Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Lots of new bowl games in the works
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
Lots of new bowl games in the works
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...boca-raton

In addition to the American talking about starting their own bowl game, CUSA and others are looking in the same manner.

CUSA is looking to start a game in Boca Raton, FL at FAU's stadium.

The Cure Bowl is making another run at hosting a bowl game at UCF's stadium in Orlando.

A bowl could be started in Little Rock for the SBC and MAC.

The American could be starting their own game at Marlins Park.

But at some point, there will be a breaking point. One more bowl is needed to replace the loss of the direct selections for the NCG, and the addition of FCS teams means probably one more bowl could be added, but I can't see much more than that.
05-24-2013 08:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
RE: Lots of new bowl games in the works
Too many bowls...I understand the Go5 conferences are trying to make some cash too, but this is getting out of control. Unless some of the current bowls disappear, there won't be enough bowl eligible teams.
05-24-2013 08:41 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(05-24-2013 08:41 PM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  Too many bowls...I understand the Go5 conferences are trying to make some cash too, but this is getting out of control. Unless some of the current bowls disappear, there won't be enough bowl eligible teams.

I know a few bowl eligible teams sat home last year (including one 9-3 school). FBS is jumping from 120 schools to 126 schools over the next few years, so there is every expectation that enough bowl eligible teams should be produced. Even if there are not--a waiver for a few teams could be issued to fill in for a bowl or two in a pinch.
05-24-2013 09:02 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
Don't add any more bowls! It's totally moronic to have more than 50% of teams going to a bowl game! Just stop letting AQ conference send their 9th-10th place teams to a bowl!!!

Here's are 3 things the NCAA needs to do to fix the bowl system and reduce the # of bowls:

1.) Limit the # of primary bowl agreements a conf can sign to half the number of teams in their conference, plus 1 more. Examples: The P1G has 14 teams - 7 teams is half, then +1, for a max of 8 primary agreements. PAC12 has 12 teams - 6 teams is half, then +1, for a max of 7 primary agreements.

Of course conferences like the MAC, SBC, CUSA, AAC won't have the maximum # of primary agreements. Figuring that they would sign 3-4 primary agreements, I figured that there would be around 30 bowls then (still too many bowls, but not as bad as it is now with 70 teams bowling, with only 120 in FBS)

2.) All 8+ win teams must be offered a bowl bid before any 7 or 6 win teams are offered. Then, all 7 win teams must be offered before any 6 win teams are.

3.) Get rid of the ludicrous ticket requirements the bowls have. Why should teams have to buy 10k+ tickets at face value (usually $50, $75, $100+), when there are thousands of tickets on the secondary market for like a quarter of face value? The only reason they have these obnoxious ticket requirements is so that the bowl big wigs can make their 6 figure salary for barely doing any work all year long – unless you count golfing, going on cruises, boozing and schooming conf commissioners as ‘working’

The NCAA better not approve all these new bowls (Detroit, Orlando, LA, Little Rock, AAC/SoFLA) unless some bowls go away.
05-24-2013 09:28 PM
Runner Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UTSA
San Antonio is toying with ideal of starting a second bowl game. I think its very possible if so it could be a C-USA vs Big12 match up.
05-24-2013 09:38 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Is there a requirement for a conference tie in that actually shows some probability that it can place a team in a bowl?
05-24-2013 09:38 PM
Advertisement

OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
I don't see a problem with there being "too many" bowls. Not every team, or program, can challenge for the top on a consistent, or even periodic, basis.

Bowl games benefit the schools and players, plus bring revenue to cities, stadiums, and TV networks.
05-24-2013 09:46 PM
BirdstheWord Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ISU
Good, we don't have enough as it is. I won't be happy until every team with at least a 3-9 record can play in one.
05-24-2013 10:06 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
Guys jokes aside, there have been plenty of teams with 7-5 records or better sitting at home. If there was a such thing as to much football you guys would not be on this message board in freaking May.

Not to mention that the game is changing. Games vs Go5 members are no longer easy wins most the time.
05-24-2013 10:15 PM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
This is like T-Ball where everyone gets a trophy.
05-24-2013 10:15 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
(05-24-2013 10:15 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  Guys jokes aside, there have been plenty of teams with 7-5 records or better sitting at home. If there was a such thing as to much football you guys would not be on this message board in freaking May.

Not to mention that the game is changing. Games vs Go5 members are no longer easy wins most the time.

And that's why the P5 are trying to not schedule Go5 schools anymore (or atleast not the good Go5 schools), and the P5 are trying to get rid of every single P5 vs. Go5 bowl game. The P5 know that the competitive difference is getting smaller and smaller, and they don't like it. They'll do whatever they can to keep alive the perception that the P5 is wayyy ahead of the Go5
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2013 10:21 PM by MidnightBlueGold.)
05-24-2013 10:21 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
I look forward to the day of an 0-11 FCS team in bowl game.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2013 10:48 PM by C2__.)
05-24-2013 10:44 PM
mj4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: unc
(05-24-2013 10:21 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  
(05-24-2013 10:15 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  Guys jokes aside, there have been plenty of teams with 7-5 records or better sitting at home. If there was a such thing as to much football you guys would not be on this message board in freaking May.

And that's why the P5 are trying to not schedule Go5 schools anymore (or atleast not the good Go5 schools), and the P5 are trying to get rid of every single P5 vs. Go5 bowl game. The P5 know that the competitive difference is getting smaller and smaller, and they don't like it. They'll do whatever they can to keep alive the perception that the P5 is wayyy ahead of the Go5

it's not that the P5 don't want to play Go5 schools per se, it's just doesn't make since dollar wise. the P5 conferences are basically taking over the bowl system(or at least the ones that pay well) they control the top bowls &this is just filtering down into the secondary bowls
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2013 11:24 PM by mj4life.)
05-24-2013 11:18 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(05-24-2013 10:44 PM)Caltex2 Wrote:  I look forward to the day of an 0-11 FCS team in bowl game.

It'll be Notre Dame.
05-24-2013 11:18 PM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT

Data doesn't back that up. Sure you hear a lot about the upsets and the occasional Boise type team but for the most part the power 5 vs Go5 are as lopsided as Gof5 vs FCS.

I browsed through to get a rough estimate of the numbers. I counted the teams in their future conferences for out of conference games to determine Go5 and P5 and ignored BE conference games. BYU wasn't counted for or against. The numbers may be slightly off just because it was a quick tally.

Gang of 5 vs FCS (38-8) .82
Northern Arizona over UNLV
McNeese St over MTSU
East Washington over Idaho
Cal Poly over Wyoming
Stoney Brook over Army
NDSU over CSU
Illinois State over EMU
UT Martin over Memphis

Power 5 vs FCS (53-2) .96
Youngstown over Pitt
Sac State over Colorado

Power 5 vs Gang of 5 (90-16) .78
Kent St over Rutgers
LA Tech over Illinois
Ohio over Penn State
UConn over Maryland
MTSU over GT
LA Tech over UVA
Cincy over VT
Army over BC
Nevada over Cal
Fresno St over Colorado
CSU over Colorado
Utah State over Utah
No Ill over Kansas
Rice over Kansas
ULM over Arkansas
WKU over UK

The bowls I did separately: Power 5 over Go5 3-2 with Cincy over Duke and Tulsa over Iowa State
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2013 01:05 AM by 4x4hokies.)
05-24-2013 11:23 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(05-24-2013 10:06 PM)BirdstheWord Wrote:  Good, we don't have enough as it is. I won't be happy until every team with at least a 3-9 record can play in one.

We can worry about that when 8-4 teams don't sit at home because 6-6 craptastic teams like Iowa State get bowl bids. Or even worse, a 6-7 UCLA team.

As things stand now, there are multiple teams with winning records that don't go bowling.

The NCAA should require that every new bowl sign a 10 year contract with a conference that has had an average of 1 team per year bowl eligible that did not get a bid. Bowls who have to take teams with losing records should be subject to decertification.
05-24-2013 11:30 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(05-24-2013 08:41 PM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  Too many bowls...I understand the Go5 conferences are trying to make some cash too, but this is getting out of control. Unless some of the current bowls disappear, there won't be enough bowl eligible teams.

I agree. The Go5 would be way ahead of the game to go ahead and develop their own playoff structure and set the games at the home fields of their higher seeds until the final game and then make it a bowl if they wish. The television would still be interested and they would keep all of the proceeds to split without the costs.
05-25-2013 12:15 AM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
(05-24-2013 11:30 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  As things stand now, there are multiple teams with winning records that don't go bowling.

I can think of 2 from last year (La Tech (9-3), MTSU (8-4)).... were there many others?
05-25-2013 12:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HawaiiMongoose Online
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(05-25-2013 12:15 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

I agree. The Go5 would be way ahead of the game to go ahead and develop their own playoff structure and set the games at the home fields of their higher seeds until the final game and then make it a bowl if they wish. The television would still be interested and they would keep all of the proceeds to split without the costs.

Recreating the FCS playoffs would be the kiss of death for Go5 football. When the CFP is expanded from four to eight teams -- and I think this will happen sooner than most folks expect -- the Go5 want a seat at the table, the opportunity to compete for a real title, a path to the championship of college football at the highest level. They have shown their best teams can compete at that level, and I seriously hope they will not settle for less.
05-25-2013 12:44 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(05-25-2013 12:15 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

I don't agree. What makes it interesting is finding a single national champion. Now what might be truly interesting is a 12 team playoff where every conference champion gets in and there are 5 wild cards. What would have to occurr for that to happen?

Well, there would have to be a few rule changes and a few cuts. First, FBS gets cut to 120 teams. Six teams are out.

Second, every 5 P-5 conference goes to 16. That's 80 schools.

Now, the remaining mid majors are grouped into a 20 team eastern conference and a 20 team western conference. Thats the other 40 schools to get to 120. These mid-major confernces will be divided into 2 divisions but will only have to play 6 games within thier division (requires a rule change) and 3 games in the other division. The only requirement is the schedule must rotate continuously--so in the next year, your team would pick up the divisional schedule right where you left off and would play the 3 schools in the division it didn't play the year before prior to starting the rotation over.

The play-off would be 7 champions and 5 wild cards. Just 1 out of every 10 teams would make the playoff. Those 6-game winners not in the playoff would go to bowls. The playoff wildcards would be selected by a selection committee and the bracket would be seeded by the committee. The first rounds of the playoffs would be on campus.

That keeps virtually the entire current viewership of FBS intact and makes the entire season relevant (every conference championship is important and every game played might impact who the highest rated non-champion wildcards will be). Instead of one or two late season games with championship implications, you might have 10-20. That's huge.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2013 12:52 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-25-2013 12:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.