Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conference Realignment from the MAC's perspective....
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
Conference Realignment from the MAC's perspective....
MAC Commish Steinbrecher:

Steinbrecher and other MAC officials seem content to watch other conferences raid each other. They can observe the shuffling in peace because they know those leading their teams aren't content with the past 12 months.

Rivalries, geography, astute coaching hires and similar expenditures has produced stability, Steinbrecher said. The stability has produced big victories in bunches.

"There's an instability in the system because people are changing things and sometimes they are changing things for the wrong reason," Steinbrecher said. "Some folks think that if you change conferences it's going to make your program better. It's not the conference that makes your program better, it's the programs that make the conference better."

"We truly believe the top teams in our league can compete nationally," Steinbrecher said.

http://news-herald.com/articles/2013/05/...=fullstory

05-02-2013 08:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
RE: Conference Realignment from the MAC's perspective....
(05-02-2013 08:24 AM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:   "Some folks think that if you change conferences it's going to make your program better. It's not the conference that makes your program better, it's the programs that make the conference better."

Excellent quote...

The meme that the MAC was left alone "because they sucked" stopped when CUSA started raiding the Belt and the ranks of the FCS..
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 09:48 AM by Bull_In_Exile.)
05-02-2013 09:46 AM
Underdog Offline
All American

I Root For: The American
(05-02-2013 08:24 AM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  MAC Commish Steinbrecher:

Steinbrecher and other MAC officials seem content to watch other conferences raid each other. They can observe the shuffling in peace because they know those leading their teams aren't content with the past 12 months.

Rivalries, geography, astute coaching hires and similar expenditures has produced stability, Steinbrecher said. The stability has produced big victories in bunches.

"There's an instability in the system because people are changing things and sometimes they are changing things for the wrong reason," Steinbrecher said. "Some folks think that if you change conferences it's going to make your program better. It's not the conference that makes your program better, it's the programs that make the conference better."

"We truly believe the top teams in our league can compete nationally," Steinbrecher said.

The only conference that would raid the MAC is the AAC (and that would be out of desperation) because I can see the AAC eventually losing UCONN and Cincy. The only logical replacements are in the MAC in my opinion. However, if the AAC were to lose USF and UCF, then it would probably replace those lost markets with FIU and FAU from
C-USA.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 09:57 AM by Underdog.)
05-02-2013 09:53 AM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(05-02-2013 09:53 AM)Underdog Wrote:  

The only conference that would raid the MAC is the AAC (and that would be out of desperation). I can see the AAC losing UCONN and Cincy eventually. The only logical replacements are in the MAC in my opinion. However, if the AAC were to lose USF and UCF, then it would probably replace those lost markets with FIU and FAU from C-USA.

I don't think the core 12 MAC schools will leave for the AAC because of travel costs. This is just like how they didn't leave for CUSA 2.0 due to travel concerns.

Most of the MAC stadiums are in the 24-28k range without the $$$ needed for expansions or the desire to do so while playing in the MAC. The target attendance for MAC programs is in the 20-22k range as an average which most can hit while winning.

The AAC has 7 members in the East and 5 in the West right now so if UConn and Cinncy left it would probably be 1 in the East and West as replacements. Then you are looking at Rice and ODU most likely. The AAC TV deal with ESPN would also have to be renegotiated downward, a further disincentive for a core MAC school to join.

UMass is chomping at the bit to get into the AAC but they only average 10,000 fans a game and play in an off campus stadium 93 miles away. They are still very much a project FBS school at this point. Other AAC members will probably prefer to build within the footprint to reduce travel costs over adding a FB school from Massachusetts.
05-02-2013 10:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(05-02-2013 10:05 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  

The only conference that would raid the MAC is the AAC (and that would be out of desperation). I can see the AAC losing UCONN and Cincy eventually. The only logical replacements are in the MAC in my opinion. However, if the AAC were to lose USF and UCF, then it would probably replace those lost markets with FIU and FAU from C-USA.
I don't think the core 12 MAC schools will leave for the AAC because of travel costs. This is just like how they didn't leave for CUSA 2.0 due to travel concerns.

Most of the MAC stadiums are in the 24-28k range without the $$$ needed for expansions or the desire to do so while playing in the MAC. The target attendance for MAC programs is in the 20-22k range as an average which most can hit while winning.

The AAC has 7 members in the East and 5 in the West right now so if UConn and Cinncy left it would probably be 1 in the East and West as replacements. Then you are looking at Rice and ODU most likely. The AAC TV deal with ESPN would also have to be renegotiated downward, a further disincentive for a core MAC school to join.

UMass is chomping at the bit to get into the AAC but they only average 10,000 fans a game and play in an off campus stadium 93 miles away. They are still very much a project FBS school at this point. Other AAC members will probably prefer to build within the footprint to reduce travel costs over adding a FB school from Massachusetts.
The old core of MAC schools won't leave for the AAC. They have way too much history together, and the schools are all tightly centered geographically. There's no real financial advantage in changing conferences, since there's little difference in the amount of TV money each conference receives. It wouldn't be worth it, leaving all that history and the short travel to most rivals, for a small increase in money...

UMass has little history with the MAC, and fits better in the AAC. So it wouldn't be a bad move for them. It was the same for Temple, which is why their move made sense. But for the rest of the MAC, it doesn't make sense...
05-02-2013 11:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Underdog Offline
All American

(05-02-2013 11:42 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  

The old core of MAC schools won't leave for the AAC. They have way too much history together, and the schools are all tightly centered geographically. There's no real financial advantage in changing conferences, since there's little difference in the amount of TV money each conference receives. It wouldn't be worth it, leaving all that history and the short travel to most rivals, for a small increase in money...

UMass has little history with the MAC, and fits better in the AAC. So it wouldn't be a bad move for them. It was the same for Temple, which is why their move made sense. But for the rest of the MAC, it doesn't make sense...

I agree.... In fact, if UCONN eventually leaves, the AAC would seriously consider UMASS for its bball. If Buffalo can start winning, it could possibly be considered as a replacement for Cincy if it also leaves. The AAC would probably do better in that market because it can't compete with Ohio st. Moreover, you have 6 other MAC schools in the same state as Cincy to compete with as well.
05-02-2013 02:08 PM
Advertisement

cmufanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: cmu chippewas
(05-02-2013 02:08 PM)Underdog Wrote:  

I agree.... In fact, if UCONN eventually leaves, the AAC would seriously consider UMASS for its bball. If Buffalo can start winning, it could possibly be considered as a replacement for Cincy if it also leaves. The AAC would probably do better in that market because it can't compete with Ohio st. Moreover, you have 6 other MAC schools in the same state as Cincy to compete with as well.

where would UCONN and Cincy go?
05-02-2013 02:29 PM
All American

The ex-CUSA schools out-number Temple and will push for Southern Mississippi over UMass for sure. Adding Tulsa only makes the vote more lopsided and more of a Southwest Conference. Besides, would they really gamble on a team that only averages 10,000 fans last season? UMass isnt ready and doesnt have the votes to get in the AAC. And even if they did take them, it would just water-down the conference even more and increase the chances of the MAC to compete for the BCS bowl bid with MWC and ensure the MAC gets the higher money payout based on conference strength.

05-02-2013 02:39 PM
Underdog Offline
All American

(05-02-2013 02:29 PM)cmufanatic Wrote:  
(05-02-2013 02:08 PM)Underdog Wrote:  
(05-02-2013 09:53 AM)Underdog Wrote:  The only conference that would raid the MAC is the AAC (and that would be out of desperation). I can see the AAC losing UCONN and Cincy eventually. The only logical replacements are in the MAC in my opinion. However, if the AAC were to lose USF and UCF, then it would probably replace those lost markets with FIU and FAU from C-USA.

where would UCONN and Cincy go?

A better question is "Where will the B1G go to add more schools to expand since the ACC has a GOR?" UCONN applied for AAU membership if I'm not mistake. If UCONN becomes a member, it will likely become a B1G member as well. Many have speculated that Cincy could go the the B12 because the ACC GOR has greatly limited the B12's expansion options. The B12 looks like an incomplete conference without a championship game like the other P5.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 03:30 PM by Underdog.)
05-02-2013 02:51 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(05-02-2013 02:51 PM)Underdog Wrote:  UCONN applied for AAU membership if I'm not mistake.
I could apply to be an astronaut, but that doesn't mean my application is going to be accepted.

UConn applying for AAU membership wouldn't be surprising, since its surely over 50 schools that applied, and quite possibly over 100.

(05-02-2013 02:51 PM)Underdog Wrote:  Many have speculated that Cincy could go the the B12 because the AAC GOR has greatly limited the B12's expansion options. The B12 looks like an incomplete conference without a championship game like the other P5.
That's it exactly: the Big12 gives a surface impression, to a casual glance, of being undersized because the other Major Conferences have a CCG. But on the other hand, the big dog of the conference doesn't want to expand to 12, let alone 14, and several schools would object to being put in the East ... with a number having to go into the East if they only expand by 2.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 03:01 PM by BruceMcF.)
05-02-2013 02:57 PM
Underdog Offline
All American

(05-02-2013 02:57 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(05-02-2013 02:51 PM)Underdog Wrote:  UCONN applied for AAU membership if I'm not mistake.
I could apply to be an astronaut, but that doesn't mean my application is going to be accepted.

UConn applying for AAU membership wouldn't be surprising, since its surely over 50 schools that applied, and quite possibly over 100.

True...but if you were accepted, you would have a better chance of flying through the big sky. Likewise, if UCONN is accepted, it has a better chance of flying through the B1G $KY.
05-02-2013 03:18 PM
Advertisement

LostInSpace Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(05-02-2013 02:51 PM)Underdog Wrote:  UCONN applied for AAU membership if I'm not mistake. If UCONN becomes a member, it will likely become a B1G member as well.

AAU membership is attained by invitation only. Universities don't apply. They know the criteria for admission and how their credentials compare to other universities. UCONN, like other major research universities is trying to position itself to be invited.
05-02-2013 03:28 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
(05-02-2013 03:28 PM)LostInSpace Wrote:  
(05-02-2013 02:51 PM)Underdog Wrote:  UCONN applied for AAU membership if I'm not mistake. If UCONN becomes a member, it will likely become a B1G member as well.

AAU membership is attained by invitation only. Universities don't apply. They know the criteria for admission and how their credentials compare to other universities. UCONN, like other major research universities is trying to position itself to be invited.

and Buffalo is already an AAU school.

I can see it now...in a great power move the B1G adds Buffalo and UCONN to get to 16.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 04:20 PM by HuskieJohn.)
05-02-2013 04:18 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(05-02-2013 04:18 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  ... and Buffalo is already an AAU school.

I can see it now...in a great power move the B1G adds Buffalo and UCONN to get to 16.
03-lmfao Now that's funny.
05-02-2013 04:26 PM
All American

University of Toronto is AAU. Big Ten could go global.
05-02-2013 04:32 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(05-02-2013 10:05 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  Most of the MAC stadiums are in the 24-28k range without the $$$ needed for expansions or the desire to do so while playing in the MAC. The target attendance for MAC programs is in the 20-22k range as an average which most can hit while winning.

That's a pretty sad target (when winning) considering the core schools are within a few hours of each other.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 04:57 PM by blunderbuss.)
05-02-2013 04:54 PM
Advertisement

perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
(05-02-2013 04:54 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  
(05-02-2013 10:05 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  Most of the MAC stadiums are in the 24-28k range without the $$$ needed for expansions or the desire to do so while playing in the MAC. The target attendance for MAC programs is in the 20-22k range as an average which most can hit while winning.

That's a pretty sad target (when winning) considering the core schools are within a few hours of each other. Ann Arbor and Columbus.

FIFY
05-02-2013 06:08 PM
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones

That's a pretty sad target (when winning) considering the core schools are within a few hours of each other.

I guess so then again some of us have not been blessed with competing against AQ football consisting of UNC, NC State, Duke and Wake Forest or heck Virginia and Virginia Tech before they went AQ (and thusly have benefited greatly in the past say 20-25 years). Who is traditionally the best in that group NC State?
05-02-2013 07:32 PM
WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wake Forest
Traditionally? UNC
05-02-2013 08:12 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(05-02-2013 07:32 PM)Sultan of Euphonistan Wrote:  

I guess so then again some of us have not been blessed with competing against AQ football consisting of UNC, NC State, Duke and Wake Forest or heck Virginia and Virginia Tech before they went AQ (and thusly have benefited greatly in the past say 20-25 years). Who is traditionally the best in that group NC State?

Don't MAC fans travel back and forth though? That was what I'm confused about.

ECU draws at least 45K for CUSA schools.

Contrary to popular MAC fan myth ECU didn't build on the backs of the local ACC schools or even VT for that matter. We had a series with VT dating back to the 1980's but keep in mind they basically sucked back then and weren't really a draw. UNCheat and NCSU wouldn't even play at our place until we expanded to 43K (1999). They've played AT ECU a combined 6 times of a combined 42 games. Of the 21 times we've played WVU they've only come to our place 7 times. 10 games vs Duke, 2 at ECU. 17 games vs South Carolina, 3 in Greenville. We had plenty of years with only 5 home games in the building process so don't act like there was any sort of "blessing" given to us.

The truth of the matter is we just are getting to the point where we're getting equal home / home series with these local schools.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 09:32 PM by blunderbuss.)
05-02-2013 09:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.