Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Ten Football Stadium upgrades
Bookmark and Share
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
Big Ten Football Stadium upgrades
OK, I'll go first, the Buckeyes are adding seats above the two team entrance tunnels to push capacity at the Horseshoe to 3rd in college football, behind The Big House and Happy Valley. Also going to permanent night lights.

[Image: MAweJIH.png]

First Look: Artist Rendering of the 2,522 New Seats and Permanent Lights Going into Ohio Stadium for 2014
06-06-2013 11:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stratecashomie Offline
Feelin' Blue

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Big Ten Football Stadium upgrades
I've never understood how The Horseshoe is one of the largest and loudest stadiums in the country when it's not a complete bowl. Props to you guys for making it a great place.
06-07-2013 03:37 AM
PIRATE TERP Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ECU / MARYLAND
TERPS will have to step it up on this front as well ... just at 54000 now ... half of the Buckeyes, Michigan, and others ... hoping some wins will translate into bigger at Maryland too!
06-07-2013 11:04 AM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
(06-07-2013 11:04 AM)PIRATE TERP Wrote:  TERPS will have to step it up on this front as well ... just at 54000 now ... half of the Buckeyes, Michigan, and others ... hoping some wins will translate into bigger at Maryland too!

Not anytime soon. We're still trying to pay off the last expansion.
06-07-2013 12:05 PM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-07-2013 03:37 AM)stratecashomie Wrote:  I've never understood how The Horseshoe is one of the largest and loudest stadiums in the country when it's not a complete bowl. Props to you guys for making it a great place.

Loudest was a long time ago: close the end of the horseshoe to surround the field with fanatical fans, have nothing else to do in a fairly small cow town with absolutely nothing even close to being as big as Buckeye Football.

Its not like the corners where the horseshoe buts up against the endzone stand soaks up a substantial amount of noise. :) Put 100,000 people all around a football field wanting to see big hits and big plays, the details of the shape doesn't matter all that much.

As far as the fanatical fans, that's the normal college town dynamic. Greater Columbus is in and amongst Cincinnati and Cleveland now, after the growth of the past twenty years, but fifty years ago it was less than half their size, 1m+ for the end C's and 1/3 of a million for the middle C. It was in reality the biggest of the second tier of cities, even though it always looked on itself as the smaller of the top tier, so it never had the distraction of pro sports in the Big Three to pull the Buckeyes below top spot in the Central Ohio sporting landscape.

Among the largest is even easier: just add a deck, rinse and repeat. Took some ingenuity, to be sure, but that's why the designers get paid their dough. And putting seats to replace a big part of the tunnel canopies is more of the same.
06-07-2013 12:54 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
I'm OK with the added seats so long as it doesn't feel less like a horseshoe. Smith said they were sensitive to that in that link and hope he's right.
06-08-2013 08:34 AM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
RU should have been expanding already. The BIG membership has already caused greater interest in tickets. We need to build on spec. Once the BIg schools are coming to campus, even an expanded stadium will be filed.
06-08-2013 12:08 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-08-2013 08:34 AM)ohio1317 Wrote:  I'm OK with the added seats so long as it doesn't feel less like a horseshoe. Smith said they were sensitive to that in that link and hope he's right.
Based on the drawing, it doesn't look like the lines of the new seats will make it look any more like a bowl.
06-08-2013 03:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.