grol Offline
Baseball Fan

I Root For: Rice Owls

Donators
Berkman off to a hot start
Berkman's offensive stats this morning:

.480 / .594 / .760

Leading the majors in OB%
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2013 07:47 AM by grol.)
04-10-2013 07:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
RE: Berkman off to a hot start
Texas, Arlington Stadium and the DH seems like a very good fit for Lance. It probably doesn't hurt that he'll get to feast on the Astros for a good chunk of the schedule, and the Angels just lost their top pitcher for perhaps the first half of the season.

If he stays healthy, Lance might have several good seasons left in him after all. For sure, the DH suits him perfectly as it allows him to do two of the things he enjoys the most - hit and talk (which I'm sure he does plenty of on the bench in-between his at-bats).
04-10-2013 08:00 AM
grol Offline
Baseball Fan

Donators
(04-10-2013 08:00 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  For sure, the DH suits him perfectly as it allows him to do two of the things he enjoys the most - hit and talk (which I'm sure he does plenty of on the bench in-between his at-bats).

He'll miss those conversations with runners at first base.
04-10-2013 08:59 AM
mrbig Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
Rice sure could use some of Coach Berkman's skills!
04-10-2013 09:26 AM
DFW Owl Offline
1st String

New Orleans Bowl
I've watched more Rangers baseball on TV so far this year than all of last year to catch Berkman at-bats. So far he is doing just a bit better than the previous #3 hitter is doing with the Angels.
04-10-2013 02:46 PM
Caelligh Offline
La Asesina

I Root For: Rice U

New Orleans BowlDonators
(04-10-2013 09:26 AM)mrbig Wrote:  Rice sure could use some of Coach Berkman's skills!

I have seen people post here before about Berkman turning to coaching one day. Why do people think that he would become a coach and would be good at it? I'm not questioning his potential in that area; I just don't recall seeing anything that suggested he was interested in coaching.
04-11-2013 10:22 PM
Advertisement

ausowl Online
1st String

I Root For: New Orleans

New Orleans Bowl
(04-11-2013 10:22 PM)Caelligh Wrote:  
(04-10-2013 09:26 AM)mrbig Wrote:  Rice sure could use some of Coach Berkman's skills!

I have seen people post here before about Berkman turning to coaching one day. Why do people think that he would become a coach and would be good at it? I'm not questioning his potential in that area; I just don't recall seeing anything that suggested he was interested in coaching.

from a Chronicle article last year:

"Coaching is something I want to pursue after I am done playing," Berkman said. "If you have any aspirations to be a college baseball coach, the one guy you want to learn from is coach Graham."
04-11-2013 10:26 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
He might find a spot in a broadcast booth somewhere.
04-12-2013 01:42 AM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(04-12-2013 01:42 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  He might find a spot in a broadcast booth somewhere.

JP and Lance....my head spins.03-lmfao
04-12-2013 07:41 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(04-12-2013 07:41 AM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 01:42 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  He might find a spot in a broadcast booth somewhere.

JP and Lance....my head spins.03-lmfao

Well, FBO said he likes to talk, and I think broadcasting is both easier and more lucrative than coaching, so if that is an option when he is done playing, that might be a barrier to us getting him as a coach.
04-12-2013 09:28 AM
smackdaddy Offline
All American

Lance just knocked home 2 runs with a 2-out single, upping his average to a tidy .333, then scored on a Nelson Cruz homer. It was 0-0 through 3 innings, and it's now 9-0 Rangers mid-4th after a 9-run explosion. Poor Angels pitcher David Carpenter's ERA just jumped up to 108.00. Ouch. I wonder what Josh Hamilton, his .218 BA, and his team's 8-11 record are thinking...
04-24-2013 10:42 PM
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

Quote: I wonder what Josh Hamilton, his .218 BA, and his team's 8-11 record are thinking...

Hamilton and 'thinking' don't belong in the same sentence...
04-24-2013 10:49 PM
smackdaddy Offline
All American

And Lance plates two more with a 2-run homer in the 6th. That's 4 RBI through 6 innings. The statistician says that's Lance's first-ever HR in Anaheim, his 32nd stadium to homer in. Wow. I don't know all of the golden-age Owls as some of you do, but is Berkman the greatest Rice athlete of the modern era?? No question he's top 3.

Watch him turn on his pitch here: BERKMAN HOMERS IN ANAHEIM
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2013 11:50 PM by smackdaddy.)
04-24-2013 11:47 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
I think if he makes the Hall of Fame (which will likely require a few more years of playing), then he's the #1 pro athlete period. The only pro athletes we've produced who compare to him at this point are Tommy Kramer and Ricky Pierce IMO.

By the way, I realize he was hurt most of last year so it's not a fair comparison, but he's already equaled his 2012 numbers pretty much this year already (2 HR, 12 RBI). He's currently leading the AL in on-base percentage at .475.
04-25-2013 10:09 AM
Hardball Owl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: students

New Orleans BowlFootball Genius
I think any discussion of "best professional athlete who was a Rice graduate" has to include Dr. Frank Ryan.
04-25-2013 10:28 AM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
(04-25-2013 10:28 AM)Hardball Owl Wrote:  I think any discussion of "best professional athlete who was a Rice graduate" has to include Dr. Frank Ryan.

Exactly was going to be my point, too. Starts there, IMO, though there have been some track and field performers who've done well on the international stage/medaled, if I'm not mistaken. But technically, those performers were amateurs.

BTW, I stumbled on this SI cover story about Frank Ryan from 1965 when doing a quite Google search. Quite amazing read about him while he was still playing.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/a.../index.htm
04-25-2013 12:17 PM
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Frank Ryan certainly played in a different era than today's NFL QB but his numbers were still impressive. In fact he ranks 124th in career passing yards in NFL history and 79th in TD's (just 3 behind Bart Starr and 4 behind Roger Staubach - two of his contemporaries). But his numbers are still not as good as Tommy Kramer so I'd put him behind Kramer personally.

Berkman ranks 74th in MLB history in homers (he just passed Joe Dimaggio with his homer last night) and 37th all-time in on-base percentage.
04-25-2013 12:24 PM
75src Offline
All American

Both Ryan and King Hill who was in the same year at Rice had long NFL careers at quarterback. I think King Hill had more playing time at
Rice, but I do not know whether or not he received the diploma.

(04-25-2013 10:28 AM)Hardball Owl Wrote:  I think any discussion of "best professional athlete who was a Rice graduate" has to include Dr. Frank Ryan.
04-25-2013 02:25 PM
grOWLer Offline
2nd String

(04-25-2013 02:25 PM)75src Wrote:  Both Ryan and King Hill who was in the same year at Rice had long NFL careers at quarterback. I think King Hill had more playing time at
Rice, but I do not know whether or not he received the diploma.

King did not have the professional success that Frank did. However, as a pure athlete, King would be hard to beat. Not only was he an all-american college quarterback, but one week after football season he was starting for the basketball team, and led the golf team as well. Remember, too, that he played football in the one-platoon era, so not only was he the quarterback, but he also played in the defensive backfield and was the placekicker.
04-25-2013 02:36 PM
grol Offline
Baseball Fan

Donators
(04-25-2013 12:24 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Berkman ranks 74th in MLB history in homers (he just passed Joe Dimaggio with his homer last night) and 37th all-time in on-base percentage.

A 30 homer year moves him up into the mid 50's all-time. It could happen if he stays healthy.

In all time OB% he's currently one percentage point ahead of Bagwell.
04-25-2013 03:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.