Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sick G-Ma or Grad Transfer Rule Changes?
Bookmark and Share
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Sick G-Ma or Grad Transfer Rule Changes?
Would changes to the Graduate Transfer Rule make a difference?
Would eliminating the sick relative within 100 miles rule of the NCAA make much of a difference?
Should Coaches have to Sit Out a Year Between Jobs?
Should Players Always be allowed to transfer if their coach is fired?

[Image: bus2animated_zpse35f5846.gif]

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketb...mended_5_5

"Others are seeking immediate eligibility through other means. The most used one is transferring to a school within 100 miles of an ill loved one. Or in the case of Rutgers, where players were allowed to transfer freely in the wake of Mike Rice’s firing, that’s another out. "
05-12-2013 05:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CatMom Online
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
RE: Sick G-Ma or Grad Transfer Rule Changes?
(05-12-2013 05:26 AM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Would changes to the Graduate Transfer Rule make a difference?
Would eliminating the sick relative within 100 miles rule of the NCAA make much of a difference?
Should Coaches have to Sit Out a Year Between Jobs?
Should Players Always be allowed to transfer if their coach is fired?

[Image: bus2animated_zpse35f5846.gif]

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketb...mended_5_5

"Others are seeking immediate eligibility through other means. The most used one is transferring to a school within 100 miles of an ill loved one. Or in the case of Rutgers, where players were allowed to transfer freely in the wake of Mike Rice’s firing, that’s another out. "

Talking football here but:
1. - I don't think it's an issue unless it's clearly an overt action. TXST had a grad student (with 1 yr of eligibility remaining) transfer in from UH, last year. UH did not have his Master's program and, to he honest, he was a walk-on but made the team.
We had a kid transfer out, a few years back, because TXST didn't have his Master's Program. I find no fault with a grad student going where he needs to go to finish his education; especially those who know they're not going to be playing on Sundays after they get that degree.
There can't be just a plethora of these grad students out there, chomping at the bit, just waiting on their opportunity to transfer.
They may have to make it a case by case thing but, I don't have too much of an issue with it.

2. - The 100 miles rule is fair, in most cases. A waiver has to be submitted, and that waiver proces is a PITA. Then they look at it on an individual basis. It's not a given an athlete will get it and the waiting time for a response is obnoxious; but they check every detail of that application.
We have a young man waiting to hear back, right now, for the 2013 season. He's been at TXST since December and has done everything with the team. He may not hear back until mid June or as late as July. So, he's in kind of a football limbo (for lack of a better term)

3. - No. It's a business. If I hire away your CEO, I'm not going to want him penalized for leaving your company. I just gave him a bonus to come here and I won't stand for that person to have to sit out on the Boards' meetings for a year. It ain't happening.

4. - In cases such as Penn St and Rutgers, yes. As for a coach being fired mid season, or at the end of a dismal tenure, by their U. no. We'd have wholesale transferring.
05-12-2013 09:29 AM
GoApps70 Offline

Tend to agree with you about Penn State. When a school has something huge like that happening believe the students going there should be given a temporary out to the situation.
The article seems to say that the Grad Transfer provision was becoming a much larger misused way to transfer. Cannot wrap my mind around why though since the student has obviously done well at the university. Might be considered an extra incentive.
05-12-2013 02:07 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Coaches setting out a year will never happen but I think their should be penalties. The NCAA regarding football coaches, coaches shouldn't be able to interview or accept another job until bowl season is over if that coach is a setting HC. If the NCAA isn't going to have a rule like that then there should be treble damages awarded to the program that loses a coach.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2013 02:38 PM by HerdZoned.)
05-12-2013 02:37 PM
Advertisement

CatMom Online
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
(05-12-2013 02:37 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  Coaches setting out a year will never happen but I think their should be penalties. The NCAA regarding football coaches, coaches shouldn't be able to interview or accept another job until bowl season is over if that coach is a setting HC. If the NCAA isn't going to have a rule like that then there should be treble damages awarded to the program that loses a coach.

I believe there already is a rule for post season. We had BB coaches waiting to interview but could not come in until their teams were eliminated from the NCAAs and/or (whatever that other tournament is). However, Teis pulled the trigger on Kaspar so it became a moot subject.
05-12-2013 03:10 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(05-12-2013 03:10 PM)CatMom Wrote:  I believe there already is a rule for post season. We had BB coaches waiting to interview but could not come in until their teams were eliminated from the NCAAs and/or (whatever that other tournament is). However, Teis pulled the trigger on Kaspar so it became a moot subject.

There is no such time frame for football coaches. The bigger programs hire a coach as soon as they can. And that's usually before bowl season even begins. That hurts those schools that lose their coach in two ways: 1)They usually have a disadvantage in their bowl game and 2)The school losing their coach can have their recruiting class fall apart on them.
05-12-2013 03:29 PM
GoApps70 Offline

(05-12-2013 03:29 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 03:10 PM)CatMom Wrote:  I believe there already is a rule for post season. We had BB coaches waiting to interview but could not come in until their teams were eliminated from the NCAAs and/or (whatever that other tournament is). However, Teis pulled the trigger on Kaspar so it became a moot subject.

There is no such time frame for football coaches. The bigger programs hire a coach as soon as they can. And that's usually before bowl season even begins. That hurts those schools that lose their coach in two ways: 1)They usually have a disadvantage in their bowl game and 2)The school losing their coach can have their recruiting class fall apart on them.

Yeah, that's created some horrendous situations. Even if the outgoing coach wants to coach the bowl game and the school allows him to, it seems results are not good normally. Plus the publicity of a school losing their coach is not good.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2013 03:53 PM by GoApps70.)
05-12-2013 03:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.