Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If it takes Rutgers 6 yrs. how long for MD?
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
If it takes Rutgers 6 yrs. how long for MD?
How far is Maryland in the hole? Here is where Rutgers is at:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/05..._tour.html

Quote:Last week, Rutgers President Robert Barchi said he expects the university’s athletic department, which runs about $18 million in the red each year, to begin breaking even in six years. That is when Rutgers is to begin fully cashing in on the Big Ten’s lucrative television contracts and other revenue.

Also interesting is that both Rutgers and Maryland will join the CIC July 1st of this year. A full year in advance of the athletic programs. Wonder if this has any bearing on the current litigation going on?

Quote:Rutgers is joining the CIC as part of the deal to move its sports teams from the Big East to the wealthier and more prestigious Big Ten.

Does the exit fee only pertain to the Athletic Department or to the University itself? Does Maryland and Rutgers, by joining the CIC this summer, breach any exit criteria?

Another little tidbit:

Quote:Rutgers will pay about $200,000 a year to be part of the CIC, campus officials said. That money is used to fund the consortium’s Illinois-based headquarters and staff.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2013 09:48 PM by Dasville.)
05-10-2013 09:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
RE: If it takes Rutgers 6 yrs. how long for MD?
Sounds like a pyramid scheme to me.
05-10-2013 10:18 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
Rutgers also gets about $10MM from student fees, they are actually in the red $28MM/or more/year. They are in a huge debt (assuming the State/school want their money back). Add to that 6 more years of deficits and things are not all roses. They may lose some of their fan base, too, when they cannot rack up easy wins against the B1G's eastern division. Don't misunderstand me, Rutgers did the right thing for Rutgers, but their optimism for righting their fiscal ship is a bit much.
05-11-2013 08:56 AM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
I don't think Maryland was as bad off and Rutgers. What I'm interested in seeing is what will happen if the BIG actuals come in less than the projections and the ACC makes significantly more than what Maryland projected.
05-11-2013 08:59 AM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
Why would Maryland joining the CIC affect the lawsuit? That's not an athletic conference.
05-11-2013 09:59 AM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

(05-11-2013 09:59 AM)Marge Schott Wrote:  Why would Maryland joining the CIC affect the lawsuit? That's not an athletic conference.

If I recall correctly, the CIC is open only to B1G members, with U of Chicago excepted as they were once a B1G member. If nothing else, it is sufficient for a prima facie case of tortious interference. Also, it proves the point that Maryland is leaving the ACC, negating their claim that they have not resigned from the ACC.

In short, it only strengthens the ACC's case against UMD and makes it more likely that a settlement closer to 3X annual TV money v. 1.5 (the old agreement).
05-11-2013 11:06 AM
Advertisement

Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
Is it actually in the bylaws, "institutions seeking admission to the CIC MUST be Big Ten universities"? Or is there no such language and the CIC members choose to only invite Big Ten members? That's a pretty big difference and a pretty big assumption to make.

It's pretty obvious that UMD will have some exit penalty that will likely be more than the $20M from a few years ago and could very well be substantially less than the $50+M voted on (with their nay vote) this past year. It seems funny to me that the people most interested in the lawsuit are current Big East schools who seemingly have no/very minimal dog in the fight. I mean, none of you should receive any of the exit fee money as none of you will be in the conference when Maryland leaves.
05-11-2013 12:29 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(05-11-2013 12:29 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  Is it actually in the bylaws, "institutions seeking admission to the CIC MUST be Big Ten universities"? Or is there no such language and the CIC members choose to only invite Big Ten members? That's a pretty big difference and a pretty big assumption to make.

It's pretty obvious that UMD will have some exit penalty that will likely be more than the $20M from a few years ago and could very well be substantially less than the $50+M voted on (with their nay vote) this past year. It seems funny to me that the people most interested in the lawsuit are current Big East schools who seemingly have no/very minimal dog in the fight. I mean, none of you should receive any of the exit fee money as none of you will be in the conference when Maryland leaves.

I actually agree with this since BE schools arent being damaged by Maryland leaving. Even though Pitt and Syracuse will be in the ACC when Maryland leaves I dont think any of the fans of those schools are expecting their rooting interests to share in the exit fees. This is the slowest time of the year so folks are looking for anything sports related to post about. Makes no difference whether its a current or future Acc team.
05-11-2013 12:42 PM
WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wake Forest
That depends on what is done with the exit fee. It probably will be divided up and distributed to the current members, but I've heard some talk that the ACC might sink it into the new network to get it up and running sooner.
05-11-2013 12:49 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
(05-11-2013 12:42 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(05-11-2013 12:29 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  Is it actually in the bylaws, "institutions seeking admission to the CIC MUST be Big Ten universities"? Or is there no such language and the CIC members choose to only invite Big Ten members? That's a pretty big difference and a pretty big assumption to make.

I actually agree with this since BE schools arent being damaged by Maryland leaving. Even though Pitt and Syracuse will be in the ACC when Maryland leaves I dont think any of the fans of those schools are expecting their rooting interests to share in the exit fees. This is the slowest time of the year so folks are looking for anything sports related to post about. Makes no difference whether its a current or future Acc team.

Syracuse, Pitt and Notre Dame will be in the conference for one year with Maryland. While there were rumors of Maryland flirting with the B1G, Syracuse, Pitt and Notre Dame made their decisions to join an ACC that included Maryland. SU & MD are traditional powers in lacrosse. Pitt & MD were in a secondary league together (womens gymnastics).

Maryland is centrally located to the new additions. It is the closest ACC school to Pitt. 2nd closest to ND and SU. Louisville is ~300 miles farther for SU and ~150 miles farther for Pitt.

I'm not saying these factors entitle the newbies to any of the exit fee just that they exist.
05-11-2013 01:43 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL

I don't think UofL should receive a dime of MD's exit fee money and I don't think the University is expecting any.

I do think Cuse/Pitt deserve a partial share because they will be in the Conference with MD for a year and the exit fee was calculated with their addition to the Yearly Operating Budget. ND should receive some small amount as well b/c it was their addition that escalated the exit fee to 3x the yearly operating budget.
05-11-2013 02:33 PM
Advertisement

HtownOrange Offline
All American

I am in the legal field, job hazard, lawsuits interest us.

As for the "nay" vote, that is looking more and more like it was not fair dealing. Thus, it will not help Maryland but may hurt them substantially.
05-11-2013 02:38 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

(05-11-2013 01:43 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  

Syracuse, Pitt and Notre Dame will be in the conference for one year with Maryland. While there were rumors of Maryland flirting with the B1G, Syracuse, Pitt and Notre Dame made their decisions to join an ACC that included Maryland. SU & MD are traditional powers in lacrosse. Pitt & MD were in a secondary league together (womens gymnastics).

Maryland is centrally located to the new additions. It is the closest ACC school to Pitt. 2nd closest to ND and SU. Louisville is ~300 miles farther for SU and ~150 miles farther for Pitt.

I'm not saying these factors entitle the newbies to any of the exit fee just that they exist.

You are correct in your analysis. As a fan, I don't care whether Syracuse gets a portion or not, that is for the schools to decide. A share of $52MM split 16 ways (one share for the conference and one for each of up to 15 schools) will not make or break any school.

I like the idea of the conference using the money as seed money for a network, that is solid.
05-11-2013 02:50 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(05-11-2013 02:50 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  
(05-11-2013 01:43 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  

You are correct in your analysis. As a fan, I don't care whether Syracuse gets a portion or not, that is for the schools to decide. A share of $52MM split 16 ways (one share for the conference and one for each of up to 15 schools) will not make or break any school.

I like the idea of the conference using the money as seed money for a network, that is solid.

Really it all depends on conference entry bylaws and conditions that Pitt and SU agreed to when entering. Reports suggest both will get full shares of conference annual disbursements immediately (not phased in over a period of years as an "entry fee") so that suggests they will likely get equal splits if the ACC divvies it up the MD exit fee among members. ND may even get some portion of a share, probably relative to their portion of annual revenue allocations (which I believe is less than a half share). Louisville obviously would not since they will be replacing MD after they leave. Therefore, the exit money is more likely to be split 14.X ways including the conference office (not 16), or something over $3.5 million per school if they extract the full amount. Not insignificant. Think how much hoopla most schools would make if someone made a $3.5 million donation.

Personally, if they choose to use it as some sort of seed money for a project like the ACC Network or beefing up the ACCIAC, so be it. The money has to ultimately come from the schools anyway by diverting revenue shares to the conference office.

Not that it matters for how the conference decides or has already decided what to do with the exit fee, but MD leaving, as suggested above, really did potentially hurt Pitt as much as anyone else. MD would have been the closest conference member to Pitt. Despite little history existing between the two schools, I believe Pitt was pushing for MD to be a protected rival or in the same division. Pitt's largest alumni club base outside of Pittsburgh is located in the beltway. Pitt recruits a lot there, academically and athletically. Based on recent games at Navy, Pitt would have traveled very well to College Park. Not having Maryland also has kept gymnastics from becoming an ACC sport (which also affects UNC and NCSU).
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2013 07:08 PM by CrazyPaco.)
05-11-2013 06:55 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
I'm probably in the minority, but I don't think Maryland, based on their vote and when they left, should pay the new exit fee. An exit fee yes. But not the new one.
05-13-2013 10:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

Their vote on the matter is irrelevant.
05-13-2013 11:34 AM
Advertisement

AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
Quote:With its athletic department facing a nearly $5 million annual deficit that is rapidly compounding and stands to top $17 million by 2017, Maryland this summer cut seven of its 27 varsity sports — a move projected to pare roughly 7 percent from the $57.7 million annual budget. But unless the Terps figure out how to boost the revenue side of their ledger, even more draconian measures are likely in store.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-...ance-terps
05-13-2013 11:39 AM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(05-13-2013 11:34 AM)WakeForestRanger Wrote:  Their vote on the matter is irrelevant.

Not really. They voted against the fee increase, and becan seeking to leave shortly after it became official. How that is not "relevant" I am not sure how that conclusion could be made. There is a difference between if it is a deciding factor in their hearing, and whether it is relevant. It will be the first line of defense they present. There is no F'ing way it is "irrelevant."
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2013 12:11 PM by adcorbett.)
05-13-2013 12:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

Maryland agreed to be bound by conference by laws and the method as to how those by laws can be changed. How they voted on any particular issue is irrelevant.
05-13-2013 12:18 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

(05-13-2013 11:39 AM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  
Quote:With its athletic department facing a nearly $5 million annual deficit that is rapidly compounding and stands to top $17 million by 2017, Maryland this summer cut seven of its 27 varsity sports — a move projected to pare roughly 7 percent from the $57.7 million annual budget. But unless the Terps figure out how to boost the revenue side of their ledger, even more draconian measures are likely in store.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-...ance-terps

Had they just waited a little bit, they would have resolved the issue. Ah, what could have been.
05-13-2013 01:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.