Attendance is down at a l ot of places and in many sports, pro and college
05-20-2013 07:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
RE: Big 10 Attendance Problems
Quote:So, how do you ask a fan to give up a Satuday on the couch in front of the flat screen to buy a ticket and take in the game live? Better video screens, reliable Wi-Fi, more accessible concession stands, better restrooms.

-Better video screens....Check!

-WI-FI? I've read all NFL teams are doing this so fans can keep up with their "Fantasy" teams.

Anybody know what kind of cost adding WI-FI to HS would be?
05-20-2013 08:07 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-20-2013 08:07 AM)thxjoenovak Wrote:  
Quote:So, how do you ask a fan to give up a Satuday on the couch in front of the flat screen to buy a ticket and take in the game live? Better video screens, reliable Wi-Fi, more accessible concession stands, better restrooms.

-WI-FI? I've read all NFL teams are doing this so fans can keep up with their "Fantasy" teams.

This is already approved and in motion. However coverage just about everywhere else is a higher priority than Huskie Stadium in its deployment.

It should be up by 2014 as that is the 2020 goal to have the campus 100% covered by then.

The ONLY sticking point is who to let in on this. This is really for the students but the stadium and Convo it would be nice for non-students to use.

I gave the suggestion that only season ticket holders be given the password to use the Wifi.
05-20-2013 08:13 AM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators

The bigger question is how much bandwidth would be available if, for example, 2000 people tried to log on at the same time at Huskie Stadium. Safe to say the WiFi network would be extremely slow.
05-20-2013 09:31 AM
Advertisement

thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

(05-20-2013 09:31 AM)huskiebob Wrote:  

The bigger question is how much bandwidth would be available if, for example, 2000 people tried to log on at the same time at Huskie Stadium. Safe to say the WiFi network would be extremely slow.

Right...little bigger than a "coffee shop". Well, good to hear it's in the plans as HJ pointed out as part of the "campus wide" innitative. I suppose that would be "student/NIU associate" access at least.
05-20-2013 10:00 AM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

Donators
(05-20-2013 10:00 AM)thxjoenovak Wrote:  
(05-20-2013 09:31 AM)huskiebob Wrote:  

Right...little bigger than a "coffee shop". Well, good to hear it's in the plans as HJ pointed out as part of the "campus wide" innitative. I suppose that would be "student/NIU associate" access at least.

I don't think there's a lot of demand for WiFi at Huskie Stadium. Most people that want internet access will have smartphones and won't need it.
05-20-2013 10:20 AM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(05-20-2013 10:20 AM)huskiebob Wrote:  I don't think there's a lot of demand for WiFi at Huskie Stadium. Most people that want internet access will have smartphones and won't need it.

It just amazes me that fans would need WiFi when they are at a game. It was considered a major pain when Korcek fought to get WiFi in the press box for the media to use, so I can't believe the university is going to make this a priority; especially since the fans should be able to watch the game in front of them without a burning need for WiFi. Skip WiFi access for fans and improve the sound system, videoboard, concessions, friendliness of ushers, parking, etc.; the things that will improve everyone's comfort first.
05-20-2013 10:51 AM
Advertisement

HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-20-2013 10:51 AM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(05-20-2013 10:20 AM)huskiebob Wrote:  I don't think there's a lot of demand for WiFi at Huskie Stadium. Most people that want internet access will have smartphones and won't need it.

It just amazes me that fans would need WiFi when they are at a game. It was considered a major pain when Korcek fought to get WiFi in the press box for the media to use, so I can't believe the university is going to make this a priority; especially since the fans should be able to watch the game in front of them without a burning need for WiFi. Skip WiFi access for fans and improve the sound system, videoboard, concessions, friendliness of ushers, parking, etc.; the things that will improve everyone's comfort first.

Likely this will just be for the students and faculty to access.
05-20-2013 11:23 AM
niu79 Offline
All American

I was at Eastern Illinois to watch my daughter in the state track championships over the weekend, and I swear I was able to connect to EIU's Wi-Fi from my seat in the stands.
05-20-2013 12:48 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-20-2013 12:48 PM)niu79 Wrote:  I was at Eastern Illinois to watch my daughter in the state track championships over the weekend, and I swear I was able to connect to EIU's Wi-Fi from my seat in the stands.

Guarantee that people are going to be saying stuff like this at the IHSA games this year.
05-20-2013 12:56 PM
Advertisement

NIU03 Offline
Bench Warmer

A number of US and international stadiums are moving towards the high-speed Ruckus Smart Wi-Fi. After a quick glance on the list of stadiums, I didn't notice any colleges, but still interesting that a lot of venues are moving towards this.

"We didn't have a Wi-Fi network at all before we deployed the Ruckus system, and it quickly became a fan favorite," said Dell Loy Hanson, vice chairman and alternate governor for Real Salt Lake, and the owner of Rio Tinto Stadium.

Ruckus Lands Major Stadium Deals
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2013 03:59 PM by NIU03.)
05-20-2013 03:59 PM
bikechuck Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-20-2013 10:51 AM)uiniu57 Wrote:  It just amazes me that fans would need WiFi when they are at a game. It was considered a major pain when Korcek fought to get WiFi in the press box for the media to use, so I can't believe the university is going to make this a priority; especially since the fans should be able to watch the game in front of them without a burning need for WiFi. Skip WiFi access for fans and improve the sound system, videoboard, concessions, friendliness of ushers, parking, etc.; the things that will improve everyone's comfort first.

It might increase attendance. My wife does not live and die with every play as I do and she would be more likely to attend sporting events with Wi Fi. There have to be others like her out there.
05-23-2013 10:24 AM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

I think pretty soon NIU should should take out an ad and market like this

SATURDAY, NOV. 3, HUSKIE STADIUM, DeKALB

2PM

*******FREE-WI-FI****************
GREEEEEEEEEEEEEAT CONSUSSIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
80 FOOT JUMBOTRON!!!!
!!!!!!!!!5000 WATT STATE OF THE ART SOUND SYSTEM PLAYING TODAY'S HITS!!!!!!
LIVE SCORES AND ADS....ALL AROUND THE SIDELINES ON THE STANDS
DID WE MENTION.........NEW JUMBTRON!!!!!AND FREE WI-FI SO YOU YOU CAN LISTEN TO MUSIC FOR A FEW HRS.

oh, and niu will be playing toledo.
and that's football.
05-23-2013 10:58 PM
Advertisement

randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

Bottom line it's cost vs. benefit, sproting event vs whatever.

People in Lincoln, NE have nothing else to do on a Saturday in Fall. In Ohio, they live football.

50 yrs ago+ HS games in Chicago would draw 70, 80...even over 100k at SF. A HIGH SCHOOL GAME. In a city that coudln't support 2 Pro football teams, and at times used to have problems filling the stands for one.

Things change, appetite change, society changes and what people think and are told are important and what and who to spend their money on.
05-23-2013 11:03 PM
BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

Donators
(05-23-2013 10:58 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  I think pretty soon NIU should should take out an ad and market like this

SATURDAY, NOV. 3, HUSKIE STADIUM, DeKALB

2PM

*******FREE-WI-FI****************
GREEEEEEEEEEEEEAT CONSUSSIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
80 FOOT JUMBOTRON!!!!
!!!!!!!!!5000 WATT STATE OF THE ART SOUND SYSTEM PLAYING TODAY'S HITS!!!!!!
LIVE SCORES AND ADS....ALL AROUND THE SIDELINES ON THE STANDS
DID WE MENTION.........NEW JUMBTRON!!!!!AND FREE WI-FI SO YOU YOU CAN LISTEN TO MUSIC FOR A FEW HRS.

oh, and niu will be playing toledo.
and that's football.
You start out wrong. Everyone knows that no college football is played at Huskie Stadium on a Saturday in November.
05-25-2013 04:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.