Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New WBB recruit
Bookmark and Share
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
MyBB New WBB recruit
Ryan Autullo ‏@AutulloBlade Wrote:Toledo has landed Spanish PG Elena De Alfredo. Her profile from European Championship page: http://u18women.fibaeurope.com/en/cid_Fl2zSEHHI4kx84gqwW40U3.playerID_77329.compID_uHP8sHguJSYAvKyuMkarZ1.season_2012.roundID_8796.teamID_362.html …

Will she be here in the fall? In a year?
04-28-2013 06:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

RE: New WBB recruit
Ryan Autullo ‏@AutulloBlade Wrote:New UT recruit Alfredo will be a freshman in fall. Rockets will have three international players in 2013-14. Maybe more? Stay tuned.

Man, I'm glad our recruiting 'sucks'
04-28-2013 06:44 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(04-28-2013 06:44 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  
Ryan Autullo ‏@AutulloBlade Wrote:New UT recruit Alfredo will be a freshman in fall. Rockets will have three international players in 2013-14. Maybe more? Stay tuned.

As always, we'll see. Coach mentioned a new PG from Europe about whom she couldn't speak. I'm not sure this is the same one but I suspect it is. There has been nothing wrong with our overseas recruiting thus far, that's for sure.
04-28-2013 07:43 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Cullop did tweet that she had two recruits in over this weekend.
04-28-2013 07:58 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
http://vimeo.com/50472752

Looks like a pure 3 point shooter. Stats say she has consistently averaged over 40% from 3 point land. Wow.
04-28-2013 08:08 PM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-28-2013 06:44 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  

Few things in this life are absolutes and people should learn to deal with the entire spectrum of shades of gray rather than try to reduce everything to an absolute black or white--but most people are intellectually too lazy to make that effort---it seems to be human nature to simplify beyond all reason.

You can get a clue about future performance from past performance but IMHO you can't really judge a recruit until you see how much they contribute to the team under game conditions. Some are going be outstanding, some will rarely see the floor in four years and the rest will be somewhere in between.
04-28-2013 08:56 PM
Advertisement

NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
I don't recall every seeing such an accurate jump-shot put shot as Elena possesses.
04-28-2013 09:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

Elena played with Inma in 2010 on Spain's U18 International tournament team.
04-28-2013 09:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

Having successful foreign players will only help Tricia recruit even more foreign players. When they see how welcoming and accepting UT is to them, they will know that this is the place to be.
04-28-2013 09:25 PM
T4C8 Offline
T4C8

I Root For: U of Toledo
Well, in my mind this will be an upgrade over hayes. and we new carver was leaving. so no we just need a replacement for Nunn. athletic juco 4/5 player that can get some boards is what i think we need
04-28-2013 10:38 PM
rocket 51 Offline
1st String

TC definitely has her sights on the foreign talent and must feel that the "Under something" European leagues adds a dimention to the talent development that our AAU system might not offer. Great by me...look at some of the major league mens programs with a foreign pipline...down side is recruits might feel a little pressured to produce very quickly or end up at the bottom of our playing time food chain. Thinking that definitly has its up side !!!04-bow
04-29-2013 05:40 AM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(04-29-2013 05:40 AM)rocket 51 Wrote:  TC definitely has her sights on the foreign talent and must feel that the "Under something" European leagues adds a dimention to the talent development that our AAU system might not offer. Great by me...look at some of the major league mens programs with a foreign pipline...down side is recruits might feel a little pressured to produce very quickly or end up at the bottom of our playing time food chain. Thinking that definitly has its up side !!!04-bow

With Aparacio we will have at least three players from Spain on the M and W teams.
04-29-2013 06:22 AM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
I really don't like the trend of young players leaving on both men and women's team over playing time. Yes you might have to wait your turn, this is DI basketball, there are good players throughout the rosters. Maybe you need to sit and learn the game from college level coaching and practice against players who all were starters on their HS teams. Stay and work for your playing time. It comes off as immature. "Whaa, I'm not starting as a freshman, so I'm outta here, whaaaa." Maybe if you stick it out, you might learn something.
04-29-2013 02:08 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I do have some concerns about bringing in too many foreign players. Not that Naama wasn't great and Inma should be too. What I'm getting at is, are we bringing these players in because we can't get quality players in the U.S.? Now if we're bringing in elite players like the Gonzaga men's team, it's one thing. But if we can't go head-to-head with the teams we need to beat in the MAC (BG,Central,Ball St,Akron) with our facilities, history and fan base-then something's wrong.[/b]
04-29-2013 03:42 PM
NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-29-2013 03:42 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  I do have some concerns about bringing in too many foreign players. Not that Naama wasn't great and Inma should be too. What I'm getting at is, are we bringing these players in because we can't get quality players in the U.S.? Now if we're bringing in elite players like the Gonzaga men's team, it's one thing. But if we can't go head-to-head with the teams we need to beat in the MAC (BG,Central,Ball St,Akron) with our facilities, history and fan base-then something's wrong.[/b]

IMO Inma is already great and will continue to improve.
04-29-2013 04:28 PM
Dwight Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rockets
(04-29-2013 03:42 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  I do have some concerns about bringing in too many foreign players. Not that Naama wasn't great and Inma should be too. What I'm getting at is, are we bringing these players in because we can't get quality players in the U.S.? Now if we're bringing in elite players like the Gonzaga men's team, it's one thing. But if we can't go head-to-head with the teams we need to beat in the MAC (BG,Central,Ball St,Akron) with our facilities, history and fan base-then something's wrong.[/b]

What's the difference? If we're getting players who are helping us succeed, does it matter where they're from? I'm sure other MAC schools would love to have landed Shafir or Zanoguerra, so I guess they can't go head to head with us abroad. If our Spanish players are better than their Ohio and Michigan players, I'll be satisfied.
04-29-2013 04:53 PM
Advertisement

DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-29-2013 04:53 PM)Dwight Wrote:  

What's the difference? If we're getting players who are helping us succeed, does it matter where they're from? I'm sure other MAC schools would love to have landed Shafir or Zanoguerra, so I guess they can't go head to head with us abroad. If our Spanish players are better than their Ohio and Michigan players, I'll be satisfied.

You're missing the point. I said if we're forced to go overseas because we can't compete with top MAC schools for players, THEN it's a problem.
04-29-2013 05:21 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
I don't see that we aren't competing with MAC schools for top talent. Sure, there are some good or even great players at other MAC schools, but I don't believe there is any other MAC school that top-to-bottom has better talent than UT. No school can win every recruits attention.

But, in general it is much harder to get top players in the women's game. The overall pool of talent is no where near as deep as in MBB. That combined with the 15 scholarships means that the big name schools can squirrel away more of the top players keeping them away from the mid-majors. So, I think recruiting internationally is a smart move. When I was in school Toledo had a huge international student population (I understand that has diminished lately) and that's cause we actively recruited students overseas. I never understood why we didn't send a coach or two on that trips and recruit a few basketball players along the way.

And it's great advertising for the university as they are trying to make UT a name with much more national and international recognition. Toledo (a city with a Spanish name) is going to get a lot of recognition in Spain over the next couple years, and who knows where that can lead. International students, international research collaborations, who knows.
04-29-2013 05:47 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

(04-29-2013 02:08 PM)emanoh Wrote:  I really don't like the trend of young players leaving on both men and women's team over playing time. Yes you might have to wait your turn, this is DI basketball, there are good players throughout the rosters. Maybe you need to sit and learn the game from college level coaching and practice against players who all were starters on their HS teams. Stay and work for your playing time. It comes off as immature. "Whaa, I'm not starting as a freshman, so I'm outta here, whaaaa." Maybe if you stick it out, you might learn something.

Well this is what college basketball has become. Because of AAU, all players think they are a star and deserve to start right away. If they don't get their way and aren't treated like a star, they want out. Why else is the transfer rate in MBB so high? Around 40% of players transfer within the first 2 years.
04-29-2013 06:23 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

Guys left all the time when I was in school. Nothing's changed except we added a new gender of dissatisfied players. It does seem weird to wipe out an entire recruiting class in one year.
04-29-2013 09:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.