Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Airport empty ~ sad
Bookmark and Share
21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
Airport empty ~ sad
I dropped a family member off at Memphis International Airport tonight for a 6:30 flight. She reported there was ONE flight on the board, the place was empty, and none of the shops were open.

I knew of our bad situation there, but on a Saturday night???!!!! One flight?

Dang! How have we fallen so low? (Yeah, I know, I know)

I can't get out of my mind all the times I have come in from a trip or left on one in the 1970's, 1980's, and 1990's, with all the hustle and bustle and excitement and people watching. I hope Southwest helps a bit. Just really depressing, and a bummer when you are telling a family member good-bye, for you and them.
06-01-2013 11:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Browning Hall Offline
All American

I Root For: Mayhem
RE: Airport empty ~ sad
Counted a few more (out of curiosity).

Attached File(s)
.jpg  image.jpg (Size: 475.25 KB / Downloads: 94)
06-01-2013 11:31 PM
Heisman

I see. Going to Atlanta or Charlotte, and several international flights. I am sure there were more during the evening, but geesh. And that huge, ugly, empty parking garage obscuring the view of our elegant airport.
06-02-2013 12:34 AM
Browning Hall Offline
All American

That was just the 6-7pm schedule, but "empty and everything closed" does sound odd.
06-02-2013 07:55 AM
RationalRebel Offline
All American

I Root For: Ole Miss
There are only about 20 flights now on Saturday. 90 or so during the week. Folks don't travel on Saturday.
06-02-2013 09:06 AM
cp44fla Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Fresca
(06-01-2013 11:31 PM)Bro:cloud9:wning Hall Wrote:  Counted a few more (out of curiosity).

That is actually only two flights. They just list all,the code share partners as their own flights when in actuality it's the same flight
06-02-2013 09:42 AM
Advertisement

Browning Hall Offline
All American

(06-02-2013 09:42 AM)cp44fla Wrote:  
(06-01-2013 11:31 PM)Bro:cloud9:wning Hall Wrote:  Counted a few more (out of curiosity).

That is actually only two flights. They just list all,the code share partners as their own flights when in actuality it's the same flight

Ahhhh... Should have caught that, especially since they were all leaving at the same time.
06-02-2013 11:07 AM
Heisman

That explains it, Chris. I am sure Saturday is not a big flight day, but you would think some people would be going home after a vacation so they would have an extra day to rest up before the workweek.

Yes, I can attest to the fact that when I let my daughter out of the car, there were absolutely no cars on the ramp and I felt like I could have parked there all night. No nazi parking police like there usually are. She wanted to grab a bite to eat before her flight, nothing open.
06-02-2013 04:20 PM
ojerry Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: tigers
I just got back from dropping off daughter at Little Rock airport. Flight to Charlotte from Memphis $500. From LR $175. No wonder Memphis AP empty!
06-02-2013 04:26 PM
Trapper John Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers
Just got back from a trip to California. My wife and I flew out of Little Rock for $495 total (combined). Flights from Memphis were almost double that.
06-02-2013 05:42 PM
Trapper John Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers
I will say that the terrorists on 9-11 took a lot of the joy and fun out of airline travel. Remember walking off a plane to throngs of family and friends? All the signs of welcome home and the smiles and hugs. Plus, as we noticed on this past trip, most airports are built inside out for modern times. Everything is inside security, and you must have a boarding pass to get through security - so no more fairwell dinners at the airport, or grabbing drinks with a friend before they leave. Flying used to be fun, now its just a hassle.
06-02-2013 05:52 PM
Advertisement

k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Donators
ironically, there was an article today from the AJC detailing how Memphis' clout as a "Hub" has taken a drastic downward turn.

I'd link it, but it was in my Arky Gazzette paper and they require a subscription. This whole deal is a shame, really.
06-02-2013 06:41 PM
TiggerFan Offline
See Ya, Albert

I Root For: US NAVY

Donators
(06-02-2013 09:06 AM)RationalRebel Wrote:  There are only about 20 flights now on Saturday. 90 or so during the week. Folks don't travel on Saturday.

Not sure how anybody avoids Saturday travel because of the expnnse. Not like this is new. Regardless of airline.
06-02-2013 08:09 PM
RationalRebel Offline
All American

I'm TSA PreCheck. What is this security you speak off? Hehe.

I'm sorry, but I'm not driving 4 hours to save $300.
06-02-2013 08:13 PM
RationalRebel Offline
All American

(06-02-2013 08:09 PM)TiggerFan Wrote:  
(06-02-2013 09:06 AM)RationalRebel Wrote:  There are only about 20 flights now on Saturday. 90 or so during the week. Folks don't travel on Saturday.

Not sure how anybody avoids Saturday travel because of the expnnse. Not like this is new. Regardless of airline.

Who actually travels on a Saturday?
06-02-2013 08:14 PM
Browning Hall Offline
All American

(06-02-2013 08:14 PM)RationalRebel Wrote:  

Non-business travelers?
06-02-2013 08:38 PM
Advertisement

Heisman

(06-02-2013 08:14 PM)RationalRebel Wrote:  

Leisure travelers who have to be at work on Monday? And my 20-something kids would all probably drive to LR and back to save $300, although I probably wouldn't. Heck, my daughter and her hubby drove to Nashville to fly to Florida!

Flights to Tampa from here are $500. I will definitely be looking at the new Southern Airways Express service to points south, even though I don't care for smaller planes, particularly. I am ready to be treated like a human once again, and I like the idea of "retro" flying they are promoting. Yep, flying is no longer fun or glamorous in the least.
06-02-2013 09:18 PM
tigertate Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(06-02-2013 04:26 PM)ojerry Wrote:  I just got back from dropping off daughter at Little Rock airport. Flight to Charlotte from Memphis $500. From LR $175. No wonder Memphis AP empty!

04-jawdrop

Nearly 3 times the price.

As that old furniture dude says; It's worth the drive.
06-02-2013 10:11 PM
kabluey Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(06-02-2013 06:41 PM)k2tigers Wrote:  ironically, there was an article today from the AJC detailing how Memphis' clout as a "Hub" has taken a drastic downward turn.

I'd link it, but it was in my Arky Gazzette paper and they require a subscription. This whole deal is a shame, really.

That's just Atlanta taunting and gloating. I don't know the tone, but I would guess it's passive aggresssive glee. Publicizing the negative about a competitor (and to the extent that they benefitted from our losses, and lured Memphis companies, indeed you better believe they perceive us as a competitor).

It is a shame that it takes so long for leaders to get the support from the populace to make progress; in so many communities, the populace fears change and prefers complaints as long as the status quo is preserved. I am witnessing it firsthand here in Tucson. Tragic, not having the cutthroat leadership necessary to realize one's potential.

But, the bright side is we are still far better off than we were five years ago, when our leadership was far more dysfunctional and not collaborative. We are turning this ship around, but we cannot be complacent. Atlanta is not going to give their businesses to us. No city is. We have to take it. We have to build it. We have to create it.
06-03-2013 12:40 PM
covingtontiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Donators
This is not a new thing. When the Tigers played in the Motor City Bowl, we priced tickets from Mempho to Detroit. Price = $750 each.

From Nashville, price = $250 each.

For me and the wife, we drove to Nashville and saved a cool $1000.

I will hesitate to ever fly out of Memphis again as long as the rate structure is so out of balance. I was born at night, but not last night.
06-03-2013 01:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.