Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Phillip Sims no longer at UVa
Bookmark and Share
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
reason: academics.

do we want a guy who left Alabama because of competition and flunked out of UVa?

He was the #1 ranked QB out of HS, for whatever that's worth.
05-31-2013 10:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMUDDOG Offline
Bench Warmer

RE: OT: Phillip Sims no longer at UVa
If he flunked out of UVa, he would probably flunk out of JMU too, lol.
05-31-2013 10:20 AM
olderduke Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
(05-31-2013 10:15 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  reason: academics.

do we want a guy who left Alabama because of competition and flunked out of UVa?

Stevie Wonder just called to say that even he saw this coming....
05-31-2013 10:52 AM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

how timely, considering the thread about 757 students not taking academics as seriously as other parts of Virginia.
05-31-2013 10:53 AM
JMU Online
All American

I Root For: JMU
Yes, we want him. Now.
05-31-2013 11:24 AM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

No we do not want him. He can live on his Glory days at Oscar Smiff high school and think about opportunities wasted.
I suspect he is a prime candidate to go back home, take some garbage community college classes and then enroll at ODU.
05-31-2013 11:27 AM
Advertisement

JMU Online
All American

^ screw that. I would be all over seeing if he is able to transfer to JMU.
05-31-2013 11:30 AM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(05-31-2013 10:15 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  reason: academics.

#2 Pro Style 2010:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiti...Sims-63902
http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiti...w23m5GPZB4
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8...id=3879672
05-31-2013 11:55 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-31-2013 11:27 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  No we do not want him. He can live on his Glory days at Oscar Smiff high school and think about opportunities wasted.
I suspect he is a prime candidate to go back home, take some garbage community college classes and then enroll at ODU.

That just seems repetitive to transfer from one CC to another.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2013 12:06 PM by Potomac.)
05-31-2013 11:58 AM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

Lost a battle with AJ McCarran for starting job at Bama so transfers to UVGay. Split time at starter with Rocco last season. Now Rocco has transferred to UR (who now has 2 former UVGay QBs on their roster).
http://hamptonroads.com/2013/05/qb-phill...r-1-season
05-31-2013 12:05 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

2 seasons eligibility left...
05-31-2013 12:05 PM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
I'll repeat what I said on the ODU board: He has to go somewhere far away from peering eyes that remember him from Oscar Smith and wonder where it all went wrong. There's almost no way, between his departure from Alabama and now Virginia, that he can go to any FCS program in this state and not have the spectre of expectations unfulfilled surrounding him. He needs a fresh start where people aren't asking why the stud high school kid isn't a big-time star already. I don't know who has what or what needs they have, but to me he should go to a decent FCS program that needs a QB somewhere out west, an Eastern Washington or South Dakota State kind of program. He definitely shouldn't go to NSU/Hampton/William and Mary/Richmond, he'd never start at ODU unless Heinicke gets hurt, and I don't see JMU being a good fit for either party.
05-31-2013 01:53 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
(05-31-2013 01:53 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  I'll repeat what I said on the ODU board: He has to go somewhere far away from peering eyes that remember him from Oscar Smith and wonder where it all went wrong. There's almost no way, between his departure from Alabama and now Virginia, that he can go to any FCS program in this state and not have the spectre of expectations unfulfilled surrounding him. He needs a fresh start where people aren't asking why the stud high school kid isn't a big-time star already. I don't know who has what or what needs they have, but to me he should go to a decent FCS program that needs a QB somewhere out west, an Eastern Washington or South Dakota State kind of program. He definitely shouldn't go to NSU/Hampton/William and Mary/Richmond, he'd never start at ODU unless Heinicke gets hurt, and I don't see JMU being a good fit for either party.

He isn't coming to JMU. Never get past admissions.

He can't go ANYWHERE and not have a legacy. When you are the #1 QB recruit, C'est la vie.
05-31-2013 01:58 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(05-31-2013 01:58 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  
(05-31-2013 01:53 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  I'll repeat what I said on the ODU board: He has to go somewhere far away from peering eyes that remember him from Oscar Smith and wonder where it all went wrong. There's almost no way, between his departure from Alabama and now Virginia, that he can go to any FCS program in this state and not have the spectre of expectations unfulfilled surrounding him. He needs a fresh start where people aren't asking why the stud high school kid isn't a big-time star already. I don't know who has what or what needs they have, but to me he should go to a decent FCS program that needs a QB somewhere out west, an Eastern Washington or South Dakota State kind of program. He definitely shouldn't go to NSU/Hampton/William and Mary/Richmond, he'd never start at ODU unless Heinicke gets hurt, and I don't see JMU being a good fit for either party.

He can't go ANYWHERE and not have a legacy. When you are the #1 QB recruit, C'est la vie.

He'll always have a legacy, but if he stays local/regional, it'll be compounded by the fans who remember him from his high school days, one of the most highly touted players in Hampton Roads history, and now here he is, slinging the ball for some second-level team after washing out at Bama and Virginia. There'll be a lot more pressure if he goes to a state school than he would a West Coast or Midwest school.

I'm suprised at Mike London's bluntness, in a press release no less. Not quite as harsh as ODU in their firing of Blaine Taylor, but still, usually coaches are more subtle about a former player's academic failings. Wonder what else was going on there ...
05-31-2013 02:18 PM
jmusuperfan Offline
All American

05-31-2013 02:48 PM
JMUDukes1750 Offline
Special Teams

Pretty sure he'd have to sit out a year even if he transferred down due to being academically ineligible.

Even so, don't want him. He had a terrible work ethic, with poor leadership abilities.... he entered UVA's spring game 3rd on the depth chart even though he had the most playing time of all the QB's on the roster.
05-31-2013 04:38 PM
Advertisement

BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(05-31-2013 01:58 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  

05-31-2013 05:50 PM
olderduke Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
He'll end up at NSU or HU and be a home-town hero for one of those schools. The rest of the world will forget his name. Harsh? Sure, but this isn't hard to foretell.
05-31-2013 10:28 PM
JMUDuke25 Offline
All American

(05-31-2013 10:28 PM)olderduke Wrote:  He'll end up at NSU or HU and be a home-town hero for one of those schools. The rest of the world will forget his name. Harsh? Sure, but this isn't hard to foretell.

Liberty
06-01-2013 07:50 PM
jmusuperfan Offline
All American

(06-01-2013 07:50 PM)JMUDuke25 Wrote:  
(05-31-2013 10:28 PM)olderduke Wrote:  He'll end up at NSU or HU and be a home-town hero for one of those schools. The rest of the world will forget his name. Harsh? Sure, but this isn't hard to foretell.

Liberty

I could see that too
06-02-2013 10:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.