Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

University of Houston expands student housing
Hymie Weiss Offline
2nd String

I Root For: HOUSTON
University of Houston expands student housing
Really wanted to share this great quote with you fellas. Enjoy.

“UH shows up on the national radar,” said Brent Little, president of Fountain Residential Partners. “It’s a 41,000-student Tier One research institution. You look at the amount of new construction, the athletics, the education, all of it is hitting the national radar.”

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013...t-housing/
06-03-2013 02:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
RE: University of Houston expands student housing
I wouldn't want to be on the first floor with a flood prone Bayou 75 feet away.
06-03-2013 05:45 PM
Burpelson Offline
2nd String

I Root For: coogs
never worry, Tier I piling!
06-03-2013 06:00 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I Root For: Rice
(06-03-2013 05:45 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  I wouldn't want to be on the first floor with a flood prone Bayou 75 feet away.

That would make UH into a Tier Pier 1 school...
06-03-2013 06:14 PM
wheredidmypantsgo Offline
All American

I Root For: the Rice Owls

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I guess I may be unique around here (or maybe not) in actually pulling for UH to improve as a university overall -- setting aside sports, of course. I'd like to see them lose their "commuter school" knock and become a true Tier 1 university.

Now on the sports side, I hope they continue their ever-quickening slide to irrelevance. I giggle uncontrollably about that daily.
06-03-2013 06:31 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
It's being built on non-University owned land by a private company using their own financing.

It's not UH money. Build at the corner of S. Mcgregor and Calhoun. But I suggest the first couple of levels be a parking garage with occupancy space above that.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2013 06:58 PM by WoodlandsOwl.)
06-03-2013 06:40 PM
Advertisement

Burpelson Offline
2nd String

I do expect great things with new football stadium and a $50 million upgrade to Hof, our Athletic facilities have been the pits for about 15 years, and it's way past time.
06-03-2013 06:41 PM
Rice93 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(06-03-2013 02:55 PM)Hymie Weiss Wrote:  Really wanted to share this great quote with you fellas. Enjoy.

“UH shows up on the national radar,” said Brent Little, president of Fountain Residential Partners. “It’s a 41,000-student Tier One research institution. You look at the amount of new construction, the athletics, the education, all of it is hitting the national radar.”

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013...t-housing/

Good for UH... long past due.

Funny that you sped over here to provide us this "great quote" though.

So the president of the company gave your school glowing praise? This is the same company to which your school just awarded a big contract, correct? And that is supposed to provide proof somehow that UH is, in fact, an elite school? What am I missing here?
06-03-2013 06:54 PM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
I've thought that for some time UH would have a lot more potential if the school was situated elsewhere in the city. I guess it might not be the University of Houston - more like the University of the Woodlands or the University of Sugar Land - but it just seems to me that it would have more potential if it could be situated on a larger land plot somewhere in the suburbs. Outside of the view of downtown, there just isn't much to like about UH's location.
06-03-2013 07:25 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(06-03-2013 06:31 PM)wheredidmypantsgo Wrote:  I guess I may be unique around here (or maybe not) in actually pulling for UH to improve as a university overall -- setting aside sports, of course. I'd like to see them lose their "commuter school" knock and become a true Tier 1 university.

Now on the sports side, I hope they continue their ever-quickening slide to irrelevance. I giggle uncontrollably about that daily.

I'm with you and I think a lot of people are. Houston as a city will definitely benefit from it. The academic cornerstone statements are funny nonetheless.
06-03-2013 07:41 PM
75src Offline
All American

I agree for various reasons including graduating from UH law school. UH needs to not think that geting Carnegie designation is enough and they need to shoot for getting American Association of Universities membership ultimately. If they get ready, then Rice could sponsor them like we did Texas A&M. Houston with benefit from being a center of learning with Rice, the Medical Center and an improved UH.

I do not enjoy UH's slide into athletic irrelevance because except for baseball Rice's fall has been even worse. I enjoyed the day when the Southwest Conference was strong. I hate that both Rice and UH have been shoved into irrelevance. The Cougars thought they had found their way into a power conference, but after the defections it is not much better than CUSA, but I am no more happy about their misfortune as I am about our own.

I agree with another post that UH would be better regarded if it was in a different neighborhood. UH is an island in a sea of nothingness for several miles around it. I stayed in my SW Houston apartment when I went to UH Law school. Just about all the students from out of town moved away from UH and into SW Houston after the first year. At least, we had the Local Charm and Gracie's nearby to go to, but those two bars have long disappeared.

(06-03-2013 07:41 PM)Antarius Wrote:  
(06-03-2013 06:31 PM)wheredidmypantsgo Wrote:  I guess I may be unique around here (or maybe not) in actually pulling for UH to improve as a university overall -- setting aside sports, of course. I'd like to see them lose their "commuter school" knock and become a true Tier 1 university.

I'm with you and I think a lot of people are. Houston as a city will definitely benefit from it. The academic cornerstone statements are funny nonetheless.
06-03-2013 08:35 PM
Advertisement

WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
(06-03-2013 08:35 PM)75src Wrote:  I agree for various reasons including graduating from UH law school. UH needs to not think that geting Carnegie designation is enough and they need to shoot for getting American Association of Universities membership ultimately. If they get ready, then Rice could sponsor them like we did Texas A&M. Houston with benefit from being a center of learning with Rice, the Medical Center and an improved UH.

I do not enjoy UH's slide into athletic irrelevance because except for baseball Rice's fall has been even worse. I enjoyed the day when the Southwest Conference was strong. I hate that both Rice and UH have been shoved into irrelevance. The Cougars thought they had found their way into a power conference, but after the defections it is not much better than CUSA, but I am no more happy about their misfortune as I am about our own.

I agree with another post that UH would be better regarded if it was in a different neighborhood. UH is an island in a sea of nothingness for several miles around it. I stayed in my SW Houston apartment when I went to UH Law school. Just about all the students from out of town moved away from UH and into SW Houston after the first year. At least, we had the Local Charm and Gracie's nearby to go to, but those two bars have long disappeared.

In the 50's and early 60's the Riverside -McGregor Park was a great area. Some nice houses along the Bayou and along the surrounding streets. With the light rail coming through things might change quick.

You already see some gated developments around KIPP.
06-03-2013 08:55 PM
Burpelson Offline
2nd String

I love the location of UH, the new rail line coming down Scott is going to change that area, but in the end, UH is building it's own City within it's walls, they have invested $1 Billion in new buildings, and have a goal of 10,000 beds on campus.
06-04-2013 05:45 AM
JustAnotherAustinOwl Offline
1st String

This. The city of Houston and Rice will both benefit from a stronger UH. The Tier One, academic cornerstone nonsense is grating though.

And the conference jumping leaves a bad taste.
06-04-2013 06:41 AM
JOwl Offline
sum guy

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(06-04-2013 05:45 AM)Burpelson Wrote:  I love the location of UH, the new rail line coming down Scott is going to change that area, but in the end, UH is building it's own City within it's walls, they have invested $1 Billion in new buildings, and have a goal of 10,000 beds on campus.

10,000 beds would be a good start.

This blog post is confused/confusing, though. Says "It will be the first privately owned off campus community, the company said." Without more context, that makes no sense.

Also, it says they're razing two apartment complexes and a service station for this. So not clear if the net number of available beds is going up or down.
06-04-2013 06:43 AM
Burpelson Offline
2nd String

I think these are going to be built near the Rec Center or near the Henry MacGregor Park that UH purchased a few years back. Most of the expansion is heading in that direction near OST and the 43 acres of MacGregor Park.
06-04-2013 12:59 PM
Advertisement

WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
(06-04-2013 12:59 PM)Burpelson Wrote:  I think these are going to be built near the Rec Center or near the Henry MacGregor Park that UH purchased a few years back. Most of the expansion is heading in that direction near OST and the 43 acres of MacGregor Park.

Sooner or later the Legislature will get tired of the TSU corruption and merge some of its departments with UH. Lots of room to move down Wheeler.
06-04-2013 03:20 PM
Burpelson Offline
2nd String

I dont think the BOR would approve of TSU, to much would be named what UH could not do vs what they could do.
06-04-2013 04:30 PM
Rice93 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(06-04-2013 04:30 PM)Burpelson Wrote:  I dont think the BOR would approve of TSU, to much would be named what UH could not do vs what they could do.

Go home, Burpelson. You're drunk.
06-04-2013 07:02 PM
75src Offline
All American

I remember having to use that Texaco and another on Almeda to find gasoline during the 1973 gasoline shortage. It was about time to tear the old apartment groups down. I think one was a drug rehab center about 25 years ago.

I have noticed UH has built its own city within a city because there are not many restaurants, etc. in the surrounding area. The only one I can think of worth making a special trip to is Frenchy's Fried Chicken on Scott Street.

All the new beds on campus is going to change the past idea of UH just being a commuter university. 10,000 new beds at UH is a lot more than the around 3,000 in colleges and maybe less than 1,000 in graduate apartments that we have.

i do not think UH wants much to do with TSU. I think the UH main campus is up to 41,000 and other universities (UT and A&M) put on enrollent caps when they reached around 50,000 and then became more selective in admissions. I assume UH will probably do the same when they are able.

The new Southeast line would be good in connecting UH to the rest of the city. It is a shame the additional University line is off in the distant future.

(06-04-2013 06:43 AM)JOwl Wrote:  
(06-04-2013 05:45 AM)Burpelson Wrote:  I love the location of UH, the new rail line coming down Scott is going to change that area, but in the end, UH is building it's own City within it's walls, they have invested $1 Billion in new buildings, and have a goal of 10,000 beds on campus.

10,000 beds would be a good start.

This blog post is confused/confusing, though. Says "It will be the first privately owned off campus community, the company said." Without more context, that makes no sense.

Also, it says they're razing two apartment complexes and a service station for this. So not clear if the net number of available beds is going up or down.
06-05-2013 12:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.