Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SiriusXM Jack Arute/ACC now overshadows the Big XII...
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
SiriusXM Jack Arute/ACC now overshadows the Big XII...
...so much for the "so-called" Big 4...no as Arute stated it is the SEC and then the B1G.

Myself, I see no real difference between the ACC & Big XII and going forward the $$$$ is going to be around the same....just found his statement interesting...07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2013 09:33 AM by Maize.)
05-04-2013 08:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
RE: SiriusXM Jack Arote/ACC now overshadows the Big XII...
Well, it's true especially if you guys Do get a Network of your own.

That is seriously going to piss off everyone in the Big 12 that is not a Longhorn.
05-04-2013 08:33 AM
JMUDuke25 Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
(05-04-2013 08:33 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Well, it's true especially if you guys Do get a Network of your own.

That is seriously going to piss off everyone in the Big 12 that is not a Longhorn.

But none of them can do anything about it except maybe Oklahoma. That's why Nebraska, Colorado, A&M and Missouri left. That's why the Big 12 is hardly a power and why I laugh my ass off everytime someone here talks about their superiority over the ACC. It's a joke. Texas rules everything about that conference and the other teams are helpless. No one would take those schools except Oklahoma.
05-04-2013 08:37 AM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
Perception is everything in college sports. SEC always had good teams but no one thought of them as dominant. After Auburn got left out of the NCG a few years ago, everything changed. SEC's mission was to change everyone's perception so that didn't happen again. They did this all without tons of TV money and this is where I think the BIG is making a mistake. The focus on money and not improving the product will hurt them. They haven't won a football championship since 2002. Just a reminder, the BIG has the same number of BCS championships as the ACC.
05-04-2013 08:45 AM
He1nousOne Offline

(05-04-2013 08:45 AM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  Perception is everything in college sports. SEC always had good teams but no one thought of them as dominant. After Auburn got left out of the NCG a few years ago, everything changed. SEC's mission was to change everyone's perception so that didn't happen again. They did this all without tons of TV money and this is where I think the BIG is making a mistake. The focus on money and not improving the product will hurt them. They haven't won a football championship since 2002. Just a reminder, the BIG has the same number of BCS championships as the ACC.

I have said it before, the Big Ten mentality at the top is very static. They don't understand the changing landscape all that well. They are slowly coming around but it has taken the conference being constantly ridiculed for their pride to be wounded enough to actually do something about it.

The major signal to this being the case is Urban Meyer. The quotes he puts out there are very significant. Who was the loser in the PR battle between Him and Bielema? Pretty obvious...

What has Urban said about expanding recruiting? He talked about wanting 8 times the amount of money allocated to him for recruiting. He knows what the Big Ten needs to do to be relevant because he has been successful in the SEC. He knows where he needs to go to get certain athletes and he knows how tough it is going to be.

Urban will lead the way and the others will have to get on their horses and ride rather than taking the Traditional Big Ten route of being Fat and Lazy.
05-04-2013 09:00 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: SiriusXM Jack Arute/ACC now overshadows the Big XII...
(05-04-2013 08:37 AM)JMUDuke25 Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 08:33 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Well, it's true especially if you guys Do get a Network of your own.

But none of them can do anything about it except maybe Oklahoma. That's why Nebraska, Colorado, A&M and Missouri left. That's why the Big 12 is hardly a power and why I laugh my ass off everytime someone here talks about their superiority over the ACC. It's a joke. Texas rules everything about that conference and the other teams are helpless. No one would take those schools except Oklahoma.

That was his point about the Big XII...there was a reason why the B1G liked a lot of the ACC schools and if Swofford can pull it off with ESPN the ACC will be right behind the SEC & B1G in regards to earnings.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2013 09:33 AM by Maize.)
05-04-2013 09:04 AM
Advertisement

jaminandjachin Offline
All American

(05-04-2013 09:00 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 08:45 AM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  Perception is everything in college sports. SEC always had good teams but no one thought of them as dominant. After Auburn got left out of the NCG a few years ago, everything changed. SEC's mission was to change everyone's perception so that didn't happen again. They did this all without tons of TV money and this is where I think the BIG is making a mistake. The focus on money and not improving the product will hurt them. They haven't won a football championship since 2002. Just a reminder, the BIG has the same number of BCS championships as the ACC.

I have said it before, the Big Ten mentality at the top is very static. They don't understand the changing landscape all that well. They are slowly coming around but it has taken the conference being constantly ridiculed for their pride to be wounded enough to actually do something about it.

The major signal to this being the case is Urban Meyer. The quotes he puts out there are very significant. Who was the loser in the PR battle between Him and Bielema? Pretty obvious...

What has Urban said about expanding recruiting? He talked about wanting 8 times the amount of money allocated to him for recruiting. He knows what the Big Ten needs to do to be relevant because he has been successful in the SEC. He knows where he needs to go to get certain athletes and he knows how tough it is going to be.

Urban will lead the way and the others will have to get on their horses and ride rather than taking the Traditional Big Ten route of being Fat and Lazy.

Urban could end up being the Saban of the BIG, but then you have to wonder if everyone else is willing to keep up. The top should be fine as always, but I don't ever see Rutgers and Maryland competing. BIG just added two bottom feeders. It just dilutes the product.
05-04-2013 09:36 AM
He1nousOne Offline

(05-04-2013 09:36 AM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  

Urban could end up being the Saban of the BIG, but then you have to wonder if everyone else is willing to keep up. The top should be fine as always, but I don't ever see Rutgers and Maryland competing. BIG just added two bottom feeders. It just dilutes the product.

Um, Rutgers was rated this year. They were beating Louisville whom had to come back at the end of the game to win it. Louisville beat Florida. I don't understand why people are downplaying Rutgers so much. Yes, they dont have much history but they have a talent rich State and they proved last year they could put together a good squad in the Big East. Why do folks assume they will be **** in the Big Ten? In my opinion they are in the much stronger position between them and Maryland. Maryland is going to take some serious work to get it up and running in the Big Ten.

People are making a lot of assumptions about those two schools and their potential 5 years or a decade down the road.
05-04-2013 09:42 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

Urban and Brady Hoke...now if Penn State can keep O'Brien away from the NFL once they get off this NCAA Sanction-(in which the NCAA went way overboard) they will be back as well.
05-04-2013 09:42 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-04-2013 09:42 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  

Um, Rutgers was rated this year. They were beating Louisville whom had to come back at the end of the game to win it. Louisville beat Florida. I don't understand why people are downplaying Rutgers so much. Yes, they dont have much history but they have a talent rich State and they proved last year they could put together a good squad in the Big East. Why do folks assume they will be **** in the Big Ten? In my opinion they are in the much stronger position between them and Maryland. Maryland is going to take some serious work to get it up and running in the Big Ten.

People are making a lot of assumptions about those two schools and their potential 5 years or a decade down the road.

Rutgers really doesn't have a good excuse as to why they are not a solid 8 win program every year.

New Jersey produces a lot of very good Football players and I feel they will be fine under the B1G Banner. Keep the players @ home and into Ohio, Pennsylvavia and keep Florida going is all they have to do.
05-04-2013 09:44 AM
He1nousOne Offline

(05-04-2013 09:42 AM)Maize Wrote:  

Urban and Brady Hoke...now if Penn State can keep O'Brien away from the NFL once they get off this NCAA Sanction-(in which the NCAA went way overboard) they will be back as well.

I also think Gary Anderson at Wisconsin is going to be a surprise too. He has always had to make more out of less. What he did with Utah State was impressive. All the new blood will be good for the conference.

Look for Indiana to shake things up too. They are having an increasing presence at their games, more money coming in and their staff is actually coaching their team to play modern day football, not decade old football. There is a movement going on in the Big Ten but the Big Ten is like a big ole Brontesaurus, it moves very slowly but it carries a lot of weight when it moves.
05-04-2013 09:46 AM
Advertisement

jaminandjachin Offline
All American

If Rutgers had to play Indiana, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa (some years), Purdue all the time then yes they should be successful. The problem is they were put into a division with Michigan, Mich St, Penn St, and Ohio State. The BIG is also going to 9 league games. This puts Rutgers behind the 8-ball big time. At least at 8 league games, they could schedule some patsies to get to bowl eligibility. With the new divisional setup and 9 league games, I'm not sure they'll consistently be bowl eligible.
05-04-2013 09:49 AM
He1nousOne Offline

(05-04-2013 09:49 AM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  

If Rutgers had to play Indiana, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa (some years), Purdue all the time then yes they should be successful. The problem is they were put into a division with Michigan, Mich St, Penn St, and Ohio State. The BIG is also going to 9 league games. This puts Rutgers behind the 8-ball big time. At least at 8 league games, they could schedule some patsies to get to bowl eligibility. With the new divisional setup and 9 league games, I'm not sure they'll consistently be bowl eligible.

I agree, let's look at it.

Rutgers vs Ohio State. Giving them a loss for this one. 0-1
Rutgers vs Michigan. Giving them another loss for this one. 0-2
Rutgers vs Penn State. Toss up, initially they might even get an early win in this series. Giving them a win just to show potential. 1-2
Rutgers vs Michigan State. Another toss up, I think it is a winnable game so I will give them a win even though they definitely wont win this all the time. 2-2
Rutgers vs Maryland. 3-2
Rutgers vs Indiana. They won't always win this but its possible so... 4-2.

Where it really gets questionable is how does the Big Ten spread out the scheduling against them since that game will be a hot commodity for the Western teams. I guarantee you schools like Iowa want that game and they don't necessarily want it to be a home game. They want to be seen over there. Rutgers could end up with some very favorable out of division schedules.

I have them at 4-2 above, add on a 2-1 from out of division and that makes for a 6-3 conference record. That is an incredibly positive outlook on it, I realize that but it's just one scenario. It is possible that Rutgers and Maryland could have good years going forward, Rutgers sooner than Maryland most likely due to their program being at a peak right now.

I don't think people are crunching the numbers enough and doing comparisons. I think it is very possible that Rutgers represents the Big Ten in a Bowl game in it's inaugural season.
05-04-2013 09:56 AM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

(05-04-2013 09:56 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 09:00 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  I have said it before, the Big Ten mentality at the top is very static. They don't understand the changing landscape all that well. They are slowly coming around but it has taken the conference being constantly ridiculed for their pride to be wounded enough to actually do something about it.

Rutgers vs Penn State. Toss up, initially they might even get an early win in this series. Giving them a win just to show potential. 1-2
Rutgers vs Michigan State. Another toss up, I think it is a winnable game so I will give them a win even though they definitely wont win this all the time. 2-2
Rutgers vs Maryland. 3-2

Where it really gets questionable is how does the Big Ten spread out the scheduling against them since that game will be a hot commodity for the Western teams. I guarantee you schools like Iowa want that game and they don't necessarily want it to be a home game. They want to be seen over there. Rutgers could end up with some very favorable out of division schedules.

I have them at 4-2 above, add on a 2-1 from out of division and that makes for a 6-3 conference record. That is an incredibly positive outlook on it, I realize that but it's just one scenario. It is possible that Rutgers and Maryland could have good years going forward, Rutgers sooner than Maryland most likely due to their program being at a peak right now.

I don't think people are crunching the numbers enough and doing comparisons. I think it is very possible that Rutgers represents the Big Ten in a Bowl game in it's inaugural season.

But that's my point. In order for them to be bowl eligible, they are going to have to beat Maryland, Indiana, and at least one of the other 4 EVERY year. It will also depend on who they are matched with on the other side (3 games)..that would be against Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Purdue, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern. If they got Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota...how many wins are there??

The margin of error for Maryland and Rutgers is razor thin. It's quite possible the winner of this game is the only one that becomes bowl eligible. It's also quite possible that neither do.
05-04-2013 10:04 AM
He1nousOne Offline

(05-04-2013 10:04 AM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 09:36 AM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  Urban could end up being the Saban of the BIG, but then you have to wonder if everyone else is willing to keep up. The top should be fine as always, but I don't ever see Rutgers and Maryland competing. BIG just added two bottom feeders. It just dilutes the product.

Rutgers vs Maryland. 3-2

But that's my point. In order for them to be bowl eligible, they are going to have to beat Maryland, Indiana, and at least one of the other 4 EVERY year. It will also depend on who they are matched with on the other side (3 games)..that would be against Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Purdue, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern. If they got Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota...how many wins are there??

The margin of error for Maryland and Rutgers is razor thin. It's quite possible the winner of this game is the only one that becomes bowl eligible. It's also quite possible that neither do.

Yeah, but it's possible! They will land a better bowl in the Big Ten at 7-5 then they did this past season with a 9-3 record. They will also have all the other positives of being in the Big Ten. Are you now arguing that this is a bad move for Rutgers? You are kind of losing me here bud.

If your point is that it is bad for the Big Ten if Rutgers doesn't go to a Bowl often, then why is that bad for the conference? After all, Maryland and Rutgers are replacing some OOC games for Big Ten schools, very likely replacements for FCS opponents. You think those schools are upset about Rutgers and Maryland not being juggernauts?

They will have decent programs that have strong years and weak years just like many other Big Ten programs.
05-04-2013 10:19 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

Well they have 145 years of lousy football. Its logical to think things will not change.
05-04-2013 10:28 AM
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline

(05-04-2013 10:28 AM)bullet Wrote:  

Well they have 145 years of lousy football. Its logical to think things will not change.

Except...that it changed last year and last year wasn't a fluke. The program built up to last year because the School finally wants to compete and statements as to such have been put out by higher ups including the President.
05-04-2013 10:29 AM
Underdog Offline
All American

I Root For: The American
RE: SiriusXM Jack Arute/ACC now overshadows the Big XII...
(05-04-2013 08:29 AM)Maize Wrote:  ...so much for the "so-called" Big 4...no as Arute stated it is the SEC and then the B1G.

Myself, I see no real difference between the ACC & Big XII and going forward the $$$$ is going to be around the same....just found his statement interesting...07-coffee3

Sorry, "the $$$$ is [not] going to be around the same," but still very good....

B1G is making a projected gross of $310

PAC -----------------------------$303

ACC ----------------------------$293

SEC -----------------------------$270

B12 -----------------------------$262

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/01/16/401...-list.html
05-04-2013 10:36 AM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

(05-04-2013 10:19 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 09:42 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Um, Rutgers was rated this year. They were beating Louisville whom had to come back at the end of the game to win it. Louisville beat Florida. I don't understand why people are downplaying Rutgers so much. Yes, they dont have much history but they have a talent rich State and they proved last year they could put together a good squad in the Big East. Why do folks assume they will be **** in the Big Ten? In my opinion they are in the much stronger position between them and Maryland. Maryland is going to take some serious work to get it up and running in the Big Ten.

Rutgers vs Maryland. 3-2

Yeah, but it's possible! They will land a better bowl in the Big Ten at 7-5 then they did this past season with a 9-3 record. They will also have all the other positives of being in the Big Ten. Are you now arguing that this is a bad move for Rutgers? You are kind of losing me here bud.

If your point is that it is bad for the Big Ten if Rutgers doesn't go to a Bowl often, then why is that bad for the conference? After all, Maryland and Rutgers are replacing some OOC games for Big Ten schools, very likely replacements for FCS opponents. You think those schools are upset about Rutgers and Maryland not being juggernauts?

They will have decent programs that have strong years and weak years just like many other Big Ten programs.

My point is they didn't improve the product. When the ACC added Pitt, ND, Louisville, Syracuse it improved the product in football and basketball. When A&M/Missouri went to the SEC, it improved both sports. A&M for football and Missouri basketball.

The Pac10 is still paying for getting Colorado and Utah who have done nothing for the league. I see the BIG getting Maryland and Rutgers in a similar light.
05-04-2013 10:39 AM
He1nousOne Offline

(05-04-2013 10:39 AM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 10:19 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 09:49 AM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  If Rutgers had to play Indiana, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa (some years), Purdue all the time then yes they should be successful. The problem is they were put into a division with Michigan, Mich St, Penn St, and Ohio State. The BIG is also going to 9 league games. This puts Rutgers behind the 8-ball big time. At least at 8 league games, they could schedule some patsies to get to bowl eligibility. With the new divisional setup and 9 league games, I'm not sure they'll consistently be bowl eligible.

Rutgers vs Maryland. 3-2

My point is they didn't improve the product. When the ACC added Pitt, ND, Louisville, Syracuse it improved the product in football and basketball. When A&M/Missouri went to the SEC, it improved both sports. A&M for football and Missouri basketball.

The Pac10 is still paying for getting Colorado and Utah who have done nothing for the league. I see the BIG getting Maryland and Rutgers in a similar light.

Different strokes for different folks. I have said this before and will say it again because it is relevant to this discussion. Markets take much longer to build than football programs.

Texas A&M went from .500 seasons to what they did in the SEC. That was a fluke in comparison. Mizzou didn't impress and if A&M had been the A&M of past years instead of the brand new program of Sumlin's than I don't see how the Mizzou/A&M addition is all that much better. In fact we will see how SEC defenses do this year against A&M. One year can be a fluke, if A&M can repeat that success two years in a row then that is when your point can be made.

We havn't even seen Rutgers compete in the Big Ten so a comparison can't even be made, same goes for Maryland.

Also you have to understand the Big Ten mentality at the top. They are looking to rebuild their major programs. They don't want other programs coming in and taking over right away. They are already loaded with money, they didn't necessarily need to worry about getting flashy programs to come into their existing stadiums in order to help fill seats.

Maryland and Rutgers are fine additions for the Big Ten. We shall see how they pan out but making comparisons right now is just way too early.
05-04-2013 10:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.