Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

C-USA commissioner likes 16-team league, won't guarantee it
Bookmark and Share
Southern Miss Alum Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
C-USA commissioner likes 16-team league, won't guarantee it
RUSTON — Conference USA commissioner Britton Banowsky said Thursday he likes a 16-member football model, but he said he doesn’t know if the league will expand soon.

Banowksy visited the Louisiana Tech campus to chat with outgoing president Dan Reneau, a long-time friend, and to meet other officials as Tech prepares for its official move to C-USA this summer.

“People that know me know that I am comfortable with large models of conferences,” Banowsky said. “There are efficiencies that grow from a two-division model of eight in each division that’s beneficial.

“I also know that we want to manage the growth in a way that we continue to create stability as opposed to volatility. I’m not sure yet whether we will move to a platform of 16 members, but I know I’ve been asked to model 16, so that’s what I plan on doing.”

NEWS-STAR: Commish looking at 16-team league
05-10-2013 06:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

RE: C-USA commissioner likes 16-team league, won't guarantee it
I think it would just dilute the conference. Don't see the point.
05-10-2013 07:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
(05-10-2013 07:07 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  I think it would just dilute the conference. Don't see the point.

“There are efficiencies that grow from a two-division model of eight in each division that’s beneficial."

That is the point. It would be a smart move. It's one that the P5 will make eventually and other conferences will follow suit or go ultra-regional/small (i.e., 9 teams). The advantages in 16 just aren't that glaringly apparent to fans as they exist mostly in media discussions/negotiations and department balance sheets...which have to deal with 16 other sports in addition to football.
05-10-2013 07:14 AM
LR Eagle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USM
They're such a good idea that the only 16 team conference so far proceeded to break up soon after.

Besides there's really no good candidates to add right now.
05-10-2013 07:18 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

(05-10-2013 07:14 AM)blazr Wrote:  
(05-10-2013 07:07 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  I think it would just dilute the conference. Don't see the point.

“There are efficiencies that grow from a two-division model of eight in each division that’s beneficial."

That is the point. It would be a smart move. It's one that the P5 will make eventually and other conferences will follow suit or go ultra-regional/small (i.e., 9 teams). The advantages in 16 just aren't that glaringly apparent to fans as they exist mostly in media discussions/negotiations and department balance sheets...which have to deal with 16 other sports in addition to football.

What two schools still available do you believe would be beneficial to add to our conference? I can't name one, let alone two.
05-10-2013 07:25 AM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

You have to understand that this is the same commissioner that encourages our teams to go to "bigger" conferences if you get the chance.
05-10-2013 07:26 AM
Advertisement

MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
Absolutely no point. We're already at 14, and only get paid for 12 schools from the BCS..err..CFP monies. Sure why not add to more schools so each school gets even less.
05-10-2013 07:42 AM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

It would only make sense if you added ULL & stAte which would give us good geographic divisions
05-10-2013 07:58 AM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(05-10-2013 07:18 AM)LR Eagle Wrote:  They're such a good idea that the only 16 team conference so far proceeded to break up soon after.

The WAC-16 of the 90's and old Big East are perfect examples of what happens when you grow too large.
05-10-2013 08:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(05-10-2013 08:04 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  
(05-10-2013 07:18 AM)LR Eagle Wrote:  They're such a good idea that the only 16 team conference so far proceeded to break up soon after.

The WAC-16 of the 90's and old Big East are perfect examples of what happens when you grow too large.

What happened to them could happen at 12 or 14 as well.
05-10-2013 08:14 AM
cajunbane Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cajuns
(05-10-2013 07:25 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  

What two schools still available do you believe would be beneficial to add to our conference? I can't name one, let alone two.

Coming from a 0-12 season...you have little room to talk.
05-10-2013 08:17 AM
Advertisement

cajunbane Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cajuns
(05-10-2013 07:42 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  Absolutely no point. We're already at 14, and only get paid for 12 schools from the BCS..err..CFP monies. Sure why not add to more schools so each school gets even less.

Because adding two good schools would actually make CUSA viable again. One more year of finishing behind the MAC or the Sunbelt and you can kiss all that "perception" you hold so dear goodbye.
05-10-2013 08:19 AM
eaglerock Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: myself
(05-10-2013 08:17 AM)cajunbane Wrote:  

Coming from a 0-12 season...you have little room to talk.

Yeah because two 9 win seasons at ULL makes up for the 110 years of mediocrity you guys have provided. All time record 493-519-31. Twelve losing seasons in the last 20. Take you weak ass smack talk to the Sunbelt board.
05-10-2013 08:24 AM
mwp1023 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU
Smartest thing CUSA could do is FIRE BB
05-10-2013 08:28 AM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

(05-10-2013 08:04 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  

Thats bull the big east had its best teams taken it had nothing to do with size. The WAC did not divide into two stable divisions based on geography they had four quadrants. Two of the four quadrants would switch divisions every two years. Its not a valid comparison
05-10-2013 08:47 AM
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU

ULL and ASU. With NMSU's incoming President already advocating for their football program to drop down to the FCS (Idaho might follow suit) and the loss of the last two strong FBS programs in the ones named, the Sun Belt would really be in deep trouble (UL-M, Troy, Idaho, USA and three move-ups). They could look at other programs but with all the issues being forced on to the non-AQ's, it might be a hard sell to get schools to move, leading to the conference being WAC'd.

There really is little value left if they lose their last remaining bell-cows.
05-10-2013 08:51 AM
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers

That's a really stupid way to look at things. "Oh, it didn't work once, well that means it'll never work."

Glad some of the most brilliant minds in history didn't give up after failing the first time. We'd probably still be living in mud huts scavenging for food.

There are plenty of arguments for not going to 16, but the one you chose is the least compelling.
05-10-2013 08:54 AM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
Quote: but I know I’ve been asked to model 16, so that’s what I plan on doing.

I know you guys hate on BB, but I take that to mean the schools have asked the commish to explore 16.
05-10-2013 08:55 AM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
The pot of money from the new play-off system is $12 million max to each Go5 conference. One million per school up to 12 schools max.

CUSA schools now will get $857,000 per school instead of $1,000,000 since we have 14 schools. At 16 each school would get $750,000. So for 16 to work well we would have to see an increase or savings or combo of the 2 that would equal at least $100,000 to get back to the 14 school level and $250,000 to get to the 12 school level payout.

Savings on travel would be a small part of it so some other source of income (media?) would have to become available. If that happened then it would be well worth it. If not then forget it.

I think Arkansas St and ULL would top the list but there might be a MAC school or 2 on the list too as well as Texas St.
05-10-2013 09:08 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(05-10-2013 09:08 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  The pot of money from the new play-off system is $12 million max to each Go5 conference. One million per school up to 12 schools max.

CUSA schools now will get $857,000 per school instead of $1,000,000 since we have 14 schools. At 16 each school would get $750,000. So for 16 to work well we would have to see an increase or savings or combo of the 2 that would equal at least $100,000 to get back to the 14 school level and $250,000 to get to the 12 school level payout.

Savings on travel would be a small part of it so some other source of income (media?) would have to become available. If that happened then it would be well worth it. If not then forget it.

I think Arkansas St and ULL would top the list but there might be a MAC school or 2 on the list too as well as Texas St.
Yeah, so long as the money is there, I'm good with expanding.

I doubt any additions would save more than 250,000 in travel costs though. We're still an airplane league.
05-10-2013 09:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.