Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
B1G Lacrosse? OSU AD says looking to affiliate member
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2013/04/21...nd-twitter

Quote:11W: Is there still a discussion to have a Big Ten Lacrosse Conference?

Gene Smith: There is a discussion. There’s talk about bringing in an affiliate member. The bylaw says you have to have six. Because of the nature of that sport and its growth and Maryland’s success, we’ve discussed identifying an affiliate member and possibly creating a Big Ten Lacrosse Conference.

Perhaps Hopkins is back in the fold, per the earlier rumors.

----
Also, read the whole interview, there are lots of good tidbits on the nature of the B1G's expansion efforts.
04-29-2013 03:51 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

LastMinuteman Offline
1st String

I Root For: UMass
RE: B1G Lacrosse? OSU AD says looking to affiliate member
Any chance UMass is involved in this? I think we're the highest profile program without a conflicting conference affiliation after Hopkins, and we have a history with Penn State and Rutgers.
04-29-2013 05:31 PM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(04-29-2013 05:31 PM)LastMinuteman Wrote:  Any chance UMass is involved in this? I think we're the highest profile program without a conflicting conference affiliation after Hopkins, and we have a history with Penn State and Rutgers.

Could be, but nothing to back that up.
04-29-2013 06:21 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
Im guessing its hopkins. They would be the easiest to assimilate since lax is their only div 1 sport
BTW what is rutgers plans for lax next year? They will be the only AAC team to sponsor it.
04-29-2013 06:29 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
JHU makes sense for the B1G as a MD playmate and if they get involved with the Research Angle of it.

JHU makes sense to the ACC for every other reason.
04-29-2013 06:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(04-29-2013 06:40 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  JHU makes sense for the B1G as a MD playmate and if they get involved with the Research Angle of it.

JHU makes sense to the ACC for every other reason.

The Maryland-Hopkins game will happen regardless of conference affiliation, but yes the ACC makes more sense.
04-29-2013 07:16 PM
Advertisement

TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
Why doesn't another b10 pony up and start their own?
Surely they can afford it.
04-29-2013 07:41 PM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(04-29-2013 07:41 PM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  Why doesn't another b10 pony up and start their own?

Need another team to step up and get around title ix issues
04-29-2013 07:42 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
(04-29-2013 06:29 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  Im guessing its hopkins. They would be the easiest to assimilate since lax is their only div 1 sport
BTW what is rutgers plans for lax next year? They will be the only AAC team to sponsor it.

associate membership with the Big East? They haven't said much about finding affiliates for individual sports but I think they'd make a 1 year exception here for Rutgers lacrosse. Otherwise it's independence for them.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2013 08:15 PM by jdgaucho.)
04-29-2013 08:13 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Men's Lacrosse (5)
Maryland
Michigan
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers

Women's Lacrosse (6)
Maryland
Michigan
Northwestern
Rutgers
Ohio State
Penn State

Any one of Illinois, Iowa, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Wisconsin could add both a men's and women's team to get the Big Ten to six in men's lacrosse.

Florida, Johns Hopkins, and Vanderbilt team up with the Big East/AAC (Connecticut, Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, Temple) to reload the American Lacrosse Conference on the women's side.

The CAA and Big East raid the ECAC (Air Force, Bellarmine, Denver, Fairfield, Hobart) for lacrosse affiliates on the men's side.
04-29-2013 08:22 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
I'd imagine they admit Hopkins for lacrosse and add them to the CIC while they're at it.

As for Rutgers next year, I too am wondering what our plans are. We may just be doing the independent thing for a year. We probably already have several OOC matchups scheduled anyway. Perhaps a few of our new colleagues and/or a few of the Big East schools can help us with the 6 open dates we'd have.
04-29-2013 08:46 PM
Advertisement

gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
(04-29-2013 08:46 PM)brista21 Wrote:  I'd imagine they admit Hopkins for lacrosse and add them to the CIC while they're at it.

As for Rutgers next year, I too am wondering what our plans are. We may just be doing the independent thing for a year. We probably already have several OOC matchups scheduled anyway. Perhaps a few of our new colleagues and/or a few of the Big East schools can help us with the 6 open dates we'd have.

Rutgers should just stick around for BE LAX for a year. Then they go off to the B1G including LAX. Same should happen with other schools and sports such as WLAX and field hockey
04-29-2013 09:05 PM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

From what I understand the AAC and BE will both have schools with sports that the conferences aren't planning to sponsor. We will probably see the schools crossing over both ways as affiliate members for some sports. RU either plays BE Lax for one year or goes Indy.
04-29-2013 09:13 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

Donators
(04-29-2013 09:13 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  From what I understand the AAC and BE will both have schools with sports that the conferences aren't planning to sponsor. We will probably see the schools crossing over both ways as affiliate members for some sports. RU either plays BE Lax for one year or goes Indy.

After some poking around it appears as that its pretty widely expected that Rutgers will continue to be with Big East Lacrosse next year for both the men's and women's teams.
04-29-2013 09:39 PM
BirdstheWord Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ISU
(04-29-2013 07:42 PM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  
(04-29-2013 07:41 PM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  Why doesn't another b10 pony up and start their own?

Need another team to step up and get around title ix issues

One men's team, one woman's team.
04-29-2013 09:44 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(04-29-2013 09:05 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  Rutgers should just stick around for BE LAX for a year. Then they go off to the B1G including LAX. Same should happen with other schools and sports such as WLAX and field hockey
That's what was said when the New Big East was rolled out, and what Lacrosse Magazine says ... Rutgers will play in the New Big East Lacrosse conference next year.

They'd be likely to stay until/unless the Big Ten either gets an affiliate member or a sixth men's Lacrosse team, at which point they would join the Big Ten Lacrosse conference.

Ice Hockey went years at five, with Big Ten teams spread across the CCHA and WCHA, and then when Penn State got a donor to fund the ice, they immediately started the ball rolling on the Big Ten ice hockey league, which then set off the conference realignment in ice hockey that we saw roll out over the past year, with the CCHA folding, the NCHA forming, Notre Dame heading to Hockey East and everyone else from the WCHA and CCHA ending up in the WCHA.

The Big Ten forming a LAX league with JHU as an affiliate would not have as dramatic impact, as JHU is an independent, the ACC has traditionally neither had nor depended on AQ status and the conference that Penn State and the Buckeyes have been in do not depend on that member for their AQ status. The biggest question mark would be how the New Big East would maintain their AQ status.
04-29-2013 09:44 PM
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
Is this where the ACC guys and future ACC guys tell us that the CIC will have zero affect on what decision JHU might actually make if they decide to move to one or the other?

Saying that the Big Ten only has LaCrosse to offer to JHU is just downright silly and childish.

All JHU needs from one of the Majors is LaCrosse. JHU is in the top 5 research institutions. I am pretty sure that is their priority even above LaCrosse.

The ACC has some impressive research institutions but it is not the Big Ten in that regard.

The Big Ten will be making more money. The Big Variable in all of this will be what exactly the Big Ten offers JHU so that they don't indeed choose the ACC if they do decide to make the move upwards.
04-29-2013 10:05 PM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(04-29-2013 10:05 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Is this where the ACC guys and future ACC guys tell us that the CIC will have zero affect on what decision JHU might actually make if they decide to move to one or the other?

Saying that the Big Ten only has LaCrosse to offer to JHU is just downright silly and childish.

All JHU needs from one of the Majors is LaCrosse. JHU is in the top 5 research institutions. I am pretty sure that is their priority even above LaCrosse.

The ACC has some impressive research institutions but it is not the Big Ten in that regard.

The Big Ten will be making more money. The Big Variable in all of this will be what exactly the Big Ten offers JHU so that they don't indeed choose the ACC if they do decide to make the move upwards.

I can't take this post seriously until you fix the C in lacrosse.
04-29-2013 10:09 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(04-29-2013 10:09 PM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  
(04-29-2013 10:05 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Is this where the ACC guys and future ACC guys tell us that the CIC will have zero affect on what decision JHU might actually make if they decide to move to one or the other?

I refuse to conform. You will just have to stomach that bile and deal with it I guess. After all...I am an Iowa guy right? Lucky I am even bothering to talk about LaCrosse, let alone admit that it actually matters in this small neighborhood of the realignment world.
04-29-2013 10:25 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(04-29-2013 10:25 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(04-29-2013 10:09 PM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  

I refuse to conform. You will just have to stomach that bile and deal with it I guess. After all...I am an Iowa guy right? Lucky I am even bothering to talk about LaCrosse, let alone admit that it actually matters in this small neighborhood of the realignment world.

Did you read my first post in this thread? This thread isn't going well for you: missed my post throwing your theory in the crapper and proved your knowledge and respect of the Lacrosse is nil. The game has great significance to those who reside in Upstate NY and was a gift from the Iroquois.

For a guy who doesn't care about the ACC you sure seem to obsess over it.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2013 11:13 PM by TexanMark.)
04-29-2013 11:12 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.