Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What will Louisville be like this weekend?
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
What will Louisville be like this weekend?
[Image: 115998-004-13FDADB4.jpg]

Will anybody be there?

What's it like at Derby time?
05-03-2013 04:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
RE: What will Louisville be like this weekend?
Crazy
The sights and sounds of Derby are something to behold. The bars open this morning at 6am and don't close until Monday at 4am. I have a personal tradition that I have observed on three continents. I start drinking at 8am on Oaks Day (Derby Eve) and don't stop until Sunday morning. Usually start out slow with beer and move to SoCo tonight and Juleps tomorrow.

It's a holiday for most folks so drink up and celebrate. You don't have to be from Kentucky to party like a Kentuckian this weekend.
CJ
05-03-2013 04:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

The party has already started. Friday is the Derby's version for female horses, its called the Oaks. Their will be hundreds of thousands at the Oaks today as well. The Derby Balls will start tonight. 04-cheers
05-03-2013 06:34 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
Like CJ & Wilkie said a weekend of partying & BBQ's....schools are out and really a lot of folks off 2day.

Only issue of concern is later on Friday & Saturday Night with the roads and drunken idiots.
05-03-2013 06:44 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

Early 20th century humorist, Irvin S Cobb summed it up eloquently:

"Until you go to Kentucky and with your own eyes behold the Derby, you ain't never been nowheres and you ain't never seen nothin"

As I am we'll into my first case of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, my breakfast beer of choice this fine Kentucky morning, I would like to welcome our new friends from The ACC to make plans to visit Louisville the first Saturday in May next year. You will be welcomed with open arms and when they find out you are part of ACC Nation, you will be treated like family.

I leave you my friends with a final thought on Louisville joining The ACC and Maryland leaving. While The Preakness is no doubt a fine race unto itself, it is and will forever be the second leg of The Triple Crown. The ACC has traded The Preakness for America's Horse Race, The Kentucky Derby, a certain upgrade.

My Old Kentucky Home
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2013 09:00 AM by CardinalJim.)
05-03-2013 07:12 AM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

Another version of My Old Kentucky Home for your listening enjoyment.

Nappy Roots and The Ville Billies
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2013 07:36 AM by CardinalJim.)
05-03-2013 07:29 AM
krux Offline
Banned

(05-03-2013 04:42 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  [Image: 115998-004-13FDADB4.jpg]

Will anybody be there?

What's it like at Derby time?

It's gonna be a lot of this:

[Image: hat288406x010.jpg]

[Image: kentucky-derby-fashion.jpg]

[Image: Zymage%20Derby%205%2042_0.jpg]

Enhanced by a lot of this:

[Image: Woodford_Reserve_Kentucky_Derby_Bottle.jpg]

[Image: Kentuky_Bourbon_Ale_Tahona_Grille.jpg]
05-03-2013 07:54 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
I had five Bourbon Barrel Ales Tuesday night at the Westport Village's Boombozz Pizza Taphouse for Their Taphouse Tuesday drink specials @ $2 a pint. Awesome Ale. 9% abv. Rough the next day though !
Oaks Day pretty good around here. Going to Captains Quarters tonight with friends, up from West Palm Beach. Hope the rain stays away though.
05-03-2013 03:44 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
What time is the race EST? I want to be sure I don't miss it.
05-04-2013 05:55 AM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(05-04-2013 05:55 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  What time is the race EST? I want to be sure I don't miss it.

Post time is scheduled for 6:24pm. If you want to see all the activities that make The Derby special, I would turn it on at 5pm. Remember you need a Mint Julep in your hand as the UofL Band plays "My Old Kentucky Home". Happy Derby to you and yours.
CJ
05-04-2013 06:12 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

Yup....6:24 is the post time...but for myself since I'm a non drinker and somewhat of a health nit it will be BBQ & maybe let myself have a piece of Derby Pie...03-cloud9
05-04-2013 06:18 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

Maize,
I can appreciate that. Derby Weekend is the ONLY time during the year that I allow myself to drink adult beverages before Noon. Yesterday was beer day, today is Mint Julep Day. I hope the weather clears up. Cloudy here in The Knobs.
CJ
05-04-2013 06:27 AM
Villecard Offline
Special Teams

I HIGHLY recommend coming to the Derby if you haven't been. I guarantee you will enjoy yourself. You'll be around 150,00 of your closest friends, you can bet on every race, sip on the finest adult beverages and sneak a peek at some of the prettiest ladies you'll see.
05-04-2013 01:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(05-04-2013 01:16 PM)Villecard Wrote:  I HIGHLY recommend coming to the Derby if you haven't been. I guarantee you will enjoy yourself. You'll be around 150,00 of your closest friends, you can bet on every race, sip on the finest adult beverages and sneak a peek at some of the prettiest ladies you'll see.

How much is admission? Is it general admission? If not, how much are the box seats? Won't make it this year but intend to some day.
05-04-2013 01:27 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-04-2013 06:27 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Maize,
I can appreciate that. Derby Weekend is the ONLY time during the year that I allow myself to drink adult beverages before Noon. Yesterday was beer day, today is Mint Julep Day. I hope the weather clears up. Cloudy here in The Knobs.
CJ

Not knock'n it CJ...enjoy man...it is Party Time in The Ville. 04-cheers
05-04-2013 03:56 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

No problem Maize,
As a Louisville fan and a Proud Louisvillian, I love seeing Papa Johns Cardinal Stadium in the background as they show the track.
Happy Derby
Off to get another Julep.
CJ
05-04-2013 04:09 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Most of Us locals gather family and friends together for Derby parties. Yes UL and UK fans under the same roof and having a great time together.heck we also allow IU fans into the parties. LOL!
05-04-2013 04:15 PM
UofLgrad07 Offline
1st String

(05-04-2013 01:27 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  How much is admission? Is it general admission?

Depends on where you want to be.

Tickets to the infield are $50 each and provide access to the infield only (i.e. you cannot get into the grandstand with an infield ticket). You have to buy these at the gate and cannot get them in advance of race day. The infield is standing room only and offers no real view of the track (you'll be watching the race on a large jumbotron most likely). However, if you want a crazy, party atmosphere with plenty of booze (and nudity), this is for you. Also, there is no dress code for the infield.

Tickets to the grandstand, clubhouse, suites, etc are done by reserved seating. Reserved seating tickets can only be obtained through an online application process and close to a year in advance. Getting tickets this way isn't cheap or easy, but it is your best bet. If you don't manage to score tickets from the online application, then your other option is to buy from one of the authorized reseller agencies. The Club and Box areas are the only locations to have a strict dress code; however, "dress to impress" is encouraged throughout the reserved seating areas

(05-04-2013 01:27 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  If not, how much are the box seats?

Depends on where you want to be. Grandstand seats can range from $250 to $1,200. Club and Box seats are several thousand dollars and up. .
05-04-2013 04:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.