Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If UH and Rice were undefeated when they played, would 60k show up at Reliant?
Cougar Hippy Offline
Banned

I Root For: Dear old U of H
If UH and Rice were undefeated when they played, would 60k show up at Reliant?
If that were the case, I'm sure 50k of those people would be wearing red but 60k is 60k.

All semi-joking of aside, I've been wondering this for a while now.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2013 02:22 PM by Cougar Hippy.)
06-06-2013 02:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I Root For: Rice
RE: If UH and Rice were undefeated when they played, would 60k show up at Reliant?
Rice was not undefeated in 2008 (against W Michigan) and Reliant was packed (nearly 60k in attendance).

I vote yes.
06-06-2013 02:35 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
RE: If UH and Rice were undefeated when they played, would 60k show up at Reliant?
(06-06-2013 02:21 PM)Cougar Hippy Wrote:  If that were the case, I'm sure 50k of those people would be wearing red but 60k is 60k.

If they gave seats based on SAT scores the UH section would be in Huntsville....just semi-joking..yuk yuk yuk.

If you want to post the question without the snide comments I would answer.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2013 02:39 PM by Tiki Owl.)
06-06-2013 02:36 PM
JSA Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Back in the SWC days, my dream was to have 10-0 Rice playing 10-0 UH (at HRS) for the Cotton Bowl berth. I think that would have drawn close to 50K.
06-06-2013 02:53 PM
Advertisement

07owl Offline
All American

(06-06-2013 02:21 PM)Cougar Hippy Wrote:  If that were the case, I'm sure 50k of those people would be wearing red but 60k is 60k.

Then I guess you should be asking that question to UH fans
06-06-2013 03:13 PM
temchugh Offline
1st String

In 2013, this would mean that Rice has beaten (formerly top five ranked) A&M and also Kansas and UH has beaten nobody of any consequence. However, I think that it would still be too early in the season for the match-up to attract very many bandwagon jumpers.
06-06-2013 03:23 PM
75src Offline
All American

We had 60,000 for the Rice-UH game in 1971 at the start of the season when both teams were 0-0. That was the first time Rice and UH had played.
06-06-2013 03:26 PM
Advertisement

Barrett Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice, SJS

New Orleans Bowl
So you're question is, essentially, whether Rice would bring 10,000 fans to play UH, with Rice having already beaten A&M and Kansas?

I'm serious, the UH people who come here are so adorable I could just pinch them!
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2013 04:11 PM by Barrett.)
06-06-2013 04:10 PM
Burpelson Offline
2nd String

I Root For: coogs
Yes, it would be a bad ass Tier I crowd!
06-06-2013 05:06 PM
Barrett Offline
All American

New Orleans Bowl
UH is not really Tier One. This Tier One business has been the greatest trick Khator has pulled while at UH. The sole basis for this Tier One claim is the fact that UH is now classified by the Carnegie Foundation, for the first time, as a RU/VH university. RU/VH means "research university, very high." This speaks to the amount--the sheer quantity, not quality, mind you--of research conducted at the school. RU/VH is the highest level among over 300 universities in the U.S. Carnegie does not use any kind of label that mentions "Tier One." That was solely a Khator invention.

The real trick is that Tier One is a just a generic term, but Khator has made everyone at UH believe it is an official designation. In doing so, she is leveraging on various generic uses of "Tier One," such as US News & World Report's previous use of Tier One to mean the top-50 or Top-100 universities in country. Clearly UH is not in that league. And even if Carnegie used the phrase "Tier One," it would not speak to the academic excellence or admission standards of UH; it would speak to the research output.

But it's true: in terms of research output, UH is now, for the first time, among the top-300 schools in the country. Congratulations. The really strange thing is when the above point has been made to UH people, the overwhelming response is, "So what if it's not really true. People thinking UH is good is good for the city." By that measure, I think Rice ought to tout itself as a Super-Duper-Tier football school.

EDIT TO ADD:

This is from UH's own website:

Quote:Has the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching recognized UH as a Tier One research university?

In its most recent classification of universities, issued in January 2011, the Carnegie Foundation categorized UH as a Research University with "very high research activity" (RU/VH) the highest classification given to research universities and the equivalent of Tier One status. UH was previously in the "high research activity" category.

If this were a deposition, the questioning lawyer would object to the answer as "nonresponsive." The answer notably does not directly answer the question.

Quote:Who determines if a university is Tier One?

Within the academic community, there are three organizations that are generally accepted as national arbiters of an institution’s rank as a Tier One institution. They are the Association of American Universities, the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and the Center for Measuring University Performance, which issues Top American Research University (TARU) reports. Recognition by any of these three is taken as an indication of Tier One status.

Says who? It's pretty disingenuous to say that being one of the top 300 research-output universities in the country is essentially equivalent to being one of the 62 AAU universities in the country.

The Texas Legislature does use a "Tier One" designation for purposes of giving certain schools access to state funds. Notably, when the question (again on the UH website) is whether the State of Texas considers UH a "Tier One" school that can have access to the funds, the answer is illuminating:

Quote:UH's designation as a top-tier research university by the Carnegie Foundation should have no direct effect on its meeting the NRUF benchmarks and qualifying for the designated funds. UH remains classified as an Emerging Research University and, as such, remains eligible for financial support.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2013 06:27 PM by Barrett.)
06-06-2013 05:22 PM
Advertisement

Burpelson Offline
2nd String

Man this Tier I stuff wrinkles them panties, it's all good for the City in the end.
06-06-2013 05:47 PM
Wiessman Away
All American

(06-06-2013 05:47 PM)Burpelson Wrote:  Man this Tier I stuff wrinkles them panties, it's all good for the City in the end.

Not if it is a contrived bull**** standard which everyone outside of UH sees through.

Out here in Cali, most people are not even aware that there is a University of Houston. Seriously. So good luck making it all the way from nonexistence to "Tier 1" in the minds of those on the west coast.

On topic, if both UH and Rice were undefeated, say, over halfway into the season, a game between the two teams at Reliant would definitely sell out. Definitely. There would be national attention from ESPN, and there are just too many college football fans in the area who would love to be present at a grudge match between two undefeated FBS teams.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2013 05:57 PM by Wiessman.)
06-06-2013 05:56 PM
Barrett Offline
All American

New Orleans Bowl
Burpelson's response is typical. They either know it's BS already and don't care. Or they're hearing it for the first time and perhaps don't understand the words that are being said. I don't like lies or shams or frauds, even those that are "good for the City."
06-06-2013 06:15 PM
Advertisement

Jonathan Sadow Offline
1st String

I Root For: Strigids
New Orleans Bowl

This has already happened. In 2004, Houston and Rice met at Reliant Stadium when both were undefeated, and only 28,726 showed up, so the answer to your question is a definite "no".
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2013 06:41 PM by Jonathan Sadow.)
06-06-2013 06:37 PM
Cougar Hippy Offline
Banned

I Root For: Dear old U of H
(06-06-2013 06:37 PM)Jonathan Sadow Wrote:  This has already happened. In 2004, Houston and Rice met at Reliant Stadium when both were undefeated, and only 28,726 showed up, so the answer to your question is a definite "no".

A lot has changed in almost 10 years.
06-06-2013 06:48 PM
Burpelson Offline
2nd String

Sorry for the wedgey, but I not gonna shed a Tier :)
06-06-2013 07:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.