Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

more reports on UNC academic scandal
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Reports are now surfacing that UNC athletic academic advisors pushed the fake courses at North Carolina.

http://chronicle.com/blogs/players/acade...ersy/33189

There was an article last week that UNC had paid PR consultants half a million to handle their approach to the scandal.
06-11-2013 11:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
RE: more reports on UNC academic scandal
(06-11-2013 11:37 AM)bullet Wrote:  Reports are now surfacing that UNC athletic academic advisors pushed the fake courses at North Carolina.

http://chronicle.com/blogs/players/acade...ersy/33189

There was an article last week that UNC had paid PR consultants half a million to handle their approach to the scandal.
It just keeps going and going. When these things are uncovered they always seem to get worse the deeper you dig.
06-11-2013 11:44 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
WTH? Did UNC let Jim Harrick and his son create their "classes" for athletes? 03-lmfao
06-11-2013 12:42 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(06-11-2013 12:42 PM)Wedge Wrote:  WTH? Did UNC let Jim Harrick and his son create their "classes" for athletes? 03-lmfao
The SEC boosters may buy the athletes a car once in a while but we do make them go to class...
06-11-2013 12:52 PM
UCbball21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
(06-11-2013 12:52 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 12:42 PM)Wedge Wrote:  WTH? Did UNC let Jim Harrick and his son create their "classes" for athletes? 03-lmfao
The SEC boosters may buy the athletes a car once in a while but we do make them go to class...

As a former Alabama student, get real...
06-11-2013 01:51 PM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC

Then how do most of them do so bad on that NFL test? (LSU, Ark, Bama)
06-11-2013 02:40 PM
Advertisement

HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
Maybe the jokes should really be about the ACC. You have UNC & Miami...GT was on probation recently....Syracuse has a sex scandal...L-ville has this Asst AD that is being raked over the coals at Rutgers. FSU previously had an academic scandal.

But all the jokes are on the SEC....wonder why?
06-11-2013 03:07 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(06-11-2013 01:51 PM)UCbball21 Wrote:  

As a former Alabama student, get real...
Former student? Did you go to class? Were you an athlete? Look dude...it was a joke. Lighten up.04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2013 09:17 PM by USAFMEDIC.)
06-11-2013 05:51 PM
DeacKillsaDevil Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: WFU, UGA, UCF
Was you? Sweet grammar
06-11-2013 06:24 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(06-11-2013 06:24 PM)DeacKillsaDevil Wrote:  Was you? Sweet grammar
Oh my... my two year old grand kid must have went singular instead of plural on me. He has been typing on my PC since he WAS about a year old. We are going to make sure he gets into an SEC school someday. Only the very best stay down here.04-cheers

( I think the "WAS" is punctually correct here)
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2013 09:23 PM by USAFMEDIC.)
06-11-2013 09:22 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(06-11-2013 03:07 PM)HP-TBDPITL Wrote:  Maybe the jokes should really be about the ACC. You have UNC & Miami...GT was on probation recently....Syracuse has a sex scandal...L-ville has this Asst AD that is being raked over the coals at Rutgers. FSU previously had an academic scandal.

Because the SEC is better at covering their stuff up.05-stirthepot03-shhhh
06-11-2013 11:08 PM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(06-11-2013 11:08 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 03:07 PM)HP-TBDPITL Wrote:  Maybe the jokes should really be about the ACC. You have UNC & Miami...GT was on probation recently....Syracuse has a sex scandal...L-ville has this Asst AD that is being raked over the coals at Rutgers. FSU previously had an academic scandal.

Because the SEC is better at covering their stuff up.05-stirthepot03-shhhh

ACC is basically becoming SEClight with regards to everything except on field performance.
06-12-2013 10:49 AM
Tiger8589 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tigers
This simply cannot be true. We've been led to beleive all AAU member schools student athletes have FAR SUPERIOR intelect and brain power than those that don't belong. So when you see kids covered head to toe in tats and walking aound with all the swag...even tho the academic standards of losts of AAU schools from the power conferences are relaxed for FB/BB players always remember these athletes are still without question 100% take it to the bank the cream of the crop when it comes to academics. If you ain't an AAU student athlete you aint S###!!!!!!! Just ask Gordon Gee and some of his brethren....LOL
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 11:19 AM by Tiger8589.)
06-12-2013 11:18 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
Cut the conference ya ya garbage. The issue here is whether Emmert will have the intestinal fortitude to take on one of the conference bell cows. It could have been Alabama, Texas, USC, or Ohio State all of which have committed far worse infractions than those for which they have ever been punished.

An English teacher was dismissed at Alabama two decades ago for protesting similar problems with academics for athletes. A similar situation happened at Georgia. Texas has faced its share of academic arrangements allegations some of which had teeth but "nothing was done" by the NCAA. USC gets hit with furnishing R Bush's parents with amenities but on campus issues were overlooked. Ohio State gets nailed for tattoos but no follow up happened with the allegations of providing coeds and other women for sex. Miami's case has been botched in so many ways so as too lose the most sordid of the allegations in the details. So, do you really think U.N.C. will get hit with a very dangerous and damning academic fraud case? I don't.

The culture of corruption surrounding college athletics has, is, and will be ignored by our dualistic cultural standards. If you are super rich and a thief you are too big to fail. If you are a stud athlete allowances must be made, criminal activity managed or overlooked, and illegal and unethical perks provided. If you are not wealthy or a prodigious athlete then you are just a criminal for engaging in the same behaviors.

I've seen the recruiters in action and it isn't pretty. It's been going on for at least the 40 years I've observed it, and I know probably longer, but the depth and depravity of it has grown disturbingly worse in the last 15 years. But, the same may be said for our institutions of business and government. In fact I dare say the athletic situation is merely a symptom of the greater illness.

North Carolina will skate through with minor penalties and promises made to clean up internally. Why? Because if one conference leading school gets whacked for academic fraud then beans will be spilled, past beneficiaries of bogus diplomas will come forth with stories about how they couldn't succeed without the education they were promised, and wealthy boosters, corporate sponsors, and academic leaders will all have to admit to their involvement in a sheer hypocrisy that is grand enough in scope to shatter even their well crafted public images and that sure as Hades is not going to happen.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 11:37 AM by JRsec.)
06-12-2013 11:32 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

Well Forest Gump was an Alabama running back and became a big time movie star....04-rock
06-12-2013 11:32 AM
HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
APR numbers are out and UNC has fallen to the bottom of the ACC in football.

Their numbers peaked in 2009 and have gradually fallen since...no wonder since its hard now to changing grades and create paper classes to inflate the APR.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 01:42 PM by HP-TBDPITL.)
06-12-2013 01:41 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(06-12-2013 11:32 AM)JRsec Wrote:  Cut the conference ya ya garbage. The issue here is whether Emmert will have the intestinal fortitude to take on one of the conference bell cows. It could have been Alabama, Texas, USC, or Ohio State all of which have committed far worse infractions than those for which they have ever been punished.

An English teacher was dismissed at Alabama two decades ago for protesting similar problems with academics for athletes. A similar situation happened at Georgia. Texas has faced its share of academic arrangements allegations some of which had teeth but "nothing was done" by the NCAA. USC gets hit with furnishing R Bush's parents with amenities but on campus issues were overlooked. Ohio State gets nailed for tattoos but no follow up happened with the allegations of providing coeds and other women for sex. Miami's case has been botched in so many ways so as too lose the most sordid of the allegations in the details. So, do you really think U.N.C. will get hit with a very dangerous and damning academic fraud case? I don't.

The culture of corruption surrounding college athletics has, is, and will be ignored by our dualistic cultural standards. If you are super rich and a thief you are too big to fail. If you are a stud athlete allowances must be made, criminal activity managed or overlooked, and illegal and unethical perks provided. If you are not wealthy or a prodigious athlete then you are just a criminal for engaging in the same behaviors.

I've seen the recruiters in action and it isn't pretty. It's been going on for at least the 40 years I've observed it, and I know probably longer, but the depth and depravity of it has grown disturbingly worse in the last 15 years. But, the same may be said for our institutions of business and government. In fact I dare say the athletic situation is merely a symptom of the greater illness.

North Carolina will skate through with minor penalties and promises made to clean up internally. Why? Because if one conference leading school gets whacked for academic fraud then beans will be spilled, past beneficiaries of bogus diplomas will come forth with stories about how they couldn't succeed without the education they were promised, and wealthy boosters, corporate sponsors, and academic leaders will all have to admit to their involvement in a sheer hypocrisy that is grand enough in scope to shatter even their well crafted public images and that sure as Hades is not going to happen.

Georgia lost big in the Jan Kemp lawsuit.

I don't recall any Texas allegations of academic "arrangements." So I will call you on that unless you can provide specifics (doesn't mean you can't, but I would think I would remember it).
06-12-2013 02:17 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(06-12-2013 02:17 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 11:32 AM)JRsec Wrote:  Cut the conference ya ya garbage. The issue here is whether Emmert will have the intestinal fortitude to take on one of the conference bell cows. It could have been Alabama, Texas, USC, or Ohio State all of which have committed far worse infractions than those for which they have ever been punished.

Georgia lost big in the Jan Kemp lawsuit.

I don't recall any Texas allegations of academic "arrangements." So I will call you on that unless you can provide specifics (doesn't mean you can't, but I would think I would remember it).

I'm relying on memory Bullet, so I could be mistaken. The things I had first hand knowledge and dealings with will only remain generalized in my comments. But I was reading a good deal on ShaggyBevo last year when the stuff about the fired women's coach (I think it was the track coach) came out along with some other stuff pertaining to the sexcapades of one of the assistant football coaches and I think one of the assistant AD's broke. There was also an email that Mack apparently sent out to everyone by mistake. Included in that mix was some discussion about the North Carolina allegations and comments about similar alleged practices at UT that the former coach might have knowledge of.

The stuff on OSU was in an ESPN special edition that included Auburn, Ohio State, and a couple of other schools and their former recruits and players.

If I'm wrong about the Texas issues due apologies. I wasn't trying to be anything but illustrative of the point that the NCAA doesn't want to find anything too substantial or controversial out about its top schools in each conference. I followed recruiting closely from a first hand basis throughout the 80's and into the early 90's as I traveled throughout the Southeast. I still follow it but now my information is second hand. During that time grade fixing, ringers to take ACT & SAT tests, tutors who actually helped during exams which were mostly take home essays, even some grade fixing all were fairly common according to the athletes (the schools and coaches would never admit it). Also, none of that deals with grades fixed at the High School level to get them eligible. The conferences recruiting the area at that time that were involved were the SWC, SEC, and ACC. The schools involved were high percentages from each conference. The reason I wrote what I did is because the problem was, is, and probably will continue to be, pervasive. During the time period that I had first hand knowledge I always turned the violations over to the University President's office for the schools involved. 90% of the time the result was that they dropped the kid in question from their recruitment. Then that was the end of story as far as I was concerned. Only 2 schools persisted and were turned over to the NCAA.

The average fan and alumni has no idea of what goes on behind the scenes in recruitment. Inducements (monetary, sexual, possessions, ego games, etc.,) have all ramped up since my time on the road. Back in the 80's there were monetary inducements, very, very few sexual inducements other than a pretty young woman to have your picture taken with and to escort you around campus, there were cars and stereos, and no video's of game winning scores and Heisman trophies and all of that ridiculous stuff. It has gotten way out of hand.

Considering the money made at the top schools for football it is not inconceivable that vulnerable faculty could be recruited to help athletes remain eligible. That pressure exists at every school where football is a top revenue producer. That is true for your school, my school, and many many more. It is simply the reality of the situation. Unfortunately, things will likely have to degrade further before a correction is forthcoming.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 04:27 PM by JRsec.)
06-12-2013 04:14 PM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

Now you know our former Asst. AD issues happened while @ Tennessee...05-stirthepot...just say'n...05-nono
06-12-2013 06:34 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
They don't call it the Fulmer Cup for nothing, dude...
06-12-2013 08:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.