Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

El Paso may not carry two Miner road games
Bookmark and Share
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
El Paso may not carry two Miner road games
The 2013 UTEP football schedule features five nationally televised games, but some El Pasoans will have trouble viewing two of them. The Miners play at Rice on October 26th and at North Texas on November 9th. Both games will be carried on Comcast Sports South, which is not available to cable or satellite subscribers in the El Paso area.

http://krod.com/utep-football-will-have-...n-el-paso/
05-27-2013 02:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mistabinks Offline
Glory Road Resident

I Root For: UTEP Miners
RE: El Paso may not carry two Miner road games
We have had this problem every year since we joined CUSA.
05-27-2013 02:14 PM
RUNVSFD MINER Offline
The voice in your head...See?

I Root For: UTEP
Road Trip
05-27-2013 08:15 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I remember back in the day when our local guys would cover every road game. This shouldn't be happening.
05-28-2013 09:27 AM
randaddyminer Offline
Banned

I Root For: UTEP miners
(05-28-2013 09:27 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  I remember back in the day when our local guys would cover every road game. This shouldn't be happening.

blame cusa for that. Up until the last TV contract negotiation, every away game was televised locally, the only game not televised was that byu game in provo because of the mountain west network.
05-28-2013 02:22 PM
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

(05-28-2013 02:22 PM)randaddyminer Wrote:  
(05-28-2013 09:27 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  I remember back in the day when our local guys would cover every road game. This shouldn't be happening.

blame cusa for that. Up until the last TV contract negotiation, every away game was televised locally, the only game not televised was that byu game in provo because of the mountain west network.

Are you seriously going to give me another reason to hate CUSA?
05-29-2013 12:18 AM
mistabinks Offline
Glory Road Resident

I'll slightly disagree on this one. I don't completely blame CUSA for this. A few of the local channels have stated they simply can't afford to broadcast Miner road games. It is too expensive. Also, they are no longer allowed to pre-emp their network programming like they could in the 80's.
05-29-2013 09:49 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I don't buy the story that it is too expensive to broadcast Miner games. How did they do it in the past?

If they can send a crew out for the Red River Shootout or the High School State Track meet, they should be able to find money to broadcast a couple of Miner Games.
05-30-2013 12:42 AM
mistabinks Offline
Glory Road Resident

(05-30-2013 12:42 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  I don't buy the story that it is too expensive to broadcast Miner games. How did they do it in the past?

Prove it otherwise. Your gut instinct doesn't prove a thing.

(05-30-2013 12:42 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  If they can send a crew out for the Red River Shootout or the High School State Track meet, they should be able to find money to broadcast a couple of Miner Games.

Legit question. Who are "they" and what channel were these events broadcast on? Duke Keith has explained many times why it is so expensive and difficult to broadcast Miner games.

That would be an actual explanation. Not just saying "I don't buy that..."
05-30-2013 08:39 AM
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

Mistabinks

Wow. So now I have to prove my opinions to you. Guess what. I don't believe that Mickey Mouse actually exists. Am I somehow required to prove that to you as well?

Give me a break. Are you for real?

I think that it's a cop out that stations say it's too expensive to broadcast UTEP games. That's my opinion. I don't have to prove it to you or anyone else.

I don't pay attention to which channels broadcast what. All I know is that on a regular basis you have channels that send reporters to cover the Cowboys, Texas Longhorns and High School football throughout the state but apparently there isn't any money to cover UTEP Miners. If you are okay with that. Fine. I'm just saying.
05-31-2013 01:09 AM
mistabinks Offline
Glory Road Resident

Your last post is a cop out. I was going to, once again, shred your post apart but what would be the point? You just said you don't have to provide proof to your statements. That says everything about your credibility right there. You have none.
05-31-2013 04:17 PM
zyxwvutsru Offline
Cubicle Warrior

I Root For: UTEP
(05-31-2013 01:09 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  Mistabinks

Wow. So now I have to prove my opinions to you. Guess what. I don't believe that Mickey Mouse actually exists. Am I somehow required to prove that to you as well?

I think that it's a cop out that stations say it's too expensive to broadcast UTEP games. That's my opinion. I don't have to prove it to you or anyone else.

I don't pay attention to which channels broadcast what. All I know is that on a regular basis you have channels that send reporters to cover the Cowboys, Texas Longhorns and High School football throughout the state but apparently there isn't any money to cover UTEP Miners. If you are okay with that. Fine. I'm just saying.

The bolded and italicized is not in the same league as the cost of producing and airing a 4 hour sports event. Sending one guy, maybe two, to do a remote report at a Cowboys game is so much less than just securing the 3rd party rights to air a UTEP road game.

You stick by your opinion though. You have every right to defend it. 04-cheers
05-31-2013 05:00 PM
randaddyminer Offline
Banned

I'm sure that no station in El Paso covers UT austin, not even espn 600 covers the longhorns in El Paso. I may be wrong, but I heard the the third tier rights for broadcasting a cusa game is $100,000.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2013 06:01 PM by randaddyminer.)
05-31-2013 06:01 PM
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

(05-31-2013 04:17 PM)mistabinks Wrote:  Your last post is a cop out. I was going to, once again, shred your post apart but what would be the point? You just said you don't have to provide proof to your statements. That says everything about your credibility right there. You have none.

Let me know when you figure out the difference between fact and opinion.
05-31-2013 11:34 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(05-31-2013 05:00 PM)zyxwvutsru Wrote:  
(05-31-2013 01:09 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  Mistabinks

The bolded and italicized is not in the same league as the cost of producing and airing a 4 hour sports event. Sending one guy, maybe two, to do a remote report at a Cowboys game is so much less than just securing the 3rd party rights to air a UTEP road game.

You stick by your opinion though. You have every right to defend it. 04-cheers

You are probably right.

I'm simply explaining how frustrating it is that we can't even get all of UTEP's away games in this day and age.
05-31-2013 11:35 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(05-31-2013 06:01 PM)randaddyminer Wrote:  I'm sure that no station in El Paso covers UT austin, not even espn 600 covers the longhorns in El Paso. I may be wrong, but I heard the the third tier rights for broadcasting a cusa game is $100,000.

Actually, as recently as two years ago, 600 carried Longhorns basketball and 1380 covered Texas Tech basketball.
05-31-2013 11:36 PM
mistabinks Offline
Glory Road Resident

(05-31-2013 11:34 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(05-31-2013 04:17 PM)mistabinks Wrote:  Your last post is a cop out. I was going to, once again, shred your post apart but what would be the point? You just said you don't have to provide proof to your statements. That says everything about your credibility right there. You have none.

Let me know when you figure out the difference between fact and opinion.

Bold statement. What makes you think I don't know the difference? I have posted actual facts and details in my posts. I have asked specific questions to you that have gone unanswered. I have asked for sources to the points you have tried (and failed) to make. You are the one that got mad like a 3 year old and said you didn't have to back up your statements. Don't get me wrong. I think you are great for the board. When you don't post this forum is awfully quiet. You are the one that said you like dialogue and you like to be the alternative voice. I am cool with that. You still have to support your claims. No free passes. Not even when trolling.
06-01-2013 12:24 AM
Advertisement

mistabinks Offline
Glory Road Resident

(05-31-2013 11:36 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(05-31-2013 06:01 PM)randaddyminer Wrote:  I'm sure that no station in El Paso covers UT austin, not even espn 600 covers the longhorns in El Paso. I may be wrong, but I heard the the third tier rights for broadcasting a cusa game is $100,000.

Actually, as recently as two years ago, 600 carried Longhorns basketball and 1380 covered Texas Tech basketball.

There is a huge difference between a radio station airing a game and a local television producing and airing a game. 600 simply had to pay for the local rights to air those games. A TV station would have to pay for the rights, pay for the production, pay penalties for pre-empting scheduled programming etc...

Also, CBS, ABC, and NBC no longer allow their affiliates to pre-empt broadcast programming. I am not sure if Fox or the CW have those same rules.
06-01-2013 12:27 AM
randaddyminer Offline
Banned

no they didn't, 600 being an espn station advertised the longhorn network, they never carried a game. TT was actually forced on 600, not 1380 and the plan was killed with in a couple months.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2013 12:50 AM by randaddyminer.)
06-01-2013 12:47 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(06-01-2013 12:47 AM)randaddyminer Wrote:  

no they didn't, 600 being an espn station advertised the longhorn network, they never carried a game. TT was actually forced on 600, not 1380 and the plan was killed with in a couple months.

Well I don't know the specifics of it all. Perhap "covered" wasn't the right word but they did "carry" the games.

I know because I remember listening to them every now and again.
06-01-2013 10:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.