Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Perception from the suburbs
Bookmark and Share
cpawfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Perception from the suburbs
I was with a group of people (all adults 40+) earlier this evening and heard the following comments.

No one cares about UC football
I have no interest in going to the ghetto

It is going to take a long time to win hearts and minds in this area.

On the bright side, I got to tell some to$u fans that clearly that aren't very smart since it took two of them to spell Ohio.

05-19-2013 11:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Flying Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Who I wnt 2 win
RE: Perception from the suburbs
While I would like to have that demographic what matters in the long haul are those who are 30 and younger since they live longer and spread the word to their kids.

05-20-2013 05:32 AM
Vewb1 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Bearcats
(05-19-2013 11:53 PM)cpawfan Wrote:  I was with a group of people (all adults 40+) earlier this evening and heard the following comments.

No one cares about UC football
I have no interest in going to the ghetto

It is going to take a long time to win hearts and minds in this area.

On the bright side, I got to tell some to$u fans that clearly that aren't very smart since it took two of them to spell Ohio.

Clearly, some people in some areas have an attitude about Cincinnati and Cincinnati football. Sounds like West Chester to me. In terms of going to the ghetto, we all know it's no different at Ohio State and at Xavier (Evanston). Many of these universities are in poorer urban areas. Most of those people are not graduates, don't care about the school and use the negative talking points as much as they can. Most were also turned down by UC for either school or athletic scholarships or have interest in a neighboring university. My understanding is that Cincinnati has sold 12/18 million dollar suites in the proposed new Nippert stadium remodel so clearly there is interest, not only fan support, but corporate interest as well.

(This post was last modified: 05-20-2013 06:08 AM by Vewb1.)
05-20-2013 06:06 AM
beck Offline
All American

I Root For:
I'll bet these are the same people that won't go downtown because it is too this or too that. They eat at Friday's or Olive Garden and drink at Putter's or Shooter's or on a big night at Hooter's.
Stay in the burbs, it's all good, you are the past of Cincinnati.

05-20-2013 06:24 AM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
(05-20-2013 06:24 AM)beck Wrote:  I'll bet these are the same people that won't go downtown because it is too this or too that. They eat at Friday's or Olive Garden and drink at Putter's or Shooter's or on a big night at Hooter's.

Actually, these are the people with money to donate, who can afford to pay their kids' tuition, and who can afford tickets to sporting events. People who raise kids (future college students) are going to be in the suburbs.

These people matter, and they believe what they hear on WLW. I substitute teach, and kids tell me all the time how they know UC is in the middle of the ghetto and you get shot if you go far off campus. I have to tell them constantly how my daughter is at UC am I do not worry because the only people who get in trouble in Cincinnati are the ones buying and selling drugs and my daughter doesn't do that, so she is safe.

Perceptions matter, and they have to be fought.

And if I lived in Cincinnati, I would live in the suburbs. No way my kids would be going to Cincinnati public schools if I could choose one of the suburban districts instead.

05-20-2013 06:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

FWIW, I know 4 kids on the cul de sac where my parents live in West Chester who went to UC in the last couple of years.

05-20-2013 07:13 AM
Advertisement

uchoops Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(05-20-2013 06:39 AM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  
(05-20-2013 06:24 AM)beck Wrote:  I'll bet these are the same people that won't go downtown because it is too this or too that. They eat at Friday's or Olive Garden and drink at Putter's or Shooter's or on a big night at Hooter's.

Actually, these are the people with money to donate, who can afford to pay their kids' tuition, and who can afford tickets to sporting events. People who raise kids (future college students) are going to be in the suburbs.

These people matter, and they believe what they hear on WLW. I substitute teach, and kids tell me all the time how they know UC is in the middle of the ghetto and you get shot if you go far off campus. I have to tell them constantly how my daughter is at UC am I do not worry because the only people who get in trouble in Cincinnati are the ones buying and selling drugs and my daughter doesn't do that, so she is safe.

Perceptions matter, and they have to be fought.

And if I lived in Cincinnati, I would live in the suburbs. No way my kids would be going to Cincinnati public schools if I could choose one of the suburban districts instead.

UC has record applications for admission, record enrollment...so those parent are sending their kids to UC...perception is...at UC you get a Quality education..people who slam UC in the suburbs generally sre fans of other programs...and their fearful UC will be a threat to their program

05-20-2013 07:16 AM
George Kaplan Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Keep in mind, quite a lot of people prefer to remain ignorant and biased.

05-20-2013 07:19 AM
#41 Offline
Special Teams

I love this attitude -- it's all over the Enquirer's comment section on any political article relating to downtown:

"Stay in the suburbs and enjoy your [insert chain restaurant here]!"

"Cincinnati doesn't need dinosaurs like you!"

It's moronic drivel -- Cincinnati (and UC) absolutely needs the suburban crowd. They tend to be older, more financially stable, and with the disposable income to do things like donate, purchase tickets (or premium seats), and buy UC merchandise. They tend to have families, which means future UC alums.

They aren't "part of the past of Cincinnati" just because they've decided not to engage in some new-ubranistic liberal fantasy (where everyone lives crammed into downtown / urban population centers and depends on publicly subsidized mass-transit to get around) -- they're part of Cincinnati's present and future.

The goal should be to change attitudes and be welcoming to every potential fan or supporter. Change minds instead of smugly patting yourself on the back that you understand what's going on.

(This post was last modified: 05-20-2013 07:28 AM by #41.)
05-20-2013 07:27 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
I talk UC football with many people here in Anderson Twp, at the gym, drive thru, bars, whatever.
Lots of UC fans out this way.

05-20-2013 08:06 AM
indycat Offline
1st String

UC has made remarkable progress on so many fronts, yet there will always be people who speak in ignorance or remain envious because UC is outdistancing their own preferred institution. Being named one of the best campuses in the world probably didn't sit well with OSU folks. Total domination of Miami in football and basketball hasn't pleased their hard core loyalists either. I guess people fearful of sending their kids to Clifton should cross Ivy League schools such as Yale and Penn off their lists too. Both face challenges in their aging urban neighborhoods but rank among the finest schools in the world.

(This post was last modified: 05-20-2013 08:59 AM by indycat.)
05-20-2013 08:36 AM
Advertisement

subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
(05-20-2013 08:06 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  I talk UC football with many people here in Anderson Twp, at the gym, drive thru, bars, whatever.

I also found there to be a lot of UC fans in Anderson Twp when I lived out there.

05-20-2013 08:37 AM
Nellie Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats/NKU
Over here in Dearborn County, we are the bastard child of Indiana and the Cincinnati area...no one really claims us, but I can say...I have seen more and more UC apparel, flags...gear, in general, over this way the past few years...and since Tuberville was hired , the interest in the Lawrencbeurg area in UC athletics (football especially) has went up significantly. My family and I used to feel like the only Bearcat fans in the middle of hundreds of IU and UK fans, now, we are nearly in the majority.

05-20-2013 08:52 AM
dalbc Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UC & LBSU
(05-20-2013 08:06 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  I talk UC football with many people here in Anderson Twp, at the gym, drive thru, bars, whatever.

From a few years back: http://www.uc.edu/news/nr.aspx?id=10650

Top 10 Schools Represented by UC Freshmen Entering Baccalaureate Colleges

William Mason High School
Oak Hills High School
Fairfield High School
Lakota West High School
Elder High School
Sycamore High School
Walnut Hills High School
Colerain High School
Saint Xavier High School
Lakota East High School

Looks like we're doing pretty well with the suburban folks...

05-20-2013 08:56 AM
bctn8n Offline
1st String

I Root For: .
(05-20-2013 08:37 AM)subflea Wrote:  

I also found there to be a lot of UC fans in Anderson Twp when I lived out there.

I agree. I live in Mt Washington so i pass through Anderson Twp. a lot. Plenty of UC stuff to be seen. The street I live in MTW there is nothing but UC flags on houses.

05-20-2013 08:56 AM
indycat Offline
1st String

Lots of anecdotal evidence suggests that UC fandom has expanded well beyond the boundaries of Hamilton County, particularly since football has been so successful. Dearborn County has a growing fan base. Increasing (and visible) support in Northern Kentucky too where once only blue and white were seen. This rising tide lifts all boats--enrollment, ticket sales, donor participation and licensed merchandise to name a few.

05-20-2013 09:05 AM
Advertisement

bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
In West Chester it's alot better than when we moved here 4 years ago. There are alot of kids in our neighborhood who are attending UC. You still hear some negative comments, however those typically come from osu or x fans. I always display my C Paw flag proudly and inflate the 8 ft Bearcat in my front yard.

05-20-2013 09:18 AM
MickMack Offline
All American

I Root For: UC!
(05-20-2013 07:27 AM)#41 Wrote:  

I love this attitude -- it's all over the Enquirer's comment section on any political article relating to downtown:

"Stay in the suburbs and enjoy your [insert chain restaurant here]!"

"Cincinnati doesn't need dinosaurs like you!"

It's moronic drivel -- Cincinnati (and UC) absolutely needs the suburban crowd. They tend to be older, more financially stable, and with the disposable income to do things like donate, purchase tickets (or premium seats), and buy UC merchandise. They tend to have families, which means future UC alums.

They aren't "part of the past of Cincinnati" just because they've decided not to engage in some new-ubranistic liberal fantasy (where everyone lives crammed into downtown / urban population centers and depends on publicly subsidized mass-transit to get around) -- they're part of Cincinnati's present and future.

The goal should be to change attitudes and be welcoming to every potential fan or supporter. Change minds instead of smugly patting yourself on the back that you understand what's going on.

Couldn't agree more. I love downtown, and salute those who choose to go the urban living route, but I'm tired of the arrogance I see out of many urban dwellers. That lifestyle just isn't for everyone, and anyone who doesn't realize it is a moron. More importantly, urban bohemia isn't able to self-fund all the nice little projects going on downtown. There's a ton of people that commute in from the suburbs and fill the city's income tax coffers. 3CDC is heavily subsidized by big corporate sponsors like P&G. For those who aren't aware, its stock price is propped up in large part by moms in the suburbs. The Banks was formed through a public partnership that involved Hamilton County - all of Hamilton County, not just the neo-hipsters in OTR. I could go on and on, but at some point it's just pointing out the obvious.

05-20-2013 09:36 AM
FLIP Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Guess OP is hanging with wrong group of people. Those are the people that will always see the negative without actually having the first hand experience. I've taken some friends to games that swore they would never venture to Clifton in their lifetime, yet they had a blast and have become fans and ticket holders. IMO, the heck with them, their loss is someone elses gain.

Oh, drive around my Liberty Township sub division, you'll see more UC flags than OSU/UK/others combined. Burbs are doing just fine.

05-20-2013 11:37 AM
l6ozbud Offline
Water Engineer

I live in Liberty Township (West Chester-ish) and feel like the number of UC fans have increased exponentially over the last several years. I don't hear the negativity? I've gone to Putters/BW's etc. for UC basketball games and away football games and have found the UC crowds to be large, loud and very enthusiastic. I graduated from Lakota (well before the split) and most of my life long friends are Miami grads. They are all UC football fans (mostly because of me), but all recognize the strides the school has made academically and the Miami v. UC academic jokes are ancient history.

05-20-2013 11:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.