Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

upgrads to Sun Life put on hold
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
upgrads to Sun Life put on hold
Quote:...while political hardball continues between the Dolphins and the legislators in Tallahassee, the Miami Hurricanes suffer the disappointment of losing a major upgrade to their home turf.

LINK.
05-06-2013 11:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

7fielder Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pittsburgh
RE: upgrads to Sun Life put on hold
At least one team in the ACC will continue to have a stadium atmosphere as stale and putrid as ours... along with bright fugly seats!

[Image: fb576315828398-20111102231133.jpg]

[Image: PittGame.jpg]
05-06-2013 11:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(05-06-2013 11:52 AM)7fielder Wrote:  At least one team in the ACC will continue to have a stadium atmosphere as stale and putrid as ours... along with bright fugly seats!

You've never been to a Miami game I take. Pitt's atmosphere is way better on average.
05-06-2013 12:06 PM
7fielder Offline
1st String

(05-06-2013 12:06 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  
(05-06-2013 11:52 AM)7fielder Wrote:  At least one team in the ACC will continue to have a stadium atmosphere as stale and putrid as ours... along with bright fugly seats!

You've never been to a Miami game I take. Pitt's atmosphere is way better on average.

I haven't and I certainly believe you... rest assured both stadiums would look a helluva lot better without those bright seats.
05-06-2013 01:18 PM
TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Miami could really use a 40-45k seat on campus stadium...too bad room seems to be an issue.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2013 02:22 PM by TexanMark.)
05-06-2013 02:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(05-06-2013 02:22 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Miami could really use a 40-45k seat on campus stadium...too bad room seems to be an issue.

I don't know. If they are coming off a 10 or more win season they can get more than 45K in that stadium.
05-06-2013 02:40 PM
Advertisement

4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
Why can't they intentionally reduce capacity for UM games? Totally close the endzones or the upper deck and force the fans together to start to create an atmosphere. Maybe sell the lower sideline by seat and make the upper deck sideline seats general admission.
05-06-2013 02:44 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
When the Marlins fold UM will have a stadium all to themselves.
05-06-2013 06:45 PM
7fielder Offline
1st String

(05-06-2013 02:44 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  Why can't they intentionally reduce capacity for UM games? Totally close the endzones or the upper deck and force the fans together to start to create an atmosphere. Maybe sell the lower sideline by seat and make the upper deck sideline seats general admission.

They do tarp some seats in Miami... probably should do more.

Pitt also looked into closing certain sections a year ago but a group of outraged fans had the administration change their mind. Strange, small groups of outraged fans don't cause the administration a glance on other subjects?

However, in Pitt's case they were too cheap to put tarps up. They were just gonna leave the mass canary colored seats open.
05-06-2013 06:53 PM
Fburghokie Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Va tech
appears it also affects city facilities plans for orlando and jacksonville.

With no improvements, the likelihood for hosting the superbowl is unlikely for at least 10 years.

(05-06-2013 11:21 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
Quote:...while political hardball continues between the Dolphins and the legislators in Tallahassee, the Miami Hurricanes suffer the disappointment of losing a major upgrade to their home turf.

LINK.
05-06-2013 07:15 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(05-06-2013 06:53 PM)7fielder Wrote:  They do tarp some seats in Miami... probably should do more.

Pitt also looked into closing certain sections a year ago but a group of outraged fans had the administration change their mind. Strange, small groups of outraged fans don't cause the administration a glance on other subjects?

However, in Pitt's case they were too cheap to put tarps up. They were just gonna leave the mass canary colored seats open.

[Image: ds2_0291a-lg_medium.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2013 07:41 PM by Hokie Mark.)
05-06-2013 07:16 PM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Isn't the stadium about 20 miles from the school?
05-06-2013 07:28 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
When Davidson College (Davidson, NC, which is about 20 miles north of Charlotte) plays a home basketball game in Charlotte, the school busses every student who wants to go to and from the game.
Does Miami provide that service for their students who want to go to football games?
05-06-2013 07:33 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
(05-06-2013 07:33 PM)XLance Wrote:  When Davidson College (Davidson, NC, which is about 20 miles north of Charlotte) plays a home basketball game in Charlotte, the school busses every student who wants to go to and from the game.
Does Miami provide that service for their students who want to go to football games?

Yes. Free shuttle service provided to every home football game for all students. I think next year will be different at Miami. They're moving the student section and the band to a more logical location (band will be near the 30 or 40 yard line I believe) and they are pushing HARD for season tickets to fill up the "emptiness" on the visitor's sideline. All the games last year literally EVERYONE sat on the home side, which kinda sucked. Next year will be different, esp. w/ UF coming in as our 2nd home game. Should be nice. It's too bad the idiots up in Tallahassee didn't want to improve any stadiums this year.

One more thought - Coral Gables has made it obvious they won't let us build a football stadium near campus so it's not gonna happen. We MIGHT get away with a new Orange Bowl (probably would seat 60-80k, I'd guess - a closer to campus stadium would have more attendance, no doubt, as most of our fans actually LIVE in the Coral Gables area) at Tropical Park, which is sorta close but still a mile or two off campus. However, that would cost a lot of money, and money is one thing the city refuses to spend on UM, even when we use all of ours that we can on campus improvements - which are slowly coming along...
05-06-2013 09:59 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
Interesting that UM didn't appear to offer a single penny towards any renovation despite being a major tenant. But much more interesting is the fact this jacka** owner said he'd pay for over 50% of the cost and now refuses to pay a single dime. I imagine there's quite a bit of improvement he can do to the stadium even without a public handout.

Why would a republican be in favor of such a large a handout?

Why would a real estate magnate claim to have not inspected the condition of the building he was purchasing?
05-06-2013 11:01 PM
7fielder Offline
1st String

(05-06-2013 07:16 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(05-06-2013 06:53 PM)7fielder Wrote:  They do tarp some seats in Miami... probably should do more.

[Image: ds2_0291a-lg_medium.jpg]

Good find Mark... that was one time with our former AD Jeff Long and after Tyler Palko pulled this stunt at the senior bowl after that same season I'm quite certain that our administration "said never again!"

[Image: 5200979909_f4803a40c7_o.jpg]
05-07-2013 09:47 AM
Advertisement

Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-06-2013 11:01 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  Interesting that UM didn't appear to offer a single penny towards any renovation despite being a major tenant. But much more interesting is the fact this jacka** owner said he'd pay for over 50% of the cost and now refuses to pay a single dime. I imagine there's quite a bit of improvement he can do to the stadium even without a public handout.

Why would a real estate magnate claim to have not inspected the condition of the building he was purchasing?

That is stupid. The stadium is owned by Stephen Ross and operated by the Dolphins. Why should UM funnel millions into a stadium we already lease to be a tenant in? That is just plain stupid. Ross may be a millionaire/billionaire but $350 million is a #$%^-ton of money regardless of who you are. It needs to be done somehow.
05-07-2013 01:28 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

One more thing someone on CanesTime brought up. No way is the city of CG gonna let us build a football stadium anywhere in the city, since they will NOT even build a damn overpass-walkway for students over US Highway 1 (the major 8-lane road right beside the university). I know this issue well, I have to walk across that damn road every day it seems like I almost get hit all the time by idiot drivers. If THAT won't get the morons in charge of Coral Gables to do something, there's no way in hell a new football stadium will.
05-07-2013 07:56 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
(05-07-2013 01:28 PM)Ole Blue Wrote:  
(05-06-2013 11:01 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  Interesting that UM didn't appear to offer a single penny towards any renovation despite being a major tenant. But much more interesting is the fact this jacka** owner said he'd pay for over 50% of the cost and now refuses to pay a single dime. I imagine there's quite a bit of improvement he can do to the stadium even without a public handout.

That is stupid. The stadium is owned by Stephen Ross and operated by the Dolphins. Why should UM funnel millions into a stadium we already lease to be a tenant in? That is just plain stupid. Ross may be a millionaire/billionaire but $350 million is a #$%^-ton of money regardless of who you are. It needs to be done somehow.

It's stupid because...you say it's stupid? Considering your "fans" b**** and moan about the stadium all of the time I think it's a legitimate comment. Miami couldn't throw in $10-20M to help it's own fans? But you seemingly failed to comprehend my remarks toward's the owner. If he was going to put up $250 of his own money to begin with, why is he still not putting that money up? He could make 2/3 of the renovations and then lobby the legislature for the rest next year. But no, he refused and is now threatening to move the team and is donating half of his fortune elsewhere (although apparently towards a very noble cause).
05-10-2013 09:24 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-10-2013 09:24 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  
(05-07-2013 01:28 PM)Ole Blue Wrote:  

It's stupid because...you say it's stupid? Considering your "fans" b**** and moan about the stadium all of the time I think it's a legitimate comment. Miami couldn't throw in $10-20M to help it's own fans? But you seemingly failed to comprehend my remarks toward's the owner. If he was going to put up $250 of his own money to begin with, why is he still not putting that money up? He could make 2/3 of the renovations and then lobby the legislature for the rest next year. But no, he refused and is now threatening to move the team and is donating half of his fortune elsewhere (although apparently towards a very noble cause).

No, UM couldn't and SHOULDN'T throw in millions of dollars to "renovate" the stadium. It's an issue with that cheapskate owner Ross, more than anything else, if you ask me. It's not completely done with, as you said, I think they're "discussing" doing partial renovations like moving the seats closer to the playing field sometime soon. It's stupid, all of it. I wish it could just be done.
05-10-2013 09:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.