Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rockets a disappointing seventh
Bookmark and Share
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
Rockets a disappointing seventh
A team that should have dominated the distance events didn't and in spite of actually getting points in the throws (thanks in part to Carly Molls, Dan's sister, in the javelin) the Rockets finished seventh. Bolin getting 19+ in the LJ and the Rockets going 2-3 in the 10,000 were probably the best of soem meager highlights.
05-11-2013 09:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Rockets a disappointing seventh
(05-11-2013 09:12 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  A team that should have dominated the distance events didn't and in spite of actually getting points in the throws (thanks in part to Carly Molls, Dan's sister, in the javelin) the Rockets finished seventh. Bolin getting 19+ in the LJ and the Rockets going 2-3 in the 10,000 were probably the best of soem meager highlights.

Question for H20 or any other track gurus out there----was this just a one time anomaly or is this only the first installment of the post-Hadsell UT track program or is it still too early to tell?
05-12-2013 07:52 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(05-12-2013 07:52 AM)T-Town Wrote:  
(05-11-2013 09:12 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  A team that should have dominated the distance events didn't and in spite of actually getting points in the throws (thanks in part to Carly Molls, Dan's sister, in the javelin) the Rockets finished seventh. Bolin getting 19+ in the LJ and the Rockets going 2-3 in the 10,000 were probably the best of soem meager highlights.

Question for H20 or any other track gurus out there----was this just a one time anomaly or is this only the first installment of the post-Hadsell UT track program or is it still too early to tell?

I'll go with too early to tell. His departure had to be a blow and I'm not sure if there were injuries, etc. I know some of the talent hasn't progressed as I thought it would- Megan Wright for example looked like a big time 1,500 runner early on but I know she struggled with injuries. But this is a team that dominated the top ten in x-country and should have had better performances in the longer events. They did well in the 10k but otherwise not what I hoped for. I know Ari is working with the distance runners so they certainly have some expertise there. Not having a coach has to hurt. The interim coach, Jin, is a great jump coach and we scored well in the triple and LJ. I think Katie Bolin's 19 footer was near a career best. So the focus definitely shifted to more field events. We got thrower points for the first time in years. I'm just eager to see who they hire as the new coach-you really need someone with a strong distance background because its really a three sport (indoor, outdoor and x-country) area and because we've built a name and a program. I hope Jin stays on and I hope Ari stays-we need a stronger field contingent than we've had in the past and we're building that but I hate to see the distance program slide. So, yeah, after a lengthy post the answer is "too early to tell". :)
05-12-2013 08:17 AM
BigMac Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Toledo

All of the distance runners with the exception of one I think pr'd at the Mac this weekend.Tullis and Ramsay 2nd and 3rd in the 10k for 14 pts. Brooke Tullis who scored 4 points in the 5k as well is a freshman and Devyn Ramsay broke 17 min. for the first time of her running in the 5 k scoring 3 points. Chojnasky who would have challenged for the win and won in indoor had to stop in the 10k and dropped to the floor during the race with illness,unfortunately for us so that took her out of other events as well. Vogelsong and Chojnasky out with illness and injury for the rest of the Mac.Wright just starting back from an injury.Theresa Warsecke a freshman won the 1500 prelim 4.28.43 and came in 4th in the final for 5 pts.Distance scored 26 of the 49 points without our leed runners...so not making excuses but the team has all improved on times greatly even without Hadsell.I think it was unfortuneate mentally that U.T. posted for a New Director the morning before the Mac.... threw everyone off mentally and reminds them all of the unknown once again, but they are a tough bunch and new stars will rise by cross country.
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2013 09:52 AM by BigMac.)
05-13-2013 09:40 AM
Advertisement

Dwight Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rockets
(05-13-2013 09:40 AM)BigMac Wrote:  

All of the distance runners with the exception of one I think pr'd at the Mac this weekend.Tullis and Ramsay 2nd and 3rd in the 10k for 14 pts. Brooke Tullis who scored 4 points in the 5k as well is a freshman and Devyn Ramsay broke 17 min. for the first time of her running in the 5 k scoring 3 points. Chojnasky who would have challenged for the win and won in indoor had to stop in the 10k and dropped to the floor during the race with illness,unfortunately for us so that took her out of other events as well. Vogelsong and Chojnasky out with illness and injury for the rest of the Mac.Wright just starting back from an injury.Theresa Warsecke a freshman won the 1500 prelim 4.28.43 and came in 4th in the final for 5 pts.Distance scored 26 of the 49 points without our leed runners...so not making excuses but the team has all improved on times greatly even without Hadsell.I think it was unfortuneate mentally that U.T. posted for a New Director the morning before the Mac.... threw everyone off mentally and reminds them all of the unknown once again, but they are a tough bunch and new stars will rise by cross country.

Undoubtedly some of our distance runners had a good meet, and some definitely show promise, and there are excuses for some of the subpar results. But spin it how you will, our distance results were a far cry from our dominance in cross country. If you include only events from the 1500 on up, we still didn't win the meet.

1. Miami 31
2. Toledo 26
3. EMU 25
4. Ohio 23
5. Buffalo 22
6. Central Michigan 13
7. Kent State 10
8. Ball State 4
9. Bowling Green 2
05-13-2013 10:18 AM
BigMac Offline
Bench Warmer

(05-13-2013 10:18 AM)Dwight Wrote:  

Undoubtedly some of our distance runners had a good meet, and some definitely show promise, and there are excuses for some of the subpar results. But spin it how you will, our distance results were a far cry from our dominance in cross country. If you include only events from the 1500 on up, we still didn't win the meet.

1. Miami 31
2. Toledo 26
3. EMU 25
4. Ohio 23
5. Buffalo 22
6. Central Michigan 13
7. Kent State 10
8. Ball State 4
9. Bowling Green 2

No spin,no blame intended ...just the facts mam...just the facts.
05-13-2013 11:21 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(05-13-2013 11:21 AM)BigMac Wrote:  

1. Miami 31
2. Toledo 26
3. EMU 25
4. Ohio 23
5. Buffalo 22
6. Central Michigan 13
7. Kent State 10
8. Ball State 4
9. Bowling Green 2

I'm a little surprised to hear about the PRs. I haven't followed it as closely as in the past but I know we had a solid steeple performance last year (and most years) and no points there. I knew Megan was injured and has struggled with that and probably did well to place where she did. but I did think that given the x-country results we would have scored more points and won an event or two. So is Ari doing most of the work with the distance runners? I do know that it was an awfully young team last year with huge potential. I'm excited for x-country again- now that I'm retired I hope to catch more meets.
05-13-2013 11:28 AM
Advertisement

BigMac Offline
Bench Warmer

(05-13-2013 11:28 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(05-13-2013 11:21 AM)BigMac Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 07:52 AM)T-Town Wrote:  Question for H20 or any other track gurus out there----was this just a one time anomaly or is this only the first installment of the post-Hadsell UT track program or is it still too early to tell?

1. Miami 31
2. Toledo 26
3. EMU 25
4. Ohio 23
5. Buffalo 22
6. Central Michigan 13
7. Kent State 10
8. Ball State 4
9. Bowling Green 2

I'm a little surprised to hear about the PRs. I haven't followed it as closely as in the past but I know we had a solid steeple performance last year (and most years) and no points there. I knew Megan was injured and has struggled with that and probably did well to place where she did. but I did think that given the x-country results we would have scored more points and won an event or two. So is Ari doing most of the work with the distance runners? I do know that it was an awfully young team last year with huge potential. I'm excited for x-country again- now that I'm retired I hope to catch more meets.

Ari is working with the distance runners . I think perhaps some viewers don't understand that if a runner on the Mac team is ill or injured once you have submitted there name for an event you can't replace that runner during the meet like you can in another sport.Toledo would have scored more points defineately if Chojanacky had finished the 10k .She was in the lead. She did not run her other heats.
5 points between Miami and Toledo....one place one race...one girl??There you go. Do not suppose that Ari or any of the girls racing were happy with the outcome.They were not. They have 5 new distance recruits coming in.Wright, Chojanacky and Vogelsong as well as the rest of the crew will be ready.They have a Dynasty to represent come fall.
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2013 03:42 PM by BigMac.)
05-13-2013 12:12 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(05-13-2013 12:12 PM)BigMac Wrote:  Wright, Chojanacky and Vogelsong as well as the rest of the crew will be ready.They have a Dynasty to represent come fall.

04-cheers
05-13-2013 02:59 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I was disappointed that we weren't able to get any pole vault points. We have a decent facility and 3 young vaulters on the roster that all did 11-6 or better in high school. Only had one vaulter put up any numbers (10-10). Doesn't sound like much progress.
05-13-2013 03:59 PM
Advertisement

rocketpete Offline
2nd String

I Root For: toledo
Women,s Track and Field has been consistently under performing.
To , way to many holes in various disciplines.
Nothing against the previous leader but.. he really under preformed in Track.
The next coach needs to understand what it takes to score quality points in events that comprise a true upper tier MAC level team.
I also think the assistants on the staff now are a strength.
05-15-2013 09:47 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(05-15-2013 09:47 PM)rocketpete Wrote:  Women,s Track and Field has been consistently under performing.
To , way to many holes in various disciplines.
Nothing against the previous leader but.. he really under preformed in Track.
The next coach needs to understand what it takes to score quality points in events that comprise a true upper tier MAC level team.
I also think the assistants on the staff now are a strength.

I've said the same for awhile. I think it's a hazard of circumstance. You almost have to hire a distance guy for the x-country end of things but risk leaning on that discipline for points in track. Good to see Carly Molls step up in the throws. We just need to build in throws and sprints. Jin is good with the jumpers if he stays and Ari can manage the distance end of things. We need to get some of those women from Rogers to stay here and sprint.
05-15-2013 11:20 PM
utxctrack Offline
2nd String

I think they will hire a distance coach and continue to put their money into securing wins in xc and going to the NCAAs. On the women's side there is nobody in the MAC that is winning at both xc and track. This has been proven time and time again to Chug and the others. You have to choose one or the other just like most of the other top distance programs in the nation do.

It is different for the men nationally. I don't think Hadsell cared if they won or not because you have a school like Kent and Eastern that suck at cross country and put all their money in track. There is no way the school would sacrifice the top program nationally to reinvent the wheel and try to win at track with no indoor facility.

As it has been stated many times: on the women's side, no school without a competition INDOOR track, has EVER won the MAC Track and Field Championship either INDOOR OR OUTDOOR. On top of that, no women's only program has EVER won MAC INDOOR OR OUTDOOR Championships. not enough paid coaches on the staff.

I think that the trck program has done just as well as other distance programs around the nation. I do not want to see a track orientated coach. They will sacrifice being a national xc program to potentially not winning xc even at the MAC and they will face a battle to do something that just has not been able to be done in track given over 35 years of MAC action.

Closest Toledo came to winning in track, besides last year, was with Coach Lancaster finishing 2nd. Problem was, they were dead last in cross country just to finish second. That was back when there was only a couple of indoor tracks in the league too so it didn't really matter.

Anyone that wants a track guy to come in is asking for the program to go back to what it was before Hadsell: terrible. If you follow the MAC, you will see that it takes NATIONAL level perfoemances to score big points in the mac in the other events. Good throwers are going to go to Kent, BG, Akron, Buffalo. So you are overpaying for mediocre throwers to score chump points. Hadsell was getting state champions and hs all-americans to sign for partials in distance to score big distance points.

This is exactly the same reason that schools like kent and WMU are terrible in cross country. They gave up trying to get the big points and spend their money getting the other events. You see the same thing nationally with schools like LSU. All sprints and jumps. Not a single distance runner on scholarship. Maybe not even a thrower. Being good in all event areas in this day and age is not going to equal anythning.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2013 03:39 PM by utxctrack.)
05-20-2013 03:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.