Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Georgia Southern rubes in melt down mode.
Bookmark and Share
Walter Sobchak Offline
Banned

I Root For: Ga Southern
Smile Georgia Southern rubes in melt down mode.
http://www.gsufans.com/tsc/showthread.ph...ence/page8
Civil war on gsufans.com. lovely group over there.
How anyone could argue that this move up isn't great for Georgia southern, is beyond my understanding.
The absolute terrified fear of change among some of those in Eagle Nation is embarrassing. It's a shame that some people insist on being dragged toward progress.
Most of the rubes who have a problem with the move up are fans of other FBS teams. That's the ugly truth of that whole argument. It will be nice to see how those who label themselves as "half eagle" fans respond when we start winning FBS games. Chances are they will be bragging the loudest, claiming to have been all for the move all along.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2013 08:34 PM by Walter Sobchak.)
04-21-2013 08:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

fencereagle Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GaSo
RE: Georgia Southern rubes in melt down mode.
(04-21-2013 08:25 PM)Walter Sobchak Wrote:  http://www.gsufans.com/tsc/showthread.ph...ence/page8
How anyone could argue that this move up isn't great for Georgia southern, is beyond my understanding.
The absolute terrified fear of change among some of those in Eagle Nation is embarrassing. It's a shame that some people insist on being dragged toward progress.
Most of the rubes who have a problem with the move up are fans of other FBS teams. That's the ugly truth of that whole argument. It will be nice to see how those who label themselves as "half eagle" fans respond when we start winning FBS games. Chances are they will be bragging the loudest, claiming to have been all for the move all along.

I don't mean to be flippant but it almost seems like you haven't ever gone to GaSo. (I'm sure you have, just sayin.) I can totally see half of the Statesboro townies being bent out of shape that their little world is going to change so much. They were the 'big fish' now they are going to be 'normies' and they don't like that. All of their 'reasons' are just bluster and misdirections the truth is they have lived their whole lives in a small town because they never wanted to try their hand at somewhere bigger and so of course they have the small town mentality.
04-21-2013 09:44 PM
6FlagsOverGeorgiaSouthern Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GA Southern
(04-21-2013 09:44 PM)fencereagle Wrote:  
(04-21-2013 08:25 PM)Walter Sobchak Wrote:  http://www.gsufans.com/tsc/showthread.ph...ence/page8

I don't mean to be flippant but it almost seems like you haven't ever gone to GaSo. (I'm sure you have, just sayin.) I can totally see half of the Statesboro townies being bent out of shape that their little world is going to change so much. They were the 'big fish' now they are going to be 'normies' and they don't like that. All of their 'reasons' are just bluster and misdirections the truth is they have lived their whole lives in a small town because they never wanted to try their hand at somewhere bigger and so of course they have the small town mentality.

From my personal experience talking to people, there are some local folks that aren't necessarily alumni that was more unhappy with the move. I know that some alums may have preferred not to move, but by and large, I've met many more people that support it and are very supportive of it than anything else.

Aside from current alums, think of the future alums, the current students. Without their vote, we wouldn't be here now. That should speak volumes about support across the board.

FWIW, I've been hoping for this opportunity for a long while now, as have basically all of my old college friends. We used to talk about etc back during 02-06 or so before the wheels fell off during the dark years. Admittedly, I didn't know if it would be possible during those times, but the new situation that came about with Monken came at just the right time. Georgia Southern got its swagger back, and it capitalizing on it.

GO EAGLES!
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2013 10:09 PM by 6FlagsOverGeorgiaSouthern.)
04-21-2013 10:08 PM
fencereagle Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GaSo
(04-21-2013 10:08 PM)6FlagsOverGeorgiaSouthern Wrote:  

From my personal experience talking to people, there are some local folks that aren't necessarily alumni that was more unhappy with the move. I know that some alums may have preferred not to move, but by and large, I've met many more people that support it and are very supportive of it than anything else.

Aside from current alums, think of the future alums, the current students. Without their vote, we wouldn't be here now. That should speak volumes about support across the board.

FWIW, I've been hoping for this opportunity for a long while now, as have basically all of my old college friends. We used to talk about etc back during 02-06 or so before the wheels fell off during the dark years. Admittedly, I didn't know if it would be possible during those times, but the new situation that came about with Monken came at just the right time. Georgia Southern got its swagger back, and it capitalizing on it.

GO EAGLES!

You bring up a very good point that no one has really mentioned much. It's not about us alums any more. We are just spectators watching on the sideline trying to relive good memories of the school days. What matters is the opinion of those that are IN school now, not those of us that watch on with fond memories. And they have clearly and loudly spoken.
04-21-2013 10:21 PM
Advertisement

Walter Sobchak Offline
Banned

Lived in the boro from 91-96. Some of the best years of my life. I know the town. The people you desrcibe have thus far run the program as they wished though. Now is the dawning of a new era. It can't be understated. The tide has turned and it's a great thing. I'm just pointing out the last throws of a dying mentality about gsu football.
Mark my words, the rubes as I call them, will try to pull "van gorder" on TK. Watch. They are going to kick and scream a little more before its all over.
Viva la Sun Belt. GATA
04-21-2013 11:27 PM
eagleskins Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU
Same bunch of hayseeds that have drug the program down since Sammy came on board. ThUGA fans first and foremost, who get pissed at night games because it interferes with church.
04-21-2013 11:56 PM
southern edumacation Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GaSou
(04-21-2013 11:27 PM)Walter Sobchak Wrote:  

Lived in the boro from 91-96. Some of the best years of my life. I know the town. The people you desrcibe have thus far run the program as they wished though. Now is the dawning of a new era. It can't be understated. The tide has turned and it's a great thing. I'm just pointing out the last throws of a dying mentality about gsu football.
Mark my words, the rubes as I call them, will try to pull "van gorder" on TK. Watch. They are going to kick and scream a little more before its all over.
Viva la Sun Belt. GATA

hopefully if they really pull a van gorder they just skip town in the middle of the night and go somewhere else.
04-22-2013 01:45 PM
Advertisement

6FlagsOverGeorgiaSouthern Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GA Southern
(04-22-2013 01:45 PM)southern edumacation Wrote:  
(04-21-2013 11:27 PM)Walter Sobchak Wrote:  

Viva la Sun Belt. GATA

hopefully if they really pull a van gorder they just skip town in the middle of the night and go somewhere else.

And likewise, as with VanGorder, no one will be all that upset when they do leave.
04-22-2013 05:26 PM
Walter Sobchak Offline
Banned

Yeah right. You know what I mean when I say they will try to pull a BVG on TK. For those uninitiated to Statesboro, rubes unhappy with this move up will try to label him as a Yankee, and run him and his family out of town. Mostly by making life so miserable for all of them that they leave.
04-22-2013 06:37 PM
eagleskins Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU
Yankee. I still laugh every time I hear that term.
04-22-2013 07:31 PM
Advertisement

eagle9098 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS

Never wanted to try anything bigger????? The football program started in 1981. Thats not very long ago. Look at the success in the short amount of time. I might get your statement if GS had started back in the 50's but its not the case. It has taken alot to get where GS is. Remember that GS used to be a teachers college. Many of the older alum are retired teachers. GS hasnt had the money coming in like many others have over the past years. I think they have done very well, matter of fact better than any school out there considering the circumstances and the time frame in which the have done it. To say they havent wanted to try anything is just not the case. They are now and with their rapid growth, and being in the state they are in, plus their region and recruiting opportunities I think they will fare very well.
04-23-2013 12:33 PM
Walter Sobchak Offline
Banned

The blowback is all from:
1. rubes who drive around town with a G on their truck.
2. Rubes who like their close parking spots and insider access.
3. Rubes who are dreadfully terrified of change.

Should've made this move 10 years ago, but not for our charlatan keds wearing former A.D.
04-23-2013 11:47 PM
Walter Sobchak Offline
Banned

Ranch eaters.
04-24-2013 08:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.