Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mid-American Conference, ESPN open to renegotiation four years into eight year deal |
Bookmark and Share
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
Mid-American Conference, ESPN open to renegotiation four years into eight year deal |
05-06-2013 03:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
RE: Mid-American Conference, ESPN open to renegotiation four years into eight year deal |
Yes, it can only get better.
05-06-2013 03:36 PM
nbcards Offline
Special Teams

RE: Mid-American Conference, ESPN open to renegotiation four years into eight year deal |
it cant get worse thats for sure
05-06-2013 03:38 PM
BobL Offline
Heisman

ESPN values the MAC's midweek appearances. The MAC is scheduled to play 11 Tuesday or Wednesday games on ESPN in 2013, plus the league title game.

Most midweek MAC games last season games had a TV rating of between 0.4 and 0.5, according to Sportsmediawatch.com, which isn't on par with power-conference numbers but enough for a handful of top-200 college football performances on the season.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...ights-deal
05-06-2013 03:44 PM
RitzHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
My only bad point is this comes at a time where we don't really have a strong AD in there to assist with the negociations. Hopefully our interim AD can step up to the plate here if he wants the job permenantly.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2013 03:49 PM by RitzHuskie.)
05-06-2013 03:48 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-06-2013 03:48 PM)RitzHuskie Wrote:  My only bad point is this comes at a time where we don't really have a strong AD in there to assist with the negociations. Hopefully our interim AD can step up to the plate here if he wants the job permenantly.

...even worse. Typically the Presidents are a strong voice also.
05-06-2013 03:52 PM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
Dear MAC institutions:

LOOK AT YOUR DWINDLING ATTENDANCE NUMBERS< WAKE THE HELL UP, GEESUS!
05-06-2013 04:43 PM
NIU75 Offline
All American

(05-06-2013 04:43 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Dear MAC institutions:

LOOK AT YOUR DWINDLING ATTENDANCE NUMBERS< WAKE THE HELL UP, GEESUS!

The MAC's eight-year contract with ESPN is worth roughly $1 million per year, according to a league source. Split among 13 schools, that's less than $100,000 per school. Obviously the MAC would like to increase that total.
What are the plus and minus on this contract worth 100k?
05-06-2013 05:08 PM
NIUslumo Offline
1st String

From a weeknight game perspective, I can't envision a scenario where this gets better. ESPN has no interest in signing us up for Saturday games. I'm sure the MAC is saying we need more $ for this, and that's understandable. But, would ESPN be interested in any less weeknight games??? It would surprise me. I have a feeling the MAC will get more $$$ annually and at least have as many weeknight games.

Perhaps ESPN is also angling to get as many ESPN3 Saturday games as possible.
05-06-2013 05:16 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(05-06-2013 05:16 PM)NIUslumo Wrote:  From a weeknight game perspective, I can't envision a scenario where this gets better. ESPN has no interest in signing us up for Saturday games. I'm sure the MAC is saying we need more $ for this, and that's understandable. But, would ESPN be interested in any less weeknight games??? It would surprise me. I have a feeling the MAC will get more $$$ annually and at least have as many weeknight games.

Perhaps ESPN is also angling to get as many ESPN3 Saturday games as possible.

4 more years of this will mean 0 fans left, zilch, nada. Why extend the death march?
05-06-2013 05:27 PM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
If they don't at least TRY to get into the deal that a MAC school gets one game a year on Sat on ESPN 2 they have no negotiation skills. 11am kickoff that is fine.
05-06-2013 05:27 PM
Advertisement

HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-06-2013 05:27 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  If they don't at least TRY to get into the deal that a MAC school gets one game a year on Sat on ESPN 2 they have no negotiation skills. 11am kickoff that is fine.

We get less fans for an 11am kickoff on Saturday than a November weeknight kickoff vs Toledo.
05-06-2013 05:42 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(05-06-2013 05:42 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  
(05-06-2013 05:27 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  If they don't at least TRY to get into the deal that a MAC school gets one game a year on Sat on ESPN 2 they have no negotiation skills. 11am kickoff that is fine.

We get less fans for an 11am kickoff on Saturday than a November weeknight kickoff vs Toledo.

That's because we're playing Tennessee-Martin or Cal Poly on Saturday, and Toledo on a weeknight.
05-06-2013 06:29 PM
JB04 Offline
1st String

(05-06-2013 06:29 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  

That's because we're playing Tennessee-Martin or Cal Poly on Saturday, and Toledo on a weeknight.

Bingo. +1 with the Tenn Martin or Cal Poly on Saturday then the biggest MAC game usually falling on a freaking Tuesday. My wish list:
I will do one weekday game if we have to. Friday nights are a good night though too.
Schedule the FCS (1-AA) team as an in state deal. I don't care what direction or if its ISU...but keep it in state. No use playing East South Dakota Wesleyan
We should always be playing Illinois or Northwestern every year
05-06-2013 07:03 PM
GjlNIU Offline
Bench Warmer

(05-06-2013 06:29 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  

That is a factor, but more students also show up to the weeknight games since they are actually ON campus and not at home.

There are pro's and con's to both. If we compare the Kansas game and the Toledo game both have comparable attendance. The hatred of weeknight games and the attendance issues is a myth for NIU. Sure less of us can make it because of work, family obligations, etc. But so many more students come out to the game.

If DeKalb were exciting enough on the weekend for students to stick around might help attendance quite a bit.
05-06-2013 07:07 PM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
Wonder what a FoxSports1 or NBC Sports would offer?
This current deal is such a joke. Sun Belt is making $1mil/school in their deal.
05-06-2013 07:12 PM
Advertisement

nbcards Offline
Special Teams

one of the problems is NIU is known as a suitcase school not many stay for the weekends. NIU starting in 2015 is forcing sophomores to live in the dorms which might get more students to a saturday game since more people would be in dekalb
05-06-2013 07:15 PM
GjlNIU Offline
Bench Warmer

(05-06-2013 07:15 PM)nbcards Wrote:  one of the problems is NIU is known as a suitcase school not many stay for the weekends. NIU starting in 2015 is forcing sophomores to live in the dorms which might get more students to a saturday game since more people would be in dekalb

+1 Lets hope that makes a difference, I graduated last year. I know when I was in Grant B in '08 I stayed on campus more. (although if I went home it was to do laundry and I'd come back Saturday for the game)
05-06-2013 07:20 PM
Doggone Offline
1st String

(05-06-2013 07:12 PM)HuskieRak Wrote:  Wonder what a FoxSports1 or NBC Sports would offer?
This current deal is such a joke. Sun Belt is making $1mil/school in their deal.

I don't think the Sun Belt is making anything on their deal and certainly not $1 million per year.
05-06-2013 07:58 PM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
(05-06-2013 07:58 PM)Doggone Wrote:  
(05-06-2013 07:12 PM)HuskieRak Wrote:  Wonder what a FoxSports1 or NBC Sports would offer?

I don't think the Sun Belt is making anything on their deal and certainly not $1 million per year.

My bad. Replace Sun Belt with Conference USA
05-06-2013 08:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.