Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB- Fundraising for new stadium
Bookmark and Share
MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
UAB- Fundraising for new stadium
I remember reading a fundraising campaign for an on-campus stadium was starting in October. Anything new on that been reported?
06-11-2013 07:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BleedsGreen33 Offline
1st String

RE: UAB- Fundraising for new stadium
Last I heard Paul Bryant Jr put an end to the dream of a new, on campus stadium of them.
06-11-2013 07:50 AM
Bleeds_Purple Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina!
Sad
06-11-2013 07:54 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

I'd love to see a strong UAB in the new C-USA.

(side question--I'm not familiar with Alabama but I'm under the impression it's mostly all Alabama or Auburn down there, but if UAB were having a good season and playing an entertaining brand of football would Alabama or Auburn fans come watch a game if it didn't conflict with their own games or no?)
06-11-2013 08:14 AM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
(06-11-2013 07:54 AM)Bleeds_Purple Wrote:  Sad

It's pathetic, "BP", & so are they (ua board of trustees). They want to monopolize the sports climate in this state and unfortunately, have the blessings of the local sports media and state government to do so, especially to the detriment of Birmingham.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2013 08:28 AM by Matrix.)
06-11-2013 08:20 AM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
Charlotte's Board Of Regents actually encouraged fans and students to raise some funding for their new stadium, working in conjunction with some organized groups to do so, and if they met a certain goal, the board would play its' part. The rest is history. That's what mutual cooperation can do, too bad this example of genuine support will not take place where UAB and this bastion of tyranny is concerned, their objective is most obvious, keep UAB football and the city of Birmingham as systematically stagnated and minimized as they can. And they do so with supreme arrogance and glee.
06-11-2013 08:27 AM
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
UAB will have an on-campus stadium. A few high profile funerals will have to take place first, though.
06-11-2013 08:35 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(06-11-2013 08:27 AM)Matrix Wrote:  Charlotte's Board Of Regents actually encouraged fans and students to raise some funding for their new stadium, working in conjunction with some organized groups to do so, and if they met a certain goal, the board would play its' part. The rest is history. That's what mutual cooperation can do, too bad this example of genuine support will not take place where UAB and this bastion of tyranny is concerned, their objective is most obvious, keep UAB football and the city of Birmingham as systematically stagnated and minimized as they can. And they do so with supreme arrogance and glee.

We have our own independent board though that is not associated with any other school in the state. UAB does not.
06-11-2013 08:37 AM
monarchman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
UAB getting a new stadium would be a major plus for CUSA.
06-11-2013 08:38 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(06-11-2013 08:35 AM)Smaug Wrote:  UAB will have an on-campus stadium. A few high profile funerals will have to take place first, though.

How old are those that are preventing this from happening? How long realistically will they remain in a position to stop it?
06-11-2013 09:03 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

(06-11-2013 09:03 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 08:35 AM)Smaug Wrote:  UAB will have an on-campus stadium. A few high profile funerals will have to take place first, though.

How old are those that are preventing this from happening? How long realistically will they remain in a position to stop it?

That's a complicated question.

The UA Board of Trustees are limited by terms and age, unless of course they don't want to be.

See, they set their rules. They nominate replacement members, and are accountable only to God.

[Image: paul-bear-bryant11.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2013 09:13 AM by Smaug.)
06-11-2013 09:08 AM
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
I don't get why they care. Let's be realistic, UAB isn't going to take anything away from UA if the program grows. If it does, it will be PENNIES.

I don't mean that as an insult to UAB at all. It's just that UA is arguably the best program in the country. I think UAB can be successful, but it will never eclipse UA, so I don't understand why the BoT in Alabama care so much about UAB. Success for UAB will not negatively impact UA in the slightest.
06-11-2013 09:18 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
(06-11-2013 09:03 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

Paul W. Bryant Jr. was born in 1944 and so is 68 or 69 (I pick him every year in the Blazertalk Death Pool).

He is reputed to share his father's fondnesses for alcohol, fatty foods and certain unwise practices. However, he obviously employs an internet-scrubbing service (google him; my dog quite literally has a bigger digital footprint) so hard facts are hard to come by.

The stadium issue had deeper impact than may be at first evident, as fund-raising for the project took energy from other programs. The campaign turned out quite successfully; corporate sponsorship was very high and this no doubt helped spark opposition to the stadium: rather than be impressed by our AD's thick portfolio of corporate commitments, the Old Boys (Bryant Jr., Finis St. John IV, Joseph Espy III, Jim Wilson III - are you seeing a pattern here?) saw $27 million diverted from its rightful place in Tide Pride sponsorships. All those donors were receiving a full-court press from Tuscaloosa's fundraisers within 48 hours of our AD's presentation to the Board.

There's also Greenetrack, a slimy dog track south of here. Bryant was a founder; Espy is its corporate lawyer, the others are beholden to the managing partner Milton McGregor. They do not want "your welfare blacks" (Bryant's words) finding alternative entertainment.

And if you're keeping score, yes, that means that a gambling operation has firm control of college football's most profitable program (the cesspool 54 miles to the SW of us).

Bryant also has full ownership over the governor (his father's dermatologist; Junior funded his campaign) and attorney general (funded as well).

The Old Boys torture UAB for fun; the real game is keeping control of the huge tracts of land held by the University of Alabama System (grants dating to the 19th Century) on which coal is mined by their cronies.
06-11-2013 09:24 AM
BleedsGreen33 Offline
1st String

Don't know if this is true or not but I had heard that Jimbo Fisher was going to accept the job at UAB but PBjr put an end to that as well. Also I heard one of his dumb reasons for UAB not getting the stadium is someone needed to continue to use Legion Field and keep it up. I thought we had it bad with our state legislature being controlled by the mountainqueers but the crap UAB has to put up with is beyond comprehension. This is not smack but I am shocked that PBjr hasn't tried to move UAB down to FCS or lower or even kill the program all together. Although some could argue he has effectively done that with is rulings.

Sad is all it is. Both UAB and Tulane need better more suitable stadiums.
06-11-2013 09:33 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

They don't want the backlash that would come with shutting us down. It's easier to starve the baby and speak mournfully about what a shame it was that the baby died.

And yes, the BoT torpedoed the Jimbo Fisher hire (UAB folks were on a plane to Baton Rouge) and we were stuck with one of Cubby Bryant's old drinkin' buddies, Neil Callaway.
06-11-2013 09:36 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

BlazerTalk Award
(06-11-2013 09:36 AM)Smaug Wrote:  And yes, the BoT torpedoed the Jimbo Fisher hire (UAB folks were on a plane to Baton Rouge) and we were stuck with one of Cubby Bryant's old drinkin' buddies, Neil Callaway.

Had Southern Miss not out-bid us, we would have followed him with Ellis "I have no" Johnson. Seriously. Junior wanted Ellis for the job until USM offered a cool million. Thanks, USM!!
06-11-2013 09:42 AM
Advertisement

UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
So far as the Board of Trustees is concerned, every t-shirt or sweatshirt sold, every ticket purchased, every corporate donation or luxury box, anything that goes to UAB football, is money that rightfully belongs in the coffers of the almighty Tahd.

No, we're not going to take a player away that Nick Satan wants. We don't compete directly. It does not matter. Drown the baby before it grows.

If it had ever occurred to the board that UAB would start a Division 1 football team Gene Bartow would never have been allowed to start a basketball program.
06-11-2013 05:13 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

BlazerTalk Award
Quote:If it had ever occurred to the board that UAB would start a Division 1 football team Gene Bartow would never have been allowed to start a basketball program.

Gene arrived while the Board was distracted by the federal prosecutions of Trustees Joe Fine and Gary Neal Drummond et al (racketeering involving sale of coal from university-system-owned land). Their conviction did not remove them from the Board (this is Alabama).

Had the Trustees not been scurrying to lay in supplies of soap-on-a-rope, there would be no UAB athletics. God Bless AG Griffin Bell and the U.S. Department of Justice.
06-11-2013 05:40 PM
mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU
couldn't a group of UAB boosters establish a NPO to build the stadium with the support of Birmingham, and then turn it over to UAB?
06-11-2013 05:52 PM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
(06-11-2013 09:18 AM)Niner National Wrote:  I don't get why they care. Let's be realistic, UAB isn't going to take anything away from UA if the program grows. If it does, it will be PENNIES.

you fail to understand they want it all. they view any money donated to uab athletics as money that should have been donated to them. is someone buys a uab tshirt that should have been a bama shirt. the fifty dollar uab tag should have been a ua tag. they are that petty
06-11-2013 06:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.