Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice Owls in NFL Camps
smackdaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice Owls
Rice Owls in NFL Camps
In an attempt to combine general info on our guys getting drafted (as well as veterans), how many Owls will be in NFL camps now? 10? If correct, when's the last time we had 10 guys in camp? Wow. Are there any other possible guys who could still get added? I know Chase is in Canada.

Ariz - Dillard
Phil - Casey
SF - McDonald
Sea - Willson
Car - Cook
Mia - Martens
Minn - Sendejo
Tenn - Solomon
Chi - Ozougwu
Oak - McGuffie

EDIT: Revised above to show Sendejo, Solomon, and Ozougwu as definite, not question marks. Thanks, 2timingOwl.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2013 07:28 PM by smackdaddy.)
04-27-2013 07:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

2timesanowl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: RICE!
New Orleans Bowl
RE: Rice Owls in NFL Camps
yes on all three of your question marks
04-27-2013 07:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
and don't forget Chase with the Blue Bombers.
04-27-2013 07:27 PM
smackdaddy Offline
All American

(04-27-2013 07:27 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  and don't forget Chase with the Blue Bombers.

Yup, thanks, Tiki. Was just updating the original post when you were typing, too. Anybody else besides those 10(+1)?
04-27-2013 07:29 PM
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
That's an impressive list although it's possible only a few of those guys are actually on NFL teams next year. I imagine we'll have a few more guys drafted next year too (Boswell and Gaines leading the list but maybe a RB or converted RB too).
04-27-2013 07:42 PM
2timesanowl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: RICE!
New Orleans Bowl
I'd be surprised if Porras did not end up in a camp as well.
04-27-2013 08:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bobreinhold1 Offline
1st String

[quote='Rick Gerlach' pid='9278594' dateline='1367231113']
I knew if money was involved, you'd be in!

I'd take 2012 over 2003.

But I'd have to stick with 1949 over 1953.

The latter pick is tricky. I never saw either of them.

Boy yhese threads really get off base, but regarding the '49 and '53 teams I did see them both and '49 was better. In '47, '48 and '49 SMU, UT and Rice were the three best teams in the SWC. SMU had won the conference in '47 an '48 and had Doak Walker and Kyle Rote in the backfield. We went on the road and beat both of them on consecutive weeks. Our only loss was in week two to LSU in Baton Rouge 14-7. My dad took me to that game on the train. It was an eerie experience. It was foggy and drizzly when we got to Baton Rouge and there was no one around at the train station. It was a pretty small town then. We didn't have any umbrellas so we sat on the top row of the stadium under the light towers hoping to keep some of the rain away. Froggy Williams later said that game made our season as Jess Neely saw how LSU used the two platoon substitutions and incorporated it into our scheme. Anyway we didn't stumble after the UT win like we did in '53. '53 could have gone unbeaten except for a very late Frankie Eidom 92 yard run against us in Dallas and the Kentucky upset after beating Texas. Two great teams though and lots of fond memories.
04-29-2013 10:43 AM
Advertisement

07owl Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
I just saw that Taylor Cook's plans with Carolina didn't work out for whatever reason. He has been in camp with the Dallas Cowboys (mentioned here: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/p...-players). Dallas is a tough spot for a tight end, with Jason Witten at the starting spot and the 2nd rounder from San Diego State this year. Also, James Hanna looked promising last year. But hopefully this will lead somewhere for Taylor.
05-14-2013 12:31 PM
oolongtea Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rice
New Orleans Bowl
(04-27-2013 07:29 PM)smackdaddy Wrote:  
(04-27-2013 07:27 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  and don't forget Chase with the Blue Bombers.

Yup, thanks, Tiki. Was just updating the original post when you were typing, too. Anybody else besides those 10(+1)?

If the CFL is in play Scott Mitchell is with Edmonton. Arnaud Gascon-Nadon was drafted by Hamilton but TSN indicated that he"...will likely miss training camp as he recovers from shoulder surgery." I do not see him listed on their roster currently.
05-15-2013 04:24 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(05-15-2013 04:24 PM)oolongtea Wrote:  
(04-27-2013 07:29 PM)smackdaddy Wrote:  

If the CFL is in play Scott Mitchell is with Edmonton. Arnaud Gascon-Nadon was drafted by Hamilton but TSN indicated that he"...will likely miss training camp as he recovers from shoulder surgery." I do not see him listed on their roster currently.

Speaking of the Blue Bombers, their new stadium is ready to open the season...a really nice looking building.

https://www.google.com/search?q=new+winn...74&bih=773
05-15-2013 05:31 PM
Advertisement

Buho00 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I think Ross, especially if he has a big year, will get some looks. He has NFL speed and size as a RB.
05-15-2013 08:03 PM
talon owl Offline
Chicken Fingers Justin

I Root For: The OE Arrrrrgh

New Orleans BowlThe Parliament Awards
(05-15-2013 08:03 PM)Buho00 Wrote:  I think Ross, especially if he has a big year, will get some looks. He has NFL speed and size as a RB.

Yep. He seems like a guy who would test well.

Eddington also if he makes the most of the move to TE. He has an NFL size/speed combination. There haven't been many 97 yd kick return TDs by 240+ pounders in recent CFB history.

Frazier obviously has bloodlines if he comes back and has a strong senior year. I'm not sure how much PT he'll get though. May be rotating.

Boswell is already atop kicking prospect lists for the 2014 draft.
05-15-2013 09:09 PM
Pan95 Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice/WY
I would like to think that Gaines would get a serious look especially if he has the same type of season or better against a pass happy schedule. I've heard people mention Porras. I love the kid and his penchant for mustache flair so that would be pretty cool to me. Other than those two, I would think that Nwosu on defense and Richards on offense will also get tryouts.
05-15-2013 10:33 PM
RiceLad15 Online
Hall of Famer

I'd like to think Nwosu would get some looks, but with how body conscious the NFL is, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets overlooked, but he does warrant at least an UFA tryout.

If I had to pick a surprise player to go to the NFL, I think Peterson may get some looks at FB. The kid has shown he has the willingness to take a hit, can run when need be, and catch as well.
05-16-2013 02:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.