Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Going to 12
Bookmark and Share
bostonspider Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Richmond
Going to 12
Per the SHU AD Pat Lyons

"This new league is a home run. We (Big East AD's) are really excited about adding Xavier, Butler and Creighton. Any time you're able to add three teams who have recently spent significant time in the top 25 to your conference, you should be pleased. Two more teams will be added to the Big East, we are certain of that, but right now those two teams haven't been decided - but it will be a 12 team conference. We'll have home and home games, and that's really going to create great rivalries - renewed rivalries. The AD's and Presidents of each school are excited about the direction of the new Big East and the continuation of having the Big East Tournament at Madison Square Garden. We're all aware of how tenuous things were for a while last year, but it really couldn't have worked out better. "

http://www.southorangejuice.com/201...th...-lyons-q-a
04-25-2013 04:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ivet Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePaul, Hoya
RE: Going to 12
Neat, except this thread will end up being a VCU thread again.
04-25-2013 05:44 PM
Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
Haha, no doubt...where is stever? Before it becomes one though, I think SLU is the no-brainer and then it's between Dayton and Richmond, two teams I don't think are unanimous picks by any means...
04-25-2013 05:46 PM
thegalen Offline
2nd String

I Root For: VCU
B-b-b-ut it was gonna be 10 for years to come. Where's my favorite Bulldog? :)
04-25-2013 07:01 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
I think SLU is a slam dunk.
04-25-2013 07:28 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
Let the speculation begin! I agree SLU is number 11. (at least i hope so)
04-25-2013 08:38 PM
Advertisement

gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
linky no worky
04-25-2013 08:41 PM
Downtown Shocker Brown Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Wichita State
Can I throw out....

Kidding.

I do wonder what he means about having home and homes? Does that mean they are planning a 22 game League schedule?
04-25-2013 08:56 PM
College Basketball Fan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: D1 Basketball
You have two paths right now, though who knows what will open up in the future:

1. SLU + Dayton/Richmond
2. VCU + Wichita State

#1 is more likely at this point (I'd say SLU is automatic and Dayton leads Richmond by a little). The candidates in #2 would have to be added as a group. You've heard the arguments for both sides, no need to bring them up again in this thread.
04-25-2013 09:11 PM
aughnanure Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marquette
(04-25-2013 05:44 PM)ivet Wrote:  Neat, except this board will end up being a VCU board again.

fify
04-26-2013 09:42 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
I think SLU is a lock for #11.

#12 spot is more interesting. You have VCU, Dayton, and Richmond- I just think Wichita too far out there most likely. I think if Dayton shows a pulse they likely get it. But if they continue to flounder VCU has to be much more of a possibility. I don't see Richmond just because why add a team that is already 2nd rate in their own city? I was in Richmond this past weekend and there is a lot of VCU stuff around the city but almost nothing for Richmond.
04-26-2013 01:21 PM
Advertisement

thegalen Offline
2nd String

(04-26-2013 01:21 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I just think Wichita too far out there most likely.
Omaha to Wichita = 256 miles. Omaha to STL = 357 miles.

WSU is 12-11 all-time, and 6-3 in the last 10 years.

SLU is 5-9 all-time, and 2-2 in the last 10 years.

Going from 0 publics to 2 publics may make the add seem "too far out there", but in terms of location, recent tourney success, and coaching talent, it makes sense to take both rather than just the one. Not saying that makes either joining likely, but there's some sense in being in for a penny in for a pound.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2013 02:01 PM by thegalen.)
04-26-2013 01:55 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(04-26-2013 01:55 PM)thegalen Wrote:  
(04-26-2013 01:21 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I just think Wichita too far out there most likely.
Omaha to Wichita = 256 miles. Omaha to STL = 357 miles.

WSU is 12-11 all-time, and 6-3 in the last 10 years.

SLU is 5-9 all-time, and 2-2 in the last 10 years.

Going from 0 publics to 2 publics may make the add seem "too far out there", but in terms of location, recent tourney success, and coaching talent, it makes sense to take both rather than just the one. Not saying that makes either joining likely, but in for a penny in for a pound.
The problem isn't the distance between Omaha and either Wichita or St Louis, it's the distance between Wichita to Chicago/Milwaukee, etc.
04-26-2013 02:02 PM
thegalen Offline
2nd String

(04-26-2013 02:02 PM)stever20 Wrote:  The problem isn't the distance between Omaha and either Wichita or St Louis, it's the distance between Wichita to Chicago/Milwaukee, etc.
Granted but only Depaul and Butler are realistically within driving distance. At most you're looking at a marginally longer charter for all but two schools, with Creighton getting a driveable opponent and familiar rival. It's also easier to squeeze together Creighton+WSU on the road than Creighton+SLU.

This doesn't account for the other Olympics that don't charter, but on balance it seems like a wash at worst.
04-26-2013 02:18 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(04-26-2013 01:21 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I think SLU is a lock for #11.

#12 spot is more interesting. You have VCU, Dayton, and Richmond- I just think Wichita too far out there most likely. I think if Dayton shows a pulse they likely get it. But if they continue to flounder VCU has to be much more of a possibility. I don't see Richmond just because why add a team that is already 2nd rate in their own city? I was in Richmond this past weekend and there is a lot of VCU stuff around the city but almost nothing for Richmond.

I've kind of warmed up on VCU, but it seems like Georgetown specifically is blocking them. My impression is that this is the conversation going on between Georgetown and Marquette (who seem to be the ones driving a lot of the discussions):

GEORGETOWN: We've been adding a lot of freaking Midwestern teams. Let's get an East Coast school in here.

MARQUETTE: No problem! VCU rules. Their coach is awesome and they'll be filling up the stands.

GEORGETOWN: Errr... we're not really into VCU. [Mutters something unintelligible under breath.] Let's keep it to institutional fits, like Richmond.

MARQUETTE: Dude, if you want an institutional fit, we might as well add Dayton. At least their fans show up.

GEORGETOWN: But they're in the Midwest again! SLU is one thing because there are some good Italian restaurants out that way, but we can't sell Dayton on top of them to our fans.

MARQUETTE: Well, we can't sell Richmond to our fans. Dayton fans will show up here and drink Wisconsin beer en masse if we invite them. If we're going to east, we need a draw like VCU.

And that's my guess as to why there's been a stalemate.
04-26-2013 03:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(04-26-2013 02:18 PM)thegalen Wrote:  
(04-26-2013 02:02 PM)stever20 Wrote:  The problem isn't the distance between Omaha and either Wichita or St Louis, it's the distance between Wichita to Chicago/Milwaukee, etc.
Granted but only Depaul and Butler are realistically within driving distance. At most you're looking at a marginally longer charter for all but two schools, with Creighton getting a driveable opponent and familiar rival. It's also easier to squeeze together Creighton+WSU on the road than Creighton+SLU.

This doesn't account for the other Olympics that don't charter, but on balance it seems like a wash at worst.

VCU is a public school with at least a chance for the Big East (albeit still an uphill battle). I don't think there's any realistic scenario where Wichita State gets an invite. SLU is almost a perfect institutional and demographic fit with a large market that Fox cares about, to boot. They're getting in without question if there's an expansion to 12. It's all about the last school.
04-26-2013 03:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JackMort Offline
Water Engineer

(04-26-2013 02:18 PM)thegalen Wrote:  

How is DePaul driving distance but not Marquette? It's probably only an extra 20 minutes drive (bypass Chicago with I43).
04-26-2013 03:46 PM
thegalen Offline
2nd String

(04-26-2013 03:46 PM)JackMort Wrote:  How is DePaul driving distance but not Marquette? It's probably only an extra 20 minutes drive (bypass Chicago with I43).
I get 4.5 hours for the former and 5.5 hours for the latter using Google Maps. I capped driving time at around the 4 hour mark. VCU took a bus to Charlotte and (maybe) Temple last year, but other than that we chartered everywhere. Can't imagine the BE teams not doing the same, especially in Wisconsin and Chicago around winter time.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2013 04:02 PM by thegalen.)
04-26-2013 04:01 PM
thegalen Offline
2nd String

(04-26-2013 03:26 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  SLU is almost a perfect institutional and demographic fit with a large market that Fox cares about, to boot.
Sure, but if you're going to break the seal on that precious institutional fit, why not "whole ass" it and get the most bang for your buck? There's a symmetry to it, geographically, and you get another FF team with a far better track record. Oh, and another of the nation's brighter coaches who's already mostly proven.

As for Fox, SLU hoops has less than nothing to do with FS1 carriage in STL (or MO for that matter). They've got it more than covered. As far as viewership goes, I'm dubious that either SLU or WSU has a clear structural advantage when it comes to drawing eyeballs. Seems like a tossup, tilting towards the larger school.
[Image: fox-sports-net-cvrg.gif]
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2013 04:27 PM by thegalen.)
04-26-2013 04:13 PM
JackMort Offline
Water Engineer

I43 into Milwaukee is a much smoother drive than any highway going into the heart of Chicago, though. St. Louis to either is probably much closer than an hour difference, unless it's in the middle of the night. I'd expect both to be over 5 hour trips. Based on what you'r saying, yo might want to throw DePaul out, too.
04-26-2013 04:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.