Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Schedule the MAC for football more often
TampaKnight Offline
Knight Family

I Root For: The American
Schedule the MAC for football more often
Toledo, Ball State, Ohio, Miami, Bowling Green, Kent State and NIU.

Great bunch of schools to choose from.

Akron, Buffalo, Massachusetts, CMU, EMU, WMU, work on your game, but I would love for UCF to schedule Buffalo or Central Michigan in the future.

Not much of a MAC apologist, but it seems strange that some of us decide to schedule FCS instead of schools that will challenge us.
04-12-2013 09:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: Schedule the MAC for football more often
(04-12-2013 09:16 AM)TampaKnight Wrote:  Toledo, Ball State, Ohio, Miami, Bowling Green, Kent State and NIU.

Akron, Buffalo, Massachusetts, CMU, EMU, WMU, work on your game, but I would love for UCF to schedule Buffalo or Central Michigan in the future.

Not much of a MAC apologist, but it seems strange that some of us decide to schedule FCS instead of schools that will challenge us.

We only schedule regionally. Rarely do FCS, prefer big 5.
04-12-2013 09:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
The ideal OOC foe is beatable but has a big name, bottom-feeder members of contract conferences. The dumbest thing you can do is schedule no-name schools which are fully capable to whipping your butt. The trick is predicting several years in advance, as is necessary in scheduling.
04-12-2013 09:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
CMU and WMU can and will put up a fight in any game, EMU can be full of one hit wonders. However, the earlier schools will look better for a resume for post season.
04-12-2013 09:55 AM
UofLgrad07 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
(04-12-2013 09:16 AM)TampaKnight Wrote:  Not much of a MAC apologist, but it seems strange that some of us decide to schedule FCS instead of schools that will challenge us.

It's not strange at all if you think about it. Home games are where teams with good attendance make their money. Schools can schedule FCS teams as a one-and-done series and get an extra home game on the schedule every year. That is more money in the athletic department's pocket.

MAC programs don't appear willing to sign those type of contract with conferences outside the SEC or Big 10 (i.e. conferences that have the money to make one-and-done contracts valuable for the MAC). AAC teams are probably going to have to sign a 1-and-1 contract (i.e. give up a home game) to get a MAC school on the schedule.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 10:42 AM by UofLgrad07.)
04-12-2013 10:27 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

the MAC is a strange bird. Its like their programs are content with the status-quo
04-12-2013 10:29 AM
Advertisement

tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
I could care less about the MAC. We need to schedule up, not down unless its some sort of regional game. To get a team into the playoffs, then all of our OOC games need to be legit. As a Memphis fan, I hope we schedule ACC and Big12.
04-12-2013 10:49 AM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
Ohio has a 1 for 1 in the future with Cincinnati.

I have always thought that Ohio should be playing Temple regularly since there is a rivalry from their MAC days.
04-12-2013 10:55 AM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
(04-12-2013 09:16 AM)TampaKnight Wrote:  Toledo, Ball State, Ohio, Miami, Bowling Green, Kent State and NIU.

It would make sense for the AAC to play the MAC rather than CUSA/SBC schools from which most of the AAC is trying to gain separation from for an easy G5 game.
04-12-2013 10:58 AM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
I have a lot of respect for the MAC. NIU is a great program....I really respect Toledo and Ohio as well.... The MAC beats the Big Ten pretty regularly. Having said all that I like regional games for OOC. FIU, FAY...any southern SEC or ACC team works well for me...
04-12-2013 11:06 AM
Knights_of_UCF Offline
Heisman

MAC sucks. I'm still pissed were playing akron, although its pretty much like playing an FCS team. Our worst nightmare came true when we had to play ball st in the bowl game, what a waste and an uninteresting opponent for our fanbase. At least a sun belt school would have been regionally appealing.
04-12-2013 11:33 AM
Advertisement

AusTxPony Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
Can't see SMU going out of Texas for OOC games (10 FBS teams in state), unless Arkansas, Ole Miss, or OKSU. We need their fans to travel well to fill up our stadium.
04-12-2013 11:37 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

For the record. I'd be down with a 1 game at home sort of set up, but there is no way I'm agreeing to a home and home with a MAC school.
04-12-2013 11:41 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(04-12-2013 09:55 AM)DexterDevil Wrote:  CMU and WMU can and will put up a fight in any game, EMU can be full of one hit wonders. However, the earlier schools will look better for a resume for post season.

Toledo beat us last year. We knew they were a damn good team, but instead of Toledo getting credit for a big win, we get shuttled out of the top 25.

If we lose just as close of a game to MSU, it's a different deal.
04-12-2013 11:43 AM
Bleeds_Purple Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina!
(04-12-2013 11:43 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 09:55 AM)DexterDevil Wrote:  CMU and WMU can and will put up a fight in any game, EMU can be full of one hit wonders. However, the earlier schools will look better for a resume for post season.

Toledo beat us last year. We knew they were a damn good team, but instead of Toledo getting credit for a big win, we get shuttled out of the top 25.

If we lose just as close of a game to MSU, it's a different deal.

The Rockets are the upset kings of the MAC
04-12-2013 12:22 PM
RedMountain Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ASU, UPenn, UH
Maybe if they are regional to you, but I can't see that happening for any teams South of Memphis.
04-12-2013 12:27 PM
Advertisement

Knightshift Offline
1st String

I respect the MAC, and if we were more regional to those teams, I would have no problem scheduling them. But the truth is, unless you're having a hard time filling a hole in the schedule, or just can't find something better, there is little reason for non-regional schools to schedule MAC teams. Once we're done with Akron this season, I hope we can keep our OOC schedule limited to schools who are regional or ones that we know will draw a big crowd. FIU has been a decent series. I think FAU would, too. I wouldn't be surprised to see them on the schedule starting in 2015. If Miami would be willing to do another 1-and-1 at some point, great, but I know the other two won't.
04-12-2013 12:52 PM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
(04-12-2013 11:41 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  For the record. I'd be down with a 1 game at home sort of set up, but there is no way I'm agreeing to a home and home with a MAC school.

Aw c'mon man, Boise State did, as will Miami and Missouri in the near future...04-cheers
04-12-2013 12:54 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
No
04-12-2013 12:54 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

(04-12-2013 12:54 PM)FMRocket Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 11:41 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  For the record. I'd be down with a 1 game at home sort of set up, but there is no way I'm agreeing to a home and home with a MAC school.

Aw c'mon man, Boise State did, as will Miami and Missouri in the near future...04-cheers

1) Neither Miami nor Boise average what we do.
2) You better hope you get the first game in the Mizzou series or they'll buy out the return
3) MAC teams wouldn't drub up interest among our base
04-12-2013 01:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.