Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UC must set it's sites on Big 12
Bookmark and Share
kyucat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
UC must set it's sites on Big 12
It's clear now that UC must create an all or nothing goal to join the Big 12. Everything UC does in the future should have that focus. Here are some suggestions to make that happen.
If possible football an basketball OCC scheduling should focus on Big 12 schools. UC has to show the Big 12 they can compete. Play those Big 12 games at PBS to give a big time feel to those games. Remember the Oklahoma game at PBS?
I also think UC should work on getting it's games on XM Sirus channels to gain more nation recognition. UC needs to improve it's regional radio coverage similar to what Louisville has done.
Of course winning is key. Boise St proved that over time. A football game against them would really help too.

04-23-2013 07:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bearcat54 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: UC must set it's sites on Big 12
i' d rather stay in the AAC than go into the central time zone and be a bottom dweller like west virginia started out there. Moving to the Big 12 would be a disaster for UC and it's fans. I'd rather remain in the AAC and be consistently one of the best in most sports than go where the fans will have trouble following on weekdays. Things will work out for uc eventually. Don't jump ship yet.

04-23-2013 10:19 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
(04-23-2013 10:19 AM)bearcat54 Wrote:  i' d rather stay in the AAC than go into the central time zone and be a bottom dweller like west virginia started out there. Moving to the Big 12 would be a disaster for UC and it's fans. I'd rather remain in the AAC and be consistently one of the best in most sports than go where the fans will have trouble following on weekdays. Things will work out for uc eventually. Don't jump ship yet.

You'd rather play in the minors versus the majors? 01-france

04-23-2013 10:24 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(04-23-2013 10:24 AM)mlb Wrote:  
(04-23-2013 10:19 AM)bearcat54 Wrote:  i' d rather stay in the AAC than go into the central time zone and be a bottom dweller like west virginia started out there. Moving to the Big 12 would be a disaster for UC and it's fans. I'd rather remain in the AAC and be consistently one of the best in most sports than go where the fans will have trouble following on weekdays. Things will work out for uc eventually. Don't jump ship yet.

You'd rather play in the minors versus the majors? 01-france

I would rather play, host, Okie State, WVU, Texas, KState etc. and
collect well over 20 Million.

04-23-2013 10:28 AM
BearChatter v2.0 Offline
Rounding Third and headed...
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Da Bearcats!
I'd stay in the AAC. It works for Boise being the best in a mediocre conference.

I wish the SEC was expanding.

04-23-2013 10:46 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(04-23-2013 10:46 AM)BearChatter v2.0 Wrote:  I'd stay in the AAC. It works for Boise being the best in a mediocre conference.

I wish the SEC was expanding.

Then why would you want UC in the SEC?

04-23-2013 10:49 AM
Advertisement

Bearcat T Offline
All American

I Root For:
There is NO decision guys if the ACC or Big 12 call you go! They make 20 million plus a year in tTV money compared to 4 million. That is approx 16 million more per year every year! We could afford to fly our team and fans free to most of the games..... lol

04-23-2013 10:57 AM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(04-23-2013 10:57 AM)Bearcat T Wrote:  There is NO decision guys if the ACC or Big 12 call you go! They make 20 million plus a year in tTV money compared to 4 million. That is approx 16 million more per year every year! We could afford to fly our team and fans free to most of the games..... lol

For real . We seem to be entering "stage 3" ..acceptance. "Hey this AAC thing isnt so bad."

If word got out that we turned down an invitation from the Big12 because the AAC is a better fit for UC , I'd demand the firing of Babcock and Ono immediately

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2013 11:22 AM by Bearcat2012.)
04-23-2013 11:22 AM
KCat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
http://www.burntorangenation.com/2013/4/...Cincinnati referenced as an option for Big 12

Big 12 expansion options limited by ACC grant of rightsBy Wescott Eberts on Apr 22 2013, 3:00p  @SBN_Wescott 28
Stay connected for news and updates Follow @PBatBON The Seminoles won't be joining the Big 12 any time soon - Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports
The massive realignment of the last several years may now be finished.
 Share on Facebook  Tweet post (9) 28 Comments Those hoping that the Big 12 conference will expand in the near future to include more than the 10 current teams got some bad news on Monday because the member schools of the ACC are set to hand over their media rights:
The ACC will announce a 15-school grant of media rights deal through 2027, North Carolina radio host David Glenn, also of ACCSports.com, reports. CBS Sports' Jeremy Fowler and ESPN's Brett McMurphy have since confirmed. This would essentially curb speculation of schools leaving the conference for the immediate future.
Such a deal, in layman's terms, means that every school is granting the conference the revenue from certain broadcast rights. Even if a school were to leave, its TV money would stay within the league until the end of the deal. Neither the school nor its new league would make TV money, meaning all ACC schools would be completely off limits.
The major takeaway from this deal is that with the Big 12 and Pac-12 having already made similar moves, since the ACC is no longer a conference that others can raid in hopes of expansion, major realignment will be a thing of the past for the near future and the potential for four 16-team superconferences greatly reduced.
Top potential targets for the Big 12 now off the board include Clemson, Florida State, and Notre Dame. Actually, those were really about the only strong potential targets.
But don't count on Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby being disappointed about the developments. A major proponent of the argument that bigger isn't better, Bowlsby has been consistent in saying that the conference is content at 10 teams and willing to sit on the sidelines of realignment absent overwhelming evidence that the league would benefit from expansion, though skeptics wonder if that really means that there has to be overwhelming evidence that Texas and Oklahoma would benefit from expansion.
If the Big 12 does decide that they want to expand, it will have to focus efforts on members of the American Athletic Conference, the former Big East that will end up housing many former members of Conference USA. With the departure of Louisville to the ACC, the number of appealing options for the Big 12 has never been lower.
Cincinnati is still on the table as a possibility, but otherwise the Big 12 would have to look into expanding into Florida or bringing back former members of the SWC like SMU or Houston.
Florida schools like Central Florida or South Florida would be appealing because they could help open up the fertile state of Florida to Big 12 recruiting efforts, but they wouldn't bring enough television money to the table to make them viable options based on what Bowlsby has been saying.
There is still BYU, as well, but the Cougars have their own television issues and whatever else has kept them from being discussed as a more viable option for the major conferences.
The Big 12 managed to survive, is now operating with a relatively high level of harmony, and didn't have to add schools that provide questionable value, as the Pac-12 did with Utah and Colorado and the Big 10 is set to do with Rutgers and Maryland.
Right now, that looks like a win with superconferences no longer looming on the horizon and the Big 12 no longer in imminent danger of falling behind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

04-23-2013 11:37 AM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
UC isn't turning down a Big XII invite unless another major conference is offering Cincinnati at the same time. I have never been a huge of fan of moving to that conference as its constituted today. If the move included at least two other schools like Memphis, UConn, USF, UCF, Houston, or Tulane that changes things. It provides another school or two in our region plus from a competitive standpoint Cincinnati wouldn't be need to catch up.

Cincinnati football can compete in a Big XII divisional alignment if it includes Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, WVU, and one of the schools listed above.

I never felt that that AAC is a bad fit for UC. We still need to win in both sports and this conference gives our program the best chance to do so. When the basketball team joined the Big East and played a whole bunch of name schools the attendance went down because the team wasn't very good. I would be worried at string of records hovering from 4-8 to 8-4 would hurt this program more than a so-so conference. In a few years or so we might be able to overcome average but I am not sure we can afford to lose yet.

04-23-2013 11:43 AM
back2vinyl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Bearcats
(04-23-2013 11:22 AM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  
(04-23-2013 10:57 AM)Bearcat T Wrote:  There is NO decision guys if the ACC or Big 12 call you go! They make 20 million plus a year in tTV money compared to 4 million. That is approx 16 million more per year every year! We could afford to fly our team and fans free to most of the games..... lol

For real . We seem to be entering "stage 3" ..acceptance. "Hey this AAC thing isnt so bad."

If word got out that we turned down an invitation from the Big12 because the AAC is a better fit for UC , I'd demand the firing of Babcock and Ono immediately

Actually, I believe that is the denial stage.

04-23-2013 11:44 AM
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators

04-23-2013 12:19 PM
#41 Offline
Special Teams

(04-23-2013 11:44 AM)back2vinyl Wrote:  

The denial stage is people saying things like "The Big 12 has to expand, they need a conference championship game."

Acceptance is thinking the AAC is anything better than a steaming pile of MAC-like garbage.

04-23-2013 12:22 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(04-23-2013 12:22 PM)#41 Wrote:  

The denial stage is people saying things like "The Big 12 has to expand, they need a conference championship game."

Acceptance is thinking the AAC is anything better than a steaming pile of MAC-like garbage.

Please show me their waiver to play a CCG with 10 teams. You realize that in order to make the new playoffs you have to do a CCG. No way the PAC, SEC, ACC, and BIG lets the Big 12 skate in without a CCG.

04-23-2013 12:45 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
Where does it state you have to have a conference championship game, Super? I've never seen that. The only thing I've seen is that the "Champions Bowl" or whatever requires that (in their contract with the SEC).

04-23-2013 12:47 PM
Bearcat T Offline
All American

I Root For:
We have to hope that the Big 12 is given pressure by the other Power Conferences to have to have a Championship game at 12 schools. It really is not fair for them not too. We also can hope this makes The Big 10 move faster and take and ACC team b-4 they sign this agreement or that they then take a Big 12 team or two or a Missouri from the SEC and then they take a Big 12 team etc.

04-23-2013 12:48 PM
Advertisement

BigDawg Offline
All American

Donators
(04-23-2013 12:47 PM)mlb Wrote:  Where does it state you have to have a conference championship game, Super? I've never seen that. The only thing I've seen is that the "Champions Bowl" or whatever requires that (in their contract with the SEC).

Currently that is not a requirement, although many (Including some B12 people) have worried that the Big 12 not having a championship game will punish them in the polls and computer numbers to make it much more difficult to make it to the Championship game. They could then feel the pressure to make it happen, assuming the other Power conferences don't strongly recommend it. There is a reason the Big 12 tried to get the waiver.

I wonder if the Big 12 will give it a go and see how it impacts them before actually expanding and diluting their revenue. Or whether they might bite the bullet sooner than later and get expansion out of the way. They may have been playing the waiting game to see the outcome of the Maryland lawsuit before poaching the ACC for a couple teams. Now that the ACC is pretty much closed, their options are pretty limited. Had the ACC been open after the lawsuit was resolved, they could get the teams they really wanted. Now their choices are pretty much teams outside the Power 5.

UC make sense as it is in a nice market and gives WVU a travel partner (Which will really help the entire league because schools would be able to make a road trip to UC and WVU over a weekend, etc, which can be a huge deal for non-revenue sports). I wonder if they would go to Florida to get into that market or if there would be concerns about the enlarged travel expenses. I believe that of those left, UC would be at the top of the list for the Big 12 (Unless BYU caves on their demands or the Big 12 gives in, which I don't see happening). But they would need to add at least 2 teams and maybe they decide to just go to 14. I think UConn may be the team that is hurt the most as they are geographically out in left field. Maybe the Big 10 decides to make a play for them to get into the markets up there.

My gut says the Big 12 was laying low to see if they could get the ACC schools and may now shift gears to get UC plus one to get to 12, at least in the nest year or two.

04-23-2013 01:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
#41 Offline
Special Teams

(04-23-2013 12:45 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(04-23-2013 12:22 PM)#41 Wrote:  

Please show me their waiver to play a CCG with 10 teams. You realize that in order to make the new playoffs you have to do a CCG. No way the PAC, SEC, ACC, and BIG lets the Big 12 skate in without a CCG.

If the need to have a CCG was so pressing, don't you think there'd be all sorts of caveats in articles about realignment noting that the B12 might have to expand to get one?

The only people worrying about the B12 needing/wanting a CCG are people on here (and other messages boards) trying to convince themselves that the B12 is going to expand.

Unless you think we all have some insight that every other national sportswriter lacks (and I don't mean some sportswriters, I mean literally every major national sportswriter -- I've never once seen the issue of "needing to expand for a CCG" brought up in any of the articles being written by the major national guys on CBS, ESPN, FOX or SI), I find it tough to believe that this is a major issue.

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2013 01:05 PM by #41.)
04-23-2013 01:04 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(04-23-2013 12:47 PM)mlb Wrote:  Where does it state you have to have a conference championship game, Super? I've never seen that. The only thing I've seen is that the "Champions Bowl" or whatever requires that (in their contract with the SEC).

It is pretty much everywhere, which is why the Big 12 applied for a waiver
with only 10 teams (late Jan.), but no way they get that waiver. All of the rules negotiations to make the new playoff indicated that conferences play a CCG. Go to any Big 12 message board and click on a thread that says
ACC Grant of Rights..........then you will see the next in line as
Cincy/Memphis, Cincy/BYU, Cincy/USF etc.

Of course the Big 12 Commish is saying how happy they all are at

04-23-2013 01:07 PM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
(04-23-2013 11:22 AM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  For real . We seem to be entering "stage 3" ..acceptance. "Hey this AAC thing isnt so bad." 03-puke03-puke03-puke

Babcock and Ono are empowered to lead this University forward. If they allow UC football to fall back to Garbage USA days, then they have failed. There is no second prize for "we tried hard."

Negotiate a deal, and get it done! The Big 12 will need two more teams. We must be one of them.

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2013 01:21 PM by Ragpicker.)
04-23-2013 01:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.