Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

big ten lacrosse
nuftw Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Northwestern
big ten lacrosse
https://twitter.com/thedailynu/status/33...6746664960

Just saw this. According to the Northwestern newspaper, Big Ten is starting a women's lacrosse conference, a sport for which they currently have only 5 teams counting MD and RU. They also have 5 men's lacrosse teams. 6 teams gets an autobid. Johns Hopskins anyone?
05-15-2013 08:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: big ten lacrosse
The ACC sponsor's lacrosse with only five members also. They even have a tournament.
05-15-2013 08:31 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(05-15-2013 08:31 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  The ACC sponsor's lacrosse with only five members also. They even have a tournament.

The best lacrosse league in the US of A.
05-15-2013 08:40 PM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
NW
UMD
Penn state
Ohio state
Mich
Rutgers

That's six
05-15-2013 09:17 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
Hence the need for an affiliate (Johns Hopkins) before there is a Big Ten Men's Lacrosse league.
05-15-2013 11:04 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(05-15-2013 09:17 PM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  NW
UMD
Penn state
Ohio state
Mich
Rutgers

That's six
Exactly. However, Northwestern does not have a Men's LAX program, which is why its only five for Men's.

I mean, was there ever any doubt that Women's Lacrosse would be a Big Ten sport? At least, in University Park, Columbus, Ann Arbor and North Chicago? Six Big Ten schools sponsor a Div1 sport, they are going to start a Big Ten competition in the sport ... just as Big Ten Ice Hockey finally got the go-ahead once Penn State started a Div1 Ice Hockey program.
05-16-2013 12:19 AM
Advertisement

AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(05-16-2013 12:19 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(05-15-2013 09:17 PM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  NW
UMD
Penn state
Ohio state
Mich
Rutgers

That's six
Exactly. However, Northwestern does not have a Men's LAX program, which is why its only five for Men's.

I mean, was there ever any doubt that Women's Lacrosse would be a Big Ten sport? At least, in University Park, Columbus, Ann Arbor and North Chicago? Six Big Ten schools sponsor a Div1 sport, they are going to start a Big Ten competition in the sport ... just as Big Ten Ice Hockey finally got the go-ahead once Penn State started a Div1 Ice Hockey program.

right, mens vs womens. I'm tracking.
05-16-2013 08:17 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-15-2013 08:08 PM)nuftw Wrote:  https://twitter.com/thedailynu/status/33...6746664960

Just saw this. According to the Northwestern newspaper, Big Ten is starting a women's lacrosse conference, a sport for which they currently have only 5 teams counting MD and RU. They also have 5 men's lacrosse teams. 6 teams gets an autobid. Johns Hopskins anyone?
Just to clarify the original confusion ~ the Big Ten has three women's Lacrosse programs now, and three men's programs ~ women's NW, OSU, Penn State, men's That School Up North, OSU, Penn State.

In 2013 it will have four women's programs, as That School Up North starts up its women's program (it started up with a one year delay versus their men's program, which started up immediately from their MCLA club without a transition year or two to build up rosters).

In 2014 if will have six women's programs and five men's, as Rutgers and Maryland joins.

And the Johns Hopkins report on conference affiliation has been delivered, but has not been published yet, leading some people to suspect it recommends conference affiliation, which would be the recommendation that would required Johns Hopkins to get its ducks in a row before the public release. If Johns Hopkins was going to stay independent, they could have put the report up already.
05-16-2013 10:53 AM
Raleighwood Pirate Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU
(05-15-2013 08:31 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  The ACC sponsor's lacrosse with only five members also. They even have a tournament.

The ACC used to only have 4 teams. Duke, Carolina, Virginia and Maryland.

I am looking forward to the new additions in Lacrosse and especially the ACC tournament. I try to catch some of games at Duke or Carolina when I get a chance.
05-16-2013 10:57 AM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(05-16-2013 10:53 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  And the Johns Hopkins report on conference affiliation has been delivered, but has not been published yet, leading some people to suspect it recommends conference affiliation, which would be the recommendation that would required Johns Hopkins to get its ducks in a row before the public release. If Johns Hopkins was going to stay independent, they could have put the report up already.

Based on prior history, if it leaks, it's the B1G, if not, the ACC.
05-16-2013 10:58 AM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
How long before the B1G sponsors women's hockey?
05-16-2013 11:38 AM
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
big ten lacrosse
(05-16-2013 11:38 AM)gosports1 Wrote:  How long before the B1G sponsors women's hockey?

Probably a while. Only Minnesota, Penn State, Ohio State, and Wisconsin have squads. I'm not sure how much of a priority it is for Michigan and Michigan State. There might be a better chance of 2 schools starting both Men's and Women's programs-I'd think Nebraska would be one, the other probably comes from the state of Illinois or Indiana.
05-16-2013 12:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-16-2013 11:38 AM)gosports1 Wrote:  How long before the B1G sponsors women's hockey?
Going on Men's Ice Hockey, twenty years, mebbe?
05-16-2013 12:59 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(05-16-2013 12:02 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  

Probably a while. Only Minnesota, Penn State, Ohio State, and Wisconsin have squads. I'm not sure how much of a priority it is for Michigan and Michigan State. There might be a better chance of 2 schools starting both Men's and Women's programs-I'd think Nebraska would be one, the other probably comes from the state of Illinois or Indiana.

When Red Berensen retires at Michigan, it is thought that Michigan would field a women's team. Berensen is believed to be adamantly opposed to women's hockey at Michigan. Michigan has a lot of women's talent, but no DI women's team. Michigan St probably then also adds women's hockey, but those two schools both need updated hockey facilities especially if a women's team is added. Minnesota and now Wisconsin have their own dedicated women's hockey facilities.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/potential-d...--nhl.html

The above article believes that Nebraska (with new arena), Indiana, and Illinois (both if/when new arenas) are next for the Big Ten, with Rutgers and Maryland possible later in the decade (Maryland can refurbish it's old arena).

The article also speculates on West Coast hockey (USC, Stanford, UCLA), but Arizona, Arizona St, Utah, and Colorado have all been the subjects of extensive speculation. Texas is also thrown in the hat.

Last fall, a college hockey writer viewed these schools as most likely to add varsity hockey:

Iowa St
UW-Milwaukee
Navy
St Anselm
Rhode Island
05-17-2013 02:29 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

A conference can sponsor a sport with only four participants. At six participants, a conference is eligible for an automatic bid to the NCAA championship in that sport. Having 4 schools for men's lacrosse has not been a problem for the ACC because most members make the NCAA tournament annually in any event.

For Big Ten Women's hockey, this may not be the case. Also, I'm sure travel and scheduling burdens for Penn State, Minnesota and Wisconsin in their current conferences are probably more manageable than they would be in a Big Ten conference. Ohio State, though, is kind of in "no man's land."
05-17-2013 03:36 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-17-2013 03:36 PM)orangefan Wrote:  A conference can sponsor a sport with only four participants.
A conference can, sure, but the Big Ten rules are that six is required for the Big Ten to do so.

That's been the rule for quite a while ~ since back when six teams was a majority of the Big Ten, the "Ten" back then being the same as the number 10, and not just a brand name.
05-17-2013 04:08 PM
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(05-16-2013 10:58 AM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  
(05-16-2013 10:53 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  And the Johns Hopkins report on conference affiliation has been delivered, but has not been published yet, leading some people to suspect it recommends conference affiliation, which would be the recommendation that would required Johns Hopkins to get its ducks in a row before the public release. If Johns Hopkins was going to stay independent, they could have put the report up already.

Based on prior history, if it leaks, it's the B1G, if not, the ACC.

03-lmfao

Of course you mean history after 2003. 04-chairshot

The BiG used to be the stealth league and the ACC was the sieve.

Now it's the opposite. Like sports, maybe this goes in cycles too?

Cheers,
Neil
05-17-2013 04:12 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(05-17-2013 03:36 PM)orangefan Wrote:  A conference can sponsor a sport with only four participants. At six participants, a conference is eligible for an automatic bid to the NCAA championship in that sport. Having 4 schools for men's lacrosse has not been a problem for the ACC because most members make the NCAA tournament annually in any event.

For Big Ten Women's hockey, this may not be the case. Also, I'm sure travel and scheduling burdens for Penn State, Minnesota and Wisconsin in their current conferences are probably more manageable than they would be in a Big Ten conference. Ohio State, though, is kind of in "no man's land."

There had been talk that Ohio State may pull out of the WCHA women's league and join the CHA, as OSU plays an inordinate amount of time in or near Minnesota. OSU would have made the NCAA's if they played in any other league, as the top teams in the WCHA are essentially multinational Olympic teams.

http://www.uscho.com/standings/division-...2012-2013/
05-17-2013 04:12 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
If I'm Delaney and Hopkins decides to join the ACC instead of the B1G, I'd ask Northwestern to look into starting a men's team with a little help from the conference. Their women's team is already a perennial champion and there is a ton of talent in the Chicago are and it would give them a chance to shine in another Big 10 sport.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2013 05:02 PM by 10thMountain.)
05-17-2013 05:00 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-17-2013 05:00 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  If I'm Delaney and Hopkins decides to join the ACC instead of the B1G, I'd ask Northwestern to look into starting a men's team with a little help from the conference. Their women's team is already a perennial champion and there is a ton of talent in the Chicago are and it would give them a chance to shine in another Big 10 sport.
And any help that the conference might be able to offer in starting up a Title IX match ~ given Northwestern's position on the Lake and the North Channel, its crew that strikes me as one possible Title IX match for them to explore.

If the BTN made a rights payment of $200K, similar to the reported rights payment to the Ice Hockey schools when the BTN starts covering Big Ten ice hockey, that might help. I reckon Northwestern has the facilities for Men's Lacrosse, but their Title IX match, whatever it is, could well require new facilities.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2013 05:15 PM by BruceMcF.)
05-17-2013 05:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.