Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CUSA Conference Tournament Central (Baseball)
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
CUSA Conference Tournament Central (Baseball)
Thought I'd start a central thread for any general information, previews or score updates regarding the tournament.

For starters, here's the complete tournament schedule of games...
http://blog.chron.com/owls/2013/05/confe...chedule-2/

Here's the riceowls.com game notes for the week...
http://www.riceowls.com/sports/m-basebl/...13aab.html

For those not on Facebook, here's a special video created by Rice Athletics for the tourney-- pretty awe-inspiring if you ask me...
https://www.facebook.com/walter.greenber...=2&theater
Quote:Baseball Fans...we have a special treat for you! Here is the 2013 Rice Baseball intro video...get ready for the C-USA Baseball Championship, starting tomorrow at Reckling Park

And here's Kendall's very brief preview of the tourney...
http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View...ticle=8462
Quote:Conference USA

Where: Houston

Regular season champion: Rice

Bubble teams: Houston, East Carolina

Postseason picture: The Conference USA postseason picture has really changed over the past couple of weeks, and that's a good sign that crazy things could happen in Houston this week. Though Rice is a safe bet for a postseason bid, the league is likely to at least get a second bid, right now, with Houston leading the charge. The Cougars captured a series win over USM this past weekend and are now 58 in the RPI with a 35-20 overall record. If not the Cougars, perhaps someone like East Carolina could get back in the mix. The Pirates have played well down the stretch and have an RPI of 74 with a 30-24 overall record entering the week. The Pirates have a ton of work to do with a 2-11 record vs. RPI Top 50.
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2013 04:50 PM by waltgreenberg.)
05-21-2013 04:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
RE: CUSA Conference Tournament Central (Baseball)
The new server seems a wee bit slow, no?

Weather overnight wasn't horrible for the inner loop. Most of the rain stayed to the east and north. There is a 30-40 pct chance of rain during the day but so far it doesn't look too bad on radar. Today is the only day the rest of the week that has a significant rain threat.
05-22-2013 07:08 AM
grol Offline
Baseball Fan

Donators
(05-22-2013 07:08 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  The new server seems a wee bit slow, no?

Very slow this AM
05-22-2013 09:32 AM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(05-22-2013 09:32 AM)grol Wrote:  
(05-22-2013 07:08 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  The new server seems a wee bit slow, no?

Very slow this AM

Feels like me this morning.03-zzz
05-22-2013 09:49 AM
JMay Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice
Is there no video for the tournament?
05-22-2013 12:08 PM
CanadianOwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Leonard & Penny
(05-22-2013 12:08 PM)JMay Wrote:  Is there no video for the tournament?

http://www.conferenceusa.com/allaccess/
05-22-2013 12:29 PM
Advertisement

Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

Tulane defeats ECU 6-5 in Friday morning's 1st game.
05-24-2013 01:41 PM
elf owl Offline
All American

I Root For: Birds
I'm going to the UH-USM game in an hour. This should match Rice-Memphis in intensity. Somebody has to play us in the finals.
05-24-2013 01:45 PM
grol Offline
Baseball Fan

Donators
Upcoming game between UH and USM should determine winner of other pod, right? Since UH is a bubble team right now, a win is a must for them.
05-24-2013 01:48 PM
texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(05-24-2013 01:48 PM)grol Wrote:  Upcoming game between UH and USM should determine winner of other pod, right? Since UH is a bubble team right now, a win is a must for them.

I think these are the scenarios (correct me if I'm wrong):

If USM wins today, only one team (USM) can advance:
USM beats UH, ECU; outcome of prior UH-Tulane is irrelevant: USM advances at 3-0
USM beats UH, falls to ECU; outcome of prior UH-Tulane is irrelevant: USM, Winner of UH-Tulane tied at 2-1; USM advances on Head-to-Head

If UH wins today, any of three teams (USM, UH, Tulane) can advance:
UH beats USM, Tulane; outcome of subsequent USM-ECU is moot: UH advances at 3-0
UH beats USM, loses to Tulane; USM beats ECU: Tulane, USM, UH tied at 2-1 and USM advances on seeding
UH beats USM, loses to Tulane; ECU beats USM: Tulane, UH tied at 2-1 and Tulane advances on Head-to-Head

So if USM wins today, they're in. If UH wins today, then they must beat Tulane, otherwise either a 2-1 USM or Tulane goes on to play Sunday.

This also means, of course, that both Memphis and Rice should be rooting for UH today so that all three possible championship teams have to burn pitchers tomorrow in order to make it to Sunday.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2013 02:43 PM by texd.)
05-24-2013 02:31 PM
texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Cliff Notes version of the above:

To get to the finals (in order their level of control on the road to get there):
USM: Win today OR win tomorrow with UH losing tomorrow
UH: Win out
Tulane: Win tomorrow with UH winning today
05-24-2013 02:46 PM
Advertisement

loki_the_bubba Online
Heisman

(05-24-2013 02:31 PM)texd Wrote:  ...Rice should be rooting for UH today ...

I just can't.
05-24-2013 02:54 PM
grol Offline
Baseball Fan

Donators
UH-USM
Tied at 2 in the 5th
05-24-2013 04:22 PM
westsidewolf1989 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
USM scores two runs with two outs in the sixth and that's all they needed. 4-2 victory for the Golden Eagles and the pod system works its magic again, as USM has already clinched a spot in Sunday's championship game. Would imagine they hold Conor Fisk out to start Sunday?
05-24-2013 06:03 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(05-24-2013 06:03 PM)westsidewolf1989 Wrote:  USM scores two runs with two outs in the sixth and that's all they needed. 4-2 victory for the Golden Eagles and the pod system works its magic again, as USM has already clinched a spot in Sunday's championship game. Would imagine they hold Conor Fisk out to start Sunday?

I do suspect they'll go with their mid-week starters and second-tier relievers in tomorrow's meaningless game, but....given that USM's only hope of getting invited into the post-season would be to win the automatic bid with the conference championship on Sunday, I'd bet that Pierce will again be called upon to start, with Fisk the first out of the pen. Pierce only worked 4.2 innings and threw 82 pitches on Wednesday morning; meaning he would have had 3 1/2 days rest before the 1:00pm Sunday game. I think you have to roll with your ace in what would be a "must win" game for them.
05-24-2013 06:27 PM
eaglenjxn Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
(05-24-2013 06:27 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(05-24-2013 06:03 PM)westsidewolf1989 Wrote:  USM scores two runs with two outs in the sixth and that's all they needed. 4-2 victory for the Golden Eagles and the pod system works its magic again, as USM has already clinched a spot in Sunday's championship game. Would imagine they hold Conor Fisk out to start Sunday?

I do suspect they'll go with their mid-week starters and second-tier relievers in tomorrow's meaningless game, but....given that USM's only hope of getting invited into the post-season would be to win the automatic bid with the conference championship on Sunday, I'd bet that Pierce will again be called upon to start, with Fisk the first out of the pen. Pierce only worked 4.2 innings and threw 82 pitches on Wednesday morning; meaning he would have had 3 1/2 days rest before the 1:00pm Sunday game. I think you have to roll with your ace in what would be a "must win" game for them.

No one talking tourney on the big board so figured I'd check over here.

Pierce has really struggled four out of his last five starts.

That would include getting hit for five in five innings by UAB (granted, we were up 13-0), a game against ECU where he was not good at all but managed to avert disaster, getting ripped by SIU-Edwardsville after taking a line drive, a good but not dominant outing CG loss against UH, and then getting shelled by Tulane.

You'll see Fisk, no doubt. Pierce could come out of the pen, but honestly I'm not sure I wouldn't go with Myrick before him. This isn't like a Scott Copeland situation in 2010 where the guy was rolling. Pierce is tired, maybe hurt, and his control has been very, very off by his standards.

What'd you guys think about Schoenrock's decision against UAB? That had me wondering if he even knew the tiebreaker rules. They lose that game and it is over for them. I can see saving Schoenrock, but you have to at least throw Gunn. Or don't take Wills out after three innings. I would have loved to have seen that backfire on him.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2013 08:59 PM by eaglenjxn.)
05-24-2013 08:58 PM
Advertisement

Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
Tulane defeats UH, 3-2, in Saturday's middle game. Surely this obliterates the Coogs slim at-large hopes.
05-25-2013 06:02 PM
smackdaddy Offline
All American

(05-25-2013 06:02 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  Tulane defeats UH, 3-2, in Saturday's middle game. Surely this obliterates the Coogs slim at-large hopes.

Have to admit, I feel a little bad for UH. If we don't win the tourney title tomorrow versus USM, we are greatly indebted to UH for saving our conference championship streak. They rose to the occasion and took 2 of 3 from USM when we needed it. Without them, the streak would be over. So while they are a rival--and I gag at the academic cornerstone nonsense and their involvement in our realignment omission--they have my gratitude this season. Of course, if we win the tourney championship tomorrow, f-them. :)
05-25-2013 06:15 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-25-2013 06:15 PM)smackdaddy Wrote:  Have to admit, I feel a little bad for UH. If we don't win the tourney title tomorrow versus USM, we are greatly indebted to UH for saving our conference championship streak. They rose to the occasion and took 2 of 3 from USM when we needed it. Without them, the streak would be over. So while they are a rival--and I gag at the academic cornerstone nonsense and their involvement in our realignment omission--they have my gratitude this season.

Absolutely!! Thanks, Coogs.
05-25-2013 06:21 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-24-2013 08:58 PM)eaglenjxn Wrote:  You'll see Fisk, no doubt. Pierce could come out of the pen, but honestly I'm not sure I wouldn't go with Myrick before him.

Fisk started against ECU tonight. The Pirates scored two runs off him in T4 (HBP, HBP, 1B, BB, 1B) before a 4-6-3 DP ended the rally.

The Eagles put two on with two outs in B4 (HBP, 1B), but didn't score.
05-25-2013 08:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.