UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Champlin: UAB softball coach Townsend, baseball coach Shoop to get new contracts
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Champlin: UAB softball coach Townsend, baseball coach Shoop to get new contracts
UAB softball coach Marla Townsend, baseball coach Brian Shoop set for contract extensions
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/...towns.html
05-28-2013 09:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ICB Offline
Heisman

RE: Champlin: UAB softball coach Townsend, baseball coach Shoop to get new contracts
What is the maximum extension allowed under state law? 3 Years for Coach Townsend seem kinda short for what she has been able to accomplish. Just my opinion.
05-28-2013 10:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

RE: Champlin: UAB softball coach Townsend, baseball coach Shoop to get new contracts
Saban's contract got extended 2 years through 2019.

With that said, he already had to have a contract in place from 2013 - 2017 via either the initial contract or the extension.

I think the base package should be upgraded as well as the incentives.
05-28-2013 10:29 AM
GreenHornet33 Offline
All American

I Root For: Jackson State Tigers
good move by the Blazers!01-ncaabbs
05-28-2013 01:47 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Townsend has worked very hard for a very long time, and we're now seeing some of the fruits of that effort.

I hope we take care of her.
05-28-2013 01:57 PM
Advertisement

KevMo4UAB Online
#FreeUAB

(05-28-2013 01:57 PM)Smaug Wrote:  Townsend has worked very hard for a very long time, and we're now seeing some of the fruits of that effort.

I hope we take care of her.

I totally agree. If we don't, I'm sure there are several schools that would love to have her as their coach.
05-28-2013 02:12 PM
BlazeN'Bham Offline
All American

Is anyone else unimpressed with Shoop?
05-28-2013 03:44 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I'm not too down on him. He had a trainwreck of injuries this year.
05-28-2013 03:48 PM
UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Shoop is a class act; someone you want representing UAB. Furthermore, he took the program to the NCAAs last season and will be returning a good (and hopefully healthy) core of players to start a new chapter of UAB baseball at Regions Field. I will be interested to see how Regions Field aids recruiting gown the road.
05-28-2013 10:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(05-28-2013 03:44 PM)BlazeNBham Wrote:  Is anyone else unimpressed with Shoop?

I am. Even though UAB went to the tournament last season, they finished 7th in a 9 team C-USA. This year they finished 8th and barely squeaked into the conference tournament. I know nothing about the guy outside of what the results on the field are, but based on those, extending his contract through 2016 seems a bit overzealous at this point.
05-29-2013 08:13 AM
backyardblazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Blazers
(05-29-2013 08:13 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  
(05-28-2013 03:44 PM)BlazeNBham Wrote:  Is anyone else unimpressed with Shoop?

I am. Even though UAB went to the tournament last season, they finished 7th in a 9 team C-USA. This year they finished 8th and barely squeaked into the conference tournament. I know nothing about the guy outside of what the results on the field are, but based on those, extending his contract through 2016 seems a bit overzealous at this point.

Coach Shoop is a great man and a good coach. He won at BSC, so there is no reason why he can't win here.

But don't worry about that new contract extension, as UAB Athletics always drags their feet when it comes to rewarding good jobs. (Takes about a year to get these things done, as they are never "in the budget".)

Marla should have been signed to an extension last year, but no. I think Marla is doing the best job of any of the Blazer coaches and I wouldn't be surprised if other schools don't make a heavy play to lure her away. Be shocked if she took another school's offer (though it would mean big $$$$) but would be even more shocked if a few didn't try to hire her away.

UAB needs to step up now.
05-29-2013 11:06 AM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
Coach Davis won at Indiana, so there is no reason why he couldn't win at UAB. Right?

That logic is fine and well, but you either get the job done or you don't. I don't care for rewarding a coach with an extension for doing a mediocre job.

As far as Marla goes, 100% agree. That extension could have been a little longer if she wanted it in my opinion. She has done a fantastic job, and deserves to be rewarded.
05-29-2013 11:40 AM
backyardblazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Blazers
(05-29-2013 11:40 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  Coach Davis won at Indiana, so there is no reason why he couldn't win at UAB. Right?

That logic is fine and well, but you either get the job done or you don't. I don't care for rewarding a coach with an extension for doing a mediocre job.

As far as Marla goes, 100% agree. That extension could have been a little longer if she wanted it in my opinion. She has done a fantastic job, and deserves to be rewarded.

Mike Davis was 122-73 at UAB, so I guess he won here, as well as Indiana. (But I guess you could say he didn't get the job done.)
05-29-2013 03:38 PM
Advertisement

demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
Coach Shoop is a great guy.

Still, I don't know if I'd extend his contract that far....

That having been said, firing Shoop right as we are about to start playing some games at Regions Field is like firing your gourmet chef who was cooking from a microwave just before the master kitchen is finished.

He deserves to coach at that venue. How long with the same result? I don't know.
05-29-2013 03:40 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
Our AD discusses the season with each coach at the end of each year's season and goes over the positives and the negatives in determining where the program is headed. I trust our AD to judge the coach of each program and to decide whether to extend their contract and by how much along with pay levels. He seems to have proven that he can correctly gauge what makes the potential for each coach's success so far.

Baseball coaches have the additional stress of figuring out how to divide up scholarships among a team which FB and BB coaches don't have to do. He may also have to compete against some other public university teams that can add players on "Hope-type scholarships" he can't match in Alabama. These don't count against a team's total scholarships in baseball as they do in BB or FB.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2013 04:10 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
05-29-2013 04:09 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(05-29-2013 04:09 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  I trust our AD to judge the coach of each program and to decide whether to extend their contract and by how much along with pay levels. He seems to have proven that he can correctly gauge what makes the potential for each coach's success so far.

Except...

[Image: 2zodq38.png]
05-29-2013 08:37 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(05-29-2013 08:37 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  
(05-29-2013 04:09 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  I trust our AD to judge the coach of each program and to decide whether to extend their contract and by how much along with pay levels. He seems to have proven that he can correctly gauge what makes the potential for each coach's success so far.

Except...

[Image: 2zodq38.png]

The dateline on that is April, 2008 and I doubt very many impartial fans thought at the time that it would end the way it did almost 4 years later. Davis and Callaway both always seemed to be on the cusp of success but never got to "the Promised Land" (Callaway never got even close). I think we are all more comfortable with the present staffs in all our sports.
05-29-2013 09:32 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
I thought it would end the way it did the day Davis was hired. Was never a fan of that hire.
05-29-2013 09:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.