Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Star Trek novice watching Star Trek S1 via Net Flix
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
Star Trek novice watching Star Trek S1 via Net Flix
Let me say first I have watched some older episodes of the Original Star Trek series and reasonably familiar with the major players in the cast.

I just got done with E1 which they labeled as the Pilot episode. It had Captain Pike in it. I thought the episode with the "big brain" guys was interesting. Now playing E2 and I noticed they basically morphed in the "known" cast. Why the shake up? How long was it from Pilot to E2? Just seemed odd to me. I also must say that I think these might just be the upgraded BR release episodes because the they VERY SHARP for material from the 60s.
05-11-2013 10:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I Root For: KU
RE: Star Trek novice watching Star Trek S1 via Net Flix
Long story short, the initial pilot was screened to network executives, and while they thought it was very well done, they had a couple of reservations. One, they apparently didn't give their audience much credit, and thought it was "too cerebral". Two, the show had initially been pitched as more of an action-adventure show, and the pilot didn't quite fit that bill.

Unusual for the time, rather than pass altogether, the network gave Roddenberry a lot of notes, but let him do another pilot, which was the episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before" (which actually aired several episodes into Season 1, although if you watch closely you can see how it looks and feels different than the bulk of season 1). Jeffrey Hunter passed (supposedly due to his wife's influence) so they recast with Shatner as Captain. The network also didn't like the "cold" female first officer, so they made Spock the first officer and changed his character to be logical. (If you watch the pilot closely, you'll notice that Spock is more emotional than in subsequent episodes.)
05-11-2013 10:59 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(05-11-2013 10:59 PM)BewareThePhog Wrote:  Long story short, the initial pilot was screened to network executives, and while they thought it was very well done, they had a couple of reservations. One, they apparently didn't give their audience much credit, and thought it was "too cerebral". Two, the show had initially been pitched as more of an action-adventure show, and the pilot didn't quite fit that bill.

Unusual for the time, rather than pass altogether, the network gave Roddenberry a lot of notes, but let him do another pilot, which was the episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before" (which actually aired several episodes into Season 1, although if you watch closely you can see how it looks and feels different than the bulk of season 1). Jeffrey Hunter passed (supposedly due to his wife's influence) so they recast with Shatner as Captain. The network also didn't like the "cold" female first officer, so they made Spock the first officer and changed his character to be logical. (If you watch the pilot closely, you'll notice that Spock is more emotional than in subsequent episodes.)

I got to admit that Spock had little sayings of logical or illogical in his dealings with crew members in that Pilot episode. That said, in E2 it did pick up.

I would agree that the first one was kind of "cerebral."

I thought Pike wasn't bad. I'd have figured, after watching, he would have had more appearances or more involved with the series.

Pike's inclusion kind of suprised me based on seeing the newer Star Trek movie. They used Pike a lot. Wonder how much he shows up in Dark Territory.
05-11-2013 11:15 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Also, the contrasting personalities in Pike vs Kirk are kind of interesting.... both seem to be the same guy, Kirk is a little shiftier though...
05-11-2013 11:24 PM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I agree that it was interesting to see how they used Pike in the first Abrams Star Trek movie. It does make sense in terms of setting up the entire alternate timeline story, which I thought was a smart way to free themselves to tell whatever stories they wanted to moving forward without conflicting with established "history". It's also interesting how the pilot establishes Pike as being somewhat world-weary, showing some strain rather than being just the stereotypical stalwart action hero. Later in the first season, when production was running behind and costs were high, they created an "envelope" story which allowed them to use the bulk of the footage from the pilot episode in a two-part episode.

You can also see Spock show a little more emotion in the first one. As an example, if I recall correctly when they're first exploring the planet and they come across some odd vibrating plants, when he grabs the leaves of one to stop the vibration, he breaks out into a pretty broad smile.

I think the network wasn't keen on a female second-in-command at the time, and her stoic personality was another strike against her. Of course, with different hair the actress was later Nurse Chapel, and she was also the voice of the computer. There was some concern that Spock would be viewed as being too satanic, particularly in the Bible Belt. Of course, the initial ratings for the show weren't great, but it certainly exceeded all expectations in decades to come.
05-11-2013 11:50 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
For me the best parts are the humor and the relationship of the big 3. That best example is the tribbles episode.
05-12-2013 07:46 AM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(05-12-2013 07:46 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  For me the best parts are the humor and the relationship of the big 3. That best example is the tribbles episode.
The "City on the Edge of Forever" episode is the best example IMO. I always like the episodes written by Harlan Ellison best...
05-12-2013 11:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(05-11-2013 11:50 PM)BewareThePhog Wrote:  I agree that it was interesting to see how they used Pike in the first Abrams Star Trek movie. It does make sense in terms of setting up the entire alternate timeline story, which I thought was a smart way to free themselves to tell whatever stories they wanted to moving forward without conflicting with established "history". It's also interesting how the pilot establishes Pike as being somewhat world-weary, showing some strain rather than being just the stereotypical stalwart action hero. Later in the first season, when production was running behind and costs were high, they created an "envelope" story which allowed them to use the bulk of the footage from the pilot episode in a two-part episode.

It did seem that whatever happened to Pike that him and the Doctor were talking about at the beginning of the episode really got to him mentally. Like he was having trouble resolving it in his mind. And that was burden to him in his future dealings and he wanted to go back home so to speak.
05-12-2013 08:36 PM
EagleX Offline
Wake me when the suck is over

I Root For: Southern Miss
Pike also appeared in the original series episode, "the menagerie". No spoilers, but that episode is based on the relationship between spock and pike.

. . . And there are, I suppose, parallels between the menagerie and the ending of the 2009 Star Trek flick.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2013 11:00 PM by EagleX.)
05-12-2013 10:59 PM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

PirateTreasureNC, I really think that you're going to enjoy watching the original series. There are a few clunker episodes, but the same can be said of pretty much every TV show. I'll try to be careful with commentary to avoid spoiling any significant plot points.

Bit is right - "City on the Edge of Forever" is an excellent episode.

Wolfman's take on how the relationship between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy provides some of the best moments of the show is right on. I like the ending of "Friday's Child", where Kirk and McCoy are celebrating an event that just occurred, and Spock drily says "I think that the two of you will be insufferably pleased with yourselves for at least a week!". (Yes, I've seen these all many, many times.) I do like the casting in the new series - I think there's good chemistry with Pine, Quinto, and Urban. Now I just need to line up a babysitter so we can get away to see the next one!
05-13-2013 09:07 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(05-12-2013 11:45 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 07:46 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  For me the best parts are the humor and the relationship of the big 3. That best example is the tribbles episode.
The "City on the Edge of Forever" episode is the best example IMO. I always like the episodes written by Harlan Ellison best...

Everybody loves that one.

I prefer "This Side of Paradise". The ending challenges Kirk's reckless nature to upset everything comfortable.
05-13-2013 10:19 AM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(05-13-2013 10:19 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 11:45 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
Everybody loves that one.

I prefer "This Side of Paradise". The ending challenges Kirk's reckless nature to upset everything comfortable.
Both of those episodes were written by Harlan Ellison...
05-13-2013 01:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Tribble episode was EPIC in both the original edition and the one they did for the Animated Series.
05-13-2013 08:10 PM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I think they also did a DS9 episode where they integrated footage from the original tribbles episode.
05-13-2013 08:26 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Remember who first gave tribbles to the crew of the Enterprise?
05-13-2013 09:13 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Halfway through.... and I have another question...

Is there a formal structure to the shirt colors? I assume they are based on rank but I have seen a few times where same person changed colors.
05-20-2013 08:37 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

The redshirts always die...
05-20-2013 08:38 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(05-20-2013 08:38 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  The redshirts always die...

lol

Its not Alien...
05-20-2013 08:53 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(05-20-2013 08:53 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

lol

Its not Alien...

It's true. I think Scalzi's book has something to do w/ it.

Anyway
Blue- science
Red- engineering
Yellow- command/operations
05-21-2013 12:52 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(05-21-2013 12:52 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(05-20-2013 08:53 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
lol

Its not Alien...
It's true. I think Scalzi's book has something to do w/ it.

Anyway
Blue- science
Red- engineering
Yellow- command/operations
John Scalzi was merely making an observation, which lead him to a good story...
05-21-2013 12:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.