Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If Each Of The Power 5 went to 16.........hypothetical................
ECUPirated Offline
NAPALMINATOR

I Root For: American Rising
If Each Of The Power 5 went to 16.........hypothetical................
Now that the ACC appears to be in agreement on / or has already signed a GOR (along with the B12, PAC, B1G) many seem to think that realignment will now grind to a screeching halt or at least slow down for awhile.

But let's assume for a minute that the end goal of each of the Power 5 is to get to 16 schools each for a total of 80 schools once the playoffs / BCS details are finalized and then an eventual split again at the FBS level. With the GORs being in place now, let's also assume that the only conferences that could be "raided" are the SEC (fat chance) or the Group of 5.

In your opinions which schools would each of the Power 5 conferences (hypothetically) go after to get to 16 if no teams would leave conferences with a GOR in effect and additional TV revenue was not necessarily a factor in choosing teams, but rather simply gaining new states or markets.

PAC is at 12 and needs 4 more teams.
B1G is at 14 and needs 2 more teams.
B12 is at 10 and needs 6 more teams.
ACC is at 14 and needs 2 more teams.
SEC is at 14 and needs 2 more teams.

Here's mine. Just an opinion based on all the criteria mentioned above.

PAC - BYU, Boise, UNLV, San Diego State
B1G - Missouri, Connecticut
B12 - Cincinnati, Houston, SMU, Air Force, Southern Miss, Tulane
ACC - Navy, Temple
SEC - South Florida, Tulsa, East Carolina

Reasoning.
The PAC is limited in it's choices out West. They don't have the Nevada market, Boise brings a very successful football program, BYU brings football and basketball if they can work out their "BYU issues", the PAC really doesn't have a presence in San Diego.

Since the SEC doesn't have a GOR, it might be mighty tempting for Missouri to finally get their wish of being in the mighty Big Ten. Connecticut gives them more of Northeast presence to compete with the ACC (Syracuse and BC).

Unless the Big 12 wanted to get into Florida, it has the same problems as the PAC. Limited choices with GOR's in effect. Cincinnati pairs with WVU. Houston/SMU brings back that SWC presence. They've looked at Air Force before. USM brings in a successful football program in the middle of SEC country as does Tulane and the New Orleans market. Possibly a Central Florida replacing a Southern Miss or SMU, if they want to get into Florida.

ACC would look at UConn, but with the B1G in the way, the ACC goes basketball again by adding Temple and takes Navy with it's history with Notre Dame and national recognition as an Academy much less the fact it replaces an area lost with the departure of Maryland.

If the SEC lost a Missouri to the Big Ten, then their options are really limited. They take South Florida whether Florida likes it or not which gives them a presence in North and South Florida just like the ACC has with FSU and Miami. Plus USF has been at the "BCS AQ level" for a few years now. Tulsa gives them a pretty decent football school in Big 12 country to counter the Big 12 moves into SEC territory. ECU may seem like a homer pick, but I only put the Pirates because most know the SEC wants into North Carolina. With the ACC GOR, UNC, NCSU, Duke and Wake are nonstarters. Memphis could be a possibility instead of ECU, but they already have Tennessee.

Remember this is just a hypothetical based on GORs, each conference going to 16 regardless of whether a school really moves the needle or not (TV revenue) and the eventual split of the Power 5 from the remaining Group of 5 or the NCAA altogether.

Interested in others thoughts ?? What say you?
04-23-2013 02:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
RE: If Each Of The Power 5 went to 16.........hypothetical................
The California schools in the Pac are academic snobs. They will need some major arm twisting to even consider ever associating with a Cal State (SDSU). They probably feel the same way about Boise. UNLV is always a possibility IF they build that stadium and put some money into football. Hawaii should get more play as a candidate. BYU may be crazy enough to reject the Pac.

The second these major universities, and the others comprising the Power 5, break away from the NCAA they risk losing tax-exempt status. Whether they care about that or not is another matter.
04-23-2013 02:52 AM
randaddyminer Offline
Banned

I Root For: UTEP miners
that's what I get for clicking
04-23-2013 04:04 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Typical an ECU fan thinks 16 schools would move and the 2nd largest one in the country isn't one of them. While schools that already have been passed up jump by us. Go back to bed you are still in a fog.
04-23-2013 06:27 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
In a word...no.
04-23-2013 07:36 AM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
Other than Missouri and UConn, frankly none of those schools have the profile currently to really be considered for a Power 5 league.
04-23-2013 08:09 AM
Advertisement

RIFRAF Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ECU
(04-23-2013 08:09 AM)CommuterBob Wrote:  Other than Missouri and UConn, frankly none of those schools have the profile currently to really be considered for a Power 5 league.
Don't necessarily disagree with you CommuterBob, however, I would add probably about 20% of the schools in the Power 5 don't themselves.
04-23-2013 08:40 AM
apex_pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina
(04-23-2013 06:27 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  Typical an ECU fan thinks 16 schools would move and the 2nd largest one in the country isn't one of them. While schools that already have been passed up jump by us. Go back to bed you are still in a fog.

I disagree with his list but also think your arrogance needs a check.
04-23-2013 08:45 AM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(04-23-2013 08:40 AM)RIFRAF Wrote:  
(04-23-2013 08:09 AM)CommuterBob Wrote:  Other than Missouri and UConn, frankly none of those schools have the profile currently to really be considered for a Power 5 league.
Don't necessarily disagree with you CommuterBob, however, I would add probably about 20% of the schools in the Power 5 don't themselves.

Might be more than 20%. I have long maintained that all but the upper echelon of power5 schools would not look particularly out of place in a non-AQ conference and many non-AQ's would not look particularly out of place as a middling/lower echelon team in a power-5 conference.
04-23-2013 08:59 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The only way i see missouri joining the big 10 would be if the big 10 also got Kansas to get to 16, uconn won't make missouri want the big 10 in fact uconn probably makes it less likely for missouri to join the big 10. Of course, i'm not even sure getting KU for the big 10 would make missouri move but I would jump if i were them with ku on board. Don't know how the big 10 could work getting KU with the politics of leaving KSU in the dumpster + the GOR in the big 12. I can't see the big 12 letting KU out of its GOR + that would probably also mean bye to WVU who replaces missouri in the sec. The only way the big 12 would be fine losing ku and wvu would be if espn and texas know the gig is up but are content to hang around the big 12 for awhile post KU and wvu leaving. Maybe bring in Colorado state and byu but the seeds would be set to blow up the league a few years down the road.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2013 09:24 AM by bluesox.)
04-23-2013 09:15 AM
ECUPirated Offline
NAPALMINATOR

(04-23-2013 06:27 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  Typical an ECU fan thinks 16 schools would move and the 2nd largest one in the country isn't one of them. While schools that already have been passed up jump by us. Go back to bed you are still in a fog.

I don't get this response? If the 2nd largest school you're speaking of is UCF, then I make mention of them possibly going to the Big 12.

I don't get a few of the responses on here. I posed the question as a hypothetical and gave my opinion with my reasoning for picking each school.

I don't get why some can't just give their opinions on which schools they think would be part of conferences going to 16 with all the GORs now in effect instead of feeling the need to critique my opinion or give no response whatsoever.
04-23-2013 09:18 AM
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

(04-23-2013 08:59 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Might be more than 20%. I have long maintained that all but the upper echelon of power5 schools would not look particularly out of place in a non-AQ conference and many non-AQ's would not look particularly out of place as a middling/lower echelon team in a power-5 conference.

You hear this a lot from the non-AQ schools, that there are a lot of P5 members that aren't carrying their weight but its not really true.

If you think about each P5 conference, you'll only find 1, mayyyyybe 2 whose membership is really unjustified. And by that they I mean they meet ALL the following criteria:

1) Redundant Market - They don't bring a unique, new market to the conference.

2) Poor Academics - Their academics are unimpressive compared to their peers (not AAU and or not a top 75 public or top 75 private)

3) Poor Athletics - Their athletics are unimpressive (rarely to never win National titles and or rarely or never win conference titles in the Big 4 sports)

You'd be hard pressed to name more than 5 or 6 P5 teams that meet that criteria. So its not like there are a ton of undeserving schools in the P5 who are taking away slots from "more deserving" G5 teams.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2013 10:04 AM by 10thMountain.)
04-23-2013 09:59 AM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
With Notre Dame having its foot in the door, the ACC really only has one opening. I wouldn't mind Navy but I'm not sure they deliver the Maryland/DC markets. Much has been said about the service academies academics. I'm not saying they are slouches. If they were included in the rankings I don't think they would rank very high. They are designed specifically to produce officers. Even if they could afford them, you would not find the type of professors that help with academic rankings. They are not geared toward producing students that win academic awards. Then there is the competition issue. I don't believe they bring anything on the research side.

Temple has similar issues. Do they deliver the Philadelphia market? Academics?
04-23-2013 10:01 AM
lew240z Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Wyoming
Air Force will never go to the Big 12. They can't recruit at that level and don't want the future Air Force officers getting beaten up trying to play at that level.

Missouri is not leaving the SEC. There is no longer any desire to be in the BiG. No one at UM gives a hot bucket what KU does and the feeling is mutual.

None of the OP's candidates for the PAC will ever get an invitation. No Cal State school will ever be acceptable to Cal and UCLA. Boise is viewed as a jumped up junior college. BYU will never be forgiven for the Mormon funding of the opposition to homosexual marriage.

The most likely candidate for the PAC or Big 12 is Colorado State. The are building a new stadium and have greatly raised the budget for coaches salaries. Also, CSU gets enough in the way of research grants to make the PAC happy.
04-23-2013 10:04 AM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
(04-23-2013 09:18 AM)ECUPirated Wrote:  

I don't get this response? If the 2nd largest school you're speaking of is UCF, then I make mention of them possibly going to the Big 12.

I don't get a few of the responses on here. I posed the question as a hypothetical and gave my opinion with my reasoning for picking each school.

I don't get why some can't just give their opinions on which schools they think would be part of conferences going to 16 with all the GORs now in effect instead of feeling the need to critique my opinion or give no response whatsoever.

I agree with those that contend the big dogs will want to LOSE existing members of their conferences instead of add, but I'll give my opinion on your OP:

PAC - Boise State is a regional college, not a public university. This means they are not just bad academically compared to the PAC, they are not even on the same radar. UNLV is a national university, but they do not even make the rankings list as a top 200 school. Both make great non-conference regional matchups for PAC schools, but they are never going to be in the same conference of the flagships. BYU needs to be whereever TCU and Baylor are (huge cultural and academic fit). San Diego State would make a great partner with Washington State, Oregon State, and Arizona State if they ever broke away from the flagships, but San Diego State is weaker in all categories than those three schools. They add nothing as the PAC is currently constituted. UNLV would fit well in that "State" school conference, as well.

BIG - Missouri and UCONN are in the realm of possibility over the next few decades. If the BIG could lure Kansas, I would not blame Missouri if they went to the BIG. However, that is about a dozen steps away from being able to happen.

Big 12 - The need to add BYU next, IMO. Cincinnati would not be awful if the know WVU is staying. The rest of those schools need to stick together and make the AAC and MWC the strongest of the tier 2 conferences.

ACC - If Notre Dame is going to remain kissing cousins, they only need to add one school. I think UCONN would be a strong move to lock up New England based on the options now available. I know Boston College is being difficult about it, but they need to get over it.

SEC - There is no way that the SEC would reject Florida State and Clemson for years, yet let in South Florida and East Carolina a few years later. Objectively, both South Florida and East Carolina are worse academically, athletically, and profitability wise that either of the Mississippi schools. If rumors are correct from a few years ago, Oklahoma was ready to come to the SEC if Ok. State could be part of the package. The SEC did not want State even if it meant getting Oklahoma. I don't think the SEC would turn down both OK schools but then go back and invite Tulsa a few years later.

All in all, UCONN and BYU have the profile to bring value to one of the 5 major conferences. Cincinnati would be "doesn't hurt, but doesn't help" add for the Big 12 if they got into a numbers game. Other than that, I don't see any other school moving the needle in a positive direction for an existing power conference. I did contend in a post last week that some conferences could benefit on paper by LOSING a member of their existing conference.
04-23-2013 10:08 AM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(04-23-2013 08:59 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

I'd say that 20% is too high - that would be 12-13 schools out of the 65 in Power 5 conferences. I'd say that there are realistically 1-3 schools that don't really belong as of today.

That said, times change. Schools change. There will be more opportunity to move schools up, but not for a long while. Maybe the end of the first 12-year playoff we will see more movement.
04-23-2013 10:15 AM
Advertisement

bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
(04-23-2013 10:04 AM)lew240z Wrote:  Air Force will never go to the Big 12. They can't recruit at that level and don't want the future Air Force officers getting beaten up trying to play at that level.

Missouri is not leaving the SEC. There is no longer any desire to be in the BiG. No one at UM gives a hot bucket what KU does and the feeling is mutual.

None of the OP's candidates for the PAC will ever get an invitation. No Cal State school will ever be acceptable to Cal and UCLA. Boise is viewed as a jumped up junior college. BYU will never be forgiven for the Mormon funding of the opposition to homosexual marriage.

The most likely candidate for the PAC or Big 12 is Colorado State. The are building a new stadium and have greatly raised the budget for coaches salaries. Also, CSU gets enough in the way of research grants to make the PAC happy.

I do not get the appeal of Colorado State to the PAC, but a lot of people from that region trumpet them, so I won't poo poo it. However, what do they add that is not already provided by UC-Boulder? I know pickings are slim out there. If they were to double up in that market, I think the PAC would like to see Wyoming devote the next decade to improving their overall brand and adding that flagship down the road instead of another state school. Wyoming is really not that far off from Utah right now other than not being in a population growth trend. Wyoming is #156 academic, $30 mil revenue. Utah is #125 academic, $46 mil revenue, but that number was $38 mil last year (bump to the PAC surely helped.) Wyoming does not have any other state schools to funnel away dollars or attention. I'm not for the PAC adding them straight up, but they seem like a more sensible add in the coming decades rather than Colorado State.

Curious... why do small population states like New Mexico, Nevada, Idaho, and Montana continue to operate two large schools that are mediocre in almost everything (academics, athletics, research, etc.) but not great in anything for an extended period? It seems they would want a singular great school as the flagship and treat the state school as the complement, similar to how MO, MN, WI, IL, WA, OR and a number of other states operate. If those Western states would make that concerted effort and get their flagships into the top 100 academically, raise their research and athletic profiles, and build a brand that had the whole state behind them, I'm sure the PAC would love it. They just all seem content to have two schools that are both outside the top 150 academically, revenues between 20-40 mil, and can never get over the hump to becoming elite.
04-23-2013 10:29 AM
ECUPirated Offline
NAPALMINATOR

(04-23-2013 10:08 AM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  
(04-23-2013 09:18 AM)ECUPirated Wrote:  

I agree with those that contend the big dogs will want to LOSE existing members of their conferences instead of add, but I'll give my opinion on your OP:

PAC - Boise State is a regional college, not a public university. This means they are not just bad academically compared to the PAC, they are not even on the same radar. UNLV is a national university, but they do not even make the rankings list as a top 200 school. Both make great non-conference regional matchups for PAC schools, but they are never going to be in the same conference of the flagships. BYU needs to be whereever TCU and Baylor are (huge cultural and academic fit). San Diego State would make a great partner with Washington State, Oregon State, and Arizona State if they ever broke away from the flagships, but San Diego State is weaker in all categories than those three schools. They add nothing as the PAC is currently constituted. UNLV would fit well in that "State" school conference, as well.

BIG - Missouri and UCONN are in the realm of possibility over the next few decades. If the BIG could lure Kansas, I would not blame Missouri if they went to the BIG. However, that is about a dozen steps away from being able to happen.

Big 12 - The need to add BYU next, IMO. Cincinnati would not be awful if the know WVU is staying. The rest of those schools need to stick together and make the AAC and MWC the strongest of the tier 2 conferences.

ACC - If Notre Dame is going to remain kissing cousins, they only need to add one school. I think UCONN would be a strong move to lock up New England based on the options now available. I know Boston College is being difficult about it, but they need to get over it.

SEC - There is no way that the SEC would reject Florida State and Clemson for years, yet let in South Florida and East Carolina a few years later. Objectively, both South Florida and East Carolina are worse academically, athletically, and profitability wise that either of the Mississippi schools. If rumors are correct from a few years ago, Oklahoma was ready to come to the SEC if Ok. State could be part of the package. The SEC did not want State even if it meant getting Oklahoma. I don't think the SEC would turn down both OK schools but then go back and invite Tulsa a few years later.

All in all, UCONN and BYU have the profile to bring value to one of the 5 major conferences. Cincinnati would be "doesn't hurt, but doesn't help" add for the Big 12 if they got into a numbers game. Other than that, I don't see any other school moving the needle in a positive direction for an existing power conference. I did contend in a post last week that some conferences could benefit on paper by LOSING a member of their existing conference.

All valid points, but keep in mind that this whole scenario is based on the thought that no schools would leave a conference with a GOR, so the Power 5 wouldn't be pulling schools from conferences with a GOR in place (PAC/B12/B1G/ACC). At least not over the next 5-10 years. I mean, I get that the SEC would much rather have an Oklahoma than a Tulsa, but what if they had no choice. So in order to get to 16 say in the next few years, many of the schools would have to come from the Group of 5 or FCS. I'm just wondering if they were forced to do it that way to get to 80 schools and split the FBS (Div I) again like they did in 1978, what schools other than Power Conference schools might get the call for whatever reason.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2013 10:33 AM by ECUPirated.)
04-23-2013 10:32 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

well..at least 3 of those, Nevada, New Mexico and Idaho, you'll notice geography as a big factor with one in the far north of the state and one in the far south. This made sense back in the day when travel isn't as easy as it is today and population centers were not as disparate in size.

But you are correct that several of them would benefit from merging (IMO BSU and Idaho make the MOST sense to merge and create The University of Idaho at Boise, a viable PAC candidate) but ego prevents that.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2013 10:36 AM by 10thMountain.)
04-23-2013 10:35 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Well, no conference has to get to 16 so its better off not adding anybody than bringing in bad fits. Some moves i could see now are the big 12 brining in byu football only and copy the big 10 format with 11 school's, thus they drop down to 8 conference games. I could see the acc bring in some school's for more content but i think its harder to make divisions at 16 than either 14 or 18 for the acc. Unless the GOR isn't effective, i don't see the pac, sec or big 10 making any moves.
04-23-2013 10:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.