Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conference USA weighing 16-team model (CBS Sports)
Bookmark and Share
bootinbob Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Conference USA weighing 16-team model (CBS Sports)
(A few days old, but didn't notice this on the board)

Conference USA weighing 16-team model

By Jeremy Fowler

After adding six new football schools for 2013 and Western Kentucky for the year after, Conference USA might not be done.

C-USA is considering expansion to 16 teams in football, commissioner Britton Banowsky said Monday.

Western Kentucky replaces Tulsa as the 14th C-USA member for 2014. Last week, the Golden Hurricanes bolted to the American Athletic Conference, formerly known as the Big East.

“We've modeled it at 16, and it does kind of create some divisions that are a little more geographically connected,” Banowsky said. “We haven't acted on it. I think personally a larger conference is better because you get some efficiencies, you get the benefit of a bigger group. We don't want to lose our identity in the process. We're just kind of moderating the growth at a pace where people are comfortable. It could be folks are just comfortable (at 14).”

Such a proactive move would come during a time of relative small-conference stability -- the AAC, Mountain West and MAC all appear settled. The Sun Belt is deciding whether it wants to dip into the Football Championship Subdivision waters for two more teams.

Banowsky said it's too early to speculate about potential new members, while adding he's not sure how flexible his membership will be after rampant change in recent months.

Arkansas State or Louisiana-Lafayette from the Sun Belt, which has lost several teams to C-USA, could be attractive options.

A 16-team league would give C-USA more mouths to feed but could reduce travel costs if teams played primarily within eight-team, geographically friendly divisions.

“Whether or not you get more revenue is the question,” Banowsky said.

C-USA recently signed a television deal with Fox worth a reported $40-plus million and also has media-rights contracts with CBS and ESPN.

Adding two more teams could be preventative in a way -- if the Big Ten raids again, then the ACC takes from the AAC, the AAC takes from C-USA. Going to 16 now could cut out the middleman.

The rippling effects of realignment have forced some smaller conferences to flesh out membership with FCS schools fast-tracking to Division I.

Appalachian State and Georgia Southern joined the Sun Belt in late March, while James Madison and Liberty are candidates to replace Western Kentucky. C-USA is adding Old Dominion and Charlotte.

With the big-money college football playoff looming, FCS Schools are willing to stretch their resources for a chance at the FBS revenue pie. Jacksonville State, Missouri State, Delaware and others could be knocking on the door eventually.

This trend is nothing new. The realignment era of the early 90s, triggered by SEC/Big Ten expansion, pushed Boise State, Nevada, UCF, USF, UConn and others up the pipe.
04-10-2013 04:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
RE: Conference USA weighing 16-team model (CBS Sports)
(04-10-2013 04:29 PM)bootinbob Wrote:  (A few days old, but didn't notice this on the board)

The realignment era of the early 90s, triggered by SEC/Big Ten expansion, pushed Boise State, Nevada, UCF, USF, UConn and others up the pipe.

Unfortunately a lot of what gets pushed "up the pipe" flows back out as some of this day and age's crappiest college football. For every Boise and Nevada, there's a Sun Belt or some other lower level conference that guarantees the rich get that much richer, and the gap to the poor grows that much wider.
04-10-2013 07:21 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Re: RE: Conference USA weighing 16-team model (CBS Sports)
(04-10-2013 07:21 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(04-10-2013 04:29 PM)bootinbob Wrote:  (A few days old, but didn't notice this on the board)

The realignment era of the early 90s, triggered by SEC/Big Ten expansion, pushed Boise State, Nevada, UCF, USF, UConn and others up the pipe.

Unfortunately a lot of what gets pushed "up the pipe" flows back out as some of this day and age's crappiest college football. For every Boise and Nevada, there's a Sun Belt or some other lower level conference that guarantees the rich get that much richer, and the gap to the poor grows that much wider.

Check your conference rankings last year.
04-10-2013 07:44 PM
niucyberdawg Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
always has been , always will be about the money or lack of it when talking college athletics in general and now the realignmernt epidemic ......i dont have a clue what if much it all means eventually for NIU and MAC.
04-13-2013 12:11 PM
sarasotahuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
(04-10-2013 07:44 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  

Can't find any rankings that don't show the MAC ahead of both the Sunbelt and CUSA.
04-15-2013 08:37 AM
Advertisement

HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
(04-15-2013 08:37 AM)sarasotahuskie Wrote:  

Can't find any rankings that don't show the MAC ahead of both the Sunbelt and CUSA.
I wonder if this was more of the point.
2012 Sun Belt > 2012 CUSA
04-15-2013 08:41 AM
sarasotahuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
(04-15-2013 08:41 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

Could be.
04-15-2013 09:34 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Re: RE: Conference USA weighing 16-team model (CBS Sports)

Yes.
04-15-2013 09:35 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
(04-15-2013 09:35 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(04-10-2013 07:21 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  Unfortunately a lot of what gets pushed "up the pipe" flows back out as some of this day and age's crappiest college football. For every Boise and Nevada, there's a Sun Belt or some other lower level conference that guarantees the rich get that much richer, and the gap to the poor grows that much wider.

Yes.

No doubt about that.
04-15-2013 09:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.