Pet Peeve: Huskie Hand Gesture Thingy
Bookmark and Share
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU
Pet Peeve: Huskie Hand Gesture Thingy
Example:
[Image: 534265_10151610925761974_1290822128_n.jpg]

For some reason, it's caught on the last few years, and I hate it. Anybody else?
04-15-2013 06:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

RE: Pet Peeve: Huskie Hand Gesture Thingy
I don't hate anything Huskie related.
04-15-2013 07:43 PM
niuguy Offline
The first in, last out!

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Look at all that disgusting huskies pride!
04-15-2013 08:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

It's a pet peeve when people do the longhorn not the huskie. Shouldn't bother you, people have been doing it for awhile, just more recognition for a few years. Players have done it quite a few times.
04-15-2013 09:02 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I remember a male cheerleader doing that more than a decade ago. I found it annoying too.
04-15-2013 09:53 PM
MileHighHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
I am excited about it, anything that catches new fans excites me. Kids came home from the Orange Bowl doing it. Come on man, everyone is doing it.... we all are, all the cool kids. 7, time to be a cool kid and do the Huskie thing with your hand. What to call it? Hang Loose? No, how about Hang Huskie?
04-15-2013 09:54 PM
Advertisement

huskiealum03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU & Go Go Sox
heres a solution: don't look at it
04-15-2013 09:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chihuskie Offline
Heisman

(04-15-2013 09:54 PM)MileHighHuskie Wrote:  I am excited about it, anything that catches new fans excites me. Kids came home from the Orange Bowl doing it. Come on man, everyone is doing it.... we all are, all the cool kids. 7, time to be a cool kid and do the Huskie thing with your hand. What to call it? Hang Loose? No, how about Hang Huskie?

Exactly!
04-15-2013 10:03 PM
numbersdontlie Offline
Livin in a van down by the river.

Re: Pet Peeve: Huskie Hand Gesture Thingy
Nope. Do it all the time... But I'll give you the bird instead if you prefer.
04-16-2013 05:47 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-15-2013 09:02 PM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  It's a pet peeve when people do the longhorn not the huskie. Shouldn't bother you, people have been doing it for awhile, just more recognition for a few years. Players have done it quite a few times.

Doeren did it most of the times I saw him.

LOL the first time I saw him do it he still didn't seem to get it. He just moved his hand like he was using a sock puppet.
04-16-2013 08:30 AM
NIU8484 Offline
All American

7, I agree this is pretty tacky...am I correct when I assume you are a disciple of the Boers and Bernstein mentatility with sports?

It brings to mind something that has bothered me and I am probably going to get destroyed for this, but I'm willing to take the risk: I feel uncomfortable with the 5 fingers salute as it pertains to the Feb. 14th, 2008 shootings. Maybe for that year or 2 following the deaths, but at this point you have a bunch of people with no connection to the situation out there doing it at a sporting event, it just comes off as phony. Half the crowd is drunk, probably 10 people at the game actually knew the parties lost, and it's a football game, not a mass or vigil, it just seems inappropriate....has just always bothered me
04-16-2013 08:45 AM
Advertisement

bigredmachine Offline
2nd String

Wow! 7, I TOTALLY disagree with you. What NIU needs are any symbols, traditions, etc. that can rally the fans, bring enthusiasm, recognition, etc. This symbol actually started around the Cal Bowl in 1983. I'm thrilled to see this resurface and hope it sticks. Let's get behind whatever the younger fans want and not tear down every initiative. We need to seize the post-OB period and this symbol is more than fine with me.
04-16-2013 08:57 AM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

(04-16-2013 08:45 AM)NIU8484 Wrote:  7, I agree this is pretty tacky...am I correct when I assume you are a disciple of the Boers and Bernstein mentatility with sports?

It brings to mind something that has bothered me and I am probably going to get destroyed for this, but I'm willing to take the risk: I feel uncomfortable with the 5 fingers salute as it pertains to the Feb. 14th, 2008 shootings. Maybe for that year or 2 following the deaths, but at this point you have a bunch of people with no connection to the situation out there doing it at a sporting event, it just comes off as phony. Half the crowd is drunk, probably 10 people at the game actually knew the parties lost, and it's a football game, not a mass or vigil, it just seems inappropriate....has just always bothered me

People there may not know the ones lost, but they are connected to it. The entire university and anyone who represents the university will always be connected to it. My friends who knew about it passed it down to our friends as we graduate. Also, the team knows about it. That's how they choose to honor them. They play the 4th quarter for them. Not phony, I can see your issue, but as I said if you're connected to NIU you're connected to the shooting and honoring those lost.
04-16-2013 09:51 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-16-2013 08:57 AM)bigredmachine Wrote:  Wow! 7, I TOTALLY disagree with you. What NIU needs are any symbols, traditions, etc. that can rally the fans, bring enthusiasm, recognition, etc. This symbol actually started around the Cal Bowl in 1983. I'm thrilled to see this resurface and hope it sticks. Let's get behind whatever the younger fans want and not tear down every initiative. We need to seize the post-OB period and this symbol is more than fine with me.

The issue is not the symbol its people using the wrong symbol.

The gentleman in the pic is doing the hand gesture which is known at "hook em horns" by Texas fans....not the "Go Huskies" (as athletics calls it) which the girl is doing properly.

It seems like something that athletics maybe could do a fun PSA on the new jumbotron some time during a game.
04-16-2013 09:57 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

The older I get, the less I identify with slogans and gestures at NIU. I used to eat it all up, now it's more....... meh /

YMMV.
04-16-2013 09:59 AM
DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-16-2013 09:57 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  
(04-16-2013 08:57 AM)bigredmachine Wrote:  Wow! 7, I TOTALLY disagree with you. What NIU needs are any symbols, traditions, etc. that can rally the fans, bring enthusiasm, recognition, etc. This symbol actually started around the Cal Bowl in 1983. I'm thrilled to see this resurface and hope it sticks. Let's get behind whatever the younger fans want and not tear down every initiative. We need to seize the post-OB period and this symbol is more than fine with me.

The gentleman in the pic is doing the hand gesture which is known at "hook em horns" by Texas fans....not the "Go Huskies" (as athletics calls it) which the girl is doing properly.

It seems like something that athletics maybe could do a fun PSA on the new jumbotron some time during a game.

Right after they teach the fight song.

Although a small part of me finds our collective inability to sing the fight song or get hand gestures right sort of endearing in a "that's so NIU" kind of way.
04-16-2013 11:11 AM
Advertisement

HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-16-2013 11:11 AM)DogTracks Wrote:  
(04-16-2013 09:57 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

Right after they teach the fight song.

Although a small part of me finds our collective inability to sing the fight song or get hand gestures right sort of endearing in a "that's so NIU" kind of way.

03-lmfao so true
04-16-2013 11:19 AM
PeoriaHuskie11 Offline
1st String

I love doing it. But I only do it at the end of the fight song.
04-16-2013 11:44 AM
NiuCoils Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU HUSKIES

Donators
(04-16-2013 08:45 AM)NIU8484 Wrote:  7, I agree this is pretty tacky...am I correct when I assume you are a disciple of the Boers and Bernstein mentatility with sports?

Disagree about the huskie gesture. I do it often, in fact it's instinctively the first thing I do when I see other Huskies on the road. It beats mouthing "go huskies" or fumbling around for something with the logo to wave IMHO.

Agree about five fingers. It's felt more awkward to me every year since the first one or two. I pretty much stopped doing it last year.
04-16-2013 12:15 PM
HuskieBowWow Offline
All American

This is just stupid. Makes it look like we are rooting for the Longhorns. Especially those watching on TV would have to wonder why our fans are rooting for another school.
04-16-2013 12:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.