Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Swofford Cajoled FSU Trustees/Boosters to Stay
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Swofford Cajoled FSU Trustees/Boosters to Stay
Idiots like Dude spread so much misinformation that FSU needed Swofford to come down and set the record straight.

Thanks Dude...you saved the ACC!

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20130...U-ACC-deal
04-25-2013 07:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
RE: Swofford Cajoled FSU Trustees/Boosters to Stay
Swofford is an alumni of the Ohio Sports Management program and recommended an expansion back in the 90's for Ohio's football stadium of an upper deck.

Glad to see an alumni succeed...

04-cheers
04-25-2013 09:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JunkYardCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
That article is the most convincing evidence I've seen that this is all over for a LONG time.

I've become a big time Terps fan. Thank you Terps for making room for my Cardinals.
04-26-2013 07:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Never underestimate John Swofford.
04-26-2013 07:50 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(04-26-2013 07:50 AM)XLance Wrote:  Never underestimate John Swofford.

Swofford is a douchecanoe of epic proportions, but for the first time ever I'm happy with something he managed to pull off. This realignment mess needed to stop for at least a while and he manged to help end it. Now the AAC will likely have the time it needs to build up and hopefully won't have to worry about getting raided in the short term.
04-26-2013 07:55 AM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
Swofford has done some serious behind-the-scenes, 'under the hood' work in the last 24 months -- great job, sir.

Where's stever to tell us it's not actually over, but it's just a mirage...?
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2013 08:54 AM by ecuacc4ever.)
04-26-2013 08:44 AM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(04-26-2013 07:55 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  
(04-26-2013 07:50 AM)XLance Wrote:  Never underestimate John Swofford.

Swofford is a douchecanoe of epic proportions, but for the first time ever I'm happy with something he managed to pull off. This realignment mess needed to stop for at least a while and he manged to help end it. Now the AAC will likely have the time it needs to build up and hopefully won't have to worry about getting raided in the short term.

If the AAC get the time & they will...they will be the best of the GoF...UConn, Temple. USF, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF & ECU is a good solid league to build around.
04-26-2013 08:52 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
THe irony for the AAC is if any of its team break out they become food for the acc, big 12 or maybe big 12 to pick up in expansion.
04-26-2013 08:57 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(04-26-2013 08:57 AM)bluesox Wrote:  THe irony for the AAC is if any of its team break out they become food for the acc, big 12 or maybe big 12 to pick up in expansion.
This is why the merry go round stopping for a decade until the Big12 grant of rights come close to expiring is such good news for The America ... they have time for several programs to mature.
04-26-2013 09:04 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(04-26-2013 08:44 AM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  Swofford has done some serious behind-the-scenes, 'under the hood' work in the last 24 months -- great job, sir.

He set up the problem in the first place by giving his son's Raycom a sweetheart deal.
04-26-2013 09:05 AM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

(04-26-2013 09:05 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(04-26-2013 08:44 AM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  Swofford has done some serious behind-the-scenes, 'under the hood' work in the last 24 months -- great job, sir.

He set up the problem in the first place by giving his son's Raycom a sweetheart deal.

So?
04-26-2013 09:07 AM
Advertisement

CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
Swofford is a freaking ninja. Virtually every move he's made over the past 19 months has been tightly guarded until the day of or the day before it's official. From Pitt/Syracuse, to Notre Dame, to the GoR, he's a sneaky bastard and he gets those around him to keep quiet, too. Amazing.
04-26-2013 09:17 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
IF ESPN is forming an ACC network, I wouldn't be shocked if the acc jumped to 18 with uconn and cincy to get markets and content. Ditto the reason with team 18, i think the best move would be WVU but that's doubtful. The acc could go with temple which would mean they need football only school, navy or BYU. Or the ACC could target Georgetown to pair with ND.

acc

atlantic: bc, uconn, cuse, pitt, cincy, lville, miami, gtown, ND

coastal: Uva, va tech, unc, duke, nc state, wake, clemson, ga tech, fsu

that's a great setup for an espn/acc network + diminishes other fox run leagues. Downside is i'm not sure about the football setup, no coastal school is gonna want to be in the atlantic + would gtown want it. Going to 4 pods of 4 for football could work. If espn is really running the show with acc network, if the above happened, they could shift Nc state and wake to the sec to give the sec network run by espn more markets and content. Thus, espn would run two 16 team league networks with great content and markets.
04-26-2013 09:17 AM
apex_pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina
(04-26-2013 08:57 AM)bluesox Wrote:  THe irony for the AAC is if any of its team break out they become food for the acc, big 12 or maybe big 12 to pick up in expansion.

Only one or two.

The ACC, with membership as it stands, would never ever take UCF, ECU, Memphis, etc. on their (the ACC's) academic stance alone. Those three are equal as far as academics are concerned but not to level needed to break in. Louisville had positives that none of these schools have, even if they had a few break-out seasons. UCONN is the favorite and even they have little shot. An ACC implosion, where the core schools leave, is what most of these schools need to move over. That doesn't appear likely to happen.

I find it hard to believe the B12 would consider UH or SMU purely because of location. If Memphis had a number of great football seasons I could see them and Cincy on the radar for sure. I highly doubt the B12 has any interest in UCONN, WVU or not.
04-26-2013 09:27 AM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

(04-26-2013 09:17 AM)bluesox Wrote:  IF ESPN is forming an ACC network, I wouldn't be shocked if the acc jumped to 18 with uconn and cincy to get markets and content. Ditto the reason with team 18, i think the best move would be WVU but that's doubtful. The acc could go with temple which would mean they need football only school, navy or BYU. Or the ACC could target Georgetown to pair with ND.

acc

that's a great setup for an espn/acc network + diminishes other fox run leagues. Downside is i'm not sure about the football setup, no coastal school is gonna want to be in the atlantic + would gtown want it. Going to 4 pods of 4 for football could work. If espn is really running the show with acc network, if the above happened, they could shift Nc state and wake to the sec to give the sec network run by espn more markets and content. Thus, espn would run two 16 team league networks with great content and markets.

Um.. bluesox -- no. The ACC is not going to 18. The ACC isn't going to expand unless either Texas (around 2023 or so) or Navy is involved.

:)
04-26-2013 09:44 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Sure its unlikely but i like this setup for ESPN to arrange after starting an ACC and SEC network:

SEC
e- UK, UT, Vandy, NcState, Wake, Scar, UGA, UF
w- Ala, Aub, Ole Miss, Miss St, LSU, TA&M, Ark, Mo

ACC
n- BC, Uconn, Cuse, Pitt, Cincy, Lville, ND, Gtown
s- UVA, Va tech, UNC, Duke, Clem, GaTech, FSU, Miami

(shift miami to the north for football)

I think the acc and sec network would rival the big 10 and lock up a good chunk of the country for espn with a two 16 team leagues. Football in the sec and hoops in the acc is nice 1-2 combo. The concept of texas joining the acc is about as likely as FSU joining the big 12. As for nd, i doubt they ever join a league for football so the acc will wait a long time for that to happen.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2013 10:12 AM by bluesox.)
04-26-2013 10:10 AM
Advertisement

CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(04-26-2013 09:44 AM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  
(04-26-2013 09:17 AM)bluesox Wrote:  IF ESPN is forming an ACC network, I wouldn't be shocked if the acc jumped to 18 with uconn and cincy to get markets and content. Ditto the reason with team 18, i think the best move would be WVU but that's doubtful. The acc could go with temple which would mean they need football only school, navy or BYU. Or the ACC could target Georgetown to pair with ND.

acc

Um.. bluesox -- no. The ACC is not going to 18. The ACC isn't going to expand unless either Texas (around 2023 or so) or Navy is involved.

:)

And no way is Georgetown adding FBS football. You can put that to bed.
04-26-2013 10:42 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(04-26-2013 09:17 AM)CommuterBob Wrote:  Swofford is a freaking ninja. Virtually every move he's made over the past 19 months has been tightly guarded until the day of or the day before it's official. From Pitt/Syracuse, to Notre Dame, to the GoR, he's a sneaky bastard and he gets those around him to keep quiet, too. Amazing.

Most of those things were very quiet, but there's been a lot of talk about an ACC network (which would require a GOR) and the GOR itself. There was talk 2 or 3 schools refused in January to sign a GOR. UVA, FSU and maybe NCSU? Swofford visited UVA and FSU. It was known Notre Dame was talking to the Big 12 and ACC. The surprise was that they were that close to a deal with the ACC. And with the GOR the surprise was that he had changed those minds.
04-26-2013 10:59 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(04-26-2013 10:59 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(04-26-2013 09:17 AM)CommuterBob Wrote:  Swofford is a freaking ninja. Virtually every move he's made over the past 19 months has been tightly guarded until the day of or the day before it's official. From Pitt/Syracuse, to Notre Dame, to the GoR, he's a sneaky bastard and he gets those around him to keep quiet, too. Amazing.

Most of those things were very quiet, but there's been a lot of talk about an ACC network (which would require a GOR) and the GOR itself. There was talk 2 or 3 schools refused in January to sign a GOR. UVA, FSU and maybe NCSU? Swofford visited UVA and FSU. It was known Notre Dame was talking to the Big 12 and ACC. The surprise was that they were that close to a deal with the ACC. And with the GOR the surprise was that he had changed those minds.

The ACC learned much from the 2003 expansion fiasco...OPSEC + COMSEC are vital
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2013 11:37 AM by TexanMark.)
04-26-2013 11:36 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
I don't get the hero worship for Swofford. Reading Barron's quotes, it sounded like his mind was made up not to leave regardless of what his student body, alumni, BoT, boosters, and (fans) felt.

And I don't get where these guys think he discussed matters with the SEC. Either they want you or they don't. And considering he's been a supporter of the ACC arrangement, if the SEC didn't want FSU, wouldn't it be the best ammunition to use to keep yourself where you are? The quote about how the SEC expanded? Please...any mark with a computer and internet connection could have made the same conclusion with some on these sorts of message boards.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2013 12:05 PM by The Cutter of Bish.)
04-26-2013 11:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.