http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-s...25845.html
05-10-2013 11:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearcat T Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Nick Saban on the future of college football
I do like that he uses 70 teams as what should be in the 5 conferences that I think would allow for 6 more teams to move up. I think if we had 5 even conferences at 14 each the Big 12 could add 4 and the Pac two more?
05-10-2013 11:35 AM
Borncoog74 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
(05-10-2013 11:35 AM)Bearcat T Wrote:  I do like that he uses 70 teams as what should be in the 5 conferences that I think would allow for 6 more teams to move up. I think if we had 5 even conferences at 14 each the Big 12 could add 4 and the Pac two more?

Who do you think the PAC would add?

And, do you think it is possible that the BIG XII might need to add 6 because of it......
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2013 12:01 PM by Borncoog74.)
05-10-2013 11:41 AM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(05-10-2013 11:35 AM)Bearcat T Wrote:  I do like that he uses 70 teams as what should be in the 5 conferences that I think would allow for 6 more teams to move up. I think if we had 5 even conferences at 14 each the Big 12 could add 4 and the Pac two more?

Right, I bet that's what he's thinking. With the GORs it almost has to be 5 conferences now rather than the 4 'super-conferences' mentioned at one time. And 5 conferences at 14 teams each. The Pac would grab the best two in the west and, I'd think, the Big 12 would want to fill out their best four with mostly teams to the ... east?
05-10-2013 11:46 AM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
The dude scheduled Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic and Western Carolina last year.

It's easy to talk the talk.
05-10-2013 11:57 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(05-10-2013 11:57 AM)CougarRed Wrote:  The dude scheduled Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic and Western Carolina last year.

If Saban could do that with his SEC schedule and still finish in the top two - why not. Otherwise it's a needless risk to play too tough of a schedule --- unless everyone is forced to. And that seems to be where he wants to go.
05-10-2013 12:45 PM
Advertisement

Goldenbuc Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
I would prefer 5/16 conferences. But 14 could still happen and basically since the ACC can't be raided, the Big 12 would have to take from the AAC and BYU or the PAC gives in and takes BYU.
05-10-2013 02:06 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(05-10-2013 11:57 AM)CougarRed Wrote:  The dude scheduled Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic and Western Carolina last year.

Ding!

Don't do as I say...do as I do:

Since Saban got to Alabama in 2007, here's what Bama's non-conf home schedule has looked like:

2007: Div I-AA Western Carolina, Louisiana-Monroe, Houston

2008: Div I-AA Western Kentucky, Arkansas State, Tulane

2009: Div I-AA Tennessee Chattanooga, FIU, North Texas

2010: Div I-AA Georgia State, San Jose State, Penn State

2011: Div I-AA Georgia Southern, Kent State, North Texas

2012: Div I-AA Western Carolina, Western Kentucky, FAU

2013: Div I-AA Tennessee Chattanooga, former I-AA Georgia State (1st year at I-AA), Colorado State

Out of those 21 non-conf home games for Alabama under Saban, the breakdown is:

7 non-conf games vs Div I-AA opponents
1 non-conf game vs a former Div I-AA opponent in their first year of I-A
1 non-conf games vs BCS Opponent
others vs some of the worst programs in I-A

Also, in those same 7 years...Alabama will have played just TWO true non-conf road games (at Duke, at Penn State) as the other 5 non-conf games were usually neutral (really ALABAMA HOME GAMES) in Atlanta or Dallas.

Bama could easily schedule 4 non-conf BCS home-home series each and every year...but Bama and Saban don't want it...I laugh when he tries to talk about "tough" non-conf schedules.
05-10-2013 02:11 PM
FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8
(05-10-2013 02:11 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  

Ding!

Since Saban got to Alabama in 2007, here's what Bama's non-conf home schedule has looked like:

2013: Div I-AA Tennessee Chattanooga, former I-AA Georgia State (1st year at I-AA), Colorado State

Also, in those same 7 years...Alabama will have played just TWO true non-conf road games (at Duke, at Penn State) as the other 5 non-conf games were usually neutral (really ALABAMA HOME GAMES) in Atlanta or Dallas.

Bama could easily schedule 4 non-conf BCS home-home series each and every year...but Bama and Saban don't want it...I laugh when he tries to talk about "tough" non-conf schedules.

Ding ding! Loud mouth isn't thinking about the home games he'd have to give up. As it is they can pay the have-nots to come there and never return, the Big5 all have money and are going to want home & homes.
05-10-2013 02:30 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE

...and its just talk
05-10-2013 02:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
[Image: crystaldenied.0_standard_709.0.gif]
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2013 03:26 PM by shere khan.)
05-10-2013 03:23 PM
Advertisement

kyucat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Saban's idea will never fly.. The greed of many schools who insist on playing 8 home games will prevent that. Those schools will use the excuse that they need the income to support the Olympic sports. Plus some conferences are moving to 9 league games
05-10-2013 06:34 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
(05-10-2013 06:34 PM)kyucat Wrote:  Saban's idea will never fly.. The greed of many schools who insist on playing 8 home games will prevent that. Those schools will use the excuse that they need the income to support the Olympic sports. Plus some conferences are moving to 9 league games

What you just said will be the very reason why a 13 game schedule will be proposed very soon.
05-10-2013 08:26 PM
AusTxPony Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
Why don't we just make Mr. Saban happy and put all schools averaging over 55,000 per game in one 32 team conference. That would include 11 of the SEC and some of the other P5s and none of the Go5. Travel shouldn't be a problem since they rake in so much dough. They could play each other and have their own little semi-pro league with 8 team pods. The rest of us could go back to real College football, in geographical conferences, and be happy playing with ourselves. OOps, well you know what I mean.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2013 09:41 PM by AusTxPony.)
05-10-2013 09:38 PM
Freshy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(05-10-2013 02:30 PM)FrancisDrake Wrote:  
(05-10-2013 02:11 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  

Ding!

Ding ding! Loud mouth isn't thinking about the home games he'd have to give up. As it is they can pay the have-nots to come there and never return, the Big5 all have money and are going to want home & homes.

It is actually even worse than that. Alabama won't play a non-conference game without either a very fat check or SEC referees. This is exactly the reason why the Bama-Southern Miss series ended...too many one-score games decided by bad calls that favor an SEC team in an SEC stadium with SEC refs.
05-10-2013 09:59 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(05-10-2013 06:34 PM)kyucat Wrote:  Saban's idea will never fly.. The greed of many schools who insist on playing 8 home games will prevent that. Those schools will use the excuse that they need the income to support the Olympic sports. Plus some conferences are moving to 9 league games

Saban's next move is to tell the SEC that Alabama "does not do road games"...so that by 2016, ALL 8 of Alabama's SEC Conf Games will be played in Tuscaloosa...and if the SEC doesn't give in, Saban said Alabama will leave the SEC for the NFC South.

That has a better chance of happening vs the big boys like Bama giving up easy non-conf HOME games.
05-11-2013 08:35 AM
Advertisement

oasispirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
Granted this is hearsay. However I have a friend that works for an ACC schools athletic dept. He told me approximately 6 years ago that coaches on his schools staff were saying that Nick Saban was cheating at Alabama by getting boosters to funnel money through prospects local churches. I don't know if it's true or not, but a couple of years later is when those kind of allegations came out about Cam Newton (Auburn/Ole Miss but SEC cheating philosophy).

I know it's a stretch to think Alabama would cheat, but I'll be damned if this statement which predated Cam Newton wasn't almost dead on. He likely doesn't have to cheat now that he has it rolling.
05-11-2013 09:17 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(05-11-2013 09:17 AM)oasispirate Wrote:  Granted this is hearsay. However I have a friend that works for an ACC schools athletic dept. He told me approximately 6 years ago that coaches on his schools staff were saying that Nick Saban was cheating at Alabama by getting boosters to funnel money through prospects local churches. I don't know if it's true or not, but a couple of years later is when those kind of allegations came out about Cam Newton (Auburn/Ole Miss but SEC cheating philosophy).

I know it's a stretch to think Alabama would cheat, but I'll be damned if this statement which predated Cam Newton wasn't almost dead on. He likely doesn't have to cheat now that he has it rolling.

SEC Coaches have "funneled" money, especially through black churches, for decades (many times run by recruits fathers).

Heck, just last year...UF Coach Will Muschamp and UGA Coach Marc Richt went head-to-head trying to sign 5-star LB Harvey-Clemons...and it looked like both of them used Harvey-Clemons church and its donation plate trying to influence his decision.

On article of Richt's upcoming visit to Harvey-Clemons church, his Dad mentioned this about Muschamp's recent visit:
http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/01/...l-recruit/

It created quite a stir when Florida’s coach showed up at church last month. “We gave everybody a heads up, and they were surprised to see [Muschamp],” Clemons said. “And the collection plate was equally surprised.”

NOTE: Harvey-Clemons signed with Georgia in Feb 2012...and was just named UGA Defensive MVP from their Spring Practice.
05-11-2013 09:51 AM
jlbphila Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofM
As simple as it sounds, I don't see them cutting out (officially) the MWC and The American. The current bowl structure is signed for 12 years so I'm not sure how he can say its going to happen in 2-5.
05-11-2013 10:05 AM
Freshy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(05-11-2013 09:17 AM)oasispirate Wrote:  Granted this is hearsay. However I have a friend that works for an ACC schools athletic dept. He told me approximately 6 years ago that coaches on his schools staff were saying that Nick Saban was cheating at Alabama by getting boosters to funnel money through prospects local churches. I don't know if it's true or not, but a couple of years later is when those kind of allegations came out about Cam Newton (Auburn/Ole Miss but SEC cheating philosophy).

MSU, not Ole Miss. The scam involved a former MSU player acting as an agent for Newton's father. That player has now been banned from their campus, letter winner's club, and alumni association.
05-11-2013 04:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.