC, the aggies made a credible drive , but couldn't pull off another rally
06-26-2013 12:33 PM
Advertisement

Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-26-2013 12:33 PM)HawaiiOwl Wrote:  

Actually, there was a little over 2 minutes left, and IIRC, the aggies made a credible drive , but couldn't pull off another rally

IIRC, the Aggies were stopped inside the Owl 10 on a 4th and goal with little or no time on the clock.

I agree with earlier comment on Swierc disappearing into a scrum and then emerging from the other side in what seemed like an eternity later.
06-26-2013 01:06 PM
3-OwlsInTheNest Offline
Special Teams

(06-26-2013 01:06 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  

IIRC, the Aggies were stopped inside the Owl 10 on a 4th and goal with little or no time on the clock.

I agree with earlier comment on Swierc disappearing into a scrum and then emerging from the other side in what seemed like an eternity later.

Strange effect, wasn't it? Here's how I remember that sequence: he runs into a slot in this swarm of players. The slot closes and the swarm coalesces --a scrum, with mostly Aggie uniforms around Swierc. I lose track of him.. Time passes-- enough time for the coagulate mass of helmets and numbered jerseys to pulse. Then Swierc pops out and I gasped and I swear everyone sitting around me gasped. I was sitting with a couple of Rice people but there were a lot of Aggie fans as well. I have never seen a kick off return for TD quite like it.
06-26-2013 01:48 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

Question RE: All for Rice's Honor: Owls vs Aggies 1994
(06-26-2013 01:48 PM)3-OwlsInTheNest Wrote:  

Strange effect, wasn't it? Here's how I remember that sequence: he runs into a slot in this swarm of players. The slot closes and the swarm coalesces --a scrum, with mostly Aggie uniforms around Swierc. I lose track of him.. Time passes-- enough time for the coagulate mass of helmets and numbered jerseys to pulse. Then Swierc pops out and I gasped and I swear everyone sitting around me gasped. I was sitting with a couple of Rice people but there were a lot of Aggie fans as well. I have never seen a kick off return for TD quite like it.

Agree! Your description is exactly how I remember it.

It was my freshman year (yeah, I matriculated when I was 10...) sitting in the Rice student section. My date was a high school friend who was in her freshman year at A&M. We never went out again.
06-26-2013 02:44 PM
3-OwlsInTheNest Offline
Special Teams

(06-26-2013 02:44 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  
(06-26-2013 01:48 PM)3-OwlsInTheNest Wrote:  
(06-26-2013 10:58 AM)Da.Owl Wrote:  I also wondered due to the dogpile in the tunnel. Seems like time ran out during the runback.

Agree! Your description is exactly how I remember it.

It was my freshman year (yeah, I matriculated when I was 10...) sitting in the Rice student section. My date was a high school friend who was in her freshman year at A&M. We never went out again.

Too funny. The MOB ended your romance.

The MOB half-time script is up on the web:
http://mob.rice.edu/history/scripts/197311170

1973 was a great Rice victory and a great Southwest Conference game. I wonder if there is a tape somewhere of the radio broadcast.

For the record, I'm one of those oft scorned dreamers/optimists/surrealists/fantasists/long-shot-bettor-fools who believe Rice will beat the Ags in August 2013.
06-26-2013 05:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.