Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Idiot-proof this please!
Bookmark and Share
jmutoml757 Offline
All American

I Root For: jmu
Idiot-proof this please!
I read all of the posts about conference rumors and realignment, but there seems to be some conflicting information out there. Can someone please tell me, based on substantiated facts and reality, where JMU stands in regard to their conference options and FBS football. I have heard there is a report being done by Carr. I have heard there are cutoff dates to make an announcement. I have heard that announcing too early has an adverse impact on the following season. I have heard that some sports would have to compete in different conferences. Like I said, idiot-proof it for me please. hburg? JMU_71? someone out there who actually knows the process and options-
01-lauramac2
05-01-2013 01:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
RE: Idiot-proof this please!
(05-01-2013 01:10 PM)jmutoml757 Wrote:  I read all of the posts about conference rumors and realignment, but there seems to be some conflicting information out there. Can someone please tell me, based on substantiated facts and reality, where JMU stands in regard to their conference options and FBS football. I have heard there is a report being done by Carr. I have heard there are cutoff dates to make an announcement. I have heard that announcing too early has an adverse impact on the following season. I have heard that some sports would have to compete in different conferences. Like I said, idiot-proof it for me please. hburg? JMU_71? someone out there who actually knows the process and options-
01-lauramac2

JMU has hired Carr. Mentioned in JMU statement after GMU left.

7/1 Is the pay date for CAA members. Announce before then, and forfeit your share of CAA $$$ for the year.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2013 01:42 PM by JMU2004.)
05-01-2013 01:20 PM
JMU_71 Offline
1st String

I Root For: James Madison
Well, I can tell you what I understand to be the truth as of May 1.

Carr is doing a study into whether JMU should go FBS. I don't know if this includes an all or nothing strategy (meaning all sports to an FBS conference) or football only. If we did move all sports, that's a bit misleading because all the sports JMU sponsors are not sponsored by any of the FBS conferences we have a chance of entering. I do not know when the Carr report is schduled to come back, but it seems that I remember reading somewhere that it may not be until September.

June 1 is the cut-off for JMU to join a new FBS conference and be eligible to play I-A football by the 2015 season (2013 would be a year where we would be elligible for the FCS playoffs, but we could not get the CAA's auto-bid. 2014 would be a transition year where we would not be elligible for the FCS playoffs or a bowl game.) If we announce a move after June 1, we would have to wait until 2016.

As soon as JMU announces a conference move, JMU will automatically be inelligible for a conference championship in the sport(s) that are leaving.

If JMU leaves the CAA before July 1, JMU will forfeit the money entitled to JMU from our NCAA tournament appearances.

This is what I believe to be truth as of today. I'm not saying I'm 100% correct; it's just how I see it right now. If I'm wrong, I'm sure plenty will chime in to tell me.
05-01-2013 01:29 PM
jmutoml757 Offline
All American

(05-01-2013 01:29 PM)JMU_71 Wrote:  Well, I can tell you what I understand to be the truth as of May 1.

Carr is doing a study into whether JMU should go FBS. I don't know if this includes an all or nothing strategy (meaning all sports to an FBS conference) or football only. If we did move all sports, that's a bit misleading because all the sports JMU sponsors are not sponsored by any of the FBS conferences we have a chance of entering. I do not know when the Carr report is schduled to come back, but it seems that I remember reading somewhere that it may not be until September.

June 1 is the cut-off for JMU to join a new FBS conference and be eligible to play I-A football by the 2015 season (2013 would be a year where we would be elligible for the FCS playoffs, but we could not get the CAA's auto-bid. 2014 would be a transition year where we would not be elligible for the FCS playoffs or a bowl game.) If we announce a move after June 1, we would have to wait until 2016.

As soon as JMU announces a conference move, JMU will automatically be inelligible for a conference championship in the sport(s) that are leaving.

If JMU leaves the CAA before July 1, JMU will forfeit the money entitled to JMU from our NCAA tournament appearances.

This is what I believe to be truth as of today. I'm not saying I'm 100% correct; it's just how I see it right now. If I'm wrong, I'm sure plenty will chime in to tell me.

Thanks to JMU2004 and JMU_71 for some clarification. So what I hear you saying is that we need to announce before June 1, but if we do so we forfeit NCAA $. Does anyone know how much NCAA $ we are talking or have an idea how much? There are opportunity costs to any decision, but how much $ would make it worth waiting another year, or is there any amount?
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2013 01:35 PM by jmutoml757.)
05-01-2013 01:34 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
(05-01-2013 01:34 PM)jmutoml757 Wrote:  
(05-01-2013 01:29 PM)JMU_71 Wrote:  Well, I can tell you what I understand to be the truth as of May 1.

Thanks to JMU2004 and JMU_71 for some clarification. So what I hear you saying is that we need to announce before June 1, but if we do so we forfeit NCAA $. Does anyone know how much NCAA $ we are talking or have an idea how much? There are opportunity costs to any decision, but how much $ would make it worth waiting another year, or is there any amount?

At least a couple million. Our 2013 units plus the units forfeited by the departing members.
05-01-2013 01:43 PM
brizzock Offline
Galactic Overlord

I Root For: JMU
And, a "decision" is moot of all the seats at the table are already taken. Waiting makes sense financially for JMU---potential conferences just may not be inclined to wait for us.
05-01-2013 01:51 PM
Advertisement

Centdukesfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud
hams is no longer hams, its now oneills. New TVs, same menu. Also, Dunk hasnt been heard from since he went to GFH.

JMU is going to the SEC and will be greeted with love and kisses from our southern brethren. I was elected president in a recount, and am now dating a supermodel.
05-01-2013 02:00 PM
jmutoml757 Offline
All American

(05-01-2013 01:51 PM)brizzock Wrote:  And, a "decision" is moot of all the seats at the table are already taken. Waiting makes sense financially for JMU---potential conferences just may not be inclined to wait for us.

So, my fear and trepidation are warranted? Waiting around while everyone else moves on is as irritating as being covered in leeches like the dude in the directv commercial. The crap I face every time I walk into my local Y from the JMU haters from ODU will continue.
05-01-2013 02:08 PM
brizzock Offline
Galactic Overlord

Eh, we've had fear, trepidation and angst for a long time. Doesn't pay to get too worked up until all the doors are actually closed for JMU. If the SBC added another school, then I'd start to get REAL worried. For now, sit back, have a beer or bourbon of your liking, and enjoy the rumor mill.
05-01-2013 02:14 PM
bulldogg Offline
1st String

(05-01-2013 01:10 PM)jmutoml757 Wrote:  I read all of the posts about conference rumors and realignment, but there seems to be some conflicting information out there. Can someone please tell me, based on substantiated facts and reality, where JMU stands in regard to their conference options and FBS football.

No. Apparently there is not a living soul on this planet who has any idea. Welcome to the dark room. 03-banghead

[Image: See-no-evil,-hear-no-evil,-speak-no-evil.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2013 02:43 PM by bulldogg.)
05-01-2013 02:21 PM
JMU Offline
All American

My personal opinion is that no annoucement will be made before July 1st. There is too much $ to leave on the table from the NCAAT CAA runs of the past few years.
05-01-2013 02:27 PM
Advertisement

JMad03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
(05-01-2013 02:27 PM)JMU Wrote:  My personal opinion is that no annoucement will be made before July 1st. There is too much $ to leave on the table from the NCAAT CAA runs of the past few years.

Agree, but I do think they're playing with fire. While that may be a lot of money on the table, I think it's possible no conference wants to wait for us and we'll miss the boat and potentially lose far more by waiting for the pay day.
Very risky situation and could be one to cost JMU for years to come.
05-01-2013 04:11 PM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
(05-01-2013 04:11 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  
(05-01-2013 02:27 PM)JMU Wrote:  My personal opinion is that no annoucement will be made before July 1st. There is too much $ to leave on the table from the NCAAT CAA runs of the past few years.

Agree, but I do think they're playing with fire. While that may be a lot of money on the table, I think it's possible no conference wants to wait for us and we'll miss the boat and potentially lose far more by waiting for the pay day.

I agree. I think JMU had like a 10 year plan after upgrading the stadium, unfortunately, everthing is happening so fast now and the athletic department doesn't know what to do.
05-01-2013 04:15 PM
JMUETC Offline
1st String

Interesting that this years NCAA run which got us 2 units and our piece may be ~$1M, may actually pay the CAA buy out but also preclude JMU from announcing until after July 1, thus pushing things out a year.
05-01-2013 04:22 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

My opinion is that they will wait if we tell them yes by June 1 but emphatically tell then that no announcement is to be made until after July 1. You cannot convince me that the very day UMD said yes to the Big 10, that the world new at that moment or Texas A&M said yes to the SEC that the world officially new on that day. There will be some high speculation, but confirmation comes when JMU and either the MAC, CUSA, or SB wants it to be official.
05-01-2013 04:24 PM
JMU Offline
All American

(05-01-2013 04:24 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  

My opinion is that they will wait if we tell them yes by June 1 but emphatically tell then that no announcement is to be made until after July 1. You cannot convince me that the very day UMD said yes to the Big 10, that the world new at that moment or Texas A&M said yes to the SEC that the world officially new on that day. There will be some high speculation, but confirmation comes when JMU and either the MAC, CUSA, or SB wants it to be official.

Agree. Waiting appears risky for those not in the know - like us. But for those (I am giving some credit to the Admin, here 05-stirthepot) it is a huge business decision. I think the Sun Belt is having a meeting mid-May. That will be another check point on the situation. If no specifice expansion candidate is announced at the conclusion of that meeting then I would expect that the SB is willing to wait so that JMU can implement our time table, on our terms. Again, all speculation on my part. Just not going to get my pants in a bunch until later this summer.
05-01-2013 04:57 PM
Advertisement

rufus Offline
Special Teams

If we walk away in 2014, then aren't we leaving the CAA's 2014 money on the table? What about 2015? 2016?

At some point it has to happen, unless we are truly committed to the CAA for life.
05-01-2013 10:16 PM
CharlestonDuke Offline
Special Teams

Idiot-proof this please!
(05-01-2013 04:22 PM)JMUETC Wrote:  Interesting that this years NCAA run which got us 2 units and our piece may be ~$1M, may actually pay the CAA buy out but also preclude JMU from announcing until after July 1, thus pushing things out a year.

I thought it was proven that we only got 1 share?

We've got to rip the bandaid off eventually. A delay will cost us C-USA football TV money and possible down 2013/14 football attendance. Plus what of JMU went to the dance again? Would we wait another year?
05-02-2013 05:35 AM
JMU Offline
All American

(05-01-2013 10:16 PM)rufus Wrote:  

If we walk away in 2014, then aren't we leaving the CAA's 2014 money on the table? What about 2015? 2016?

At some point it has to happen, unless we are truly committed to the CAA for life.

My guess is that that 2013 money is so close to being earned (two months) that they don't want to walk away from that windfall. It will help pay for CAA exit fees, etc. For 2014 and beyond they will have to let go or we will be lifers. No doubt.
05-02-2013 06:10 AM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(05-02-2013 06:10 AM)JMU Wrote:  
(05-01-2013 10:16 PM)rufus Wrote:  

My guess is that that 2013 money is so close to being earned (two months) that they don't want to walk away from that windfall. It will help pay for CAA exit fees, etc. For 2014 and beyond they will have to let go or we will be lifers. No doubt.

and it's not simply the 2 shares we earned. It is potentially a windfall as VCU left the remainder of their excellence pool take from 5 shares, ODU their 2 shares, the conference is 9 teams instead of 14 splitting the money etc. It is indeed 8 weeks to what could be a pretty big payday and we're still waiting on the Carr study anyway.

If these are the reasons or this is the thought process, I get it. If it's just foot dragging or worse, then yea. Not gonna be pretty.
05-02-2013 02:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.