UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NBR: Samford vs Kentucky at BJCC next year (getting bought out)
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
MyBB NBR: Samford vs Kentucky at BJCC next year (getting bought out)
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/..._selt.html

Samford's schedule next year does include a game at BJCC Arena against Kentucky, and Seltzer said the Bulldogs are going to play at Indiana, which is where he coached prior to taking this job.

Looks like good things going on in Homewood. If things continue UAB vs Samford could be a compelling series...
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2013 09:29 AM by UABslant.)
04-18-2013 08:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Southside Blazer 82 Offline
Special Teams

NBR: Samford vs Kentucky at BJCC next year
How can it be a compelling series unless we play each other? Are we playing each other?
04-19-2013 01:35 AM
Dracorex Offline
Heisman

RE: NBR: Samford vs Kentucky at BJCC next year
(04-19-2013 01:35 AM)Southside Blazer 82 Wrote:  How can it be a compelling series unless we play each other? Are we playing each other?

4x and we're 4-0

81, 82, & 83 and 2009

The 2009 game was in the M.A.C. Center in Kent, OH (Hispanic College Fund Tournament)

It isn't even a compelling game just yet. It is not like we can go to Samford's arena. The place is too small (it only holds 4954) Both fan bases wouldn't fit
04-19-2013 06:21 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
What? Too small. Naa We have played in much smaller arenas. I would play them home and home first game of the season. It would be a deaf to home game for us and we would get the road bump in RPI. When it is at Bartow it wod be a little better than the crowds we had vs BSC. I say play them. I would rather play them than Troy.

As for the other state schools I would do two for ones. USA home and home. Bama and Auburn Birmjngham or nothing but it doesn't look like we will have to worry about either one of those teams.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2013 06:54 AM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
04-19-2013 06:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
We played at Jacksonville State a couple of years ago.
04-19-2013 07:18 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(04-19-2013 06:51 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  What? Too small. Naa We have played in much smaller arenas. I would play them home and home first game of the season. It would be a deaf to home game for us and we would get the road bump in RPI. When it is at Bartow it wod be a little better than the crowds we had vs BSC. I say play them. I would rather play them than Troy.

As for the other state schools I would do two for ones. USA home and home. Bama and Auburn Birmjngham or nothing but it doesn't look like we will have to worry about either one of those teams.

I have no problem playing Alabama or Auburn home and home.
04-19-2013 08:24 AM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Me neither as long as the 1st game is at our home.
04-19-2013 08:32 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(04-19-2013 08:32 AM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Me neither as long as the 1st game is at our home.

I don't even think that is important.
04-19-2013 08:33 AM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(04-19-2013 06:51 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  What? Too small. Naa We have played in much smaller arenas. I would play them home and home first game of the season. It would be a deaf to home game for us and we would get the road bump in RPI. When it is at Bartow it wod be a little better than the crowds we had vs BSC. I say play them. I would rather play them than Troy.

I'm all for playing Samford in basketball... That said, since they will eventually win a game if we play them enough times; when that happens I reserve the right to pretend that I always thought playing them was a stupid idea and that coach Whoeveritisthen should be fired!
04-19-2013 08:57 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
(04-19-2013 08:33 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(04-19-2013 08:32 AM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Me neither as long as the 1st game is at our home.

I take it you enjoyed that Virginia game at Bartow Arena?
04-19-2013 08:57 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

They paid to get out of it. I'm sure Mike Davis enjoyed playing us this year.
04-19-2013 09:13 AM
Advertisement

KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

(04-19-2013 08:57 AM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  

I'm all for playing Samford in basketball... That said, since they will eventually win a game if we play them enough times; when that happens I reserve the right to pretend that I always thought playing them was a stupid idea and that coach Whoeveritisthen should be fired!

I love it! BlazerMatt, you speak the truth.
04-19-2013 09:50 AM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(04-19-2013 08:33 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  

I do. How many homes and homes with name opponents have been scheduled only to play the first game at their arena, then them buy out of the game at Bartow?

Screw that noise, if our team can walk onto your hostile court, you can by God come play on ours.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2013 02:06 PM by UAB Band Dad.)
04-19-2013 02:05 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

& we do deserve the return game here because these are high profile games.

The publicity that we would receive is better than just the money received for a buy out.
04-19-2013 02:08 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

Getting the home and home series is most important even if you agree to play on the road first. Who plays first should not be a deal breaker. Then you either get a payoff or you get a good home game. No loss either way.
04-19-2013 02:31 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
(04-19-2013 02:31 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Getting the home and home series is most important even if you agree to play on the road first. Who plays first should not be a deal breaker. Then you either get a payoff or you get a good home game. No loss either way.

No, it's not all good: the game at Bartow has far more value to UAB than the game at Charlottesville has to UVA. The buyout will not reflect the loss in marketing, season ticket sales or what it will do for the program's profile. We need every high-profile game we can get to build the fanbase and season ticket base. UVA will have good teams come into their gym in-conference regardless of their dealings with us.

The buyout is not an acceptable alternative; it turns a deal between equals into a buy game. And even in our Davis-induced crapulence UAB should not be playing buy games with the likes of UVA.

Second, it is underhanded dirty dealing on the part of UVA. They made a deal. They welched. Paying the buyout does not make it all good. They are untrustworthy business partners.
04-19-2013 03:50 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(04-19-2013 03:50 PM)58-56 Wrote:  
(04-19-2013 02:31 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Getting the home and home series is most important even if you agree to play on the road first. Who plays first should not be a deal breaker. Then you either get a payoff or you get a good home game. No loss either way.

No, it's not all good: the game at Bartow has far more value to UAB than the game at Charlottesville has to UVA. The buyout will not reflect the loss in marketing, season ticket sales or what it will do for the program's profile. We need every high-profile game we can get to build the fanbase and season ticket base. UVA will have good teams come into their gym in-conference regardless of their dealings with us.

The buyout is not an acceptable alternative; it turns a deal between equals into a buy game. And even in our Davis-induced crapulence UAB should not be playing buy games with the likes of UVA.

Second, it is underhanded dirty dealing on the part of UVA. They made a deal. They welched. Paying the buyout does not make it all good. They are untrustworthy business partners.

That may all be true, but UAB doesn't benefit from losing the chance at playing a home and home by making Bartow Arena being the first game a non-negotiable point. Like it or not, we need them more than they need us in terms of scheduling, so if they insist on the first home game, we need to agree to it and hope fore the best.
04-19-2013 04:16 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(04-19-2013 04:16 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(04-19-2013 03:50 PM)58-56 Wrote:  

That may all be true, but UAB doesn't benefit from losing the chance at playing a home and home by making Bartow Arena being the first game a non-negotiable point. Like it or not, we need them more than they need us in terms of scheduling, so if they insist on the first home game, we need to agree to it and hope fore the best.

BOTH of you make valid points UAB should consider when making a contract from its weaker position with any BCS type team. It was true of the FB contract with Ole Miss as well. A buy out is not equal in value for a team in UAB's position to a home game actually played. Bama has played USM dozens of times in the last 60 years but how many have been played in Hattiesburg?

The "Power of the Purse" is just as true in sports as it is in any other business dealing.

Look at the troubles Boise State has had, even with their awesome record, at getting BCS schools to agree to H & H schedules. About 80% to 90% of their games against BCS opponents have been at the BCS home field or in a "special event" game at a neutral site.
04-19-2013 05:37 PM
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

Calipari is using this game as a recruiting tool. There are some really good basketball players coming along in not only 2014 but beyond(there is a 2017 kid - a Hoover 8th grader who is 6'8", 200+ lbs and ranked #14 player in the nation and the kid from Madison Academy who is 2013 Alabama Gatorade player of the year as a freshman, for example). Calipari and the college basketball world know this and any recruiting advantage they can get is a benefit. And, of course, a road game and win for his very young squad.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2013 06:30 PM by WesternBlazer.)
04-19-2013 06:29 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
It will basically be a Kentucky home game. They will flood the BJCC.

Agree with 58-56. Birmingham or Go jump in a lake.

UAB does not need those two programs. If they want to play fine. We play in Birmingham. If not there are other (better) programs that will play us home and home.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2013 06:47 PM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
04-19-2013 06:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.