Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

alumni pressure
Bookmark and Share
jmutoml757 Offline
All American

I Root For: jmu
alumni pressure
I am still relatively new to the boards and all the titilating discussion, wisdom, and insider information it offers. But I do have a serious question that has probably been discussed on the boards before. How many of you have emailed Bourne and Alger to express your desires for JMU athletics and/or displeasure with current circumstances? Also, does it make any difference at all? Seriously. I have expressed myself many times and gotten some response back, but I wonder if it makes any difference. So, is it just a waste of time?
06-03-2013 09:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
RE: alumni pressure
It is not a waste of time, but face to face conversations carries more weight. Alger will talk to you and listen. He won't spill the beans, but we will know his agenda in the next month or so.
06-03-2013 09:31 PM
jmad1son Offline
Special Teams

I don't think it is a waste of time to share your opinions with Alger and Bourne as we need to give them genuine input on what alumni are thinking. I tend to find that alumns who are not employed at JMU are more forthcoming with their feedback versus the one's who are employed at the University. This may be in fear of reprisal, whether real or just a perception. No matter what decision is made by the administration, we should at least feel satisfied that other points of view were shared and considered. So, share your opinions with the belief that your input will be valued, no matter what direction is decided.
06-03-2013 10:39 PM
JMUDDOG Offline
Bench Warmer

Good question, OP. Honestly, I've never emailed Mr.Alger or Mr.Bourne. I thought about it and will probably do it soon. I would guess the more input they get the better decision they will be able to make. The Vision is not just the presidents alone, but the University as whole and all the alumnae. Hopefully we can each make a difference whether its donations or personal input.
06-04-2013 01:31 AM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
alumni pressure
Email Alger. He'll respond.
06-04-2013 06:22 AM
Advertisement

JMUBarry Offline
Bench Warmer

alumni pressure
I have done so several times and it makes a difference. At a minimum, I feel better about where we are going after receiving their responses, even though details are not being disclosed.
06-04-2013 06:31 AM
WhereIsDukeDog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: JMU
(06-04-2013 06:22 AM)JMU2004 Wrote:  Email Alger. He'll respond.

Would someone be willing to re-post their email addresses?
06-04-2013 09:41 AM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
I've emailed President Alger twice. He responded once. He did not respond to an email I sent the same day GMU left the CAA. I think he was bombarded with emails the day GMU left the CAA, hence, the Carr Statement. I'm glad the statement was made, frustrated it took an email blast to get any data from the admin and as some say, the Carr report was not already in the works.

I've emailed Bourne in the past and he has responded in the past. Lately, not so much which I understand, it's not like he is going to say "JMU is going to the MAC on July 1" or "screw the alum and students, I support CAA for life because Tom and I are buddy-buddy"

Does it make a difference? I don't think it makes a difference to a CAA entrenched Bourne. Alger is juggling so it can make difference where he chooses to spend his energy but at this point we need to know where we stand, do a few hundred emails tip a decision, I hope we already know which way the wind blows.
06-04-2013 10:06 AM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

I've emailed both Alger and Bourne twice, and got responses from my first, but not my second. What I did appreciate was the emails appeared genuine and not canned.
I highly recommend anyone that has not emailed them to please do so. Every voice helps, but I don't think one person emailing over and over will help the cause.
I do have faith in our admin, but I will admit it is dwindling. Right now we just need to make our voices known. They are clearly listening, we just don't know the extent of their actions yet.
The good news is that we won't have to wait much longer to find out.
06-04-2013 10:33 AM
Advertisement

jmutoml757 Offline
All American

I Root For: jmu
Maybe this would be a waste of their time (in their opinion), but do they monitor these fan boards or have someone keep up with the rumors and general view and attitude of the fans? Anyone know?
06-04-2013 10:36 AM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
(06-04-2013 10:33 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  I've emailed both Alger and Bourne twice, and got responses from my first, but not my second. What I did appreciate was the emails appeared genuine and not canned.
I highly recommend anyone that has not emailed them to please do so. Every voice helps, but I don't think one person emailing over and over will help the cause.
I do have faith in our admin, but I will admit it is dwindling. Right now we just need to make our voices known. They are clearly listening, we just don't know the extent of their actions yet.
The good news is that we won't have to wait much longer to find out.

That's the thing, we don't know how much longer we'll have to wait. If admin/Carr decides that it's in JMU's best interest to remain in the CAA (even if it's just for the immediate future), they're not going to say much of anything. You don't hold a press conference/make a press release to say you've decided to do nothing.

We're either going to hear about moving to a new conference within the next month, or we probably won't get a formal statement from the administration about conference re-alignment until after this football season at earliest.
06-04-2013 10:42 AM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

They may reply but there's no way to say whether it makes a difference or not. So far it really hasn't.
06-04-2013 10:44 AM
Yesolitis Offline
Special Teams

Definitely not a waste of time. People must be heard if they want their way. For all the bashing that goes on, our admin does a great job of personally responding to alumni, as evidenced in this thread. I have spoken to admin and also had e-mail responses to my inquiries and comments. Coaches also sometimes will respond, but less so other than a "Thanks for the support" kind of e-mail.
06-04-2013 11:08 AM
Advertisement

BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-04-2013 11:08 AM)Yesolitis Wrote:  Definitely not a waste of time. People must be heard if they want their way. For all the bashing that goes on, our admin does a great job of personally responding to alumni, as evidenced in this thread. I have spoken to admin and also had e-mail responses to my inquiries and comments. Coaches also sometimes will respond, but less so other than a "Thanks for the support" kind of e-mail.

MB has responded to every e-mail I've sent and quickly. I've sent at least 5. I finally told him no need to respond.

MM: responded but about 3 months after I sent mine. His response was very brief.
06-04-2013 01:50 PM
Centdukesfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud
i dont think mickey matthews knows how to use the internet
06-04-2013 02:15 PM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
(06-04-2013 02:15 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  i dont think mickey matthews knows how to use the internet

Yeah, he seems like he still has an AOL email address for sure.
06-04-2013 03:19 PM
jmu007 Offline
All American

alumni pressure
(06-04-2013 03:19 PM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  
(06-04-2013 02:15 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  i dont think mickey matthews knows how to use the internet

I couldn't help but read this and think of BSKB. :-P

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
06-05-2013 06:03 AM
Advertisement

BSKB 24 Offline
All American

(06-05-2013 06:03 AM)jmu007 Wrote:  

Hey, what is wrong with an AOL email address? I have had the same one since I first started on the internet!
06-05-2013 06:16 AM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-05-2013 06:16 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 06:03 AM)jmu007 Wrote:  

Hey, what is wrong with an AOL email address? I have had the same one since I first started on the internet!

Yeah, me too. Like the idea of having the same email address my whole cyber life. Also hate the idea of having a "Big Brother" Gmail account. Besides, how else would all those people in Nigeria find me to give away all that money?
06-05-2013 07:27 AM
JMU_71 Offline
1st String

Ever since I ventured onto Algore's amazing interwebs I have used a yahoo account for general stuff and i have another email account that i only use for personal correspondence.
06-05-2013 11:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.