Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Matt Brown article: Who Won Realignment?
westophilia Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Boise State
Matt Brown article: Who Won Realignment?
"With that, we're here to clear up the confusion, set the stage for 2013 -- and beyond -- and look back to see what was gained and lost after three years of wild rumors and surprising reshuffles. Below, conferences are ranked based on loose realignment grades since 2010. They are NOT ranked by football strength for the 2013 season. It's more of a barometer of who won and who lost the realignment game, which has mercifully reached an ending … for now."

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/46250634/

Article ranks with my selected quotes...enjoy!

1 - SEC "Missouri's addition does no harm, Texas A&M's is a big gain, and once again the SEC comes out on top."

2 - B1G "Mercifully, the Rutgers and Maryland additions were worth it if only to eliminate the Leaders and Legends division names after an embarrassing three-year run...

3 - ACC "The ACC isn't going to become the SEC, but it's finally stable, it has a stable of marketable big-name teams, it continues to produce NFL talent and it has a direct line to the College Football Playoff with permanent Orange Bowl access."

4 - PAC 12 "Oh, it could have been so much more."

5 - Big 12 "Hey, it could have been much, much worse."

6 - MAC "The MAC lives in its own happy little bubble, the only conference dancing through realignment virtually unaffected, immune to rumors and interest from other leagues."

7 - MWC "The league doesn't come out as winners, but the return of Boise State and San Diego State allowed it to avoid disaster and continue at the top of the second-tier leagues."

8 - CUSA "Meet the new Sun Belt. Pretty much all of Conference USA's relevant teams - Houston, East Carolina and UCF, mainly -- are gone or will be gone...."

9 - Sunbelt "The Sun Belt lost a lot, but it's not like its profile was that high to begin with."

10 - AAC "Really, it's basically the Conference USA, but don't confuse it with that either."

11 - WAC (link to Kansas song: Dust in the wind)
05-01-2013 10:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
RE: Matt Brown article: Who Won Realignment?
Teams that won the most (football only)

1) Texas A&M
2) Rutgers
3) Tulane
4) TCU
5) Pittsburgh/Syracuse/West Virginia/Louisville (tie)

Teams that lost the most

1) Cincinnati
2) UConn
3) BYU (self inflicted)
4) Southern Miss
5) Marshall

That being said, I think the teams left behind in the AAC lost the most. Then the teams left behind in CUSA. All of those teams got downgraded by staying.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2013 10:29 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
05-01-2013 10:27 PM
westophilia Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Boise State
(05-01-2013 10:27 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Teams that won the most (football only)

1) Texas A&M
2) Rutgers
3) Tulane
4) TCU

Teams that lost the most

1) Cincinnati
2) UConn
3) BYU (self inflicted)
4) Southern Miss
5) Marshall

That being said, I think the teams left behind in the AAC lost the most. Then the teams left behind in CUSA. All of those teams got downgraded by staying.

Id have to say my #1 team for winning was Utah then TCU then WVU then Rutgers then TAMU. Any team going from a midmajor to a BCS league is a big winner. Utah and TCU made themselves attractive by winning on the field to begin with. SLC is a major city yes, but Utah is still a pretty small state (market). The 12 could have gone outside of Texas to get another team but TCU made themselves attractive. Add USF to the big looser list...id say a 3 way tie between UConn andd Cincy for being booted from the glorious and elite world of the BCS leagues.
05-01-2013 10:56 PM
NuMexAg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU
Should add Idaho and New Mexico State to the 'lost' list. Started out in a reasonably competent football conference and ended up homeless, until being given mercy FB-only memberships in the Sun Belt.
05-01-2013 11:12 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(05-01-2013 10:27 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Teams that won the most (football only)

1) Texas A&M
2) Rutgers
3) Tulane
4) TCU

Teams that lost the most

1) Cincinnati
2) UConn
3) BYU (self inflicted)
4) Southern Miss
5) Marshall

Tulane should not be #3. It survived barely. Traded one CUSA for a new CUSA.

The Winners IMHO

1. TAMU
2. Notre Dame
3. Rutgers
4. Pittsburgh/Syracuse/Louisville (tie)
5. WVU/Maryland sure lots of $$$ but one is on an island and the other one makes little sense.
6. All new teams to CUSA/MAC/SUNBELT

TBD:
All CUSA teams that moved to the AAC.

Losers:
I agree with your loser list. But would put Boise, SDSU as honorable mention.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2013 11:21 PM by TexanMark.)
05-01-2013 11:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-01-2013 11:18 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  

1) Texas A&M
2) Rutgers
3) Tulane
4) TCU

Teams that lost the most

1) Cincinnati
2) UConn
3) BYU (self inflicted)
4) Southern Miss
5) Marshall

Tulane should not be #3. It survived barely. Traded one CUSA for a new CUSA.

The Winners IMHO

1. TAMU
2. Notre Dame
3. Rutgers
5. WVU/Maryland sure lots of $$$ but one is on an island and the other one makes little sense.

TBD:

Losers:

Rutgers and Tulane got high marks on my list because they were very bad choices for the conferences that took them.
05-01-2013 11:35 PM
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(05-01-2013 10:56 PM)westophilia Wrote:  

1) Texas A&M
2) Rutgers
3) Tulane
4) TCU

Teams that lost the most

1) Cincinnati
2) UConn
3) BYU (self inflicted)
4) Southern Miss
5) Marshall

Id have to say my #1 team for winning was Utah then TCU then WVU then Rutgers then TAMU. Any team going from a midmajor to a BCS league is a big winner. Utah and TCU made themselves attractive by winning on the field to begin with. SLC is a major city yes, but Utah is still a pretty small state (market). The 12 could have gone outside of Texas to get another team but TCU made themselves attractive. Add USF to the big looser list...id say a 3 way tie between UConn andd Cincy for being booted from the glorious and elite world of the BCS leagues.

If you are measuring moves by impact on ticket sales and prestige I think Rutgers came out the biggest winner.

This is because Rutgers has the potential to be an 800 pound Gorillia playing in an 80,000 seat stadium only IF they are playing in the B1G. The move to the Big East was enough for Rutgers to get into the 50k range after some winning but I don't see how they go bigger without the B1G.

If the main threat of getting players to stay home in New Jersey for Rutgers was the B1G that threat has been removed.

The thing with Utah to the PAC is that the MWC was the perfect conference for Utah to dominate in FB/BB and now it will be a struggle in the PAC. Yes they are getting more money by doing so but they are one of those mid level AQ programs that are taking a hit on the field because of the competition.

TCU's move to the B12 is like hitting a grand slam in the first inning. It looks fantastic right now but what happens in 10 years when the B12's GOR expires? They have no shot at the B1G or SEC in the event of a B12 meltdown. I suppose they could package into the PAC with UT and TT. Would the ACC be interested in TCU after more defections? Probably.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 12:07 AM by Kit-Cat.)
05-02-2013 12:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
(05-01-2013 11:18 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Tulane should not be #3. It survived barely. Traded one CUSA for a new CUSA.

The Winners IMHO

1. TAMU
2. Notre Dame
3. Rutgers

TBD:

Losers:

I know this is supposed to be football only, but I disagree with ya on the Boise and SDSU as honorable mention for losers. Keep in mind that had the move gone through as planned, they would have rejoined the Big West for everything else kicking and screaming. I'd put those two somewhere between TBD and the winners.
05-02-2013 12:37 AM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I think Hawaii was an overall winner. No longer being stuck with NMSU or Louisiana Tech and only having to play at the eastern division MWC teams once every four years. Football only membership with all other sports in the Big West makes everyone happy 04-cheers
05-02-2013 12:41 AM
Poliicious Offline
1st String

I Root For: WildcatsHuskies
The MAC is a winner, only realignment loss was Temple and the conference got a $6M check for letting the Owls go one year early. If Temple had to do it all over again with who is in the AAC now, I doubt they'd spend the $6M as they have no greater chance of landing the one BCS bowl slot alloted to the GO5 being in the MAC than the AAC.

Not realignment related but the MAC also got it's first BCS bowl bid in 13.
05-02-2013 01:28 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(05-02-2013 01:28 AM)Poliicious Wrote:  The MAC is a winner, only realignment loss was Temple and the conference got a $6M check for letting the Owls go one year early. If Temple had to do it all over again with who is in the AAC now, I doubt they'd spend the $6M as they have no greater chance of landing the one BCS bowl slot alloted to the GO5 being in the MAC than the AAC.

6 million? Are you sure about that?
05-02-2013 02:08 AM
Advertisement

jdgaucho Offline
All American

(05-02-2013 02:08 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(05-02-2013 01:28 AM)Poliicious Wrote:  The MAC is a winner, only realignment loss was Temple and the conference got a $6M check for letting the Owls go one year early. If Temple had to do it all over again with who is in the AAC now, I doubt they'd spend the $6M as they have no greater chance of landing the one BCS bowl slot alloted to the GO5 being in the MAC than the AAC.

Yeah, it seems a little high to me especially considering it was Temple and the MAC. That said, the conference picking up UMass and seeing Northern Illinois make the Orange Bowl had to have softened Temple's departure a bit.
05-02-2013 02:35 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

Biggest losers:
1) Idaho-they probably give up soon
2) Rice-lost UH, SMU, Tulane and Tulsa for UTSA, UNT, WKU, MTSU
3) UConn-lost fb and bb conference
4) Cincinnati-not quite as big a loss as UConn who was with all those other schools longer
5) USF

Biggest winners
1) TCU-back with old rivals in big money
2) Utah-loses old rivals, but moves up
3) Rutgers-big upgrade
4) Maryland-more money, state has changed and they fit better in B1G in 2014 instead of ACC as they fit in 1953.
5) San Jose St.-appeared headed for oblivion, now back with WAC 16 rivals.

Most of the AQ movers have incomplete scores. Remains to be seen.
05-02-2013 08:04 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(05-02-2013 12:06 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  
(05-01-2013 10:56 PM)westophilia Wrote:  

1) Texas A&M
2) Rutgers
3) Tulane
4) TCU

Teams that lost the most

1) Cincinnati
2) UConn
3) BYU (self inflicted)
4) Southern Miss
5) Marshall

If you are measuring moves by impact on ticket sales and prestige I think Rutgers came out the biggest winner.

This is because Rutgers has the potential to be an 800 pound Gorillia playing in an 80,000 seat stadium only IF they are playing in the B1G. The move to the Big East was enough for Rutgers to get into the 50k range after some winning but I don't see how they go bigger without the B1G.

If the main threat of getting players to stay home in New Jersey for Rutgers was the B1G that threat has been removed.

The thing with Utah to the PAC is that the MWC was the perfect conference for Utah to dominate in FB/BB and now it will be a struggle in the PAC. Yes they are getting more money by doing so but they are one of those mid level AQ programs that are taking a hit on the field because of the competition.

TCU's move to the B12 is like hitting a grand slam in the first inning. It looks fantastic right now but what happens in 10 years when the B12's GOR expires? They have no shot at the B1G or SEC in the event of a B12 meltdown. I suppose they could package into the PAC with UT and TT. Would the ACC be interested in TCU after more defections? Probably.
I've been saying the same thing about Rutgers all along... 04-cheers
05-02-2013 11:13 AM
LostInSpace Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(05-02-2013 02:08 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

Yes, it was 6 million. Temple's contract with the BE guaranteed that they receive a minimum of 7 million in conference distribution in the current fiscal year. The BE basically agreed to give Temple what would have been WVU's distribution. Consequently Temple didn't hesitate to pay 6 million since they were receiving almost nothing in distributions from the MAC. It was one of those infrequent instances in realignment where both parties benefited from a change of conference affiliation.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 11:53 AM by LostInSpace.)
05-02-2013 11:51 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
You guys are forgetting that ND fended off the Big Ten, re-upped with NBC for ten more years and moved to a great home for basketball, baseball and other sports.

It also got access to the playoffs and Orange Bowl as an independent and access to minor bowls via the ACC.

It moved its hockey team to Hockey East (sort of the SEC of college hockey) and signed a deal with NBC Sports to televise all of its home hockey games.

I think that ND came through realignment in great shape (far better than people predicted during the 2010-12 time period).
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 12:53 PM by TerryD.)
05-02-2013 12:52 PM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-02-2013 12:52 PM)TerryD Wrote:  You guys are forgetting that ND fended off the Big Ten, re-upped with NBC for ten more years and moved to a great home for basketball, baseball and other sports.

It also got access to the playoffs and Orange Bowl as an independent and access to minor bowls via the ACC.

It moved its hockey team to Hockey East (sort of the SEC of college hockey) and signed a deal with NBC Sports to televise all of its home hockey games.

I think that ND came through realignment in great shape (far better than people predicted during the 2010-12 time period).

Meh. ND stayed in place. The fact their football team did well last year helped them out more than any move they made did. I don't see independence as a big benefit for you guys. I know - more money. But without conference championships to play for, its really still 'lose two games' and your season is basically over. You're free to disagree.
05-02-2013 01:08 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-02-2013 01:08 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(05-02-2013 12:52 PM)TerryD Wrote:  You guys are forgetting that ND fended off the Big Ten, re-upped with NBC for ten more years and moved to a great home for basketball, baseball and other sports.

Meh. ND stayed in place. The fact their football team did well last year helped them out more than any move they made did. I don't see independence as a big benefit for you guys. I know - more money. But without conference championships to play for, its really still 'lose two games' and your season is basically over. You're free to disagree.

I am and I do.

There were forces working against independence and trying to lever ND football into a conference. They failed.

Nobody at ND is particularly interested in football conference championships. Never have been, hopefully never will.

Independence is not just about more money, either. In fact, ND arguably could make more money in the Big Ten.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 01:14 PM by TerryD.)
05-02-2013 01:13 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

As long as ND keeps on playing USC, I won't complain too much 04-cheers
05-02-2013 01:23 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-02-2013 01:23 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  As long as ND keeps on playing USC, I won't complain too much 04-cheers

I personally think that will be a series that exists for a very long time.
05-02-2013 01:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.