Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Realignment Speculation. "Not Factual!!!"
Mestophalies Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF

So with the ACC's new grant of rights in place, that should remove any further teams of the ACC from other conferences raiding lists.

So whom do you think will be the next targets?

B1G
I think the B1G is still trying to get to 16. I think they may go for UConn, (New member of the AAU) and Temple, (Temple to secure a greater place in the Philly Market Place).

Big XII
I think the Big XII will expand to 12 to meet the new Playoff Criteria. I think they may go for a foot hold in Florida as well. Now with FSU off the table, I think they may actually look at USF and UCF which combine for the 4th largest market in the US. They are also natural rivals by proximity and they are in the center of the state not to mention both have large enrollments and alumnus base local to the schools.

SEC
The SEC needn't move at all however, If they do decide to expand, I believe they may be looking at Houston to pair with aTm in Texas. The second team I believe may be om their radar is ECU. ECU has the same atmosphere as many of the SEC's current teams on game day and their fans attend games. Memphis would be a great fit to enhance their Basketball but I think that Tenn will Blackball them until judgement day.

PAC 12
Again, the PAC 12 needn't do anything. I'm also thinking that they are low on options do to the GOR in the Big XII and the LHN. If PAC 12 does make a move, it may be involve UNLV + Nevada, Colorado St + AirForce or SDSU + Fresno St. The PAC 12 likes to take two teams per state thus my options here followed their model. The PAC may look at Houston + SMU but Houston would rather play east and thus the SEC would be their hands down choice.

Every thing is just MHO and nothing more. 04-cheers
04-28-2013 12:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

kobe Offline
Banned

I Root For: UofL/Miami (OH)
RE: Realignment Speculation. "Not Factual!!!"
You know there is a realignment board for this sort of garbage?
04-28-2013 12:32 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
B1G - They already dominate those markets with Rutgers and Penn State, I find Kansas and Mizzou MUCH more likely.
BXII - It's a pipe dream and you know it
SEC - Texas is more likely to get an invite to the SEC than Houston, and would make much more sense.
P12 - Agree, kinda. Pac is really in a corner right now. Not a desperate one, but their expansion targets are limited. Best options are BYU, SDSU, UNLV... that's it.
04-28-2013 12:40 PM
JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
If the BIG12 expands it will be for Tulane. Duh. By then we'll have had 2 winning seasons in a row.
04-28-2013 12:50 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(04-28-2013 12:31 PM)Mestophalies Wrote:  Realignment Speculation. "Not Factual!!!"

So with the ACC's new grant of rights in place, that should remove any further teams of the ACC from other conferences raiding lists.

B1G
I think the B1G is still trying to get to 16. I think they may go for UConn, (New member of the AAU) and Temple, (Temple to secure a greater place in the Philly Market Place).

Big XII
I think the Big XII will expand to 12 to meet the new Playoff Criteria. I think they may go for a foot hold in Florida as well. Now with FSU off the table, I think they may actually look at USF and UCF which combine for the 4th largest market in the US. They are also natural rivals by proximity and they are in the center of the state not to mention both have large enrollments and alumnus base local to the schools.

SEC
The SEC needn't move at all however, If they do decide to expand, I believe they may be looking at Houston to pair with aTm in Texas. The second team I believe may be om their radar is ECU. ECU has the same atmosphere as many of the SEC's current teams on game day and their fans attend games. Memphis would be a great fit to enhance their Basketball but I think that Tenn will Blackball them until judgement day.

PAC 12
Again, the PAC 12 needn't do anything. I'm also thinking that they are low on options do to the GOR in the Big XII and the LHN. If PAC 12 does make a move, it may be involve UNLV + Nevada, Colorado St + AirForce or SDSU + Fresno St. The PAC 12 likes to take two teams per state thus my options here followed their model. The PAC may look at Houston + SMU but Houston would rather play east and thus the SEC would be their hands down choice.

B-10 = NO - If UConn goes anywhere it will be to the ACC if ND decides to go in for all sports. So UConn unfortunately stays in the AAC for the foreseeable future. Temple to the B-10 = absolutely no way even if Penn St and Rutgers didn't have the market already. I like Temple but the AAC is their home forever unless it dissolves.

SEC = Houston, ECU, and Memphis 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao All I have to say about that.

Pac 12 = Texas and a Texas traveling buddy, and Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. or they sit tight. They are sitting tight.

B-12 = Conference most likely to blow up now again now that the ACC has the GOR into the late 2020's. Bevo's roving eyes and Oklahoma's hot line to Bevo keep that conference on edge. If they up and leave this conference will be about as stable as the WAC, SB, Cusa, MWC, and the AAC. WV needs a school to cut the distance to their island. Cinn may fill that gap. Number 12 if this conference goes to 12 would take BYU into consideration again. Bevo doesn't like to share so I really don't see any movement from this conference unless the money meter takes a meteoric jump. No one around to add that kind of jump now that FSU, Miami, and Clemson are no longer available.
04-28-2013 01:06 PM
Underdog Offline
All American

I Root For: The American
(04-28-2013 12:50 PM)JDTulane Wrote:  If the BIG12 expands it will be for Tulane. Duh. By then we'll have had 2 w[h]in*ing seasons in a row.

You made it too easy my friend.... 03-wink
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2013 02:24 PM by Underdog.)
04-28-2013 01:15 PM
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
With the GOR issues in the B12 and ACC I have wondered if it makes sense for the B1G to try something like Missouri and UConn in 2016 when the next TV contract is up.

Missouri would be an instant rival for Nebraska, Illinois and Iowa. I just think they are too north to work in the SEC. They need regional schools to help fill the stadium. Plus Missouri is a fairly large state on the chessboard.

UConn is the the best supported school in New England and owns the entire Connecticut market for athletics. That is what the B1G likes, markets with little competition. Connecticut is the most highly populated state non represented in an AQ conference at this time.

One concern I guess with Missouri is the B1G doesn't need them for the St.Louis market when they have Illinois and can get the Kansas City market with Kansas. Does it make sense for the B1G to try and pull Kansas out of its GOR? Can they leave if they pay damages?

Kansas leaving the B12 doesn't impact the value of the B12 TV contract by very much, maybe 2 million a year at that. If Kansas owed the B12 2 million a year from 2016-2023 that would be only 14-16 million dollars owed in damages.
04-28-2013 01:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
templefan1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(04-28-2013 01:41 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  With the GOR issues in the B12 and ACC I have wondered if it makes sense for the B1G to try something like Missouri and UConn in 2016 when the next TV contract is up.

Missouri would be an instant rival for Nebraska, Illinois and Iowa. I just think they are too north to work in the SEC. They need regional schools to help fill the stadium. Plus Missouri is a fairly large state on the chessboard.

UConn is the the best supported school in New England and owns the entire Connecticut market for athletics. That is what the B1G likes, markets with little competition. Connecticut is the most highly populated state non represented in an AQ conference at this time.

One concern I guess with Missouri is the B1G doesn't need them for the St.Louis market when they have Illinois and can get the Kansas City market with Kansas. Does it make sense for the B1G to try and pull Kansas out of its GOR? Can they leave if they pay damages?

Kansas leaving the B12 doesn't impact the value of the B12 TV contract by very much, maybe 2 million a year at that. If Kansas owed the B12 2 million a year from 2016-2023 that would be only 14-16 million dollars owed in damages.

I stopped reading as soon as i saw Temple and the BIG 10 in the same sentence...
04-28-2013 01:49 PM
DonnyMost Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Reason
People really need to get over the thought that just because there's a GOR in place it means that conferences are going to give up targeting much more desirable programs. No conference with any ounce of competent leadership is going to look at a 10 year GOR and say, "well shucks, I guess we should invite program X instead even though they bring a whole lot less to the table." Decisions like that virtually never happen. Conferences don't look for filler and space holders. They look for value additions.

B1G - My best guess is it will add KU in 2025 as well as either Mizzou or UConn, but not both. Mizzou may turn it down (which would be interesting, because they wanted in the B1G badly before finally going with the SEC), UConn, of course, would not.

Big XII - They will chase FSU (possibly Miami) and Clemson hard (root hard for this to happen, USF/UCF fans, as it punches your ticket into the ACC). I think Louisville and Cincinnati will end up being the adds after that falls through. If there's any kind of room left at the end of the day (from a possible KU defection), Houston and possibly Memphis will be serious candidates to fill out the league.

SEC - Texas A&M surely doesn't want another Texas school in the league. If Mizzou defects for the B1G, you have to think serious overtures will be made to Virginia Tech and NC State. The only way I see anything major happening is if the Big 12 implodes (i.e. Texas goes Indy), then Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will march happily into the arms of the SEC (provided their Big 8 brothers have somewhere safe to land). Then Mizzou can be put into the Western division, and the East-West divide will begin at the Alabama/Mississippi border. Works out quite nicely, actually. Too bad it's not going to happen.

Pac 12 - LOL. Nope.

Bottom line; nothing is going to happen until the GORs start to end. The only thing that really has a remote chance of happening before then Cincinnati and UConn leaving the AAC. I see the first domino falling in 2025 being the expansion of the B1G. All other moves will fall into place after that.
04-28-2013 01:59 PM
Underdog Offline
All American

My comments are in bold font:

(04-28-2013 12:31 PM)Mestophalies Wrote:  Realignment Speculation. "Not Factual!!!"

B1G

The B1G has also looked at acquiring Oklahoma, Kansas, and Vanderbilt. I could see Vanderbilt, Missouri, or may be UCONN in the B1G:

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/...g-12.html/

Big XII

The BIG XII is running out of options.... Therefore, I could see USF and UCF as possibilities. However, ECU and UC are better eastern companions for WV. All four schools need to start scheduling ooc games against BIG XII schools; especially Texas and Oklahoma

"There is additional movement to come in conference realignment. We can't allow what happened to the Big East happen to the Big 12 as far as only having 10 teams. We're happy where we are right now but nobody believes conference realignment is over. But, it is important for us to have eastern partners in the conference.

Those are the WVU athletic director's words, not mine. In his own words, he acknowledges that expansion is coming. I think most of us assumed that much."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/15222...ion-coming

SEC

“Florida's president, Bernie Machen, told CBSSports.com the league will eschew the 16-team superconference model unless some ace jewel called us and said, 'Can you help us?'"

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...r/21932277

No school in this conference is able to call the SEC to collect $$ as an “ace jewel,” but I can see ECU as the diamond in the rough. It would be a good fit for SEC football. Therefore, if the B1G were to take Vanderbilt and Missouri, I could see ECU and Memphis going to the SEC. However, Houston has no chance at the SEC in my opinion.

PAC 12

I agree.... The MWC will always be there for the PAC 12 to carve up. However, it will never consider Houston and SMU when it could have added Texas, Texas T, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St, but declined.

...MHO as well.04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2013 02:58 PM by Underdog.)
04-28-2013 02:01 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-28-2013 01:15 PM)Underdog Wrote:  
(04-28-2013 12:50 PM)JDTulane Wrote:  If the BIG12 expands it will be for Tulane. Duh. By then we'll have had 2 w[h]in*ing seasons in a row.

You made it to easy my friend.... 03-wink

I think if the B12 lost a school to the B1G or another conference they would almost have to replace from the AAC because schools in the AAC are building value on ESPN and they've already committed East with West Virginia.

Who is going to bring the most value out of the AAC in 2016? It has been said the "Group A" schools of the AAC are Houston, Cincinnati, UConn and Temple. Tulane is not in the Group A category and probably won't rise up within the next 5 years.

Thinking here that Houston is a redundant market for the B12 and that UConn would likely end up in the B1G or ACC as part of a deal does it make sense for the B12 to look to Temple for the large market, rivalry with WVU and as a placeholder for more expansion in the East?

Could 12 for the Big XII be Temple and Cincinnati?

05-stirthepot
04-28-2013 02:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DonnyMost Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Reason
(04-28-2013 02:13 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  

You made it to easy my friend.... 03-wink

I think if the B12 lost a school to the B1G or another conference they would almost have to replace from the AAC because schools in the AAC are building value on ESPN and they've already committed East with West Virginia.

Who is going to bring the most value out of the AAC in 2016? It has been said the "Group A" schools of the AAC are Houston, Cincinnati, UConn and Temple. Tulane is not in the Group A category and probably won't rise up within the next 5 years.

Thinking here that Houston is a redundant market for the B12 and that UConn would likely end up in the B1G or ACC as part of a deal does it make sense for the B12 to look to Temple for the large market, rivalry with WVU and as a placeholder for more expansion in the East?

05-stirthepot

Dallas (SMU) is a redundant market for the Big 12.

Houston is not.
04-28-2013 02:23 PM
Underdog Offline
All American

05-stirthepot

No....because the BIG XII has a "football first" mentality. I could see Cincinnati if attendance improves along with ECU. In fact, Cincinnati, ECU, USF, and UCF should approach the BIG XII together and see if there's any interest. Maybe just two schools would get consideration or possibly all four if they worked together. If they hired an independent company to research and present the value of all four schools combined, it would be worth the chance. For example:

The independent company presents to the BIG XII a combined estimate of $40 mil, which sounds more appealing than $20 mil for 2 schools. Consequently, each school agrees to take less money than the other BIG XII schools; thus offering the Florida market and recruiting—plus two eastern partners for WV (UC and ECU). However, of the four schools, USF and UCF combined would have more to offer because of their markets and recruiting.
04-28-2013 02:47 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

(04-28-2013 02:47 PM)Underdog Wrote:  

05-stirthepot

No....because the BIG XII has a "football first" mentality. I could see Cincinnati if attendance improves along with ECU. In fact, Cincinnati, ECU, USF, and UCF should approach the BIG XII together and see if there's any interest. Maybe just two schools would get consideration or possibly all four if they worked together. If they hired an independent company to research and present the value of all four schools combined, it would be worth the chance. For example:

The independent company presents to the BIG XII a combined estimate of $40 mil, which sounds more appealing than $20 mil for 2 schools. Consequently, each school agrees to take less money than the other BIG XII schools; thus offering the Florida market and recruiting—plus two eastern partners for WV (UC and ECU). However, of the four schools, USF and UCF combined would have more to offer because of their markets and recruiting.

Not gonna lie.... that'd be an amazing outcome. But I'll not dog the rest of the conference for a pipe dream. It may make sense on paper... but since when did CFB follow the rules of logic?

Cinci, UCF, USF, and ECU would be favorites against half the teams in the Big 12.
04-28-2013 02:53 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

However, I must acquiesce that there is a forum for this type of thread, and it is not the AAC forum. BE GONE WITH YE
04-28-2013 02:54 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-28-2013 01:49 PM)templefan1 Wrote:  
(04-28-2013 01:41 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  With the GOR issues in the B12 and ACC I have wondered if it makes sense for the B1G to try something like Missouri and UConn in 2016 when the next TV contract is up.

I stopped reading as soon as i saw Temple and the BIG 10 in the same sentence...

I didn't reference Temple in my post...
04-28-2013 02:58 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(04-28-2013 12:31 PM)Mestophalies Wrote:  I think the Big XII will expand to 12 to meet the new Playoff Criteria. I think they may go for a foot hold in Florida as well. Now with FSU off the table, I think they may actually look at USF and UCF which combine for the 4th largest market in the US. They are also natural rivals by proximity and they are in the center of the state not to mention both have large enrollments and alumnus base local to the schools.

I think our Bulls have no better than a 1 in 20 chance of being invited to join the ACC or Big 12 in the next 10 years. For at least a decade, we will be in the AAC. 03-banghead
04-28-2013 03:03 PM
True Bearcat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati

05-stirthepot

I proposed Memphis in this scenario, but I love your ECU idea. ECU had played West Virginia in OOC games for years, and they were usually competitive. I like to believe Cincinnati and West Virginia were building towards a rivalry because the last 4-6 years these two teams were battling for the BIG EAST Championship.

Of all the additions to the American, Central Florida was my favorite because I believe they have a lot of potential. If such a scenario plays out where the Big XII took South Florida, Central Florida, Cincinnati and East Carolina I think that would be a formidable league with excellent recruiting areas, and massive amounts of television sets.
04-28-2013 03:06 PM
JMUDuke25 Online
All American

I Root For: JMU
Temple delivers the Phily market? I stopped right there.
04-28-2013 03:19 PM
Underdog Offline
All American

(04-28-2013 03:06 PM)True Bearcat Wrote:  

05-stirthepot

I proposed Memphis in this scenario, but I love your ECU idea. ECU had played West Virginia in OOC games for years, and they were usually competitive. I like to believe Cincinnati and West Virginia were building towards a rivalry because the last 4-6 years these two teams were battling for the BIG EAST Championship.

Of all the additions to the American, Central Florida was my favorite because I believe they have a lot of potential. If such a scenario plays out where the Big XII took South Florida, Central Florida, Cincinnati and East Carolina I think that would be a formidable league with excellent recruiting areas, and massive amounts of television sets.

I proposed Memphis too in this thread (second post):

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=630533&page=22

However, I realized that football is first and foremost to the BIG XII, so I changed my position on certain schools in the same thread (please read why I like ECU paired with WV, first post):

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=630533&page=34
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2013 03:32 PM by Underdog.)
04-28-2013 03:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.