Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice vs. Oregon (Eugene Regional Championship Game)-- Bounce Back Monday
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
Rice vs. Oregon (Eugene Regional Championship Game)-- Bounce Back Monday
This team has shown resilience and perservence all season long. We were at risk of getting swept at home by both UCF and Memphis, but found a way to bounce back and win the series finale. We bounced back from a 10-1 shallacking in the CUSA season opener in Hattiasburg (arguably AK's worst game of the year) to win the next two games and capture the road series. We bounced back from badly played series opening losses to both UH and UAB to take the weekend series. No reason we cannot bounce back one more time.

Let's bring the focus, aggressiveness, energy and will to win to the field tonight, and show Oregon-- and the nation-- that last night's game was a fluke. Let's extend the season another week, and taste some Carolina BBQ. Go Owls!
06-03-2013 08:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
RE: Rice vs. Oregon (Eugene Regional Championship Game)-- Bounce Back Monday
With regards to who will be pitching for both teams tonight in the championship game, here my post from last night...

Quote:It's going to be a VERY interesting decision for both coaches. Very strange that Horton pulled Gold so early, given how effective he was (or _____ we were) and how big a lead he had. He also showed us and used Hunter, who was the next logical option for tomorrow. I'd be surprised if he goes back to either of them after we had a chance to see them both tonight. My guess is he starts with Reed, if only for the first 2 - 3 innings, and then tries to ride LHP Cleavinger and RHP Sherfy to the finish. The problem there, as Tiki pointed out, though they're both well rested and used to pitching virtually every game, they've been used all season as strictly one inning pitchers per outing. Cleavinger has thrown 40.1 innings in 36 appearances, and Sherfy 38.2 inning in 37 appearances. Both are big, durable guys, but to ask them to suddenly go 3 - 5 innings, and expect them to retain their lights out effectiveness, is asking alot. The only other guy they can turn to is yet another one-inning middle reliever, LHP Christian Jones (20 app, 1 start, 23.1 IP, 2.74 ERA, .205 BAA, 7 BBs, 20 Ks)-- great stats, but never in any pressure situation. Then again, remember what the Oregon State #5 starter did against us in Omaha back in 2007.

As for us, I'd personally go with McDowell and then ride Lemond, and hold out Kubitza for a 1 - 2 inning closer role....but, knowing The OG, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he starts either Zech or AK. As he's fond of saying, you don't want to risk going home without using up all your bullets. And while we've seen both Cleavinger and Sherfy, albeit briefly on Saturday, they've yet to see either Zech or Austin. BTW, from what I've heard, this is precisely the reason Wayne's game plan for the USM championship game last Sunday was to stretch Zech 4+ innings-- to get him ready for such a need in the post-season. (Of course, he never thought that game was going to go 12 innings, but...)

After sleeping on it, I'm now even more convinced The OG will go with his best bullets-- starting Kubitza and handing the ball over to Lemond at the first sign of trouble. Not sure I agree with it-- afterall, it was McDowell who pitched the complete game 1-0 shutout over Cal the day after the weekend debacle at Minute Maid-- but I can certainly understand and appreciate Wayne going in that direction; especially since this could be AK's final game as an Owl.
06-03-2013 09:25 AM
MJY Offline
1st String

I Root For:
+1 that this team has bounced back before and can do so again.

Also, Oregon has used up 4 great pitching performances (we've had 2) and 2 good hitting performances (we've had 0) in this regional, and they are no closer to the regional championship than we are. I like our chances to get one more good pitching performance and some offense tonight. Other than the sun-ball to end the USF game, our hitters haven't had much luck.
06-03-2013 10:49 AM
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
I understand the desire to start AK. I just don't think it is the right move for him.
06-03-2013 10:50 AM
Bay Area Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
The Owls just need to shake off last night's bad loss and recognize they still have a pitching advantage.

I think Graham will start Kubitza for a few innings and then go to Lemond for a few more. It's very important that the Owls start the game well. I think it's more important to have the best pitching in the early innings than worrying about the late innings, when the game could already be out of reach. Sheer adrenaline will get the Owl pitching through the game if we can first establish the lead. Falling behind early could be devastating.

If the bats don't wake up tonight, I don't think the Owls will advance regardless, but keeping a lid on Oregon's not-so-great offense will give the Owl bats a chance to establish a good lead. I do think the Owl offense is due for an eruption.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2013 11:13 AM by Bay Area Owl.)
06-03-2013 11:11 AM
At Ease Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Rice Owls
Yeah, fire your best bullets first. All the pressure here is on Oregon, they're the national seed playing at home. The longer the game is in doubt, the more they will press.
06-03-2013 11:20 AM
Advertisement

Ricefootballnet Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Institute

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Lemond. Pleeeese.....
06-03-2013 12:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CoatzaOwl Offline
1st String

Donators
If the objective to get off to a good start, I'd say Lemond gives you the best chance to do so. There is no experience that suggests Kubitza can give you 2-3 strong innings only two days after throwing 103 pitches against USF.

I won't do this. I think the objective is to hold UO to 3 runs or less - meaning the last 6 innings are just as important as the 1st three. I'd say we're going to need our "2nd tier" guys (some combination of Fox, Ditman, McCanna, McDowell) to step up and give us at least 3 strong innings. Even though neither performed particularly well yesterday, I like that Fox and Ditman got their feet wet (threw off the mound, experienced the pressure of a Regional game, etc.).

I'd start Fox. Just a hunch... I like what he did down the stretch; I guess he's still got enough in the tank to go 3 innings; and I think he's competitive enough to come out with a chip on his shoulder after yesterday.

Lemond would be my 1st guy out of the pen. Hopefully after 3 strong innings from Blake.

If I can get 3 innings out of Zech, then I'd piece together final 3 innings with anybody I thought could get me an out or 2 (i.e., Kubitza, Ditman, McCanna, McDowell, ...).

Btw... I won't be shy about using Simms or Stephens for a really critical out or two at any point if I thought either one gave me the best shot at getting out of a jam.
06-03-2013 12:36 PM
talon owl Offline
Chicken Fingers Justin

I Root For: The OE Arrrrrgh

New Orleans BowlThe Parliament Awards
Isn't it 3-days rest for Kubitza (he pitched Friday). It would be roughly 72 hours from his last in-game pitch.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2013 12:46 PM by talon owl.)
06-03-2013 12:46 PM
At Ease Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Rice Owls
Yeah, it's 3 days, and we do have evidence that he can pitch effectively on short rest, as he started a Tuesday game after throwing ~90 pitches Friday earlier in the year, in which he threw 4 hitless innings.
06-03-2013 12:53 PM
Bay Area Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I strongly suspect we'll see an appearance from Kubitza this evening no matter what, so why not start him?

Graham and Kubitza, of course, need to have frank discussion over how Kubitza is feeling about his arm, but if he thinks he can throw 2-3 strong innings, why not start him as the ace?

If Oregon falls behind significantly, their small-ball offense with a distinct lack of power is not designed to recover from a big deficit. The Owls need to get a good jump on the lead tonight.
06-03-2013 01:13 PM
Advertisement

UOducksTK1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: owls
BTW I posted a link to this forum on my site, and wanted to invite anyone who wants to talk about this game over on our place as well. Should be a great game tonight!

http://ducksattack.com/forum
06-03-2013 02:44 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
E-mail from Chuck Pool indicates we lost the coin toss, and will again be visitors tonight.

Starting pitchers yet to be named, but Horton apparently insinuated to the press several hours ago that he would be starting a right-hander. I'm presuming that means Reed, who threw only 79 pitches on Friday evening (vs. Kubitza's 103 pitches that afternoon), as I cannot believe the Ducks would roll the dice with a seldom-used, second tier pitcher. Reports on the Oregon message board is that middle reliever and spot starter, LHP Christian Jones, has had health issues and may not be available.
06-03-2013 04:22 PM
Viejobuho Offline
Special Teams

Am travelling in Italy--- game time about 3 am here--- but if ESPN3 does not betray me, I will be watching.

Go Owls!
06-03-2013 04:28 PM
13thOwl Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice University
Baseball GeniusDonatorsFootball Genius
Last night doesn't bother me as much as it would have a few years ago. This team played .667 ball most of the year. Well, it lost its only game of the weekend. I feel good that it will take tonight's game.

The announcers keep hyping "the Michaels". I think tonight's hero will not be one of them. Everyday it is someone else who picks this team up. If Rice advances, I pity the team they play, as "the Michaels" will probably destroy them. Look for a nice team win tonight. Lots of little things add up fast in baseball. Tonight should be all about the "w".

Keep the faith people. Rice can and in a non-weaufxing way - will win tonight. Good luck Wayne and the rest of the Owls.

BTW, I am on the floor in my office watching the drive-time traffic on Loop 610 while making imaginary snow angels and visualizing World Peace and a Rice win...
06-03-2013 04:54 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Vandy going with their #4 mid-week starter vs. Georgia Tech, who are going with their ace after one day rest (he threw 59 pitches on Saturday afternoon).
06-03-2013 05:37 PM
Advertisement

grol Offline
Baseball Fan

Donators
(06-03-2013 04:54 PM)13thOwl Wrote:  BTW, I am on the floor in my office watching the drive-time traffic on Loop 610 while making imaginary snow angels and visualizing World Peace and a Rice win...

Next time send a picture...

Go Owls.
06-03-2013 05:40 PM
grol Offline
Baseball Fan

Donators
Sirius XM College (91) with Eric S on now.
5:40

Eric is going with OU as winner tonight...even though "an admitted Rice homer."
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2013 05:51 PM by grol.)
06-03-2013 05:41 PM
13thOwl Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice University
Baseball GeniusDonatorsFootball Genius
(06-03-2013 05:40 PM)grol Wrote:  
(06-03-2013 04:54 PM)13thOwl Wrote:  BTW, I am on the floor in my office watching the drive-time traffic on Loop 610 while making imaginary snow angels and visualizing World Peace and a Rice win...

Next time send a picture...

Go Owls.

"...best two minutes of my day..."
06-03-2013 05:42 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Take it for what it's worth, but this just appeared on the Duck message board...

Quote:From over at DuckTerritory, someone spoke to Gold's parents and they told them that the pitching order for today would be Reed, Cleavinger, Jones, and Sherfy

Sounds about right, given the options Coach Horton has. so, we'll be seeing RHP, power lefty, soft-tossing lefy, power righty. All these guys have great stats...

Reed (So, RHP): 16 starts, 6-5, 98.2 IP, 3.10 ERA, .246 BAA, 29 BBs, 10 HBP, 62 Ks
Cleavinger (Fr, LHP): 36 app, 9-0, 2 saves, 40.1 IP, 1.34 ERA, .134 BAA, 24 BBs, 9 WP, 52 Ks
Jones (RS Jr LHP): 20 app, 1 start, 1-1, 1 save, 23.0 IP, 2.74 ERA, .205 BAA, 7 BBs, 20 Ks
Sherfy (Jr, RHP): 37 app, 2-0, 21 saves, 38.2 IP, 1.63 ERA, .212 BAA, 14 BBs, 53 Ks

All these guys, save for Cleavinger, have exceptional control...so, hopefully, we're ready to be aggressive at the plate tonight (unlike last night's fiasco, in which it appeared our batters didn't want to be up there).
06-03-2013 06:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.